#1 Posted by fuzzypumpkin (383 posts) -

Is anyone else as excited as me about this game? I don't know exactly why. Maybe it's the fantastic art direction that's got me so hyped and it seems like it might have a potentially good story as well. Or maybe it's just because I wanna play a good ol' RPG. How are you guys eeling about his one? Think it'll be any good or am I just fucking INSANE?!

#2 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

I'm eeling pretty good about it.

#3 Posted by fuzzypumpkin (383 posts) -

haha, yes.

#4 Posted by ManU_Fan10ne (662 posts) -

Yes! I cannot wait!

#5 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4974 posts) -
@Phatmac said:

I'm eeling pretty good about it.

I know that eel.
#6 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6229 posts) -

I don't know. I loved Level-5's Playstation 2 games, but I feel like they've really not quite grasped how to deal with the Playstation 3. White Knight Chronicles was a boring, technically messy game that felt like it was trying too hard to be an MMO. If Wrath of the White Witch is a return to form, then great. If it's not, then I guess I won't be too disappointed.

Now where the hell's my HD versions of Dark Cloud and Rogue Galaxy, hmmmm?

Moderator
#7 Posted by fuzzypumpkin (383 posts) -

Man, I miss Dark Cloud. Great games

#8 Posted by Questionable (619 posts) -

Still seeking a place that will cover the pre-order edition for Europe. Need that 300 page book in my life,

#9 Posted by NTM (7411 posts) -

@fuzzypumpkin: Yes, I don't play a lot of RPG's, my brother does, but both him and I really enjoy the Studio Ghibli films, and just an hour ago I got done watching Castle in the Sky for the first time. I don't think it was one of the better films, but it was still good, as most of them are. I love Ponyo. I love the look of this game and I'm just excited that Studio Ghibli is putting out a game, it makes 100 percent sense. I'm reading about it now, and I didn't know they put out a game on PS2, it's called Magic Pengel.

So far, I haven't seen most of the Ghibli films, I've only seen Spirited Away, Ponyo, Howl's Moving Castle, and Castle in the Sky. I want to see the new film that just came out a while back, The Secret World of Arrietty, and then there are still more. I'm not a huge fan of the Japanese anime or manga, but there's something in those films that I find could be appealing to anyone. I like Ponyo (the character) a lot because her energetic and joyful charisma is cute, and it reminds me of my small cousin. What attracts me most is the characters, and the worlds crafted within the limits of the art.

#10 Posted by Mcfart (1627 posts) -

It's not coming out until 2013! Stop reminding me about this game D: D: D:

#11 Posted by Fitzgerald (275 posts) -

How come this game isn't in the "coming up" on the front page? According to Gametrailers, it comes out on January 22nd. Same week as DmC PC...

#12 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

@Fitzgerald: It's gotten almost no exposure, I'm super excited for the game and only heard about it yesterday.

#13 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

I was really excited for this game, but that was when I was still under the impression that the combat was going to be turn based. Once I found out it was an action RPG I lost interest in getting it brand new. I just find action RPGs to be extremely boring and repetitive button mashers when it comes to combat. So I think I will be waiting for this game to go on sale. I just hope it's not one of those games like Dragons Dogma that NEVER goes down in price even after it being out forever.

#14 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

@crusader8463: I wouldn't say it was an action RPG, you should check out a video of the combat.

#15 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

@Benny: All the videos I have found showed your guys running around with direct control and you hitting buttons to attack/defend/use magic. I would love to be wrong, but that's all I have seen so far. I only like turn based RPGs as I find action ones just get extremely button mashy and repetitive. I had to give up on Tales of Vesperia because of the combat.

#16 Edited by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

@Benny: Found this video of it, and ya it's an action combat system. It looks rather simple so it may not bother me as much, but I still just don't like that type of combat that requires you to mash an attack button or remember button combos.

#17 Posted by gla55jAw (2689 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

@Benny: Found this video of it, and ya it's an action combat system. It looks rather simple so it may not bother me as much, but I still just don't like that type of combat that requires you to mash an attack button.

It's pretty much Pokemon that has the direct control of a Tales game.

#18 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

@gla55jAw said:

@crusader8463 said:

@Benny: Found this video of it, and ya it's an action combat system. It looks rather simple so it may not bother me as much, but I still just don't like that type of combat that requires you to mash an attack button.

It's pretty much Pokemon that has the direct control of a Tales game.

I liked it when it was just the first part of that, but as I said above, I hated the Tales games because of the direct control combat. It looks simple enough in this game that it may not bother me as badly as it did in the tales games, but I just don't like that style of combat. I prefer games that are about coming up with a strategy to win and not mashing buttons faster then the AI.

