• 149 results
Teirdome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#101  Edited By Teirdome
@Lind_L_Taylor: There's the smug superiority characterizes Apple products and consumers!

If you're on the iPod wagon, why should you care?  Heck, why should 95% of the world care?  I'm excited as a software developer because the XNA platform is absurdly easy to code for and this will give me a new toy.  I'm also glad they're keeping the HD Radio receiver in it.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Lind_L_Taylor said:
WilliamRLBaker said: Lind_L_Taylor said: lordofultima said: Looks sick, but if it's less than 60 gigs then I'm of course not ... [more]

1.Zune hooks up via usb to 360, much like the ipod i use it as an external harddrive for my movies, pictures and music i can play on my 360 and through my surround sound system probably in better quality then your ""stereo""  As well its easy to take it portable just unplug it....

2.Mp3s last generation? well first off mp3s have been around for a long long time and are still the prefered format for all most all music downloadable online, Mp3 destroys nearlly all other formats.
2.1 http://www.zune.net/en-us/support/usersguide/musicvideospictures/avcodecsandformats.htm
*just a note the ipod doesn't support any more codecs then the zune and infact much like the zune has a braindead incompability, Zune isn't under the plays for sure line of windows that mp3 players support, Ipod doesn't support quicktime...an apple codec lol.*
3.No you said Mr softy, instead of being intelegent and using Microsoft or MS you called Mr.Softy, Unlike you i didn't use imatture childish names to try adding some sort of weight to my argument.

4.Yep 2nd place in Mp3 player sales and scores is pretty nice, I mean zune went from none existance to number 2 quite quickly with good marketing and enough fuck ups by apple zune may become #1 one day, being number 2 does not detract from a products quality only its popularity.

*just on another side note since you consider Mp3 ancient its funny how ipod falls under the line of MP3 players lol*

darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103  Edited By darkjester74

That new Zune sounds awesome.  Might just give me an excuse to trade up my aging 5G iPod.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
WilliamRLBaker said:
Lind_L_Taylor said: WilliamRLBaker said: Lind_L_Taylor said: lordofultima said: Looks sick, but if it's less than 60 gigs then I'm of ... [more]
Time to take out the trash.

1.  "360 through surround sound is better than my stereo"...Are you serious?  You haven't seen my stereo. Go take a look in my profile. I'm sure it lays waste to your "system"..if you want to call it that... LOL.

2.  "Mp3s around a long long time & destroys other formats"...Hello McFly?!!?  The AAC format is the NEXT GENERATION of the MP3 format!  It's taken MP3 & improved on it & given it greater quality, more fields, etc. iTunes & AAC conversion is free to all.  I'm surprised you don't use Mr. Softy's WEEMA format since you're so gung-ho on everything Softy. MP3 is craptakular.  iTunes supports just about any format via its plug-in system.  I can use it to play Ogg files without any issues.  However, since AAC is next-generation MP3, already improving on the format & adding more to it, I'm just going to go with that.  If I want lossless, Apple's lossless is fine.

3.  Well if calling a company by its financial slang, Mr. Softy (or Mr. Softee), adds weight to my argument, then I think I should use it. I also call Sony, Sorny & Nintendo, Ninty. AutoZone is AutoBone & so on. There is no company left out of my impromptu name changes...Apple?  LOL..that's too easy so I'll leave that one alone.

4.  When doing a simple price check on Amazon right now, the Zune 120G is $252 whereas the iPod Classic 120G is $225. So much for Apple costing more than Mr. Softee!  I guess you like paying more for second place & when we're talking second place, it's not like Sorny's PS3 behind the 360, it's more like the difference between a Lexus & a Dae Woo.  One of the things that attracted me most to iPod is the massive amount of accessories from companies far & wide, from high quality & low, across an entire spectrum parts & accessories that you can get or do with your iPod.  Zune don't have it.

Teirdome said:
@Lind_L_Taylor: There's the smug superiority characterizes Apple products and consumers!If you're on the iPod wagon, why should you care?  Heck, ... [more]

I care because it entertains me. :)  Smug superiority?  LOL.  If you sat down & weighed the options as I have years ago, it's pretty much obvious where the better tools are located.  Hell, Apple gives you free development tools.  I'm interested in seeing if the Zune becomes a portable gaming platform in the future, right now it isn't...that could be 3 years down the road.  Plus, you'll need to pay your $99 a year or whatever it is to share your games over XBL, or whatever it is.
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#105  Edited By cspiffo
Lind_L_Taylor

Your posts are chock full of half truths which expose your strange biases.  Why do you feel the need to spread B.S. Like that.

P.S.  My Zune 30 is full of Games and Apps created by the growing XNA community and none of them cost me or anyone else a single penny to use or share.

P.P.S. Get a clue.  Neither Apple nor Microsoft are the Be all and end all company.  They both have their +/-s but neither of us sees any of their money so why should you or any of us care so much?
Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#106  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Looks awesome.

