New Xbox Experience Download ----> RRoD?

swampwalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By swampwalk

Less than 24 hours ago, after not being on XBox Live for a week, I downloaded the NXE console update.  I came home after work today and proceeded to make my own sweet avatar. 

An hour ago I attempted to turn on my Xbox 360 to partake in some Left 4 Dead goodness.

"No", says my xbox 360!

Then it shows me what I can only assume is the 3 RRod.  I go to Microsoft's website to confirm this. 

WTF??  It may only be coincidental correlation, but I'm curious to see if anyone else has "experienced" this after the latest NXE update.

I have issued a repair request.  I ask that my fellow Giantbombers pray for my consoles safe and swift return.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By daniel_beck_90

No , NXE is fine
and I am sorry nonetheless

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Megalon

Probably a coincidence, though I have read a lot of stuff of the NXE causing people's consoles to freeze (usually during avatar stuff).

Bummer about your console man, I know exactly how you feel, sadly.

swampwalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By swampwalk

predictions of NXE caused RRod:

here

anecdotes:

here
here
here
here

Yeah...  I'm like many people who read forum post upon forum post regarding bricked 360's when the launch systems were having problems.  Like many I felt little sympathy for those affected.  "It's their own fault for buying first generation hardware", or "If they would just take care of their systems they would not be having this problem," is what I would sometimes think. 

Karma's a bitch.

keagan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By keagan

I have had a lot of problems with my box freezing.

JohnDudebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JohnDudebro

Red rings happen all the time. Every update they've ever put out has been tied to it at some point, and it never seems to actually be connected.

You got a red ring, it sucks, but the NXE probably had nothing to do with it.
StrakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By StrakAttack

everytime a major firmware update is released for 360 some read ringed... i don't think it's the firmware's fault, it's just 360s being on for extended periods of time and such. 

swampwalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By swampwalk
Don't get me wrong, I'm not shouting conspiracy or shenanigans on the part of Microsoft.  Since I don't have anything to play at the moment, I'm very interested in following the various banter that's been popping up this weekend regarding NXE. 

The article here has some pretty interesting user experiences in the comment section following it.

Some examples:

So, because a few people report problems it’s a giant buggy mess? What about the millions without problems? Any large system update on ANY platform will have some issues, and this is no different. The NXE is in no way a failure.

Today I got my first RROD on my 360, after update wos done my Xbox restarded with 3 red lights blinking, no picture. After 2nd restart the RROD gone, the picture came.No problems with games or , freezing or audio. Just issues with some Xbox live/game demos downloads. My 360 is ON 3 hours allready I hope everything is OK with the hardware.
Also a PS3 owner.

Well, I downloaded the upgrade. My system froze AFTER the upgrade reported being finished. Upon trying to restart it, I got the three red rings of death. Going to let it sit for a while and see what happens. What do I do if it IS officially dead?? I haven’t had it for three years yet, am I still covered?

Update today, no longer any audio over HDMI, got one red ring and E70…box is ONE WEEK OLD.

Actually my xbox got RROD’d today because of it.. I’m sooooooo disappointed because of it too.. I downloaded the update this morning and had to go to school so as soon as I got home I turned on the xbox and started playing it.. I was going through all of the cool new features.. after I thought I had seen enough I popped in Halo 3.. a little message came up from halo 3 that said saving the game to the hard drive could slow things down tramendously and then just as I was about to push “A” to skip the screen went black.. I restarted my xbox and got the RROD.. So I turned it off and was about ready to weep.. I left the console off for a couple of minutes and started it again and then it started like normal and everything seemed to be going fine for about 5 minutes and then it did the exact same thing.. So I disconnected my Xbox and took it out in the garage and blew it out and LOTS of dust came out..
Started it up again and it worked for about 15 minutes this time and I actually got about halfway through a Halo game.. and.. BAM RROD.. sooooooooo BOOO.. As of right now i’m just gonna let my xbox sit for a while seeing as how the longer i left it off the longer it worked.. who knows.. i’m sure its toast but i’m crossin my fingers..

Just FYI, never had a problem with my 360. I downloaded the NXE this morning, and I am sending my machine to Microsoft tomorrow, and while on the phone with support (this was after the 3 rings of death) I could hear many many people telling their customers the same thing I was hearing. But they still never admitted it. When asked she said, oh no people are just calling because they are excited about the NXE. Hmmm I know when I like a product so much the first thing I do is call support.

I love my 360, also have a ps3 mainly for Blu-Ray. But don’t think this is cooked up by some PS3 fanboy. unfortunatly for some of us, it’s reality. Hope to be back in the game in 2 to 4 weeks!

If nothing else, you can see just how many people still don't use Firefox, or just don't care

: P

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Wolverine

Same thing happened to me :(

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By DARKIDO07

Funny you should mention this...Gears of War 2 (installed on my HDD) took about 2-3 minutes to load (not the game but loading saved games and previous checkpoints after I died.) today and my console took an extra 30 seconds to shut off.....I'm guess I will RROD pretty soon. Just hope if it does, I get my freakin system back before Christmas.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#11  Edited By mike

It's coincidental.  Just because a car's engine blew while driving down 2nd Street doesn't mean that 2nd Street causes engines to explode.

swampwalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By swampwalk
MB said:
"It's coincidental.  Just because a car's engine blew while driving down 2nd Street doesn't mean that 2nd Street causes engines to explode."
1.  Not disagreeing with you at all about it being coincidental.  I have already said as much.

2.  That's a poor analogy.
GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By GioVANNI

Yeah, I'm not gonna play my 360 until December, because my 360 needs a rest.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By PufferFiz

i don't really think there is a strong connection. but iv been thinking that maybe the NXE is more stressful on the system then the old dashboard was.