#1 Edited by camp7203 (121 posts) -

This is mainly complaints in the multiplayer department. Things I can't stand that need to go. All these problems can be solved so it's more just a fun free for all complain fest. Feel free to leave your own funny/annoying grievances.

1. Dudes rapping inbetween matches/loading screens

2. Dudes spouting off crazy racial/homophobic remarks

3. Extraneous noise from players (radio, kids, nagging wifes)

4. Players who've hit "Prestige" 3 days after the game is released

5. Whiners - everytime they die it's, "OH MY GODDD", or "GOTTA BE KIDDING"

#2 Posted by Scroll (589 posts) -

Mute all

#3 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (4445 posts) -

Slow dashboards/Xmbs. Speed it up!

#4 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4030 posts) -

"I just talked to Jesus. He said "What up, Yeezus?" I said "Shit I'm chillin.' Trying to stack these millions."

#5 Posted by GS_Dan (1396 posts) -

Number 3 is only going to get worse if the Kinect is the default microphone on the Xbone.

#6 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9765 posts) -

I'm hoping that there's some sort of console level way to pause all games at any time. Too many games don't let you pause cut-scenes, and don't get me started on games that don't let you pause at all!

(Don't worry, Dark Souls, I still love you, but come on!)

#7 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1271 posts) -

Stop playing Call of Duty, complaints 1-5: Solved.

#8 Edited by Zelyre (983 posts) -

Launch Skype/Mumble/Teamspeak/Steam etc. Start voice chat. In game. Options. Voice. Mute.

On PSN, sync up your bluetooth headset. Join a game. Say "Hello?" Enjoy silence with an occasional, "Whoah, you have a mic too?"

An option to just disable voice chat outright, system wide, unless it's in party chat would be a great addition. Does anyone really care what xXSephiyasha420GhostKillah69Xx has to say?

#9 Edited by isomeri (1172 posts) -

Discs. The last 20 years have been great, but there's this new digital thing in my life and I don't want you hanging around my entertainment center anymore.

#10 Posted by TooWalrus (12978 posts) -

#11 Edited by JasonR86 (9379 posts) -

There's a mute option...

#12 Posted by wjb (1553 posts) -

I don't think next-gen is going to prevent people from being obnoxious, but sure.

Besides obvious improvements, I want little details like:

• TressFX in all games (wrestler's hair, especially)
  • No more dead eyes
  • Replays in sports games should not look so dumb in slow-motion
  • If a character is in a cold environment, I want them to bundle up (Ni No Kuni got it right)
  • I want characters to change clothes!
  • I finished Black Ops II and the stupid "music video" at the end had dudes playing guitars without straps!
  • I want shooters to be like Max Payne 3: whatever gun I have will be the gun shown in the following cut-scene
  • In-game clocks should pause when I pause; I didn't play Fallout 3 for 150 hours.

I'll stop.

#13 Edited by wrecks (2125 posts) -

All Cutscenes Must Be Skippable Always Motherfuckers!

#14 Edited by camp7203 (121 posts) -

@ll_exile_ll: TRUE!

For the most part this is just lame attempts at humor. Just things that annoy the piss out of me (and many others).

Please remember many of us pay EXTRA money for the right to hear D_TRICK_GUNSHY rap and boast about his skillz.

#15 Edited by Toxin066 (3197 posts) -

A decision must be made on where "subtitles" fall under (correct answer is under audio).

#16 Posted by jimmyfenix (3682 posts) -

@wjb: Also every game must end with this song!

#17 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9765 posts) -

@toxin066 said:

A decision must be made on where "subtitles" fall under (correct answer is under audio).

You are WRONG! Subtitles have nothing to do with audio, it is a PURELY VISUAL thing. It appears on screen, and does not affect the AUDIO of the game at all! Video is clearly the right choice!

#18 Edited by camp7203 (121 posts) -

Where do subtitles fall on DVD menus?

#19 Posted by wjb (1553 posts) -

@jimmyfenix: Yeah! The path to the Ivory Tower to face the White Witch in Ni No Kuni would be so much better if that song was on loop! It's makes everything 78% cooler.

@toxin066 said:

You are WRONG! Subtitles have nothing to do with audio, it is a PURELY VISUAL thing. It appears on screen, and does not affect the AUDIO of the game at all! Video is clearly the right choice!

If I had it my way, subtitles would be on automatically and everyone will be happy.

#20 Edited by CptBedlam (4439 posts) -

edit: never mind, wrong thread

edit2: I don't get those complaints. What do any of those have to do with a new generation of consoles? Do we get a new and improved generation of gamers as well? And complaining about players hitting the prestige rank too early? Weird...

