#1 Posted by killr0y (114 posts) -

After watching the PAX Prime Warface trailer, I couldn't help thinking about an awesome concept for a next gen videogame.

So if you haven't seen the trailer, the game is essentially a mashup of CoD, that one FPS that looked cool but nobody bought (with the parkour or whatever in it), and just about ever FPS cliche you could imagine.

What if there was a game that instead of scoring points by shooting enemies, you got points for trolling your team and shooting them in the back of the head? What if instead of chasing terrorists through the Brazilian favelas, you mowed down every broke-ass civilian that poked their head out of a window or ran down the street screaming? What if you could just drop a brick of C4 in the back of the truck you and your team are riding in, and you pulled the detonator trigger? This sounds like some serious next-gen shit to me.

basically, the game would revolve around fighting not only an enemy AI (whether they shoot back or not is optional), but you also have to watch out for the one guy on your team who is actually a mole (or a troll, as it were). This could lead to some seriously intense gameplay, because while you are trying to win with your team, someone on your team is out shooting civilians or your teammates so you lose the mission, and everyone has to watch out for this guy.

Thoughts?

#2 Posted by GunstarRed (5164 posts) -

I played Kane & Lynch multiplayer. Getting gunned down by one of your own team is NEVER fun.

#3 Posted by CaLe (3981 posts) -

Nothing about any of that needs next-gen tech. It needs an asshole of a game developer. Kane and Lynch did something like this...

#4 Posted by ShaggE (6450 posts) -

A game with an "untrustworthy AI team mate" mechanic? The Thing?

A game where team-killing is encouraged, not as a mode, but as the entire game? That seems... less than fun.

#5 Posted by ThePaleKing (613 posts) -

@killr0y said:

So if you haven't seen the trailer, the game is essentially a mashup of CoD - and just about ever FPS cliche you could imagine.

Why did you not just stop here. Then think about what you wrote. Then not posted it.

#6 Posted by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

Worrying that a member of your team is actively sabotaging the team for their own amusement? That's not next gen, that's PC gaming circa 2

#7 Posted by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -
@Brodehouse ... Ahem, PC gaming circa 2002.

No edits on mobile site.
#8 Posted by EchoEcho (825 posts) -

If you want to get shot in the back of the head or have your vehicle blown up by an asshole team mate, just play Battlefield 3 on Hardcore. Guaranteed to happen at least once every match, especially during the early game vehicle rush.

#9 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

You are talking about the game that is the VERY GENESIS OF THIS WEBSITE.

#10 Posted by Yummylee (21613 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

That was such a fun and ambitious idea. Just too bad that more than often not, when one of your squad-mates would reveal to be a 'Thing', it was actually scripted.

#11 Posted by killr0y (114 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@ShaggE said:

That was such a fun and ambitious idea. Just too bad that more than often not, when one of your squad-mates would reveal to be a 'Thing', it was actually scripted.

That, plus my idea isn't about AI's its about human players. An AI would be easy to pick up on if they were embedded into a team of players.

#12 Posted by camp7203 (121 posts) -

Kane And Lynch, and honorable mention for the SWAT games.

#13 Posted by EXTomar (4711 posts) -

I'm still waiting for the graphics that were supposed to be the vivid dream that the PS3 and 360 were supposed to show us.

#14 Posted by killr0y (114 posts) -

@ThePaleKing said:

@killr0y said:

So if you haven't seen the trailer, the game is essentially a mashup of CoD - and just about ever FPS cliche you could imagine.

Why did you not just stop here. Then think about what you wrote. Then not posted it.

"Hey, lets go to some favelas and shoot enemies!", "Hey, lets go to some ambiguous former soviet country and shoot enemies!".. nope no cliche's to see here.. You gotta be totally kidding me, dude.

#15 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

Yea, like Carmegeddon, without cars!, that's so cool bro.

#16 Posted by Erk_Forever (157 posts) -

I think a game mode with a mole would be cool. Team based type stuff, where you're going after specific objectives, and the mole had a specific objective to disrupt and had a special set of abilities in order to hide his interference would be sort of cool.

#17 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2384 posts) -

You could just make a custom game like that in Halo.

#18 Posted by Zelyre (1192 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Worrying that a member of your team is actively sabotaging the team for their own amusement? That's not next gen, that's PC gaming circa 2002

Hah! That reminds me of the time when Ravenshield/Athenasword was out - 2003ish. A friend and I were playing public games while talking over Skype. Everytime one of us would die, the other would hole up and the dead guy would broadcast where the enemy was coming from. Since bullets could penetrate soft walls and such, it made for some -hilarious- times. Well -we- thought they were hilarious, at least.

Suffice it to say, people on -our- team accused us of cheating. So, they started shooting us in the leg to gimp us. In retaliation, we started throwing flashbangs randomly. Eventually, every match would start out with every one of us hobbling around with bullets in our legs until people started to rage. They kept killing us with friendly fire - til they got kicked off the server for repeatedly team killing.

#19 Posted by Tennmuerti (8090 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Worrying that a member of your team is actively sabotaging the team for their own amusement? That's not next gen, that's PC gaming circa 2002

Bravo.

That brought a smile to my face :)

#20 Posted by falserelic (5436 posts) -

Its almost like grenade fishing gone wrong.

#21 Posted by mrpandaman (866 posts) -

@falserelic said:

Its almost like grenade fishing gone wrong.

