• 94 results
#51 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -

@rolanthas: I just tried holding a 360 controller that way and it feels super awkward.

To each their own, I suppose.

#52 Edited by believer258 (11917 posts) -

@Village_Guy said:

Stay with the 360 controller but add a better D-pad (and then the return of the glorious black and white buttons from the original Xbox! 6 face buttons was the best!) :D

Pretty much this. Keep LB and RB, but put the black and white buttons back on it and give us a working d-pad. Sometimes I feel like there's a slight shortage of buttons and I can't help but feel like next gen will be worse, so those two black and white buttons could really come in handy; if anything, they could use them for quicksaving. Anyway, the 360 controller's current shape and placement of everything is incredibly close to perfect as it is. My hands conform to it so well and smoothly. I can use a Dualshock and enjoy games with it, but it always feels way too light and small to me.

#53 Posted by Gladiator_Games (444 posts) -

VMUs

#54 Posted by Amafi (769 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind: My brand spanking new black wireless 360 controller, my old wireless 360 controller and my wired 360 controller all work perfectly under windows 8. Biggest difference was, no need to install the controller utilities shit like in 7.

#55 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@MordeaniisChaos said:

@MrKlorox said:

I hope controllers go in the direction of the Razer Hydra; which would basically be a standard controller, split into two "nunchucks", with full freedom and motion support allowing for lightgun-style aiming. Finally dual-wielding will make sense when you can shoot two dudes at the same time.

I think the move has already proven that is a shitty experience.

No, the Move did nothing of the sort. All the Move proved is that Sony can't just ripoff Nintendo and find the same success without actually advancing the the way people used the thing. The Move took out inputs that the standard controllers have and replaced them with motion. This is the exact opposite of what I said.
#56 Posted by thechronodarkness (294 posts) -

I do really hope sony does something to the dual shock. Other than its d-pad, its really not that great a controller, especially for shooters. Now for people and children with smaller hands, I can understand why the appeal is there. But if you have bigger hands or play shooters alot, the 360 controller and the wii u pro controller I used at an event recently *two thumbsticks up top, concave too like the 360s* really are great. Convex sticks are just so difficult to aim with. I typically have to turn the aim sensitivity in every ps3 shooter out there. Mgs4 was probably the only exception.

Essentially? The 360 controller layout needs to be the same. If you want to add some motion control thats fine. Don't put the analog sticks too far away from the palm of your hands like on the dual shock, and make the d-pad the first thing your hands want to go for. Concave sticks. Rumble or some nice advanced forcefeed back *in my dreams*.

#57 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

The analog sticks on the PS3 make me have to stretch my hands uncomfortably to use them. I hate it.

#58 Posted by BBAlpert (1476 posts) -

Whatever happened to pressure sensitive face buttons they used on the PS2? Did they carry that over to PS3 or was it just scrapped?

#59 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@ValiantGrizzly said:

@Terramagi: @Hippie_Genocide: @Canteu:

Wait, wait, wait wait wait wait, wait.

What?

You actually have four fingers on your shoulder buttons at all times? That would feel so unnatural.

Yeah, this is blowing my mind. Index fingers only, baby.

#60 Posted by mgray5159 (45 posts) -

Me, I because I am the controller... Right?...

#61 Edited by OAJ (6 posts) -

I just want controllers like this to become standard: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_AAvC0ZSs-1k/S_F6l8dsZxI/AAAAAAAAB3E/uPy-bAsibRM/s400/Phoenix-Reconfigurable-Cont.jpg

You can pull out the the sticks/buttons/d-pad and swap them around to whatever layout you find most comfortable. You could also have other inputs; replace one of the analog sticks with a trackball and use that for mouse style camera control. Other than that, keep the shoulder triggers/bumpers and add 4 more buttons along the bottom on the grips. Basically like the grip buttons on this controller: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41N9GGQNEEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg I know people are going to argue with that and say its too many buttons, but I've been playing Dishonored and that game really would benefit from having more "fire buttons" so you don't have to swap between powers so much. A lot of games feel like they've run out of buttons and you end up having to spend too much time pulling up menus to swap out items. They could even make one or more of these underside buttons a scroll wheel like you find on mice so you can rapidly cycle through things.

#62 Posted by csl316 (8693 posts) -

Just gimme a 360 controller with a better D-pad or a Dual Shock with 360 sticks.

#63 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

From a programming perspective, as long as they do not remove features it is possible that all games that were programmed to use the 360 gamepad could use the new gamepad. So updating it should not be much of a problem.

#64 Posted by Spike_Kojima (56 posts) -

SONY NEEDS TO FIX THE SPRINGY TRIGGERS!!!! Also .. HAPTIC FEEDBACK!!"111

I read Sony have patents for putting temperature feedback in their move controllers.. Not sure how I feel about that. Just don't fix what doesn't need fixing .

#65 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

Keep the 360 controller the same only fix the shit d pad. Sony need to completely redesign theirs because the dual shock is garbage. That wii u controller looks pretty good.

