Big deal, no one cares, everything on the internet already does this

#3 Posted by spraynardtatum (2793 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

I think it's kind of bullshit

#4 Edited by mrfluke (5128 posts) -

well then,

glad im jumping over to ps4.

yes, whos to say that sony doesnt have similar terms of service planned?, but sony's messaging i trust them more.

and i believe microsoft was a core partner of the whole nsa prism program?

#5 Posted by JasonR86 (9652 posts) -

Hah! Great! 'You must also agree to buy 10 pieces of content from our content providers each year. By signing this you are stating that you understand that one of those content providers is the devil and that you are totally cool with that.'

#6 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3788 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

I care. Just because most people are sheep doesn't mean we all should be.

#7 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10851 posts) -

I feel like that's going too far!

At least until Sony does that with PSN and then I'm forced to eat my words because I pre-ordered a PS4 and I'm not un-pre-ordering on principle because I have no principles.

Moderator Online
#8 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7071 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

Hah! Great! 'You must also agree to buy 10 pieces of content from our content providers each year. By signing this you are stating that you understand that one of those content providers is the devil and that you are totally cool with that.'

OH SHIT

So is the Dashboard still plastered with ads completely unrelated to anything available on Xbox? If so, this whole thing is even funnier.

#9 Posted by JasonR86 (9652 posts) -
#10 Posted by JJBSterling (175 posts) -

If this is actually a deciding factor for anyone I really feel sorry for them.

#11 Edited by JackBurt0n (64 posts) -

I think this has a lot to do with the integration with Xbox Live that the new apps on the XBOne are going to have. Kinda the same thing that they're doing with Windows 8 apps. Single sign-on is fantastic, but all parties involved have to have the same information. Instead of just your Facebook account, you'll be able to integrate your Xbox Live account with ESPN, Twitch, etc. And guess what, you can probably sign into your account on those services/sites with your xbox live account, similar to how you do with Facebook and say, ESPN.com or twitter when you link accounts. The birthdate is probably for age verification purposes (can't access any M-rated/R-rated content on child accounts, online service blackouts (ESPN regions), etc.)

It sounds similar to what facebook, etc. already do. I'm not worried about it. I think it's BS personally, but as an IT admin, I see where they're coming from when thinking about security.

#12 Posted by spraynardtatum (2793 posts) -

Why?

#13 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7071 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

@mariachimacabre:

I 100% guarantee that there are ads all over that bitch.

Well... can I at least buy my Axe shampoo from XBL now?!

#14 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

This, personally, doesn't affect me. Many of things online does this, and I don't mind sharing my name or birthdate to apps. I rarely use my real birthdate anyways, I'm used to having 1900 as my birth year.

#15 Edited by bigjeffrey (4910 posts) -

Pretty sure both current XBL and PSN terms of service are the same.

XBL as of July, accessed today:

"2.3. What does Microsoft do with my content? You understand that Microsoft may need, and you hereby grant to Microsoft and its affiliates, resellers, distributors, service providers, partners, and/or suppliers the right, to use, modify, adapt, reproduce, distribute, publish and display content posted on the Services. These include your name, gamertag, motto, avatar, or other information you supply in connection with the content. These rights apply solely to the extent necessary to provide the Services."

PSN as of Oct 1, accessed today:

"To have their personal information shared with PlayStation’s/SCEA’s partners, including business partners, promotional partners, licensed software publishers, licensed peripheral makers and other licensees, and other Sony Group Companies so that these partners may send account holders marketing content that these account holders may find of interest."

This was only about a 5 second google, could be more, could be less. The word "partners" shows up like 50 times in both Sony and Microsoft's TOS, as well as "share" like a bajillion times. Only clicked through a couple.

It keeps happening!

and will keep happening unless i shave off all my hair burn off my finger prints live in mountains.

#16 Posted by JasonR86 (9652 posts) -

@mariachimacabre:

Only after you agree to a non-refundable 10-contract for XBL with a variable interest rate aka it's going to go up and up FOREVER!

#18 Posted by spraynardtatum (2793 posts) -

Pretty sure both current XBL and PSN terms of service are the same.

XBL as of July, accessed today:

"2.3. What does Microsoft do with my content? You understand that Microsoft may need, and you hereby grant to Microsoft and its affiliates, resellers, distributors, service providers, partners, and/or suppliers the right, to use, modify, adapt, reproduce, distribute, publish and display content posted on the Services. These include your name, gamertag, motto, avatar, or other information you supply in connection with the content. These rights apply solely to the extent necessary to provide the Services."

PSN as of Oct 1, accessed today:

"To have their personal information shared with PlayStation’s/SCEA’s partners, including business partners, promotional partners, licensed software publishers, licensed peripheral makers and other licensees, and other Sony Group Companies so that these partners may send account holders marketing content that these account holders may find of interest."

This was only about a 5 second google, could be more, could be less. The word "partners" shows up like 50 times in both Sony and Microsoft's TOS, as well as "share" like a bajillion times. Only clicked through a couple.

CTRL C V

Just because they're the same doesn't mean they're not shit.

#19 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@bigjeffrey:

Yeah this had been going on forever. Google and Apple do it on your phones to.

Take off the tin foil hats people.

#20 Posted by Syed117 (387 posts) -

@bigjeffrey: but no.....

Microsoft is the devil and Sony is the savior of all mankind.

The hypocrisy of Sony fans. Does it never end? They are after all intelligent consumers and not sheep like anyone who likes Microsoft for any reason.