No Caption Provided

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By toowalrus
Krakn3Dfx said:
Looks awesome.
Wow, clever.
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
cspiffo said:
Lind_L_TaylorYour posts are chock full of half truths which expose your strange biases.  Why do you feel the need to ... [more]
What half-truths??   You're saying a Zune 30 is a game machine?  I read the Zune HD & it didn't say shit about having gaming capability. In fact, just reading the other posts here state that the portable Ninty or Sorny systems are better for gaming.  I have to go find evidence & can't just take the word of people who posted here on this point?  So why pay $250 for a portable game player? I think the Ninty or Sorny portable game platforms are cheaper than this.  XNA games are kind of boring anyway.  I have a 360 for playing games already.  For me, the portable game system can't be used.  I don't travel enough to justify one.
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By cspiffo
Lind_L_Taylor said:
cspiffo said: Lind_L_TaylorYour posts are chock full of half truths which expose your strange biases.  Why do you feel the ... [more]

One could say the same thing about the Ipod Touch.  The point is that the Zune and particularly the Zune HD is a lot closer to the Ipod and touch in terms of capabilities than you are leading people to believe.

Case in point.  "
The AAC format is the NEXT GENERATION of the MP3 format!"...Yeah, the Zune plays those too, along with native FLAC, and OGG support.  No plug in needed here.  Roll that up and smoke it.

Also if you had done a proper simple search you would have noticed that a 120 GB Red Zune was selling for $218 at amazon which puts it in line with the in price.

Enough with your half truths already.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By zombie2011

Will definitely be getting this i just broke my Zune, so i had to dust of my old 30GB ipod i got free with my macbook. The synergy between this and my 360 is gonna be awesome.

MikeSTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By MikeSTER

OLED display, that's just begging people to put pr0n on their HD zunes

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Jayge_
Lind_L_Taylor said:
lordofultima said: Looks sick, but if it's less than 60 gigs then I'm of course not interested. I don't see ... [more]
What a load of horse shit. You've obviously never even touched a Zune, let alone bothered to learn anything about it before spinning into some useless anti-Microsoft diatribe.

Lind_L_Taylor said:
WilliamRLBaker said: Lind_L_Taylor said: WilliamRLBaker said: Lind_L_Taylor said: lordofultima said: Looks sick, but if it's less than 60 gigs then ... [more]
The Zune puts out better sound quality than any iPod can, and it supports AAC, so that entire discussion is pointless. The Zune 120 bare-bones can be found starting at $220.

Lind_L_Taylor said:
jhosaphat said: I've got to say, the HD Radio is actually pretty attractive. It's the one thing iPods don't have, ... [more]
There is a ton of content to be found on the radio, regardless of whether or not *you* like it. And yes, HD radio does (conceptually) allow for streaming content at much higher bitrates than normal digital or analogue radio sans-HD. HD radio has the potential to stream a single radio channel at 300 k/bits per second, apparently. The feature may not be desirable to you, but as someome who turns on the radio quite frequently, this would be a huge boon to me (if it backs up the talk).

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#113  Edited By Jensonb

Zune huh? Yes, I'd like to Microsoft money for a less capable version of a device I've owned for well over a year which does not support my primary computer.

/sarcasm

I'll be getting the third iPhone, I'd recommend that will be a better option for most people.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Jayge_
Jensonb said:
Zune huh? Yes, I'd like to Microsoft money for a less capable version of a device I've owned for well ... [more]
What high-cap PMP do you use that has more/better features and sound quality than the Zune?
Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Jensonb
Jayge_ said:
Jensonb said: Zune huh? Yes, I'd like to Microsoft money for a less capable version of a device I've owned ... [more]
Ah, the ol' self-righteous loaded question. My hat goes off to you sir

-Rolls Eyes-
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Jayge_
Jensonb said:
Jayge_ said: Jensonb said: Zune huh? Yes, I'd like to Microsoft money for a less capable version of a device ... [more]
I'm just asking what the justifications behind the statement "less capable version of a device I've owned for well over a year" are. I don't see how that's self-righteous or loaded, unless you in your head have concluded that you made an erroneous statement and you are now attempting to distract from that with random segways.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Lind_L_Taylor said:
WilliamRLBaker said: Lind_L_Taylor said: WilliamRLBaker said: Lind_L_Taylor said: lordofultima said: Looks sick, but if it's less than 60 gigs then ... [more]

1.my tvs better and bigger thus ensuring i have better speakers on it.
1.2 I don't see any thing better with your stereo then my surround sound setup...Especially in the case of zunes or ipods since neither supports high surround sound channels that i know of.
*that any music is encoded in that is, movies will have this.*
2.except its not mp3s next generation its made by Apple last i checked and itunes and quicktime are shitty obstrusive programs, ACC adds nothing to MP3 that isn't there or is needed by the general consumer, which is why 99% of music online is in mp3 and not AAC. *note: aac is developed by nokia, sony, bell...ect*

3. Calling a company a slang term only shows one thing your stupidity and your general disrespect and fanboyism towards said company, it adds no weight to any conversation.

