New Year Forward, or What I'm looking forward to this year

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

Edited By JackiJinx
The long, winding road of some philosophical life ramblings. And 2012.

I'm not one for New Year's Resolutions, so I haven't made an exception of this year. You know something? I'm sure you do! But what I mean is, I'm into thinking about what I'll probably do this new year and what I'm looking forward to, you know (you know!), instead of making promises that are easy to break.They're more simple, cleaner, and a week late.

So, without further ado and cliché...

LIFE!

I'll keep this brief.

This is what makes a fun time: a suicide king.

Just graduated college, so I'm looking forward to getting a new job. I know, I know! The job market isn't exactly the friendliest right now, but I'm confident that I'll be able to find something with the experience that I have. Anything is better than the minimum wage jobs I've worked in the past...probably.

To coincide with this, I'm looking forward to moving out again. As much as I love my family, I will be a lot saner in a living facility that does not accompany them. And more free. Gotta love free stuff! Except...well, when you have to pay for it :(

Last in life itself, new friends! Sort of! I reunited with some of my high school/previous college's friends and have found excellent game compatriots in them, so I'm looking forward to spending more time wasting my free time on Apples to Apples, Catan, Egyptian Ratscrew (champion), and all sorts of other games with them this year.

Now, onto the part everyone loves

GAMES!

Clearly, not something expected to be written about on this site. Ever.

This past year, I haven't been keeping as close an eye on the gaming world as I would have liked to, and that's an awful shame. I know more about what's going on in the real world than the gaming world. I'm sure there's a good chunk of you ashamed of me right now, and for that, there's no apology big enough to give, so I'll just say you're welcome. You need someone to be ashamed of, and that someone might as well be stuffy ol' me.

End of digression.

2012 games that I'm looking forward to include:

• Utopia 2.0: acrophobia edition
    Utopia 2.0: acrophobia edition
    BioShock Infinite

The original BioShock is what prompted me to jump into an Xbox. That, and Sneak King (If you think I'm joking, you clearly do not know me very well). Both of the games are unique and give perspectives that I generally try to avoid: one of a drug enhanced deviant, and another of drug enhanced advertiser. With their powers combined, they give birth to BioShock Infinite! Or not really. That would be an interesting game wouldn't it?

So what was I talking about again? Oh right, Infinite.

I skipped out on the second one for the time being as while the multiplayer looks compelling, the story does not. And that's what's got me hooked onto this new one: story. The story, visuals, sound, and new home to similar, inevitable disaster. It's like the cake I've always dreamed of, or, you know (know), a good game. Probably.

• My favorite screen of the game so far.
    My favorite screen of the game so far.
    Mass Effect 3

I love the Mass Effect universe. There's no other reason I'd have bought all the DLC of the first game and gotten every last achievement had I not. Well, that's not entirely true, but I certainly would have never gone back to Antibaar with my Adept (no sniper from previous play either) on insanity for hours and hours had I not cared. I loved my renegade Shepard too much to just drop her at that point and made due, then went through the game a few additional times to see what else I missed. While I still haven't finished going through the entire second game yet, it's going to happen. And it will happen to the third one, as long as it takes after its brother and sister...and not their distant cousin.

• (Inevitable) Skyrim DLC
    No Keeper simulation DLC, please. That's my one plea.

I am still playing this game weeks after I got it. Normally that'd just say that I'm busy and playing a few hours a week, but balls to that. I think most people understand the depth of Skyrim even better than I have come to learn. The closest games to Skyrim I've played previously are the Might and Magic games. Seriously. I borrowed Oblivion from the library once, but due to compute compatibility/fire issues, the depth was not meant to be. That's not to say I didn't love any of the Might and Magic games, oh that couldn't be less the case. But the customization of things to do is just not comparable at all. Back when Might and Magic VII and VIII were out, I was amazed of course, but the ability to switch warrior, mage, and thief skills on the fly is not something most games can or could do. That is what makes Skyrim so glorious (duh).

So continuing on DLC, I will soon need more excuses to keep playing it. Soon probably means another two weeks. In the next two weeks, I demand instant gratifying DLC. Make it so, Bethesda. I know you're working on it.

