This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by len1444 (36 posts) -

That UPF just now was terrible. It had no direction, every game they played there was no effort, I was even bored with vinny's game this week, and that never happens. The only thing good I can say about it was that the talks were pretty entertaining but other than that, are they even trying anymore? Thoughts?

#2 Edited by ottoman673 (516 posts) -

...it's unprofessional, why are you asking for direction or effort?

also, Drew convinced me to buy Space Engineer, so there's that

and it's kind of odd that a non-premium is bitching about a premium stream, eh?

#3 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2161 posts) -

How did you even watch it?

#4 Edited by Hassun (1165 posts) -

There are way too many live streams going on these days. There is a literal tidal wave of them coming. Many featuring the bombardiers as well.

I didn't even expect them to do one today to be honest.

#5 Edited by schreiberty (208 posts) -

Shut your dirty mouth.

#6 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Isn't that an excuse more than an explanation?

#7 Posted by joshwent (2207 posts) -

At first I didn't know how to feel about anything, but thanks to this post's sage guidance, I now know that today's UPF was bad. Please, please let us know about every other thing you're slightly disappointed with. THE WORLD NEEDS TO KNOW!

#8 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -
#9 Posted by ottoman673 (516 posts) -

@ottoman673 said:

Not exactly. Back when the Wednesday show was a thing, we pretty much knew 'hey, these games came out and we're going to play this, this and that this week. You know exactly what you're getting.' whereas the entire premise of UPF, as far as i know, is that it's just duders sitting on a live stream, fucking around playing whatever game they want.

So aside from picking a game to play for a half hour, seems pretty direction-less to me.

#10 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

So aside from picking a game to play for a half hour, seems pretty direction-less to me.

What about the effort?

And why are people so ready to shut down discussion in general? The first few posts have essentially told this guy to shut his dirty mouth.

#11 Posted by TheManiacsGnome (270 posts) -

Must have been all the talk of how the PS4 and Xbox One aren't the leap everyone had hoped that has got people down on this UPF. Space Engineer was great, the conversation was great and yeah knocking down expectations on the consoles. It all makes for a great show.

#12 Posted by ottoman673 (516 posts) -

@ottoman673 said:

What about the effort?

And why are people so ready to shut down discussion in general? The first few posts have essentially told this guy to shut his dirty mouth.

He's non-premium, what the fuck is he doing watching, let alone complaining about a stream he in all reality shouldn't be able to watch?

And what effort do you need? Go on stream, play a video game, facilitate conversation while drinking. Seems pretty simple to me.

#13 Posted by Thompson820 (410 posts) -

I bet the staff appreciate non-paying members watching premium streams with passwords they find on 4chan and then seeing fit to level criticism for the content they're not paying for. Must give them a real warm fuzzy feeling!

#14 Posted by TheHT (11266 posts) -

I enjoyed it.

#15 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5513 posts) -

I thought it was fine, because the talk made up for some of the more uninteresting games.

@video_game_king said:

@ottoman673 said:

What about the effort?

He's non-premium, what the fuck is he doing watching, let alone complaining about a stream he in all reality shouldn't be able to watch?

And what effort do you need? Go on stream, play a video game, facilitate conversation while drinking. Seems pretty simple to me.

I didn't even notice this. It kind of immediately downplays any kind of real conversation here when your complaining about something you shouldn't even have access to.

#16 Posted by Genfuyung (235 posts) -

Felt the same way. I gave up and just listened to the audio while i played something on my own.

#17 Posted by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

Well, you didn't have to watch it so... I'm not seeing the problem here. They fully admit that they never plan these shows out. Thus the name of the damn show. Like, what the fuck are you expecting?

#18 Posted by CynicalBuzzard (240 posts) -

I had no problem with this week's UPF.

#19 Edited by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

@dallas_raines said:

Yeah, how did you even watch it?

I didn't see tonight's but the last few have been pretty great.

#20 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

I enjoyed this weeks.

The two previous ones however were pretty bad being pretty much a mailbag with them eating candy for half an hour.

#21 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

And that makes this discussion not worth having?

There's room to fuck up anywhere in those, you know. You still need to put in effort to entertain your audience doing this.

#22 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2161 posts) -

@ottoman673 said:

There's room to fuck up anywhere in those, you know. You still need to put in effort to entertain your audience doing this.

