Next NVida GT300 = 3TFlops

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Who gives a crap?  Graphical evolutions will wait for the consoles to catch up, unfortunately.  Won't see a game that looks hugely different until 2012. 
It's just how it is. Yea, cry crysis all you want, but it's really not too different from the other stuff.  Look at doom 3 on the pc and compare it to say halo1.  They don't have a huge difference looking back on it.

Edit:  Anyway, to add on, the reason why there's no reason to get excited is because simply, games won't take advantage of it.  PC exclusive games, in general, look like shit *looks at blizzard*.  There's usually one stand out title that just looks amazing, but it's never really that great of a game and more of a tech pusher (see fear 1 or farcry...or crysis).  Well, you'll also get next gen slightly early (look at CSS, Fear 1, and Half Life 2).  The best looking games are on consoles (see Gears 2, Uncharted, Killzone 2etc.) Yea, you'll get it slightly betterlooking multiplats on the pc, but not enough to care.

Il_Zio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Il_Zio

Its strange times when the best looking PC game is over a year old and will run pretty well on mid range graphics card, unless you do a lot of folding then this seems like overkill.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks

It's insanely awesome, but that level of power is going to go to waste unless you run applications that will take advantage of it. On the games front, I think PC gamers have a long wait (restricted by console development), but when it does happen, when we do see games taking advantage of this immense power, the graphics of these game are going to look awesome, certainly CGI quality seen in films a couple of years back.

Previous to this, only companies like Industrial Light & Magic had works stations with this kind of power.

I'm going to wait, as I always do.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By subject2change

Not all games are ported over to consoles and for the hardcore PC gamer who runs SLI, Tri-SLI, Quad-SLI the latest and greatest is something to brag about. And what PC are you comparing it to? Your PC? Or the PC that someone spent 4 grand on building. Consoles are great because you don't need to upgrade anything in it besides maybe a hard drive now a days but PC gaming is more of a passion for building, upgrading, tweaking as well as playing.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks

Hopefully Crytek will lead the way in creating a game engine capable of maximizing on this power, but given the current financial climate and the sales of Crysis and Warhead, I don't hold much hope on anything happening anytime soon.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Subject2Change said:
"Not all games are ported over to consoles and for the hardcore PC gamer who runs SLI, Tri-SLI, Quad-SLI the latest and greatest is something to brag about. And what PC are you comparing it to? Your PC? Or the PC that someone spent 4 grand on building. Consoles are great because you don't need to upgrade anything in it besides maybe a hard drive now a days but PC gaming is more of a passion for building, upgrading, tweaking as well as playing."
Can you reference one that has good graphics beyond a console other than a crysis game?
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pause422
SmugDarkLoser said:
"Subject2Change said:
"Not all games are ported over to consoles and for the hardcore PC gamer who runs SLI, Tri-SLI, Quad-SLI the latest and greatest is something to brag about. And what PC are you comparing it to? Your PC? Or the PC that someone spent 4 grand on building. Consoles are great because you don't need to upgrade anything in it besides maybe a hard drive now a days but PC gaming is more of a passion for building, upgrading, tweaking as well as playing."
Can you reference one that has good graphics beyond a console other than a crysis game?"
It depends on what you would be referring to exactly as "far better graphics", usually its less of "way better graphics than console" and more of "it just looks far better on a high end machine." I can sure as hell tell the difference on pretty much any game...Fallout 3 is one that comes to mind though that does look superior on the PC by far greater than the consoles. Definitely not all games do, especially ones that have consoles as their lead dev and just port to PC with barely any adjustments available.But, I know right off the bat when looking at any game that supports a higher texture filter and good Anti-aliasing, just those 2 things without any other graphical improvements,  comparing it to how the exact same game looks on a console to on that PC thats running it with all that shit is like night and day...there is a huge huge huge difference.

It makes me feel like I'm watching a game with a ton of jaggy lines on a console at 800/600 res that just looks ugly...sometimes I feel the difference feels like I'm looking at a PS2 game next to a high end PC with a flawless looking image.