#21 Posted by TooWalrus (12978 posts) -

@jimmyfenix: This, I support. God damn I loved Max Payne 3.

#22 Posted by Live2bRighteous (306 posts) -

All guns in TPS's must be fully animated. Magazines come out/in, shells come out, bolt is pulled, slide goes back when you shoot, etc. Max Payne 3 and The Last of Us is a good example of what I'm talking about. Every single third person game that exists now should always have that.

#23 Posted by Clonedzero (3726 posts) -

@wrecks said:

But all Cutscenes also need to be able to be paused.

I hate that gamble of watching a cutscene, getting a phonecall and i hit start to pause it, and it skips. Pause it with a confirmation button to skip when paused.

#24 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@isomeri said:

Discs. The last 20 years have been great, but there's this new digital thing in my life and I don't want you hanging around my entertainment center anymore.

Go digital or go home :P

Seriously though, physical copies are my childhood but I hate having to sift through it all. I'm glad the next-gen consoles offer day one downloads and it's incredibly more convient.

#25 Posted by Mister_Avatar (67 posts) -

Well as long as we're getting all pie-in-the-sky about this I'd like to add a few of my own.

1. Better match making: If SC2 and LOL can come up with match making systems that actually achieve a 50/50 win loss ratio then why in heck can't the consoles.

2. Matching like ping with like ping: Players should be matched with other players of similar pings. Listen I get that sometimes you just chuck people together to get games going as fast as possible, but I'd prefer to wait another 30 seconds to find someone with a 80 ping than to wait two minutes for the guy with a 500 ping to load.

3. Region Selection: All games should allow me to choose who want I want to play at any time and this should be both macro, inclusionary, and micro exclusionary. Meaning, if I want Halo 5 to search for people who live in the same state as me, I should be able to do that even if it means longer wait times. Likewise, if I want to be exposed to world Halo play, I should be able to do that too.

4. Streaming Music: All streaming music services, that wants to, should work with every next gen consoles. Not only should they work, but they should be allowed to run at the same time as your game, and you should be able to toggle to it whenever you want.

5. Controller Finder: Any of you with small children or significant other know how annoying it is to come home after work only to find that your trusty controller isn't where you left it. I want a button, app, something, that allows me to ping my controller and it to beep until I find it.

6. Preloading for day one digital: Steam does it, Blizzard does it, so should you.

7. Trail accounts for Multiplayer games: It's a real bummer that if I want a buddy of mine to try out some multiplayer he either has to be in the same house as me, (assuming the game even supports that) or I can't play with him. There really needs to be a way that I can let him try a multiplayer game for a few hours with me, assuming we are both online and on our own consoles.

I could go on and on, but I think I'll leave some for the rest of you.

#26 Edited by TheHT (10287 posts) -

@wrecks said:

And Fucking Pausable.

#27 Posted by Mystyr_E (1172 posts) -

Exclusively exclusive stuff from participating exclusive retailers

I get that DLC is quite prominent but I shouldn't have to get a collector's edition, plus pre-order or ask/trade for codes from 5 different retailers, like a page on Facebook, follow on Twitter, sign up for a newsletter, wash their car and do their taxes just to get everything

#28 Edited by Scampbell (438 posts) -
  • More solutions in games and the logical one should almost always work.
  • More dynamic game worlds and more direct consequences to actions.
  • Less character progression, more player skill progression.
  • Better stories.
  • Less FPS. More experimentation.
  • Oculus RIft support for everything.
  • More cheap digital games, digital should generally always be cheaper than a disk copy.

@live2brighteous said:

All guns in TPS's must be fully animated. Magazines come out/in, shells come out, bolt is pulled, slide goes back when you shoot, etc. Max Payne 3 and The Last of Us is a good example of what I'm talking about. Every single third person game that exists now should always have that.

Metro: Last Light is even better at this stuff.

#29 Posted by Video_Game_King (34616 posts) -

Two things from Assassin's Creed III:

1. Mandate that games pause when the batteries run out in your controller. I can't tell you how much life I lost because my battery pack is fiddly as all hell.
  2. STOP TREATING GAMES LIKE MOVIES. It's annoying as hell.
#30 Posted by RetroMetal (180 posts) -

@camp7203:

I don't know what "Next Gen" has to do with any of this, but can I add to the list...

REPLACE YOUR ****ING BATTERIES IN YOUR SMOKE DETECTORS, FFS.

#31 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

@toxin066 said:

Nah, subtitles are an alternate method of presenting the audio information present in a scene. They belong under audio settings for that reason and because it is more convenient for me.