#21 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7071 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

@mariachimacabre:

Only after you agree to a non-refundable 10-contract for XBL with a variable interest rate aka it's going to go up and up FOREVER!

Okay well....will I get a coupon for my shampoo, then?

#22 Edited by AlexW00d (6231 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

I swear you'd fucking defend Microsoft even if it turned out they sacrificed a baby for every 360 they sold.

"Eh it's ok cause I get to play CoD and Fifa every year"

#23 Edited by TheHBK (5471 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

well then,

glad im jumping over to ps4.

yes, whos to say that sony doesnt have similar terms of service planned?, but sony's messaging i trust them more.

and i believe microsoft was a core partner of the whole nsa prism program?

You mean how they handled that whole hacking thing and didn't admit to what was going until much later? And MS is an American company. Sony probably sells secrets to the Koreans.

@jdh5153 said:

Shilling like Kurt Shilling, disgusting.

@jjbsterling said:

I feel sorry for you, for you to be such a tool for advertising companies, I really do.

Ugh, why are people so hung up on this crap? Can you please get off the internet because I am sure you are using google chrome and have some kind of smart phone that does the same damn thing and you probably didn't realize it because you are just as much of a tool and didn't read their TOS.

#24 Posted by John1912 (1854 posts) -
#25 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@thehbk:

These people probably never leave their houses, they're afraid of people seeing them and knowing about them

#26 Posted by AMyggen (2784 posts) -

@spraynardtatum: Sure, but some in this thread seem to be saying that MS is worse than Sony when it comes to this kind of sharing, when it's clear that MS and Sony's terms are really, really similar on today's consoles. People need to realize that more or less every big business you give your personal information to will do this shit, it's not "MS being the devil again".

#27 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@john1912:

Same way on Nintendo too. But you know apparently I'm just defending Microsoft.

I bet it's in Giant Bomb's TOS too. Maybe they'll all delete their accounts.

#28 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

@alexw00d said:

@jdh5153 said:

I swear you'd fucking defend Microsoft even if it turned out they sacrificed a baby for every 360 they sold.

"Eh it's ok cause I get to play CoD and Fifa every year"

dude, he's a giant troll and always will be.

#29 Posted by JasonR86 (9652 posts) -

@mariachimacabre:

Only after you agree to an extended warranty on your Xbone and sign a contract prohibiting a lawsuit against Microsoft before, during, and after your purchase.

#30 Posted by AlexW00d (6231 posts) -
#31 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@animasta:

Yes telling the truth is trolling. My bad bro

#32 Edited by Chaser324 (6394 posts) -

It's hard to defend this practice, but by no means is MS the only company doing this. Any time you enter your contact info somewhere, you should just assume that far more people are going to get access to it than just the party you're giving it to initially.

#33 Posted by onyxghost (305 posts) -

Burn off your finger prints! It's the only way!

Fernando....

#34 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@chaser324:

It's not like they just give it out like candy though, it's only shared when you use / download apps and games. Those publishers get your info because you're a customer of their product.

#35 Posted by Syed117 (387 posts) -

Fact: anyone who even for an instance tries to bring logic and objectivity about Microsoft and their policies is a troll.

Fact : the same Sony fans who call others trolls and who constantly create negative Microsoft threads and post nothing but pro Sony information are awesome.

I think we can all agree

#36 Posted by Demoskinos (14730 posts) -

Yeah, among my issues with Microsoft this isn't even in the top 5. Sorry.

#37 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1850 posts) -

This is a normal thing that most subscription based services do. Stop being paranoid and weird.

#38 Posted by iragequit (334 posts) -

@jdh5153: You put your real information on the internet? Crazy

#39 Posted by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

Wow such a clever title....how long did it take you to come up with it? You are subject to the exact same shitty policy right now if you own an xbox360 or Playstation 3.

#40 Posted by believer258 (11775 posts) -

This sucks but I've probably clicked "I agree" on something that says something similar to this already and I don't get boatloads of ads and spam in my inbox.

#41 Posted by mrfluke (5128 posts) -

@thehbk: they still owned up to it, the sony japan team and their ceo publicly bowed in shame and tretton took that E3 conference and apologized.

and lol on saying sony saying they probably sell info to the koreans, i dont deny sony is crooked in their own way, but lol on what your thinking.

#42 Posted by Baillie (4074 posts) -

Everyone being a dick because someone says it's no big deal needs to realise this has been happening for years and guess what? It really is no big deal. You might get some easily unsubscribable spam or something.

#43 Edited by Itwongo (1173 posts) -

Everyone knows everything about me already, so this doesn't really bother me.

#44 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Just to clarify: This doesn't apply to US-citizens.

#45 Posted by Itwongo (1173 posts) -
#46 Posted by oldenglishC (944 posts) -

People are just going to ignore the fact that the Xbone needs electricity to run, and that just pumps more money into the coffers of the coal industry?

STOP DESTROYING THE PLANET, XBOT ASSHOLES!

#47 Posted by alternate (2693 posts) -

Check the Sony T&C. Likely to be similar. Don't you waive your right to class action Sony unless you opt out in writing?

#49 Posted by spraynardtatum (2793 posts) -

Anyone else feel like all this metadata stuff is our times gold rush? It's just normal people can't profit from it. Only big business.

#50 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@spraynardtatum:

Mark Zuckerberg was a normal person and he made millions on it.