Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4230 posts) 1 year, 8 months ago

Poll: Next-Gen Console, Should I buy a warranty (22 votes)

Yes, 2 year 36%
Yes, 4 year 9%
No, don't buy a warranty 55%

So I wanna buy an Xbox ∞. Should I get a warranty? Which retail store is better at this? I know Amazon sells a thing, but that seems iffy. So, is Best Buy an okay place to get a next-gen console warranty? What about Wal-Mart, or Target? GameStop, fuck it, sure! ~ Give me any good, or bad gaming warranty stories. Throw in a pc rig story, fucking why not?

Oh, I remember that BestBuy might currently have:

• 2 year warranty for $70
  • 4 year warranty for $140

So, yea. What are your retail experiences with these type of things. I have a PS3 slim, and it hasn't given out yet, but I don't know... I do play Blu-ray movies on it..

#1 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

Just wait a year or so til they figure out all the bugs. some of the bugs. er... yeah go with the 4 year.

#2 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

If there are issues, Microsoft will have you covered (I guess unless it's a year later and not a wide spread issues). However, if you want the ability to just walk into the store and pick up a new one, than ya I guess why not get a warranty.

#3 Posted by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

If your this weary just wait a bit or else the console is bound to ship with a one year warranty or 2 year one.

#4 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

The two year for sure.

#5 Edited by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

Thats up to you because I've never felt a need to. Best Buy's is nice because when my roommates Beats headphones broke they basically give you the price you paid (lets just say $300) and then add in the insurance (I don't know the real price but lets say $20) they just basically gave him $320 gift card to use on anything. Which would be nice for consoles if price drops you'd get extra $.

#6 Posted by Neonie (438 posts) -

I got a warranty for this processor last month after fucking up the first two (long story) and it was the only one I was able to put in my computer no problem .-.

#7 Edited by Pr1mus (3949 posts) -

I wouldn't. I say stick to the 1 year warranty. The 2 most likely scenarios are either the hardware won't be an unmitigated disaster like the 360 was at launch and so you won't need the longer warranty or it will be an unmitigated disaster in which case they'll likely extend the warranty for free.

#8 Posted by Grimluck343 (1149 posts) -

I would stick with the one year manufacturer. If there really is that widespread an issue again I suspect Sony/Microsoft will be pretty quick to extend warranties again (especially Microsoft). That being said, Microsoft really can't fuck this up again.

#9 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1644 posts) -

I don’t know about the Xbox, but Sony lets you extend your PS3 warranty anytime before the manufacturer warranty expires. If that’s possible, you don’t have to decide now.

#10 Posted by RioStarwind (562 posts) -

Every time I've bought a warranty it was a waste of money. If the new consoles make it past the first year without issues then you should be in the clear.

#11 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2254 posts) -

Might not be such a bad idea especially if it's the next Xbox you're buying but since I live in Australia I wouldn't pay anymore than $50 for 2 years otherwise I'll stick with manufacturers warranty.