4.LOL 120 gig ipod classic....um how about new ipods and such? Let alone that a 120 gig ipod classic doesn't have near the options or features as the Zune 120 gig You can find the ipod classic for more and less as well as the zune 120 gig for more or less.   go to your local wal-mart, bestbuy...ect the price is not competitive to the casual consumer who doesn't dredge amazon for deals.
4.1 you were attracted to the ipod by USELESS accessories you had to purchase after the fact I've seen ipod accessories some of the most useless looking shitty made by companies id never heard of products lol In just now! a black less then a quater lb hello kitty ipod dock! LOL

5.I just noticed somehting, Ipod doesn't sell alot because its actually good, but becasue droving fans of mac faithful purchase multiple versions and every new version, the ipod classic you talk about the first review admits he has a freaking 160 gig ipod classic, and looked at the 120 gig while he was purchasing a nano and touch! thats 3 fucking ipods i wonder if he owns more?
6.just to touch on price again, i just surfed amazon and found 120 gig zune for... *drum roll* 229 dollars and a 120gig red one for 218 dollars lol

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Jensonb
Jayge_ said:
Jensonb said: Jayge_ said: Jensonb said: Zune huh? Yes, I'd like to Microsoft money for a less capable version of ... [more]
No Jayge, you know perfectly well what I mean. You know perfectly well how I arrived at that conclusion (Comparing described features and what has been shown to existing hardware and prior knowledge, then weighing it against expectations). But the question you asked is "What high-cap PMP do you use that has more/better features and sound quality than the Zune?", which:
  • In no way addresses my point
  • Makes (Incorrect) assumptions about how different people evaluate the quality of a particular product
  • Loads the question such a manner as to attempt to deliberately force a non-answer, or a partially incorrect one which you would then complain about.
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By RetroIce4

Need to hear more about. Thank god for Xbox 360 Integration. Might have to upgrade from my 80 if it breaks on me... XD

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Jensonb said:
Jayge_ said: Jensonb said: Jayge_ said: Jensonb said: Zune huh? Yes, I'd like to Microsoft money for a less capable ... [more]
What high cap personal music player do you use that has more better features and sound quality than the zune? was his question and you didn't answer it it wasn't loaded at any point he asked you straight.

1.What personal music player do you use?
2.What makes it better then zune?

then again when it comes down to it why did you even post in the thread in the first place, infact your post is very very trollish from what i see, You don't own a zune, and have no intention of owning a Zune you own a competing product an Apple product likely you just came in simply to say,  why should i purchase an inferior product when i all ready own a superior one.
It added nothing to the conversation in the least.

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By RipTheVeins

...I have a zune

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Jayge_
Jensonb said:
Jayge_ said: Jensonb said: Jayge_ said: Jensonb said: Zune huh? Yes, I'd like to Microsoft money for a less capable ... [more]
You said "Zune", not "Zune HD", which led me to believe you were discussing what is mainly considered to be the Zune, an 80 or 120 gigabyte model. The question isn't loaded at all, given that when someone randomly comes out and says "Hey, this thing sucks compared to this thing, bye" most people would expect that person to be able to rationally justify or explain the statement.

As for how you arrived at the conclusion that the HD is somehow proven to be inferior to the iPod Touch even at this point in its (fuck, pre-natal at this point) lifetime, yes, I'm aware of the ridiculous "logic" behind that after our conversation in the IRC. In no way can your previous assumptions on related products that you've encountered the past be combined with an incomplete feature and specification list to pass legitimate judgement on this product especially in comparison to the iPod Touch, which is already established and well-documented in all of those aspects. You keep on saying "yes I can" with absolutely no basis besides "I know enough about it to judge", which you really, really don't. I don't know whether it will be a successful device at this point or a failure, because I'm reserving my judgement until enough information is available to make a proper assessment. That's the only stance one could take currently.

The fact is, nobody in the general public knows nearly enough about the Zune HD at this point to make assumptions like you have with any reason besides "I just think it'll be this way because I said so" at this point. You can deny that as much as you want, but it's a simple truth. Do I want it to be a great device? Yes, I do. I like the Zune and the Zune platform and I hope it gains more success in the future. Does that mean I'm instantly convinced that this will be a great product? We'll see. For now, you're just hurling bullshit.
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
cspiffo said:
Lind_L_Taylor said: cspiffo said: Lind_L_TaylorYour posts are chock full of half truths which expose your strange biases.  Why do you ... [more]
You could have said that to start with.  Let's see what those 1 star reviews say about the Zune on Amazon. Here's a few as recent as April 29th, 2009:
"Over the course of 6 months, I have owned three 8GB and one 120GB Zunes. Each one lasted about 2 months (though one lasted only a week), then refused to power up and/or reset. I took good care of each and didn't drop or otherwise bang up any of them. I used the Zune wall charger to recharge them. I scoured the web to find solutions for the problem, and found many users who had the same problem - though the usual solution of performing a reset did not work for me. Luckily, the store that I bought them from would allow me to exchange the units when they went unresponsive."