Sure, there's room for criticism and discussion, but it shouldn't start from the mouth of a pirate.

#23 Posted by planetfunksquad (437 posts) -

Todays show was slightly more boring than usual, but hey, lemme ask you something.

How the fuck did you watch it son?

#24 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3313 posts) -

Tonight's was okay. but it was basically a podcast half the time.

#25 Edited by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

@ottoman673 said:

Like I said, I haven't seen tonight's show, but even if this week's was god awful the last few weeks have been pretty terrific, I believe, so is one bad week really worth bitching about? If it gets to be 3 or so weeks of bad shows in a row then maybe we can start having this sort of discussion.

#26 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

@ottoman673 said:

Like I said, I haven't seen tonight's show, but even if this week's was god awful the last few weeks have been pretty terrific, I believe, so is one bad week really worth bitching about? If it gets to be 3 or so weeks of bad shows in a row then maybe we can start having this sort of discussion.

Hooray for a comment that doesn't immediately shut down discussion!

Boo for a comment that doesn't immediately bump the Dragon Quest V thread!

#27 Posted by ViciousReiven (821 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

@ottoman673 said:

Sure, there's room for criticism and discussion, but it shouldn't start from the mouth of a pirate.

Way to make assumptions, I also am not a premium member because I don't have a way to pay for it, so a friend an I just watch them at their place since they do, I don't even have access to his account we just load 'em up on the TV and sit back and watch. That's proper sharing.

#28 Posted by AMyggen (3051 posts) -

@viciousreiven: It's not exactly a big leap, is it? And even if he watched legally, he should expect that people would make those assumptions when he posted from a non-premium account without explaining how he watched it.

Anyways, yeah, not the best UPF. But I've really loved the last 3-4 UPFs, and this had a couple of good segments, so it's all good.

#29 Posted by Eviternal (193 posts) -

Here's my two cents on tonight's episode: Drew and Vinny's "games about making things and are they actually games?" segments were enjoyable and I learned about a couple of games I hadn't heard of before. Candies with Brad was intriguing to begin with - I was interested to see if the game went in a non-sequitur direction or two like Frog Fractions, but as it developed (or failed to do so) I found it bland and ultimately felt that segment overstayed its welcome. (Perhaps the game becomes more involved/humorous later, but that's beside the point.)

I didn't feel that the Dualshock 4 and next-gen discussions brought anything new to the table. I'm willing to be corrected, but I don't think the duders made any points that they haven't previously. Overall I think tonight's episode was dull, but most have been great in the past so I'll continue to tune in.

Re the broader topic here: It's tough to have a critical discussion of Giant Bomb's work due to their informal style. In my opinion, GB's core tenet is to be honest - this results in most of their content being no-frills, candid opinions about games and the industry (and food). This can be a blessing and a curse because on one hand people are justified in saying "It's called Unprofessional for a reason" and on the other it is understandable to expect quality content from professionals, especially when the content requires an additional level of payment directly from the consumers.

I often think of things I'd like to see change here, but ultimately the "fuck it, we're doing it THIS way" attitude of Giant Bomb pays off for me in the long run, and that prevents me from getting too pissed about any particular issue.

#30 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

Wait a second did Brad play Candy Box 2?

I retract my previous statement we need to murder Unprofessional Friday's and burn the body.

#31 Posted by Andorski (5310 posts) -
#32 Edited by PulledaBrad (612 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

@ottoman673 said:

Not exactly. Back when the Wednesday show was a thing, we pretty much knew 'hey, these games came out and we're going to play this, this and that this week. You know exactly what you're getting.' whereas the entire premise of UPF, as far as i know, is that it's just duders sitting on a live stream, fucking around playing whatever game they want.

My only complaint over the past few weeks would be that they stay on some games far too long after they have worn out their welcome. Moving On!

#33 Edited by ejiehi (123 posts) -

With the quality and quantity of content this week, last week, and apparently next week (barring changes in GB staffs plans) one off show isn't that big a deal.

#34 Posted by joshwent (2207 posts) -

Okay, to add a bit to my unproductively sarcastic post above, I'll make an actual point.

UPF is an improv show. Many of the games are being seen by the crew themselves for the first time, which can add a lot to the hilarity. Sometimes though, like any loose unplanned thing, it can fall flat.

The correct response is to shrug and move on with your life. We don't need threads "discussing" every thing on this site that someone wasn't thrilled with.

