Avatar image for whitebrightknight
WhiteBrightKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WhiteBrightKnight

This is something I've been thinking about for a long time, will there be a next generation of consoles?  Right now, each console has it's own niche.  PS3 has some japanese-ass games like Katamari and Demon's Souls plus great first-party games.  The 360 is home to shooters like Gears of War and Halo, and the Wii is family-friendly but not without some good hardcore games (if you don't believe me, go play Madworld and No More Heroes), and the PC has a huge community and has great strategy games and steam.  Graphics are better than ever.  And with games already having release dates in 2012, what is going to change?  I think Kinect will fail miserably, and Move will do better but still be forgotten due to the high price point and it's basically a wii-motion plus.  So, I pose the question: will there be another console generation? Besides 3-D and maybe an HD Wii (which nintendo will never do), there are no real improvements I can think of currently.  I think that there will, but only because Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo all need to make money.  What would you want in the next generation?
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

If there is one thing companies want more of, it's money. And if there is one way to make more money, it's to bring out a new console with new games that will not work on previous consoles. While due to to many factors the next generation isn't going to roll along as soon as we expected, it is going to happen sooner or later.

Plus, you just have to compare the graphics of the latest graphically intensive PC games (e.g. Crysis 2) to see how console graphics are beginning to lag behind compared to the latest technology, and a new generation of consoles would shrink that gap instantly.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By toowalrus

Of course there is going to be a next generation of consoles. There WILL be life after 2012, and presumably we'll still be playing video games... My current prediction is a launch at holiday 2015.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By jasta
@WhiteBrightKnight said:
" Graphics are better than ever. "
Consoles have already fallen behind with PC's and thats not going to improve unless new hardware is brought out.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5  Edited By Geno

1080p 60fps 4xAA 16x AF should be standard. Most consoles games currently are sub-720p and run at 30fps with little to no AA and AF. Not really the "HD" generation it was purported to be. 

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic

hey man i just got my ps3 3 months ago dont start talking about next gen GOT IT ? ;(

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By nukesniper

There will be a new set of consoles, when is the real question.

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BunkerBuster

Seeing as how both Sony and Microsoft are committed to the whole "ten-year cycle" we won't be seeing a new one anytime soon. I will probably be DRM'ed like crazy and have better social networking built in.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Geno said:
" 1080p 60fps 4xAA 16x AF should be standard. Most consoles games currently are sub-720p and run at 30fps with little to no AA and AF.  "
this. I love PC gaming.
Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bionicicide
@Geno said:

" 1080p 60fps 4xAA 16x AF should be standard. Most consoles games currently are sub-720p and run at 30fps with little to no AA and AF. Not really the "HD" generation it was purported to be.  "

High technical standards must really prevent you from enjoying quality games.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Geno
@Bionicicide said:

" @Geno said:

" 1080p 60fps 4xAA 16x AF should be standard. Most consoles games currently are sub-720p and run at 30fps with little to no AA and AF. Not really the "HD" generation it was purported to be.  "

High technical standards must really prevent you from enjoying quality games. "
I actually own over a hundred indie games so...not quite. Technical excellence rarely hurts, however.  

There's no reason for a great game like Super Mario Galaxy to look like this:  

No Caption Provided
When it could've looked like this: 

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#12  Edited By citizenkane

Of course there is going to be a new generation of consoles.  There is always a new generation of consoles because console hardware is stagnant while technology keeps advancing.  Eventually you always have to put out new console hardware to keep up with those advances unless you want to fall too far behind PC, which unlike consoles evolves with the technological advancement.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Diamond
@MattyFTM said:

If there is one thing companies want more of, it's money. And if there is one way to make more money, it's to bring out a new console with new games that will not work on previous consoles.

That's not how it works at all.  Developing new consoles costs billions in R&D.  Upgrading SDKs and training for the new higher specs of new consoles costs developers tons of money.  Initial sales are low because user bases are low.  The movement to a new console generation is a time of profits slowdown.  It may bring a jump in revenue, because users are buying more expensive things, however.