"The Zune software flat out stinks. It doesn't let you edit ID3 tags either on your computer or on the device - it doesn't feature an equalizer function so if you don't like the way your music sounds - too bad. The software for you PC must be downloaded online (no CD) - and it's slow, unpredictable, and not friendly at all. If something you are trying to load or 'sync' fails - there's no reason reason given for the failure - it just doesn't do it - and then you're left trying to reason why - was it an unsupported Audio codec (it doesnt support MPEG-1 encoded MP3 files - an older but still prevalent codec), was it some type of DRM tag - what ??? - who knows far be it for Zune to tell you - it just doesn't do it. That really stinks and is a MAJOR frustration. Do I need to convert my Audio as well as my video ?? - what? - why? - take your best guess because the darn Zune sure won't tell you. "

"The software is so klugy and then stops syncing all together. Endless hours of troubleshooting. Don't take my word for it: go on-line to the Zune user's groups and read the hundreds of posts by frustrated owners who have tried to find ways to get their Zune to be recognized or sync. Forget Microsoft tech support. Another worthless exercise in frustration. My advice: Stay away from Zune."

So I went over to the Zune User's Group & found Dead Zune with no replies for this poor bastard's plea for help:

"My daughter installed the new updates last night and her Zune worked just fine.  Tonight, she was able to enter in our wireless password and do whatever it allows you to do (I don't have a Zune so I really don't know but she was happy with the new features).  Everything worked fine.  She went back to turn it on about two hours later and it was dead.  She charged it this morning so that seemed odd.  She plugged it in to charge it again and nothing happened.  We left it charging for a little while and still nothing.  Zip, nada.......totally blank screen.  Any clue what may have happened or more importantly, how to fix it?  Thanks!"

What a piece o' crap!!  You can wait 5-6 months for your Zune HD. I'll be enjoying my iPod until then & then probably another 2 months after Zune HD is released, we'll start hearing about the breakdowns...LOL.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Jayge_
Lind_L_Taylor said:
cspiffo said: Lind_L_Taylor said: cspiffo said: Lind_L_TaylorYour posts are chock full of half truths which expose your strange biases.  Why ... [more]
So negative reviews (a good deal of which are factually inaccurate) automatically make it a bad product? And you talk about the iPod like its durability is somehow *better* than the Zune's? Are you kidding me?
Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Jensonb
Jayge_ said:
Jensonb said: Jayge_ said: Jensonb said: Jayge_ said: Jensonb said: Zune huh? Yes, I'd like to Microsoft money for a ... [more]
Are you saying the zune HD is not a zune? Because there's a critical flaw in that, Jayge...

Your question is loaded because you did not ask "What device is superior?". You couldn't possibly have been asking that anyway, because I already said. No, instead, you asked a question with an in-built feature expectation ("High capacity"), not actually relevant to my dismissal of the zune HD whose presence there limits to number of adequate answers.

Jayge, you're perceptions about how judgments are amde appear to be based solely on the idea that you get to argue with anyone you choose. It is absolutely not necessary to now the exact specifications of the zune HD to know that for me, it is inferior to the iPod touch/iPhone platform. Zunes do not work with Macs, the screen is smaller, it uses Internet Explorer, it doesn't have the Apps I've already bought on it and more. I don't ned to know any more Jayge, it is inferior for my purposes. I notice you've started blethering on about success or failure. I never brought that up, but if you want to rant about it, go ahead.

Your assertion that "That's the only stance one could take currently" (Re: "I'm reserving my judgement until enough information is available") is absurdly arrogant. You do not get to decide what information is required for me to judge something's worth for myself Jayge. You have a habit of substituting your judgment for logic. Stop it.

No Jage, you are hurling bullshit. You are telling me I don't get to define what conditions a product has to emet to warrant my interest. As usual, you are assuming that only your viewpoint can possibly hold any logic and refusing to even entertain the idea that someone else might be able to make judgments on other or fewer criteria than you. I'm sure you're going to come back with some high and mighty bullshit about how my opinion is wrong (You've done it before) but I'm not interested. The zune HD does not meet my needs and I find it hard to recommend to many people I know personally (A couple though would love it) even at this stage.

You're perfectly free to go ahead and wait to see if it's any good, but the stuff they have already said (And shown - it's ugly as hell) has already put me off. I don't kow why that's so hard for you to understand, but I don't care either.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Jayge_
Do you refer to it as the Zune HD or the Zune? Most people are making the distinction at this point. Word games don't help your argument. I added "high-capacity" because I was replying under the assumption that you were referring to the Zune, not the Zune HD, and because the devices belong to two very different PMP classes. 

I do get to argue with anyone who I choose to argue with. That's kind of how it works. And that has nothing to do with the facts related to making valid judgements. You're the one substituting your judgement for logic; it is not possible to assume that it will be inferior to the iPod Touch simply because previous Zunes don't work on Macs and because it makes use of Internet Explorer. While yes, it is not likely that the Zune HD will be supporting Macintosh platforms, you cannot rule out the possibility at this point because Microsoft has not stated that it will be a Windows only device, and they have not stated that it will be a multi-system device. You can *assume* that it probably won't support your Mac, but you do not KNOW this. You cannot pass that off as a definitive judgement because you have know way of basing that judgement on facts, only perceptions. You also have no idea what the connotations of "using Internet Explorer" are. For all you know, it could be more powerful than the Touch's Safari. Again, there is absolutely nothing but flimsy assumption to base that judgement on.