#66 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Fuck controllers. Anyone read Ready Player One? That's what I want. Tactile gloves first, then full body suits later.

#67 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

All 360 contoller need is better D-Pad and sticks with more resistance so you can aim more precise, the shape is perfect though.

PS3 controller needs to change, the base design of the PS controller is for your main movement to be where the D-Pad is thats why is feels so awkward.

#68 Posted by Nodima (1203 posts) -

Just standardize the Dual Shock across all manner of gaming. Dual Shock and the N64's controller (I'm a lefty) are the most natural thing on the planet to me. Lovers of the XBox controllers confound me, especially the sticks being offset how they are. Everything about the 360 controller feels awkward to me; if Microsoft adopted a more Dual Shock-like design, and allowed basic online functions like head-to-head gaming, Netflix, Hulu Plus and web browsing for free, I MIGHT consider getting the next XBox. But I doubt any of that happens so, Sony - please just keep the Dual Shock 3. It's beautiful.

#69 Posted by ripelivejam (3979 posts) -

count me in the camp that prefers a slightly larger dualshock for my meaty mitts :(

i've always preferred the both analog sticks at the bottom design

#70 Posted by Lazyaza (2184 posts) -

All I want from my controllers next gen is for both the dpads and the thumbsticks to not suck. PS3 one needed better sticks, 360 one needed better dpad. Overall I just want a longer lasting better made version of what we already got.

#71 Posted by ajamafalous (12001 posts) -

The only complaint I have about the 360 controller is that the D-Pad is sometimes a pain, but it's fine in most games. I'd honestly just prefer continued support for the 360 controller.

The Dualshock is a piece of hot garbage and needs a complete rework in almost all facets of its design.

#72 Posted by kortex (444 posts) -

i think its time for more facebuttons. just bring back the black and white ones, ms.

#73 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2775 posts) -

@Delta_Ass said:

Sony needs to move on from the Playstation 1 era.

LOL. I am sure that is why Wii U was forced to have what amounts to a Pro joypad that they are forced to talk about it in the same breath as the Wii U Pad and the Wii-mote.

Do you know why automobiles still have steering wheels and aircraft still have sticks/yokes....THEY WORK. As long as most human have to arms and two hands there will always be joypads shape just as they are now. The simple bit n' bridle has stayed the same for the last 4,000 years because the shape of a horse mouth and the fact we have two hands has stayed the same. At a certain point there is little improvement or variation to be made. What works, better or worse, as a simple solution is used.

#74 Posted by evanbower (1211 posts) -

@Wong_Fei_Hung: ...Does the name Linkyshinks mean anything to you?

#75 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I hope the next Xbox or PlayStation controller has:

- Same layout as the 360 pad

- The analog buttons from the PS3 controller (not including the shitty "triggers")

- Bumpers made to feel a little more sturdy

- Slight reduction in weight

- PS3 d-pad

#76 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6199 posts) -

Wouldn't mind seeing Sony release a controller with some grip to it - and a longer cord out of the box is a must. My USB cord is short as hell. But yeah, for the most part, I'd just like to see the PS4 controller have slightly better "trigger" buttons, something with a larger spring to it as well as some sort of molding that feels more natural to my fingers. I'd also like to see them do away with that crack running through the controller. After a long play session, that can chafe.

For the 360, all they really need to do is make the D-pad more sensitive. I'm super fond of the 360 controller and consider it the best of any console I've played. Maybe, as someone else stated, there could be some variations released in size. I wouldn't mind a bit more bulk to the thing, but that's being super nitpicky.

#77 Posted by 49th (2758 posts) -

Playstation will have thermal controllers. X-box will have some kind of wrist/hand controller that you strap to yourself for using with kinect 2.

#78 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1225 posts) -

@Toxin066 said:

@Colourful_Hippie said:

Sony is bringing the boomerang back.

Get it?

Well played.

For a while, I thought I forgot how to throw a boomerang. But it just came back to me.

I did Nazi that coming... wait, I don't think I did it right.

#79 Posted by Brendan (7811 posts) -

The controllers will stay pretty much the same. I don't really have any demands either, other than the d-pad on the Xbox controller.

#80 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3336 posts) -

I'd be surprised if either of them changed significantly.

MS is in need of a serious D-pad upgrade and Sony needs to throw out the L2/R2 triggers and come up with something that feels tighter. I'd love to see better face buttons too. MS' are too round and Sony's too short.

Also a controller with a folding accordion-style keyboard or touch screen in the center would be cool.

#81 Posted by M_Shini (551 posts) -

Id like to think they stay mostly the same, hopefully the PlayStation controller shape would be a bit fuller, the 360 works perfect for me, i even like the D pad, bit im sure if people hate that i wouldn't mind a better one if they changed it.

Whats up with the WiiU controllers since i know almost nothing about it, does it use Wii style controllers since its obviously not just the tablet or some classic style gamepad.

