Next-Gen Consoles. Where are they?

chinakat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Edited By chinakat

NOTE: IM THINKING ALOUD. IM NOT WISHING FOR A NEW CONSOLE ANYTIME SOON EITHER.

The N64 and Playstation lasted for about 4-5 years. The gamecube, PS2, and XBOX lasted 4-5 years. Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis, 4-5 years. It's been the same trend since NES era. We heard about the 360 in 2004. It's been almost 5 years since the 360 launch, and almost 4 years since the wii and PS3 launch, and we haven't even heard a rumor of any next-gen consoles, or when we could expect them. What's up? There have been plenty of newer processors, and we've seen 2 new pcs (Vista and 7), so I don't think it's technology. Maybe it's sales. Why stop producing consoles that continue to make money, constantly. That is probably the reason. Have the maximum technological powers of the current consoles not been realised yet? Is that why no one is making anything, they still have more up their sleeve and don't want to waste their current console? I don't know. It just seems weird that we haven't heard anything.

chinakat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By chinakat

NOTE: IM THINKING ALOUD. IM NOT WISHING FOR A NEW CONSOLE ANYTIME SOON EITHER.

The N64 and Playstation lasted for about 4-5 years. The gamecube, PS2, and XBOX lasted 4-5 years. Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis, 4-5 years. It's been the same trend since NES era. We heard about the 360 in 2004. It's been almost 5 years since the 360 launch, and almost 4 years since the wii and PS3 launch, and we haven't even heard a rumor of any next-gen consoles, or when we could expect them. What's up? There have been plenty of newer processors, and we've seen 2 new pcs (Vista and 7), so I don't think it's technology. Maybe it's sales. Why stop producing consoles that continue to make money, constantly. That is probably the reason. Have the maximum technological powers of the current consoles not been realised yet? Is that why no one is making anything, they still have more up their sleeve and don't want to waste their current console? I don't know. It just seems weird that we haven't heard anything.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By EpicSteve

It's called Kinect and Move. 

From the beginning, everyone predicted this to be a long generation. We're in an age were 1st parties can reinvent a console through updates. The 360 is a totally different machine it is today than it was in 2005. Trust me, they're making new systems. It's a long process. Typically production on the next system begins immediately after the release of current hardware.

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

Where are the rules on how long console generations should last?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond

It's a longer generation.  PS3 and 360 were a bit further up the tech curve and cost more at launch.  Games development takes more time, and games development is utilizing high end tech less.  People are satisfied with the 360 and PS3.  360 and PS3 sales are still growing.  Wii is selling less than it was but is still selling very well.  It can cost billions of dollars to develop a proper console.  That's a big initial investment when the current ones are going strong.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Lukeweizer

They're stuck in a recession.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DystopiaX
@chinakat said:
" The N64 and Playstation lasted for about 4-5 years. The gamecube, PS2, and XBOX lasted 4-5 years. We heard about the 360 in 2004. It's been almost 5 years since the 360 launch, and almost 4 years since the wii and PS3 launch, and we haven't even heard a rumor of any next-gen consoles, or when we could expect them. What's up? There have been plenty of newer processors, and we've seen 2 new pcs (Vista and 7), so I don't think it's technology. Maybe it's sales. Why stop producing consoles that continue to make money, constantly. That is probably the reason. Have the maximum technological powers of the current consoles not been realised yet? Is that why no one is making anything, they still have more up their sleeve and don't want to waste their current console? I don't know. It just seems weird that we haven't heard anything. "
Long ass generation. The devs don't want better consoles because games are already fucking expensive to make already- Mafia II cost 60 million, and that doesn't strike me as the most expensive game to make out there. If they had to upgrade again, they'd have to spend even more money to keep up, which probably means price increases, and gamers aren't really prepared for that. Console manufacturers don't want to do that because consoles are hella expensive to develop and then produce, and they can't afford to lose money as it is.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Meowayne

As far off as possible, hopefully.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By bubahula
@Meowayne said:
" As far off as possible, hopefully. "
i would have to agree
Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Feanor

I'd be happier with a 10 year cycle over a 4-5 year one.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#10  Edited By alistercat

Surely the 3DS will be the first 'next generation' consoles in it's handheld line. For home consoles you'll have to wait a while. If you get in to PC gaming you don't wait for generations. Things improve every year, or within the year.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By mosdl
@AlisterCat said:
" Surely the 3DS will be the first 'next generation' consoles in it's handheld line. For home consoles you'll have to wait a while. If you get in to PC gaming you don't wait for generations. Things improve every year, or within the year. "
Every 2 weeks for PCs it seems :)
alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#12  Edited By alistercat
@mosdl:  I was talking about software more than hardware, but new hardware comes out more frequently then tech moves forward so it must seem like every other week.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad this generation is still going--I'm not exactly Mr. Moneybags.

necrotoxin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By necrotoxin

I think 2013 we will see, or know about the new consoles. 

