NexT Generation Consoles Game Sizes (GB), Are YoU Ready?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By bigjeffrey
Videa GameJigabytes
Call Of Duty: Ghost49GB
Knack37GB
Killzone Shadow Fall39GB
NBA 2k1450GB - 60GB
RYSE: Son Of Rome47GB
Forza 535GB
Dead Rising 335GB

Sizes so far.

Does this paint a wall in your transition to all digital games (On Console).

Or will you continue to smell retail games after opening them for the first time.

A cool thing that was possible on 360 and is transitioning to XONE, is this on PS4 as well??? Probably. Saves download time for people with friends that'll let em borrow the disk and poor internet

Microsoft Dude replies.
Microsoft Dude replies.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Darji

Killzone has no mandatory install or loading screens. I think it all depends on the game. I am pretty sure it will run better with installing games but that's it.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By ShadowSkill11

I don't care. I have fiber optic broadband with no limits. I plow through 50 GB in a relatively short period of time. It would take me longer to drive to a store and back or wait for the mailman to deliver a release day box than it would take me to download 50 GB.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Considering my supposed speed test, I have 12.40 mb/s. And with this here download-time calculator, 35 GB would take just about Eight hours. Yay!. I'm watching the Tested Oktoberkast right now though, and won't stop throttling it til way the hell Sunday. I'll check back here later, I think. :?

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SlashDance

Downloading the updated version of Human Revolution took me about 22 hours. And that's 18gigs I think.

I need faster Internet... :(

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm find Internet-wise, but I'm not sure space-wise. Seems like I'd need to go for a bigger HD SKU. Though, I suppose I could go digital and, kind of like PC, only have a handful installed at one time.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering my supposed speed test, I have 12.40 mb/s. And with this here download-time calculator, 35 GB would take just about Eight hours. Yay!. I'm watching the Tested Oktoberkast right now though, and won't stop throttling it til way the hell Sunday. I'll check back here later, I think. :?

You can actually play earlier on PS4 and Xbox one. For example: With Killzone Shadowfall you only need 7.5GB before you can play and this is a common feature for both consoles.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. I get around 10 MB/s download. If anything, I just find digital purchasing more convenient. Half the time I want to "game" is on my time off, and that means that I don't want to go through my usual routines of dressing up to go outside. I don't own a t-shirt, so getting dressed for me is a dress top and slacks/nice pair of jeans. Anything to circumvent that is okay by me!

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Oh I forget. So, a little over 1h 40m sounds right. Hm..

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

So, we've gone from writing entire words in all caps to writing things like Devil May Cry.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Darji

With this download calculator I need 01:06:40 hours for the full 50GB XD

That would be way faster then me going to a store and buy it XD

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EXTomar

It is manageable if buyers are allowed to buy and download way ahead of the release date.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey: I saw Drew in the chat, but I dunno about Alexis, hm..

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slow internet with a 45GB cap/month. Yea. Retail. Plus I like the look of a modest collection.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Trust me, I would LOVE to go all digital but my internet is garbage. According to that calculator, it'd take me anywhere between 37-50 hours for the smallest download from that list :'(

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Sooty

Nope. It takes me like half hour to download 45GB and hard drive space is not a concern.

@blu3v3nom07 said:

You don't have 12.40mb/s, I think you mean you have a 12MB connection.

12.40mb/s download speed would result in 35GB being downloaded in way under an hour.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By gike987

Not a problem,100Mb/s and download caps don't really exist here.

elyhaym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By elyhaym

@slashdance said:

Downloading the updated version of Human Revolution took me about 22 hours. And that's 18gigs I think.

I need faster Internet... :(

That's interesting. On PC it's only like 8.3 Gigs installed. In fact, I don't think I have single game clocking over 20 GB on PC and that's counting some pretty big ones like:

Batman: Arkham City
Dark Souls
Dishonored
Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas
X-COM: Enemy Unknown

Got me thinking, is there some lack of compression on consoles or something, since it seems that game size is much greater on consoles than on PC?

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Wuddel

I will just install everthing and reload it when needed.

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm going to continue with retail, simply because the installs will be smaller and easier to micromanage

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not I guess. I'll stick to retail, I like boxes anyway.

Having to download that much would almost take a day or more for me...

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Gaikai will be the future you guys!!!! But that's pretty expected I think but kinda scary, downloading games a game on my pc around 20gbs takes at least a day. I'll be sticking with my pc but when I do get a ps4 unless the streaming services are still not functioning I'll stay with buying discs for my console.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ughhhhhh I may have to go back to retail.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

For a while, I planned to go full on digital this coming gen, but after seeing some of these download sizes I'm not so sure. I'll just have to take them on a case by case basis.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By thatdutchguy

That's like 9 games on a 500 GB harddrive lol, no way i'm going all digital.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By audiosnow

I live about twenty minutes from both Redmond and Bellevue, Washington. You know, the headquarters of Microsoft and Valve, respectively.