(or, at least, just hold your thoughts for the monthly, "things were so better before. ____ sucks. ___'s not funny. I pay good money for this. this site is done" thread)

#35 Posted by Griffball (3 posts) -

This dude is like a pirate complaining about bugs in the game he didn't pay for.

#36 Edited by Griffball (3 posts) -

@joshwent said:

Okay, to add a bit to my unproductively sarcastic post above, I'll make an actual point.

UPF is an improv show. Many of the games are being seen by the crew themselves for the first time, which can add a lot to the hilarity. Sometimes though, like any loose unplanned thing, it can fall flat.

The correct response is to shrug and move on with your life. We don't need threads "discussing" every thing on this site that someone wasn't thrilled with.

(or, at least, just hold your thoughts for the monthly, "things were so better before. ____ sucks. ___'s not funny. I pay good money for this. this site is done" thread)

Except he DOESN'T pay good money for this.

#37 Edited by GalacticPunt (1057 posts) -

@thompson820 said:

I bet the staff appreciate non-paying members watching premium streams with passwords they find on 4chan and then seeing fit to level criticism for the content they're not paying for. Must give them a real warm fuzzy feeling!

This dude is like a pirate complaining about bugs in the game he didn't pay for.

Says all that needs to be said. Now let's continue to enjoy Oktobercast for 15 more hours.

http://www.tested.com/tech/458651-testing-only-test-live/

#38 Posted by cloudymusic (1118 posts) -

UPF is one if those shows that has highs and lows, but when it has highs, it's EXTRAORDINARY. (That Lego Island episode is gold from beginning to end.) So, don't sweat the off weeks (which come far less often than the good weeks) and chill out. Like someone else said, if we have 3+ bad weeks in a row, I'll be right there with you, but I don't think I've ever gone more than 2 weeks in a row where I was underwhelmed. One off week here and there is to be expected from time to time, though.

Even with that said, I still really liked the Space Engineers segment.

#39 Edited by UpsideDownAce (54 posts) -

I thought Brad's segment for this week dragged on way too long, but the past few weeks prior have been hilarious! Every episode can't be outstanding.

#40 Edited by MB (12409 posts) -

I should edit in some creepy Jeff fanfic some dude here wrote years ago into the OP and then lock this topic. Will entertain other ideas for shaming people like this.

#41 Posted by Tajasaurus (867 posts) -

yo did these guys play video games and make jokes? because if they did, great. mission accomplished. but if they didn't then i can understand where these complaints are coming from.

i only saw some of drew's segment, but what i watched was great. doing just a two hour show every week and trying to be constantly entertaining by itself must be really tough, but doing that after producing hours of other content all week is pretty crazy. some things just aren't going to be as captivating as others and that's okay.

#42 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@mb said:

Will entertain other ideas for shaming people like this.

Is "unleashing my Photoshop horrors" one of those ideas :P?

#43 Edited by mrfluke (5155 posts) -

so a pirate is complaining about watching premium content for free............ok

#44 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Not the best UPF I've seen better. It'll probably be better next week, duder. Meanwhile you got Vinsouls and Pathfinder to look forward to.(both which made me resub)

#45 Posted by MB (12409 posts) -

Of course it's entirely possible that this guy has another account that is premium.

#46 Edited by BaconGames (3423 posts) -

@andorski said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@theunsavedhero said:

@dallas_raines said:

Yeah, how did you even watch it?

All I want now is an answer to this question.

It's pretty apparent dude is finding a way to watching it without the proper credentials. HOWEVER, what gets me is how the complaint is so vague and generic as if it were written by someone who didn't in fact watch it and just put it together the best they could.

#47 Edited by Bocam (3753 posts) -

@mb said:

Of course it's entirely possible that this guy has another account that is premium.

Isn't having multiple accounts a bannable offense.

#48 Edited by MB (12409 posts) -

@bocam: Yeah but we take it on a case by case basis, and there are still other possible explanations. Such as...maybe he has a friend that is a premium member and they watched the stream together. Any number of things, really.

Anyway, I'm closing this topic as leaving it open isn't helping anything. Non-premium members complaining about premium content can go pound sand down a rathole. @len1444, if you have a second premium account then you are advised to post under that name next time you want to voice some constructive criticism about Giant Bomb's content.