Australia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Australia

Its kind of a, "if it aint broke, don't fix it" sort of thing. This generation of consoles are still making huge amounts of money so there is no real need to replace the systems. Also it is a lot cheaper to upgrade systems then it is to build entirely new ones, the Playstation 3's development costed Sony millions and millions of dollars so they might as well wring it out for all they can.  

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Wait for 2014 this gen consoles were planed for a ten years cycle.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jambones
@MagusMaleficus said:
" I'm glad this generation is still going--I'm not exactly Mr. Moneybags. "
Couldn't agree more. Sure I love new tech, but I have a horrible budget right now.
Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Brians

Five words, it's a recession.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

I would be happy to not see new consoles until 2012, or maybe even 2013. I don't need them.

Do you?

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cookiemonster
@Briguile said:
" Five words, it's a recession. "
thats three.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ryanwho

Upgrade your PC. Considering how often 360s continue to overheat I don't know why you're in a rush to pressure MS to put something out 3 times as powerful that fucks up even more.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By warxsnake

I dont know but console makers need to keep up this stagnation its awesome /sarcasm 

at least PC hardware has superseded game requirements exponentially at this point. 

chinakat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By chinakat
@ZanzibarBreeze:
no, I don't need them. I'm just thinking aloud. It seems a little strange is all.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HitmanAgent47

They are not interested in making a new console. If you want more graphics or the next best thing, just build a pc and get some really high def 30" monitor. I belive this might be the very last set of consoles, kinect and ps move is sort of the next step. After that, we will have things like onlive or streamed based gaming without disc media. It's too expensive to launch another set of consoles right now, they will delay it as much as possible.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depending on how successful Kinect and PS Move are, this generation will go for another 5 years, then a new console will come out, then the xbox 360 will stop getting games five years after that. I think Microsoft are trying to do what Sony has done with the PS2, only better, and a shitload more technologically advanced.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Brians
@CookieMonster:  Not if you consider I was talking about all the words it took to say that. So I included the five words in my guesstimate.
cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cookiemonster
@Briguile said:
" Five words : Five words, it's a recession. "
Fix'd
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By trophyhunter

Fuck your thinking out loud 
There is not a single point to at all to a new Gen of consoles.

watshisname08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By watshisname08

I personally believe it's because we have currently reached the apex of graphical fidelity (i think it's fidelity, I don't know).  Because if you looked at each generation of the console over the last few years it was MOSTLY a graphics update.  Now that we've reached this apex, what do we do the console makers do now?  That's where Kinect and Move come in, it's a testing ground for something new.  Something that's irrelevant to graphics. 

I'd wager that that Kinect and Move will at least stall the next generation for about 2-3 years before we see new consoles (insert foot in mouth here).  Until then I'm happy to have a long console generation right now, we need to see what else we can do outside of graphics.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Diamond
@watshisname08:  Definitely part of it.  Gamers hardly care about graphics at all anymore, and diminishing returns for graphics is in full effect.
No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By No0b0rAmA

Ah, silly console users and they're glacial-paced platforms. Come to the PC! We have constant improvements, warm milk and cookies.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By Vinny_Says

Like the internets, making games is expensive, and people would like to get the most out of their technology in this economic climate.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mnzy

Also, I don't think the big companies really know where to go with their next consoles.
They will probably be pretty different in terms of online connectivity and controls (depending on the success of Move and Kinect).
I'm liking this current generation, graphics are fine on my 720p display, I like the controls and because of a few updates here and there, it doesn't feel too old yet.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BraveToaster
@Muttinus_Rump said:
" Where are the rules on how long console generations should last? "
This. 
watshisname08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By watshisname08
@No0b0rAmA: Shhh! Be quiet about the cookies and milk.  More for us PC gamers!
korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By korwin

You'll probably see new consoles starting to pop up Q4 2012, at which point the support for the currently platforms will start to slowly taper off to the end of the 10 year support cycle.

Avatar image for detectivespecial
DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DetectiveSpecial

There are too many new technologies being adopted too quickly for the old system of "console generation" to be efficient. Not four years ago, if Sony wanted to allow Netflix streaming on a device, they would have to plan ahead and release new hardware for it. If you look at a PS3 now compared to when it launched, it has a completely different set of features. Same goes for the 360. 
However, both systems have pathetic RAM, even by the standards of their launch dates. 
If anything forces a new console generation on us sooner rather than later, I would guess it'd be on developers needing a realistic amount of memory to play with. 
I would bet that in two years you'll be able to buy a console that is only slightly more graphically capable, but has a standard 4 gigs of RAM.

While I'm feeling psychic....................Bears lose tomorrow. 
Oh yes......I feel it.......

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@watshisname08:
O rly? Where is ur white user name colour proving that you deserve these warm milk and cookies!
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

They're probably spending about a billion or 2 billion in research
for the next gen console, so I don't expect them to produce a new
one so quickly. In fact, it seems they could be churning them out
a lot more slowly in future generations.