That should be one of the minigames for highly anticipated Call of Duty Party Edition.

#22 Posted by j0lter (231 posts) -

It would simply turn into you chilling with the other team trying to kill your "own" teammates, thus basically creating teams to kill each other again. It's redundant.

#23 Posted by believer258 (11891 posts) -
#24 Edited by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

MMMM...nope. I don't like this idea. Also, that gif with grenade fishing is really giving me anxiety about whether or not those guys were ok after that happened :(.

#25 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@killr0y said:

After watching the PAX Prime Warface trailer, I couldn't help thinking about an awesome concept for a next gen videogame.

So if you haven't seen the trailer, the game is essentially a mashup of CoD, that one FPS that looked cool but nobody bought (with the parkour or whatever in it), and just about ever FPS cliche you could imagine.

What if there was a game that instead of scoring points by shooting enemies, you got points for trolling your team and shooting them in the back of the head? What if instead of chasing terrorists through the Brazilian favelas, you mowed down every broke-ass civilian that poked their head out of a window or ran down the street screaming? What if you could just drop a brick of C4 in the back of the truck you and your team are riding in, and you pulled the detonator trigger? This sounds like some serious next-gen shit to me.

basically, the game would revolve around fighting not only an enemy AI (whether they shoot back or not is optional), but you also have to watch out for the one guy on your team who is actually a mole (or a troll, as it were). This could lead to some seriously intense gameplay, because while you are trying to win with your team, someone on your team is out shooting civilians or your teammates so you lose the mission, and everyone has to watch out for this guy.

Thoughts?

Its called DayZ
#26 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

That's so next gen it's practically VR!

#27 Posted by shoddyrobot (79 posts) -

I think you have a cool idea. Yea it's not next gen. BUT I think this kind of thing can be very fun especially with friends. Recent videos of Seananner's trouble in terrorist town are great proof of concept of this kind of gameplay.

#28 Posted by Gamer_152 (14077 posts) -

Firstly, I don't see what exactly this has to do with next gen and I'm not sure what that FPS with the parkour was, but the basic idea of there being a traitor on your team who can sabotage you, or you being that traitor, I love. The problems in this description are the execution, and the other features you're talking about. It should also be noted that this is not an original idea. While I'd love to see more games do the "traitor on your team" thing, as others have said this mechanic has already appeared in games such as Kane & Lynch 2 and Trouble in Terrorist Town. Heck, even the TF2 Spy basically represents this idea.

In execution I don't think this mechanic should ever devolve into just "trolling"; having a game that induces paranoia and features brutal kills is one thing, having a game that actively involves the large majority of players just being pissed off is bad game design. It's also bad game design if that one traitor is powerful enough to kill their entire team at the drop of a hat. As for mowing down civilians, I don't quite see the challenge or goal there, and it does kind of risk invoking that whole creepy modern military game "Hey guys, isn't macho military superiority and hellish warfare cool?" vibe. I also don't understand why this thing has to be drenched in FPS clichés. We already have far too many FPS games that already aim to recycle and repurpose the same few ideas over and over, why do we want more of that?

#29 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@kgb0515 said:
MMMM...nope. I don't like this idea. Also, that gif with grenade fishing is really giving me anxiety about whether or not those guys were ok after that happened :(.
It looks super fake. 
Either that or the camera just decided to cut the footage at the weirdest point
#30 Edited by DeadVillager (77 posts) -

The name of the game you're looking for is Brink. But the concept you're gunning for just doesn't work well as the focus of a game. To the ends of creating a game about player versus player deception, there's Spy Party, The Ship and Space Station 13 - as well as the Spy class in TF2. But none are really about team killing. If you're more interested in setting up scenarios where one player or set of players get to act as predators to another group, then just turn to L4D2's versus mode. And if you just want a game where the players murder every player and NPC in sight, then the Red Dead Redemption Free Roam mode will probably suit you just fine.

The problem about making a game focused on team killing, beyond the herculean feat of designing a scoring system that can track a player's abilities beyond just "Number of team mates killed" is that as soon as a player's objective becomes killing his or her team, the player's teammates cease to be their allies. Which makes the task of team killing somewhat difficult if they no longer see the other players as their team. Something like team killing is the sort of behavior that can't be built into a game, simply because the appeal of team killing is mischievous in nature. And when you encourage that kind of behavior, the appeal is lost.

#31 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

@EchoEcho said:

If you want to get shot in the back of the head or have your vehicle blown up by an asshole team mate, just play Battlefield 3 on Hardcore. Guaranteed to happen at least once every match, especially during the early game vehicle rush.

Or Counter Strike, I was killed no less then three times by my own team in 2 rounds.

#32 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@killr0y: You already made a poor point, but then you fucking insulted Mirror's fucking Edge? HOW DARE YOU.

#33 Posted by killr0y (114 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@killr0y: You already made a poor point, but then you fucking insulted Mirror's fucking Edge? HOW DARE YOU.

LOL, no I was actually talking about Brink.

#34 Posted by ShaggE (6450 posts) -

@kgb0515 said:

Notice the front guy's head magically disappear during the explosion, and the mannequin-like stiffness as his body is flung. It's even more apparent in the video version. Definitely fake.

#35 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@killr0y said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

LOL, no I was actually talking about Brink.

Man FUCK THAT GAME.