Next gen the death of screen tearing?

herdi3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This gen my absolute pet hate was screen tearing in games! I wonder with all of these announcements of "Game XYZ runs at 1080p 60fps" will we still see games with screen tearing in order to maintain a steady 60fps.

No one seems to be really talking about it.

I mean sure 60fps but not at the cost of screen tearing, it totally ruins immersion!

So will games that run at 60fps have v-sync enabled - thoughts?

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I should think so! I won't be paying £400 or whatever for a console that still has some of the problems the previous one has!

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did the 360 and PS3 run games at 60 fps when they first released? In that case I guess the answer is that every gen the games run flawlessly for a few years then start tearing and freezing when the machines get ancient and the tech moves forward.

Avatar image for thediabolicalbm
thediabolicalbm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By thediabolicalbm

I hope so i remember when i got darksiders 1 and it had horrible screen tearing problems on the 360 made it hard to play

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By kindgineer

@jouseldelka: I'm pretty sure I remember Perfect Dark Zero having screen tearing.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No because it is a bandwidth issue. With more powerful hardware they can increase the amount of data sent through the rendering pipeline but the bandwidth limitations still exist just at a higher value.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By monetarydread

There will always be a developer who would rather enable an extra shader effect at the expense of a locked frame-rate.

Frame tearing is one of the reasons why the PC is my gaming platform of choice. I, the user, choose what resolution I play at, the frame-rate, or graphical extras like v-sync or anti-aliasing.

OGred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By OGred

I would hope so

@cheesebob said:

I am the nucleus.

n1

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By korwin

Negative, someone is always going to do a restricted 30hz render without vsync in order to drop into the 20's. Consoles, your home for screen tearing since 2000!

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Screen tearing is part of the experience for me, i wouldn't have it any other way.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By BBAlpert

Screen tearing is part of the experience for me, i wouldn't have it any other way.

I can just imagine a number of years down the line, things like screen tearing and super jagged aliasing might be included "authenticity" options for re-releases of "retro" games the same way that a lot of arcade ports have settings for scan lines and CRT image distortion.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Frame tearing is one of the reasons why the PC is my gaming platform of choice. I, the user, choose what resolution I play at, the frame-rate, or graphical extras like v-sync or anti-aliasing.

Screen-tearing is what sent me back to PC gaming too.