#32 Posted by Wuddel (2057 posts) -

Checkpoint saves must go. If you want ro checkpoint the progression in eg. shooters thats fine but they must save in the same fucking frame on exit. And you generally should be able to save everywhere and maybe have quicksave on consoles.

Also standardize the location of subtitles in menus.

All games must me multilanguage at all times.

#33 Posted by DeF (4692 posts) -

@wrecks said:

All cutscenes must be PAUSABLE.

#34 Edited by HerbieBug (3845 posts) -

@wrecks said:

Start button should always pause the cutscene and bring up a prompt asking to skip or not skip. Actually, any button should do that. On the same topic, developers don't need to put a giant PRESS THIS BUTTON RIGHT HERE TO SKIP on the screen during cutscene; that is entirely unnecessary.

#35 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2167 posts) -

QTE need to die before next gen starts or I'll be very sad that developers somehow still think these are cool.

#36 Posted by EchoEcho (807 posts) -

@toxin066 said:

Nah, son. They belong in audio because they are directly related to the audio. Video settings are for how the game looks -- brightness levels, graphics settings, etc.

If we have to make a compromise, put them in the generic Game Settings menu.

#37 Edited by HerbieBug (3845 posts) -

@cold_wolven said:

QTE need to die before next gen starts or I'll be very sad that developers somehow still think these are cool.

Unfortunately I don't expect QTE's to go away any time soon. Developers like them too much because they are a handy crutch to doing a quick and dirty dramatic scene that they can say is still "interactive" even though it's just a cutscene with button prompts. QTE's still exist, despite how clear it is that players hate them, for this reason*. :(

I'm referring only to games that are not built specifically around QTE as a primary mechanic; Asura's Wrath and Heavy Rain et al.

#38 Posted by thatdutchguy (1218 posts) -

I don't think anything should go ... i just want those few rare games that make me really glad to be a gamer, like The Last of us and LA noir, Shadow of the collosus, Journey, Shenmue, Yakuza, Deus ex human revolution, Alan Wake etc etc.

Games that make me think and make me feel some kind of emotion are the most important to me, i just hope they will keep being made because i feel i'm too mature for shooters like call of duty and Titanfall etc.

#39 Posted by Jimbo (9710 posts) -

Audio is the correct place for subtitles, but fuck you if you're using English subs with English audio (unless you're deaf).

@wrecks said:

Start button should always pause the cutscene and bring up a prompt asking to skip or not skip. Actually, any button should do that. On the same topic, developers don't need to put a giant PRESS THIS BUTTON RIGHT HERE TO SKIP on the screen during cutscene; that is entirely unnecessary.

Definitely. I'd say any unnecessary HUD elements should be ruthlessly cut.

PRESS THE TRIANGLE BUTTON TO OPEN THE DOOR JUST LIKE THE LAST 100 TIMES YOU OPENED A DOOR! DONT FORGET YOURE PLAYING A GAME OK?? OK BYE UNTIL NEXT TIME IMBECILE! *takes up 3/4 of the screen*

#40 Posted by OneManX (1664 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@mooseymcman said:

@toxin066 said:

Nah, subtitles are an alternate method of presenting the audio information present in a scene. They belong under audio settings for that reason and because it is more convenient for me.

Yo... Pause -> Options -> Subtitles: Y/N

Why click through an extra menu, since that is pretty much the first thing people mess with before starting a game.

#41 Posted by Lord_Xp (599 posts) -

@zelyre said:

Launch Skype/Mumble/Teamspeak/Steam etc. Start voice chat. In game. Options. Voice. Mute.

On PSN, sync up your bluetooth headset. Join a game. Say "Hello?" Enjoy silence with an occasional, "Whoah, you have a mic too?"

An option to just disable voice chat outright, system wide, unless it's in party chat would be a great addition. Does anyone really care what xXSephiyasha420GhostKillah69Xx has to say?

I want to hear about his youtube channel's 360 no scope montage

#yoloswag360noscopes420blazzzzzzzinXXX

#42 Posted by Vinny_Says (5630 posts) -

If your FPS character has a fully detailed shadow, I should be able to look down and see my feet (I`m looking at you Metro Last Light).

Call it the Halo standard or whatever.....

#43 Edited by Clonedzero (3726 posts) -

If your FPS character has a fully detailed shadow, I should be able to look down and see my feet (I`m looking at you Metro Last Light).

Call it the Halo standard or whatever.....

Yeah, I'm gonna back you on this one. It drives me crazy when i can't see the rest of my body in FPS's. I feel like an awkward floating head in CoD.

It's a standard i expect to see in every FPS for now on honestly.