Really what inspires new console generations is when users start getting bored of the old consoles.  Right now, 360 and PS3 are growing at incredible rates.  The average consumer is just now getting enough money to get a 360 or PS3.  Higher console launch prices caused this.  Besides a very small and completely irrelevant sector of graphics whores, the gaming community is satisfied with current graphical standards.  By 2012 or 2013 people may have changed their minds.  Releasing a console too early is suicide for a company, it killed Sega.  Waiting too long while competitors create superior products (as in higher end consoles) also helped kill the old Atari.

I don't mean that in a nasty way btw, I just mean it's always driven by some kind of consumer demand.  It isn't just driven by companies deciding they want more money.  Too many people mistakenly think it's driven by PC gaming or technology or just business greed.  No, it's driven by the user.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iam3green

there's going to be a new generation sometime. i think that there is still juice in the current generation and it is why there are still games coming out in 2012. i'm sure that there are going to be longer console lifes than last couple of generations.

litrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By litrock

WAY bigger hard drives, much faster load times, get frame rates locked down (even if it's only locked down to 30 FPS). More color would be great, too. More of a game design thing, but ... just sayin'.  Also, if I'm going to have to manage patches and updates and whatnot, expose more of the options. Either make a console or make a PC without a mouse, but this half assed middle ground is getting old.

Also acceptable:  vector displays.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By Willy105

This generation will last longer than the ones from before, but there is no reason there won't be a next-gen.

Heck, the 3DS was already announced, so that will be the first next-gen console.

@Geno But that is implying that what it was before was in any way bad.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By citizenkane
@Geno said:
" @Bionicicide said:

" @Geno said:

I actually own over a hundred indie games so...not quite.
What does owning "over a hundred" indie games have to do with enjoying quality games?  Do you realize how much of a pretentious douchebag statement that sounds like?
onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By onarum

I am willing to bet that at the very least 1 of the big three will announce their next console at next years E3, Nintendo most likely, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Sony or M$ or BOTH did as well.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By jkz

The PC, in the past, has been what has driven the birth of new console generations. Unfortunately, developers have been less eager to take advantage of the unique advantages that PC gaming provides, because often it means devoting a majority of your time to optimising the game for that platform (if you really want to get the most out of a game), and that in turn leads to drops in revenue. 

Regardless of any setbacks, though, PC games are already pulling ahead of Console games (technically, that is), and that gap is only going to grow. Eventually, the console makers will see the ever growing gap and will put out a new console. Then the cycle will begin again. That's just how it works.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Nasar7
@CitizenKane said:
" @Geno said:
" @Bionicicide said:

" @Geno said:

What does owning "over a hundred" indie games have to do with enjoying quality games?  Do you realize how much of a pretentious douchebag statement that sounds like? "
I think what he means is that indie games usually don't have "high technical standards," something he is being accused of having simply for stating some facts.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By citizenkane
@Nasar7 said:
" @CitizenKane said:
" @Geno said:
" @Bionicicide said:

" @Geno said:

What does owning "over a hundred" indie games have to do with enjoying quality games?  Do you realize how much of a pretentious douchebag statement that sounds like? "
I think what he means is that indie games usually don't have "high technical standards," something he is being accused of having simply for stating some facts. "
I still have to keep an eye on him.  If there's one thing I don't want in my Giant Bomb community, it's pretentious video gamers.  Good thing I have top men on the case.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BraveToaster
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Geno
@CitizenKane said:

" @Nasar7 said:

" @CitizenKane said:
" @Geno said:
" @Bionicicide said:

" @Geno said:

I think what he means is that indie games usually don't have "high technical standards," something he is being accused of having simply for stating some facts. "
I still have to keep an eye on him.  If there's one thing I don't want in my Giant Bomb community, it's pretentious video gamers.  Good thing I have top men on the case. "

Indie games are not known for their technical merits. I still buy many of them because they typically offer cool new ideas not found in the mainstream, thus excusing them somewhat of their technical deficiencies. Gameplay comes first. But to ignore graphics and be called out for "not being able to enjoy quality titles" is foolish at best. I don't see how stating facts and defending myself from an unfair statement makes me a "pretentious douchebag", I would expect a moderator to have better reasoning skills.