• Racecar driving, cute? Only Kairosoft and Nintendo can do it.
    Racecar driving, cute? Only Kairosoft and Nintendo can do it.
    New Kairosoft games

I am a sucker for cute, isometric, pixelated graphics attached to Japanese things. So I'm a sucker for Kairosoft games. I must be as I own all their English releases. I even got Grand Prix Story, something I didn't think I'd do since I'm rather opposed to things that make me think of NASCAR, but it happened. Chibi NASCAR minus scary rednecks chugging beer and wasting gasoline. That, is the NASCAR that is huggable, squeezable, and all around lovable. And complex apparently since I still haven't unlocked everything.

This year, I need more of the good five dollar addictions Kairosoft has been dishing out. More Game Dev Story, more Mall Story, more heartbreak.

• Absurd games, good or not; they shall arrive and I shall love they
    Absurd games, good or not; they shall arrive and I shall love they
    Stupid, goofy games

Take a quick look at my wishlist. I'm not showing this off to get anyone ideas, but show what it is I truly appreciate in games: unique, quirky experiences. Good is almost a secondary factor in my decision of what to play. Almost. Let's take Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper for example. While certainly not a great game by any means, how many other games have you slit the throat of pigs heads? Or depict Dr. Watson as a deceased hooker for research purposes? Not as many as there should be, and while these factors do not make a game great, they do make them worth playing if just for those WTF moments. They're worth playing to me, at least. It's what makes games so wonderful at times. I look forward to more WTFery this year.

And that's it! Disappointed? Too fucking bad! Here's a video of a cat riding a turtle. Have a happy 2012!

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JackiJinx

I'm not one for New Year's Resolutions, so I haven't made an exception of this year. You know something? I'm sure you do! But what I mean is, I'm into thinking about what I'll probably do this new year and what I'm looking forward to, you know (you know!), instead of making promises that are easy to break.They're more simple, cleaner, and a week late.

So, without further ado and cliché...

LIFE!

I'll keep this brief.

Just graduated college, so I'm looking forward to getting a new job. I know, I know! The job market isn't exactly the friendliest right now, but I'm confident that I'll be able to find something with the experience that I have. Anything is better than the minimum wage jobs I've worked in the past...probably.

To coincide with this, I'm looking forward to moving out again. As much as I love my family, I will be a lot saner in a living facility that does not accompany them. And more free. Gotta love free stuff! Except...well, when you have to pay for it :(

Last in life itself, new friends! Sort of! I reunited with some of my high school/previous college's friends and have found excellent game compatriots in them, so I'm looking forward to spending more time wasting my free time on Apples to Apples, Catan, Egyptian Ratscrew (champion), and all sorts of other games with them this year.

Now, onto the part everyone loves

GAMES!

Clearly, not something expected to be written about on this site. Ever.

This past year, I haven't been keeping as close an eye on the gaming world as I would have liked to, and that's an awful shame. I know more about what's going on in the real world than the gaming world. I'm sure there's a good chunk of you ashamed of me right now, and for that, there's no apology big enough to give, so I'll just say you're welcome. You need someone to be ashamed of, and that someone might as well be stuffy ol' me.

End of digression.

2012 games that I'm looking forward to include:

• Utopia 2.0: acrophobia edition
    Utopia 2.0: acrophobia edition
    BioShock Infinite

The original BioShock is what prompted me to jump into an Xbox. That, and Sneak King (If you think I'm joking, you clearly do not know me very well). Both of the games are unique and give perspectives that I generally try to avoid: one of a drug enhanced deviant, and another of drug enhanced advertiser. With their powers combined, they give birth to BioShock Infinite! Or not really. That would be an interesting game wouldn't it?

So what was I talking about again? Oh right, Infinite.

I skipped out on the second one for the time being as while the multiplayer looks compelling, the story does not. And that's what's got me hooked onto this new one: story. The story, visuals, sound, and new home to similar, inevitable disaster. It's like the cake I've always dreamed of, or, you know (know), a good game. Probably.

• My favorite screen of the game so far.
    My favorite screen of the game so far.
    Mass Effect 3

I love the Mass Effect universe. There's no other reason I'd have bought all the DLC of the first game and gotten every last achievement had I not. Well, that's not entirely true, but I certainly would have never gone back to Antibaar with my Adept (no sniper from previous play either) on insanity for hours and hours had I not cared. I loved my renegade Shepard too much to just drop her at that point and made due, then went through the game a few additional times to see what else I missed. While I still haven't finished going through the entire second game yet, it's going to happen. And it will happen to the third one, as long as it takes after its brother and sister...and not their distant cousin.