The fastest Internet available at my house would allow me to get a game in 162 hours.

Or I could spend sixty cents on gasoline and a half-hour of my time.

Guess which option I'm going with.

@elyhaym said:

Got me thinking, is there some lack of compression on consoles or something, since it seems that game size is much greater on consoles than on PC?

I don't think console games can compress any files on their disks since, at least on the Xbox 360, there's no guarantee there'll be a hard drive to decompress onto.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#28  Edited By Raven10

@elyhaym: I have a couple games that are well over 20 GB. I think Shogun 2: Total War is the biggest at 35 GB. I have a couple others well over 20. That said the reason for the high sizes are the super high quality textures. When you have 8 GB of RAM available you can put in those super high quality textures but they take up a lot of space. People spent the second half of this generation complaining about texture quality. All those super high-res textures take up a lot of space. Both Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2 on PC didn't include the high res textures in the main download. You had some 2 GB download just for textures and they weren't nearly as high res as what we are seeing with next gen games. Remember that a lot of current gen textures were made for games with a sub-720p resolution. Call of Duty was like 540p or something. Move to textures for 1080p and you get a massive jump in size.

elyhaym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven10: That makes sense. Although a game like Skyrim on PC is 15 GB and that's with high quality textures, it still seems odd to me that you have games like Uncharted 2 that takes up 18-20 GB. It's probably a combination of your explanation and @mlarrabee's take on it. Just found it curious, is all.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

50 gigs is over half my internet cap for the month. I'm not going digital.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

@elyhaym: The thing with Skyrim is that a lot of textures are repeated. Skyrim is a huge game but not every area is completely unique. Most areas are made up of a handful of building blocks just put together in various ways. For example, a single tree might be used a dozen or even 100 times in the game. You only need to put that tree on the disc a single time and then create an instance of the object when you stream in the scene. Uncharted has two disadvantages. The first is that every level, and indeed most areas in every level are completely unique with individual objects and textures that are not reused in later levels. Those textures and objects that are reused, though, are actually stored on the disc multiple times, once for each level that object/texture is used in. They do this because the seek times on the PS3 blu-ray drive are very slow. If you have a texture at 10 different spots on the disc you can be certain that the drive will be able to get to that texture quickly enough to stream it into the game. That is how Sony first party games managed to look so good with the very, very limited amount of RAM in the system. They got stuff to stream super quickly by putting it all over the disc. Killzone did that as well, as did God of War and a bunch of other first party games. Guerrilla recently explained that one of the biggest changes it had to make for the current gen was removing that system since they now were limited by disc space not by RAM. But, yea, in the end the blu-ray drive was probably the best bet Sony made this gen.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By colourful_hippie

lol at the console HDD capacities then. This won't make much of a difference with the 3TB I have in my PC

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Internet is pretty fast so the file sizes will not be an issue.

Selidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty: No, he was right. 12 megabits per second.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By spraynardtatum

Mandatory install = goddammit

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well it looks like I still have an excuse to buy everything retail, then.

Tom_Scherschel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't plan on ever buying a physical copy of a game again after I get a PS4/Xbox One. As long as I can delete and redownload at will then I don't care about file size. I get 30mbs down so none of those launch day games would take that long anyway (assuming servers aren't getting slammed and Sony has fixed their service).

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will probably just buy/order the disk version. I have comcast and well its OK. But i dont want to download 50gigs of shit, 5-6 gigs of current gen games takes long enough. 50? MAN. I mean i could do it with no real downside to me, but that'd probably be an overnight download.

Will i end up buying digital copies of games eventually on next-gen? Yup! But it'll probably be on sale or something, day one stuff will just be amazon disc's cus, well, why not?

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By Zlimness

@the_great_time_muffin said:

12 megabit per second = 12 Mbit/s.

12 megabyte per second = 12 MB/s.

A 12 Mbps connection would result in something like 1-1.2 MB/s downstream.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@zlimness said:
@the_great_time_muffin said:

12 megabit per second = 12 Mbit/s.

12 megabyte per second = 12 MB/s.

A 12 Mbps connection would result in something like 1-1.2 MB/s downstream.

this

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By EXTomar

@thatdutchguy said:

That's like 9 games on a 500 GB harddrive lol, no way i'm going all digital.

What else are you going to use the hard drive for? Hording games is one thing but hording unused hard drive space is crazy.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

quick and dirty conversion, divide your Mbit speed by 10, to get your MB speed. (its actually 1MB = 8Mbit, but you're not going to get a perfect connection.)

We are never going to really see the "digital revolution" until:

- ISPs stop data capping, or at least they stop gouging users for going over caps.

- HDDs in game consoles become drastically cheaper. If i'm paying the same for games, why would I go disc-free if it means spending a couple hundred in hard drives?