The screen size *is* something you can pass judgement on, because it's an already-detailed feature. Yes, it is smaller than the iPod Touch's, yes it has about 20,000 less pixels and that could be considered a strike against it. Given that the assertion is made based on empirical fact rather than perception, that is valid. See the difference? Things you *can* pass valid judgement on are rooted in proovable fact, not perceived but unconfirmed details. It could very well be that you are right and it will be an inferior device to you because of those possible qualities, but those are not assertions you can use to argue its inferiority with the current amount of information that we possess. It being "ugly as hell" to you and having a smaller screen are valid criticisms; that's all I was asking for originally. I would accept that you perceive it as an inferior device on that basis. However, the other assertions, that I addressed in the previous paragraph, are invalid.

I don't think you understand my position. I'm not defining the conditions the product has to "emit" to warrant your interest- I'm rejecting the assertion that your perceptions based on previous experiences are admissable as seemingly fact-based criticisms of the product when you cannot know 100% that these are truths. They are not acceptable without adding in necessary adverbs like "probably" or "possibly" to indicate that what you are including in your argument or opinion is not in fact set in stone, but could be possibly (see, possibly) true.
Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Jensonb
Jayge_ said:
Do you refer to it as the Zune HD or the Zune? Most people are making the distinction at this ... [more]
It's not word games Jayge, a zune HD is still a zune just as an iPod touch is an iPod. I was simply referring to the family. If you were unclear, all you had to do was ask.

I think I phrased the section about arguing incorrectly. Iw as not questioniong your right to argue, I was merely uggesting that you seem to be forming deliberately oppositional viewpoints (not in regards to opinion, rather in regards to methods of judgment). My bad.

As for the rest of that paragraph, the zune software is not available for Mac and I can't see Microsoft releasing it for OS X any time in the future, the fact that is an informed assumption does not detract from the point it makes the dvice less attractive to me. Likewise for Internet Explorer, which has never been a satisfactory browser, it is fair to assume it will be so again.

You are also mis-understanding my position. I am not attributing the same value to best-guess informed assumptions as to empirical differences, but that does not mean I ill nto consider them in making a decision. Even with complete features etc. a lot of judging what to buy is guesswork based on prior expereince. Lots of people don't buy iPods because one they had previously broke. That's about the same place I'm coming from with Internet Explorer ha never been good and likely will never be good.

At any rate, this alls eems to be coming down to semantics and any actual argument died a long time ago. I don't like it based on what they've said, you don't know yet because they haven't told you enough for you to make your judgment. We're different people in different situations, that is udnerstandable.
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
Jayge_ said:
Do you refer to it as the Zune HD or the Zune? Most people are making the distinction at this ... [more]
This is bullshit.  There is no way in hell Mr. Softy is going to support a Mac to load a Zune on. Are you fuckin' serious?  Is it supposed to work with iTunes next?  When Mr. Softee builds a device, it's to work with its own operating system, they're not going to support others.  Which ironically is one of the reasons I love Macs, I can use OS X & experience brilliance & still move around Windows freely whenever I damn well please.  For hybrid users such as myself, I wouldn't be able to pass a Zune or a Zune HD back & forth between my Macbook Pro & my PC.  I guess it's another nail in the Zune's coffin: no cross-platform capability.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Jayge_
Lind_L_Taylor said:
Jayge_ said: Do you refer to it as the Zune HD or the Zune? Most people are making the distinction ... [more]
I'm saying that you do not have any way of knowing 100% that the Zune HD will not support Macs. That's a current fact. Will it support Macs? Obviously, probably not.

And by the way, you should google the term "hackintosh."
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
Jayge_ said:
Lind_L_Taylor said: lordofultima said: Looks sick, but if it's less than 60 gigs then I'm of course not interested. I ... [more]
Nobody needs portable HD Radio!  Before HD Radio, did you carry around a portable radio? FUCK NO.  You MAY have used your car stereo. It's the only portable radio I use. And today's HD Radios support iPOD & iPOD Tagging. I can go out right now & buy one. Can you buy a ZUNE HD right now? FUCK NO. Maybe in late November before Black Friday, Mr. Softee will shit out a Zune HD for you chock full of features nobody really needs.  I touched a Zune, my friend has one.  Fucking thing broke after one year. He was dumb enough to go buy another one, used on eBay at least. I can't wait to see it break again.  As for my iPod Classic, I bought it two weeks ago & I haven't had a single thing go wrong with it, but neither did my iRiver that I bought 6 years ago. It still works, but it's only 40G & has a battery life of 4 hours, whereas the iPod Classic has 120G & battery life of 24-36 hours.