#82 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

@MonkeyKing1969 said:

@Delta_Ass said:

LOL. I am sure that is why Wii U was forced to have what amounts to a Pro joypad that they are forced to talk about it in the same breath as the Wii U Pad and the Wii-mote.

Do you know why automobiles still have steering wheels and aircraft still have sticks/yokes....THEY WORK. As long as most human have to arms and two hands there will always be joypads shape just as they are now. The simple bit n' bridle has stayed the same for the last 4,000 years because the shape of a horse mouth and the fact we have two hands has stayed the same. At a certain point there is little improvement or variation to be made. What works, better or worse, as a simple solution is used.

I think he was talking about how the Playstation controller is extremely uncomfortable for a lot of people and it's amazing that they haven't fixed it for over a decade.

#83 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2220 posts) -

I hope that Microsoft sticks with the twisty d-pad controller as I feel it's perfect for any type of game I play. The next gen PlayStation controller I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of an update specifically the shoulder buttons so my fingers could get a better grip on the triggers without slipping.

#84 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

Even though I hate playing games with controllers, what the next generations controller will look and feel like is always one of the most interesting parts of the reveal to me. I'm sure they will come up with some new pointless feature to require people to buy new controllers as they would hate to allow people to just keep using the ones they have now when they could force people to "upgrade" to new ones for $50-$60 a pop. Will see how it goes.

#85 Edited by Trylks (829 posts) -

Wii-U, SmartGlass, PSP Vita.

Touchscreen seems pretty standard already, after kinect, wiimote and that thing with the colored ball sony did. Or are you speaking about the gen after that?

PD: I hope the 360 controller stays for PCs, I love it. Just get the triggers from the original xbox back.

#86 Posted by cthomer5000 (795 posts) -

I'm not sure there will be too much difference. It certainly seems like everyone really likes either the PS3 or XBOX 360 controller, so i don't see too much reason for either to change.

#87 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@VisariLoyalist said:

Personally I hope they get bigger like, a bigger version of the current xbox controller, cause my hands are too big for the dualshock 3 to feel very comfortable. Actually you know what would be amazing is if they came in different sizes, it's kind of stupid that they don't do this already.

Having different sizes would ultimately confuse the market, and that's the last thing businesses want to do. Yes, it'd be cool for people knowing they need a bigger or smaller controller, but it seems the standardized controller size way of doing things won't stop. Sony probably expects third parties like madcatz to make custom controllers for niche markets (even though I don't think madcatz makes XL controllers, I can see Sony thinking it's not their own responsibility to serve such a small market).

#88 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

They'll be basically the same as they have been for several generations now. Publisher $$$ mandates easy porting between consoles so general functionality and button layout should be about the same.

MS should make minimal change to the 360 design. That's the best pad i've ever used (aside from the crappy d-pad).

Sony, I would like to see make some changes. Their triggers are mushy and cheap feeling. Put proper springs in there for godsakes.

#89 Edited by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

@Delta_Ass said:

I would be very surprised if much changes on any of the controllers (Nintendo seems to be the only company allowed to do that - and they definitely take queues from the other two).

My bet would be adding support for better noise cancelling microphones to be plugged into the controllers (probably with a dedicated micro-USB port). And dedicated push to talk button if they are feeling super bold. The one size fits all style does seem odd though, its not like the volume on those things is not amazingly high even if it were split into 3 SKUs, but they would have probably bothered 6 years ago if that were under consideration. NFC might make it into the PS4 and xbox[xyz] controllers too, if that takes off on the Wii U.

#90 Posted by rpwll (77 posts) -

I say we bring back the GameCube controller's button arrangement, form factor and octagonal gate around the analog sticks. By far the most comfortable controller I've ever used, even if it does look like garbage.

#91 Posted by Jimbo (9814 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

I hope controllers go in the direction of the Razer Hydra; which would basically be a standard controller, split into two "nunchucks", with full freedom and motion support allowing for lightgun-style aiming. Finally dual-wielding will make sense when you can shoot two dudes at the same time.

I would be very interested to see some games designed from the ground up with (something like) the Razer Hydra in mind. The Move controllers actually had sticks on at some point in the design and I feel like they bottled it by taking them off the wand. A stick under each thumb opens up a ton of possibilities.

#92 Posted by ValiantGoat (376 posts) -

@Labman said:

I'll settle for nothing less than an updated version of the Power Glove!

I'm obligated to full endorse this opinion.

#93 Posted by Sousa89 (1 posts) -

There's nothing wrong with the current models of controllers. Xbox and PS are perfectly fine, maybe have different sizes for bigger or smaller hands. I never understood why they never do that, it makes perfect sense. Maybe update the controller but please no motion controls, theres nothing wrong with what we have already . I don't see it getting any better its fine the way it is

#94 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Remember how we were all fine with the Snes/PS1 controllers before analog sticks came around? There's always room for improvement.