#1 Posted by WolfHazard (472 posts) -

The humble THQ bundle convinced me to download Steam as I couldn't pass up Metro and SR3 for 5 bones. Anyway, I don't currently have a computer and I downloaded Steam/the bundle on my girlfriends laptop, my question is can I download the Steam app on my computer when I build it next month, or are the games/steam client now tied to my girlfriends computer? I never played PC games before and my only familiarity with DRM stuff is on my 360, which is a major haste to deal with when switching systems. Thank you.

#2 Posted by ajamafalous (12007 posts) -

Steam games are tied to your account, not the computer you download them on. You can log into your account on any computer, then download the games on that computer and play them.

#3 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1182 posts) -

They are tied to your steam account and you can redownload them on your computer when it's ready.

#4 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4369 posts) -

All of your games are tied to your account. Sign into your account on the computer you want to install them on and you're good to go.

#5 Posted by WolfHazard (472 posts) -

Awesome, thanks for the fast responses. However, how does that stop someone from signing on all third friends computers and downloading the games for everyone? I can't imagine there's no DRM, can you only be logged into Steam on one PC at a time?

#6 Posted by ajamafalous (12007 posts) -
@WolfHazard said:
Awesome, thanks for the fast responses. However, how does that stop someone from signing on all third friends computers and downloading the games for everyone? I can't imagine there's no DRM, can you only be logged into Steam on one PC at a time?
To play (98% of) the games, you need to be logged into the Steam app and then launch the game from within the Steam app. You can technically only be logged into a specific Steam account on one computer at a time (though there are a few ways around this (offline mode), but you won't have access to many features in offline mode).
#7 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1182 posts) -
@WolfHazard said:
Steam is DRM, you need to log in to play them and logging in on another computer will either not work or knock the other person off, I forget which.
#8 Posted by WolfHazard (472 posts) -

Awesome, thanks everyone.