New settings in games

dibiase77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dibiase77

So I just watched the PROTOTYPE trailer. Really good looking game, seems awesome...but it made me think of something that hadn't occurred until I watched it. Are you tired of post-apocalyptic urban dystopia/nightmarish hellscapes for your games?

Personally I'd like to play a game set on a space beach, or somewhere that has mai-tais AND giant cyborgs to kill. It's like having your race car and crashing it too.

Just post where YOU want to play. What setting do you personally want to go to that you feel has been underrepresented/never been done before.

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By PowerSerj

I want more games to concentrate on the different Norse-related areas. I'm talking beautifully rendered levels centered around Nifelheim/Muspelheim, Hel, some feasible representation of Yggdrasil; stuff like that. Badassness would ensue.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By PureRok
PowerSerj said:
"I want more games to concentrate on the different Norse-related areas. I'm talking beautifully rendered levels centered around Nifelheim/Muspelheim, Hel, some feasible representation of Yggdrasil; stuff like that. Badassness would ensue."
Yes. I want a game that accurately uses the Norse mythology. Too Human butchered it.
banksrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By banksrob

i want a game that has a setting like medieval total war, lord of the rings, yet plays like oblivion / Fallout

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond
dibiase77 said:
"So I just watched the PROTOTYPE trailer. Really good looking game, seems awesome...but it made me think of something that hadn't occurred until I watched it. Are you tired of post-apocalyptic urban dystopia/nightmarish hellscapes for your games? Personally I'd like to play a game set on a space beach, or somewhere that has mai-tais AND giant cyborgs to kill. It's like having your race car and crashing it too.Just post where YOU want to play. What setting do you personally want to go to that you feel has been underrepresented/never been done before. "
Actually I am tired of urban areas in games.  You especially start to notice how a single game will do one aspect of urban areas very poorly and other parts well.

I have a feeling that every setting has been done.  Only if you think of totally crazy stuff, has it not been done.

I like deciduous forests, but they're pretty well represented in games.  I'd like to hear more sound variety in games, lots of the forest sounds in games seem to come from generic soundbanks or uninspired developers simply leaving the building and recording birds from suburbs, and you only hear a small portion of the variety that should be covered.

What I really wish more games would do is make more variety in environments, I know that's a lot of strain on artists and developers, but that's one thing I always loved in older games.  Mario Bros 3 had you going to ice lands and grass lands and desert and firey areas, giant land and in pipe areas...  MOST old games did stuff like that.

Now we have games that are like 'The whole game takes place in Africa' or 'the whole game takes place in a city', and sure that city is way more detailed than anything we could have seen a few years ago, but it gets boring.
neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By neoepoch

Space...no. Hell...no. In a city...no. I got it! Canada.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Gizmo

Zombie survival MMO on a jungle using the Killzone 2 engine.

=epic win

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PowerSerj said:
"I want more games to concentrate on the different Norse-related areas. I'm talking beautifully rendered levels centered around Nifelheim/Muspelheim, Hel, some feasible representation of Yggdrasil; stuff like that. Badassness would ensue."
Yeah, 
A decent Viking game would be badass, 
I feel the need to point this out some more, an warhammer 40,000 bioware made rpg, would be epic win. 
I am kinda tired of post-apocalyptic settings. 
dibiase77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dibiase77
Diamond said:
What I really wish more games would do is make more variety in environments, I know that's a lot of strain on artists and developers, but that's one thing I always loved in older games.  Mario Bros 3 had you going to ice lands and grass lands and desert and firey areas, giant land and in pipe areas...  MOST old games did stuff like that.Now we have games that are like 'The whole game takes place in Africa' or 'the whole game takes place in a city', and sure that city is way more detailed than anything we could have seen a few years ago, but it gets boring."

I think the desire for developers is to fully accentuate one area of interaction. They want to totally capture a feel of an environment. But in the case of a Fallout (even though the example is overused) one oppressive environment or even one that is too repetitive in nature will make it stagnant.

I also like your other point about sound...WHAT IF there was a game that encouraged the use of headphones? I'm talking even about a console, not just PC or handheld...where the player's response to sound in the game is an important factor.

All we would need next is scratch and sniff cards.  LOL
Avatar image for snoopeasystreet
snoopeasystreet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By snoopeasystreet

I would love to see a game set during french revolution. I was stoked at rumor of Assain's Creed 2 being set at that time. That said, the renaissance is pretty cool also.

Demo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Demo

Boring scenery was one of the reasons I ditched Gears of War 1 & 2 and ignored others like Resistance. The whole games have that brownish aura that is as amusing to watch as a pile of melting compost, fragrant during the summer. Not that they're bad, but they seriously lost my interest.

I would like a game set on a spaceship with monsters that is akin to a 70's Sci-Fi movie. Lots of pointless lights around the vessel, vibrant colors, varied hairstyles, unusual aliens and so on. Oh, and not a sset-self-destruct-and-run type ending.