If I want to really & truly find out all the problems about the Zune, I don't have to listen to your pro-Mr. Softee diatribe, I can go over to the Zune User's Group & laugh at all the broke Zune problems that people have reported.  Knock yourself out with inferior product. You deserve it.
WilliamRLBaker said:
Lind_L_Taylor said: WilliamRLBaker said: Lind_L_Taylor said: WilliamRLBaker said: Lind_L_Taylor said: lordofultima said: Looks sick, but if it's less than 60 ... [more]
A bigger TV doesn't necessarily mean it'll be better. Although, I will concede that it isn't the greatest. My old TV broke & I had to get a new one before I could shop for quality. Having a larger TV is just stupid anyway.  You'll have to hire movers to take it to the dump when it breaks.  I seriously doubt you can compete with my sound. I have a surround preamp & monoblock amps driving my speakers, it's all digitally hooked up with only the Outlaw DACs driving the analog signal to my Polk Audio Monitor Series.  I have HD cable TV via AT&T U-verse's fiber optic wires so the HD clarity is much better than standard on my flat screen (via component cables).  Your surround sound must truly suck if you don't have monoblock amps & separation of preamp & power amp sound stages or power conditioning.

I got iTunes, Safari, Quicktime, & Bonjour running on my Windows...And you're fucking telling me that Windows goddamn weekly security patches are not shitty "obstrusive" programs?!?  Windows annoys perpetually with patches & I rarely get Apple bothering me to update iTunes!  In fact, iTunes will tell you what day it plans to check for an update & it's usually at the end of the month.

It has already been proven that AAC generates better sound quality at better bitrates than MP3. AAC has been around for years & years. So why, now that you know this, want to suffer shitty sound quality based on knowing that you're using a shitty lossless format!?!  Before I switched to the iPod, as you probably know, I used an iRiver & I ripped all my stuff to OGG format.  Which was sounding better than MP3. However, after comparing the OGG rips at quality 9 to the AAC at 256kbps, I've found the AAC to sound more clear & crisp than OGG files. Obviously it sounds better than MP3 from the established facts about it.   Can you use iTunes with your Zune?  Or Zune HD?  I guess you gotta wait til November/Xmas to find out whether the Zune HD is worth two shits. Meanwhile, I can already use the iPod & be happy TODAY, as opposed to holding out for the miracle device of the future!

And sure there are some useless accessories for the iPod. Didn't say there wasn't. But names like, oh I don't know, Kenwood, Wadia, Krell, just about every major player in the audio/video world has an iPod dock or supporting device of some sort.  Extra battery life & tons of other features that all won't necessarily work with a Zune, perhaps via a cheesy audio input, thereby destroying your sound quality using Mr. Softee's "Poon".  That's right, from here on out, I dub thee Poon (aka Zune)!

Obviously the Red Poon must be gay or something since the black version sells for $250 & you gotta pay less to get a red, Mabeline cover-girl, type of look for your Poon. Maybe you should buy another one to support the Mr. Softee Faithful?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Jayge_
Lind_L_Taylor said:
Jayge_ said: Lind_L_Taylor said: lordofultima said: Looks sick, but if it's less than 60 gigs then I'm of course not ... [more]
You're still as stupid as you were back when you used to be some kind of combination 360 fanboy/PS3 troll. And yes, by the way, I do carry around a portable radio. On my Zune. Does anybody NEED HD Radio? Not really, but nobody NEEDS a music player of any kind, either. You're a weird class of troll though. You actually seem to be possibly half-convinced of your positions while being mildly knowledgeable (while comically misapplying your knowledge). Keep on going. You might be a great replacement for Thiago, he's been running out of steam.
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
Jayge_ said:
Lind_L_Taylor said: Jayge_ said: Do you refer to it as the Zune HD or the Zune? Most people are making ... [more]
I bought a Macbook Pro over the Xmas holidays for $1500 brand new.  I wouldn't be too interested in having a desktop for OS X, however the Mac Pros are awesome with what they have. You can buy the Mac's "Bare Bones" system, minimal RAM & hard drives & then just add in your own from a cheaper vendor, say newegg.  After I bought my Macbook Pro, Newegg had a sale, $40 rebate on 4G of Corsair RAM for the Mac. So I bought it & upgraded my Mac. Overall, I'm happy with the purchase of the laptop.  It's not a game system, but that's why I have an Xbox 360 & a few PCs that I can use for City of Heroes, etc.

Jayge_ said:
Lind_L_Taylor said: Jayge_ said: Lind_L_Taylor said: lordofultima said: Looks sick, but if it's less than 60 gigs then I'm of ... [more]

The hell you say, son. I still think the 360 is a great system & one of the best things Mr. Softy ever came out with. I still loathe the PS3, but it's mostly because the games that come out on the 360 are, in my opinion, better than Sorny. And I don't mind paying the XBL membership. I also subscribe to Netflix & enjoy watching movies/TV through it.

Your comments about me being a weird class of Troll sound flattering. LOL.  I do stand by my positions.  Xbox 360 has the game system wars beaten, at least for adult gamers.  iPod has the portable media player wars beaten.  These days, I strive to buy the best of breed in the market, rather than trying to be some kind of rebel that tediously goes against the grain..it's a waste of time when you could be using your brain for something better, than say hacking a PC to run OS X, there's no money in it & being a gamer, I don't have a ton of free time outside my hobby of playing games or with my Mac.