• (Inevitable) Skyrim DLC

I am still playing this game weeks after I got it. Normally that'd just say that I'm busy and playing a few hours a week, but balls to that. I think most people understand the depth of Skyrim even better than I have come to learn. The closest games to Skyrim I've played previously are the Might and Magic games. Seriously. I borrowed Oblivion from the library once, but due to compute compatibility/fire issues, the depth was not meant to be. That's not to say I didn't love any of the Might and Magic games, oh that couldn't be less the case. But the customization of things to do is just not comparable at all. Back when Might and Magic VII and VIII were out, I was amazed of course, but the ability to switch warrior, mage, and thief skills on the fly is not something most games can or could do. That is what makes Skyrim so glorious (duh).

So continuing on DLC, I will soon need more excuses to keep playing it. Soon probably means another two weeks. In the next two weeks, I demand instant gratifying DLC. Make it so, Bethesda. I know you're working on it.

• Racecar driving, cute? Only Kairosoft and Nintendo can do it.
    Racecar driving, cute? Only Kairosoft and Nintendo can do it.
    New Kairosoft games

I am a sucker for cute, isometric, pixelated graphics attached to Japanese things. So I'm a sucker for Kairosoft games. I must be as I own all their English releases. I even got Grand Prix Story, something I didn't think I'd do since I'm rather opposed to things that make me think of NASCAR, but it happened. Chibi NASCAR minus scary rednecks chugging beer and wasting gasoline. That, is the NASCAR that is huggable, squeezable, and all around lovable. And complex apparently since I still haven't unlocked everything.

This year, I need more of the good five dollar addictions Kairosoft has been dishing out. More Game Dev Story, more Mall Story, more heartbreak.

• Absurd games, good or not; they shall arrive and I shall love they
    Absurd games, good or not; they shall arrive and I shall love they
    Stupid, goofy games

Take a quick look at my wishlist. I'm not showing this off to get anyone ideas, but show what it is I truly appreciate in games: unique, quirky experiences. Good is almost a secondary factor in my decision of what to play. Almost. Let's take Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper for example. While certainly not a great game by any means, how many other games have you slit the throat of pigs heads? Or depict Dr. Watson as a deceased hooker for research purposes? Not as many as there should be, and while these factors do not make a game great, they do make them worth playing if just for those WTF moments. They're worth playing to me, at least. It's what makes games so wonderful at times. I look forward to more WTFery this year.

And that's it! Disappointed? Too fucking bad! Here's a video of a cat riding a turtle. Have a happy 2012!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#2  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Oh yeah. You're the other person on these forums who has ever played any of the Might and Magic games that I love so much. Yeah, Skyrim DLC will probably be alright. That cat is totally riding that tortoise.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By crusader8463

TL;DR. OMG KITTY SO CUTE =^_^=

EDIT:Any who, good luck finding a new job. I think by the end of the year if things don't change at the place I'm working I will be looking for a new one too. The shifts are just terrible, and I'm sick of them completely changing it every few weeks to something completely random. The big thing for me this year is probably gonna be that I may be moving out of the house finally, and getting an apartment with a guy I met at work. He's a good guy and we get along well, but he's not very dependable when it comes to the money so I'm worried about getting in there then getting stuck with bills and shit like that.

As for games, I got a backlog of a close to a hundred games on various platforms just waiting to be played. I hope to find the willpower to start playing them. I feel so slimy buying new games as they come out when I have so many already bought waiting to be played.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

Skyrim is the shit and I its religion.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JackiJinx

@ArbitraryWater: Yes! So yes. To all those statements, yes! Tortoise riding the Skyrim in Might and Magic.

@crusader8463: Thanks for the luck! I'll take as much as I need, thank you ^_^

And I don't think, if he's not dependable for money, that you should get into a financial arrangement of any sort with him. That will likely benefit him and frustrate you in the end. Maybe even force you to sell some of you backlog. Think about that ouch factor.

@Claude: Skyrim has too many religions to have you be an additional one. I, for one, prefer to keep to the Hyrulian traditions and just chase cuccos all day.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Grimluck343

@Claude said:

Skyrim is the shit and I its religion.

Gonna go buy some Korn songs now.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By crusader8463

@JackiJinx:Ya, I kind of had that dawning today as well. I really like the guy, and it would be great to live with him for awhile as a buddy kind of thing, but he just has way too many money problems to be in that kind of a dependent situation. Who knows.