Now as far as you saying these new chips with crazy speeds or whatever aren't gonna get any use, thats definitely correct...I'm sure once more it will be a 600-700$ thing at launch and pointless to get it really because it will be a few years at least until there is something that needs that kind of shit running. Almost any moderately priced PC can be built at this time and run everything smoothly fine on high settings, even Crysis...so yeah, its not exactly needed, but thats technology for ya, its just gonna keep getting better even without it being necessary at the moment.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
pause422 said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"Subject2Change said:
Can you reference one that has good graphics beyond a console other than a crysis game?"
It depends on what you would be referring to exactly as "far better graphics", usually its less of "way better graphics than console" and more of "it just looks far better on a high end machine." I can sure as hell tell the difference on pretty much any game...Fallout 3 is one that comes to mind though that does look superior on the PC by far greater than the consoles. Definitely not all games do, especially ones that have consoles as their lead dev and just port to PC with barely any adjustments available.But, I know right off the bat when looking at any game that supports a higher texture filter and good Anti-aliasing, just those 2 things without any other graphical improvements,  comparing it to how the exact same game looks on a console to on that PC thats running it with all that shit is like night and day...there is a huge huge huge difference. It makes me feel like I'm watching a game with a ton of jaggy lines on a console at 800/600 res that just looks ugly...sometimes I feel the difference feels like I'm looking at a PS2 game next to a high end PC with a flawless looking image.Now as far as you saying these new chips with crazy speeds or whatever aren't gonna get any use, thats definitely correct...I'm sure once more it will be a 600-700$ thing at launch and pointless to get it really because it will be a few years at least until there is something that needs that kind of shit running. Almost any moderately priced PC can be built at this time and run everything smoothly fine on high settings, even Crysis...so yeah, its not exactly needed, but thats technology for ya, its just gonna keep getting better even without it being necessary at the moment."
You completely dodged the question (granted it wasn't necessarily directed at you).
What pc game looks so much beetter that's not crysis?

Because the 1st party console games are all on consoles and after it.

You mention fallout 3 which I must say...seriously?  Yea, there's a difference, but it's sort of why I say who gives a crap?  I

Which is which!!!!???? (there are noticable differences, but we're sort of in a top down comparison)
But anyway, if you have the 360 version, just my opinion, but you might want to turn the contrast down a bit/adjust brightness,  looks kind of weird by default. Same goes with other games liek GTA.

Killzone 2 is the best looking game that's great.  Crysis is a glorified tech demo really (i'm slightly biased against it because i don't experience the great graphics and played the game thinking it would be a AAA game for gameplay alone).
I dunno, it's just not worth it imo.  Unless you like the thrill of building a pc, etc., it's pointless imo.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Diamond

Ugh this thread is off to a shitty start.

Anyways, I'm happy to see the first real graphical big step forward for PC graphics cards in quite a while, but developers won't be pushing PC graphics again until the next generation of consoles.  High end graphics cards continue to sell less quarter by quarter and they're a fraction of what they were a few years ago.

I hope for both console gamers and PC gamers that the next generation of consoles push graphics forward again and don't take the Wii-route.  Otherwise cards like this series will be nearly useless.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By tmthomsen

Keep in mind PC games usually runs in a higher resolution with more AA. Also, unstable framerates are becoming more of an issue on the consoles and that can totally be avoided on the PC.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Diamond
TMThomsen said:
"Keep in mind PC games usually runs in a higher resolution with more AA. Also, unstable framerates are becoming more of an issue on the consoles and that can totally be avoided on the PC."
Most 360 and PS3 ports can already run on a high end PC at a higher resolution, better image quality and better framerate though.  The power needed to increase resolution, image quality and framerate is a fraction of what power it takes to dramatically increase overall special effects.  Many gamers seem to misunderstand this these days.

The point of a higher end videocard should be to increase overall visual fidelity, not just image quality.

I disagree that unstable framerates on consoles are a growing problem.  If anything that particular problem actually seems to be going away as fidelity increases.  There are more steady 30Hz and 60Hz games coming out on consoles now than there were 2 or 3 years ago, and the quality of graphics is improving quite a bit.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Geno

Nice, perhaps we will finally be able to see Crysis run at highest settings at 2560x1600 at 60+ fps.

Looks to be a good year for PC gamers as the mainsteam i7 will be released sometime this year as well. Anyone getting a PC will be set for at least the next 3-4 years.