I disagree with your statement that nobody needs a portable music player. It is vital to a car stereo system.  I don't want to carry 2000 cds with me in the car when I drive to work every day, or have to pick & choose CDs for the week. I take the whole thing in an iPod & then can pick & choose whatever I want to listen to.  It's a space saver, while also sounding great.  I've been making use of it at work a lot as well & after two days, the battery life still hasn't reached the half way mark.  Cover flow is a great feature. I love seeing the album cover when I'm listening to a track.  The wheel is taking time to get used to though, but I'll figure it out. Portable media players are essential.  However, if you're going to the gym, I wouldn't advise using something like an iPod Classic, you need something small & cheap if you're going to risk sweat on it, such as an iPod Shuffle.  I might get one just for that purpose.

I don't know who Thiago is, but I'm pretty sure I've already got him beat.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Lind_L_Taylor said:
Jayge_ said: Lind_L_Taylor said: lordofultima said: Looks sick, but if it's less than 60 gigs then I'm of course not ... [more]
1.I have to have movers take it to the dump after it breaks...a 70lb samsung 32 inch 1080p needs movers...Okay...
I'm just gonna ignore all the crap you've said and stick to one point.

You actually use power conditioning? lol wow do you live in a 500 year old house or something with copper filament ceramic connected wires? no one needs power conditioning even the highest end sound equipment for consumer use doesn't need it, For the consumer power conditioning is a useless extra that bestbuy employes try to make you think you need. Sounds to me someone at bestbuy tricked you into buying alot of useless crap that doesn't provide a wit of audio quality over stock components to non-sound studio work.
Itunes is obstrusive its a bitch to uninstaill as well as quicktime is a bitch to uninstall, and Id rather shoot my self then use safari on windows its a glitchy slow flawed product its like apply purposely made it shitty for its windows version over its mac version.
Weekly windows updates? odd the last update i had to install was Vista service pack 2 last night and that was the first update id had to download in over 2 weeks..

AAC is superior?
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t37077.html
Mp3 is a lossless format? no...Mp3 is a lossy encoding just like AAC is lossy, unless you mean http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=21139 but its not actually lossless.

I must now ask one thing...Are you stupid? I've said multiple times in this thread i own an 120 gig zune so what am i waiting for? I all ready own a zune.
and yet again your making your self look like a retard and trying to start a fight by using Mr softee and poon.

Infact I've figured it out, you don't actually know what your talking about, you just wanna argue, so I'm taking my self out of this.
P.S: lol cheesy audio input? lol yes because every thing audio has one on the planet it must work and be pretty good if they all use it.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
WilliamRLBaker said:
Lind_L_Taylor said: Jayge_ said: Lind_L_Taylor said: lordofultima said: Looks sick, but if it's less than 60 gigs then I'm of ... [more]
I didn't buy my Belkin Pure AV from Best Buy dipshit, I ordered it from Amazon. It's basically just an advanced extension cord that provides protection for power surges, spikes, & so on & will shut down sections of sockets if a spike comes through. It also does line condition & I can read the voltage at any time.  I suppose the crap you own doesn't require it because you're just aching for it to break so you can buy the next new piece of crap that's coming out.

I use XP & iTunes, Safari, & all that good shit can be installed & uninstalled easily & doesn't do anything to my system.  You must have a slow PC, or maybe it's because Vista kinda sucks balls, which is why I never upgraded to it. I play with Vista Ultimate 64-bit in a virtual machine on my Mac sometimes. But it's a pain in the ass to do simple things, like update the hosts file, which is totally easy to do in OS X (just sudo -i & you can edit hosts in /etc/hosts using vi, yeah that's right, the kind of UNIX skills that people like me make a living knowing how to do).

MP3 is lossy. If I said lossless then that would be a typo but I guess you're too stupid to figure that out.  Also, your link to hydrogen audio simply points to a .nl website which in fact explains that AAC files are better than MP3 files.  So you prove my point.  Thanks for AGREEING. Further, I use AAC 256kbps for my rips so I'm already getting a high quality sound.  If I download some music, say an album from ambient.us it has 320kbps files & only for MP3s. I can live with that. As for anything in which I have the audio CD for, I would rather rip it to AAC.  Might as well use the best that's out there.

As for the Audio Inputs for car stereos, home stereos, etc, are not that good.  You're basically taking the DAC used for your headphones & the DAC from that is going into the the stereo system, which means the better DAC for the larger stereo system isn't being used.  What you want is digital. In this case the Kenwood car stereo has a USB input for the iPod which will ensure a digital transference of the music leaving only the Kenwood to convert the digital to audio with its 24-bit dac.  The quality is better this way.  Don't know what the Poon has, I suppose it could hook into the Kenwood as well, but it doesn't have the same kind of features as the iPod would have, probably have a shittier visual display, etc.

I'll have to apologize to you since I seem to have went over your head. I know what the hell I'm talking about. I may not proof read these long posts however, which might leave a logic fragment or two somewhere..feel free to point it out & then I'll correct you & get you back on the path away from the Poon.
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By cspiffo
Jayge_ said:
He's just your standard fanatic.  He doesn't want to see fact.  He just wants his side to be the "winner".  His whole purpose for commenting in this thread is to aggravate and create noise which detracts from any real conversation.   It's probably best just to ignore him, as hard as that may be.

Maybe one day he will realize that these things he defends so vehemently are made by companies who really couldn't give a shit about him and just want his money.
jhosaphat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#136  Edited By jhosaphat
@Lind_L_Taylor:
I guess the one thing I can say is that each HD radio station will have multiple channels, so chances are you'd be able to find something on one of those to listen to. They can't all be playing the same thing at the same time. I don't listen to regular radio much either, but I might if the signal is always strong and clear. It's nice to have the option.
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
cspiffo said:
Jayge said: Lind_L_Taylor said: Jayge said: Lind_L_Taylor said: lordofultima said: Looks sick, but if it's less than 60 gigs then ... [more]
LOL! That's Mr. Softee you're referring to!  Apple's products are much better.  A UNIX based/Windows OS that is better than KDE/Gnome? It's called OS X.  iTunes is free, rips to AAC & ALAC, or MP3, or use an OGG plug-in. There isn't anything wrong with Free tools. Works on Mac or PC. Also, I found a tool called Exact Audio Copy & there is a command line plugin that will run iTunesEncoder.exe that will encode to whatever setting you have set in iTunes (iTunes-Plus, ALAC, custom, etc) & pass all the ID3 tag information & pumps it right into iTunes. It all works great.  The iPod itself isn't that costly. Consider this. I spent $225 on my iPod Classic (120G, 24-36 hour battery), 6 years ago I bought the iRiver 40hp (40g, 4 hour battery) for $350.  These things are lot cheaper than they used to be & offer more features. Probably the next generation iPod Touch will make a bigger dent into the games marketplace.

I'm holding out to see what Apple's answer will be to the Poon HD when it gets released at the end of the year.

jhosaphat said:
@Lind_L_Taylor: I guess the one thing I can say is that each HD radio station will have multiple channels, so chances ... [more]

You should google for HD Radio stations in your area so you can find out in advance what it is you'll be listening to & whether any of it is worth your time.
Jotun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#138  Edited By Jotun

Wow, some of you people take this shit waaaaay too seriously.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#139  Edited By MeatSim

Yea they are just trying to get more brand recognition gor the Zune out there.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#140  Edited By Alexander
lordofultima said:
Looks sick, but if it's less than 60 gigs then I'm of course not interested. I don't see why with ... [more]
That's pretty much how I look at it. This Zune looks cool (would be nice if they actually release it outside of N America this time) but my main concerns are battery life and storage. I hope that they don't feel encouraged to reduce the disk space with Apple doing so with their useless iPod touches. 80gb minimum and a 40hr + battery life.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Jayge_
Alexander said:
lordofultima said: Looks sick, but if it's less than 60 gigs then I'm of course not interested. I don't see ... [more]
You're kidding right? You actually think anybody can pull that off at this point?
Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Alexander
@Jayge: Are you being sarcastic in some way? The iPod Classic has 120gb and a 38hr battery life. While I expect 80gb to be the minimum, to see a battery life of over 40 hours isn't completely beyond the realms of possibility.
regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By regularassmilk
@Jeff: It looks pretty neat.
Maybe.
But I have an iPod, and Zune hasn't really found a nitch yet.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By jkz

Hmmmm, the Zune has always LOOKED great, but does it work great? I dunno...

Sounds good though, will have to wait and see until it rolls out
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Jayge_
Alexander said:
@Jayge: Are you being sarcastic in some way? The iPod Classic has 120gb and a 38hr battery life. While I ... [more]
You expect an iTouch-class PMP to hold 60+ GB worth of content and provide 40 hours of battery life? Granted the OLED screen and flash memory improvements might help the battery life of the HD, but Apple's battery technology is exceptional. They might be able to pull it off on Gen 3 of the iTouch, but I would be incredibly surprised if anybody could match that and give you the storage you want. For the next year or so anyway.
Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Alexander
Jayge_ said:
Alexander said: @Jayge: Are you being sarcastic in some way? The iPod Classic has 120gb and a 38hr battery life. ... [more]
No I just expect my portable music player to be able to hold my entire music library and have a long battery life. That's why I don't own an iPod Touch. I'm not saying I necessarily expect what I stated out of this Zune, but if it's what it needs to have for me to buy it. And again, it is not beyond the realms of possibility.
Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Just to clarify:  I have a Zune.  I like it.  The wifi capabilities leave something to be desired, but it's head and shoulder over the iPod of the same generation to be sure.

I do this it's awesome that I'm also still getting firmware updates with pretty major additions/fixes for my 1st gen 30 gigger.  MS, in this area at least, has not disappointed.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Just to clarify:  I have a Zune.  I like it.  The wifi capabilities leave something to be desired, but it's head and shoulder over the iPod of the same generation to be sure.

I do this it's awesome that I'm also still getting firmware updates with pretty major additions/fixes for my 1st gen 30 gigger.  MS, in this area at least, has not disappointed.

jamBOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By jamBOT

What happened to the "XYZ"?  You know, the "Microsoft Gameboy/Zune", with the 4 buttons and D-Pad?  I would have bought that.  I already have an ipod, that connects to my XBox.  Bring out an "XYZune", and I'm in.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Media_Master

Zune is an odd name