#19 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

@crusader8463: I played the demo and there's no button mashing at all. You select 'Attack' and for a few seconds your character does its attack animations. You don't directly control when your character swings and stuff like a dark souls or something. Reminds me more of FFXII.

#20 Posted by gla55jAw (2689 posts) -

@Benny said:

@crusader8463: I played the demo and there's no button mashing at all. You select 'Attack' and for a few seconds your character does its attack animations. You don't directly control when your character swings and stuff like a dark souls or something. Reminds me more of FFXII.

That seems more interesting to me then. I don't mind the Tales style combat, but like crusader said, when it's simple button mashing, I lose interest in it. I'm pumped to play it either way though. Can't wait.

#21 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

@gla55jAw said:

@Benny said:

@crusader8463: I played the demo and there's no button mashing at all. You select 'Attack' and for a few seconds your character does its attack animations. You don't directly control when your character swings and stuff like a dark souls or something. Reminds me more of FFXII.

That seems more interesting to me then. I don't mind the Tales style combat, but like crusader said, when it's simple button mashing, I lose interest in it. I'm pumped to play it either way though. Can't wait.

If it's more like that then I will certainly be willing to give it a go. Will see about getting my hands on the demo and try that. Forgot it had a demo.

#22 Posted by Fitzgerald (275 posts) -

The front page still not showing the game. Will there be a Quicklook?

#23 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5595 posts) -

I watched some of the develepor videos and it got me pretty psyched.I preordered it yesterday.

#24 Posted by hermes (1496 posts) -

I really would like to like this game, but the demo made me worry of it; simply put, it was not well put together.

They don't explain much of the combat and throw you straight into a boss fight, so I died a lot before I could even start to be decent at it (and even then, I died more than I should at that point).

#25 Posted by alternate (2711 posts) -

Jeff posted a photo of his copy on tumbler. said he might play this weekend. Brad has shown interest. Should get at least a QL.

#26 Posted by Fitzgerald (275 posts) -

ffffffFINALLY got a spot on the front page. :)

#27 Posted by project343 (2828 posts) -

@hermes said:

I really would like to like this game, but the demo made me worry of it; simply put, it was not well put together.

They don't explain much of the combat and throw you straight into a boss fight, so I died a lot before I could even start to be decent at it (and even then, I died more than I should at that point).

The concern about a lack of tutorialization seems like a really poor complaint to extend from a demo to a final release. It's a JRPG. You know that it'll slowly layer on the mechanics over 5 hours of play.

#28 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

@fuzzypumpkin said:

Is anyone else as excited as me about this game? I don't know exactly why. Maybe it's the fantastic art direction that's got me so hyped and it seems like it might have a potentially good story as well. Or maybe it's just because I wanna play a good ol' RPG. How are you guys eeling about his one? Think it'll be any good or am I just fucking INSANE?!

I think it looks pretty, but I think the combat looks way to slow.

Ever since Final Fantasy 7, actually, all JRPG combat has been way too slow. I don't need to have the camera sweep across the badguys and then have my guys run on the screen and do a little dance, and then have a bunch of other time wasting animations happen. All of this could be happening at the same time. It's totally innocuous ONCE, and actually looks pretty great. But when you multiply that, plus load times, across the however many hundreds or thousands of battles you fight in a JRPG and you wind up with what feels like hours of your life wasted.

#29 Posted by hermes (1496 posts) -

@project343 said:

@hermes said:

I really would like to like this game, but the demo made me worry of it; simply put, it was not well put together.

They don't explain much of the combat and throw you straight into a boss fight, so I died a lot before I could even start to be decent at it (and even then, I died more than I should at that point).

The concern about a lack of tutorialization seems like a really poor complaint to extend from a demo to a final release. It's a JRPG. You know that it'll slowly layer on the mechanics over 5 hours of play.

The way the demo was put, I have no way of knowing if the game was not telling me something important, which could be covered in a tutorial; or the balance was all over the place and the difficulty spike was just that big. One is not a big deal (if a little unfortunate), the other one is a source for frustration, considering I played the demo several times and wasn't able to beat any of the bosses (and the first boss seems pretty early on).

#30 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

I ordered it from Amazon after the demo. The instant I hit the world map, and I saw the illustrated in-game map, I was in. In a way I haven't been in a long time. First full price/day 1 game I've bought in over a year. This generation has been seriously lacking in that brand of charming adventure.

I've gone back to the demo about 3 times, just to make sure I really wanted to have the time for this game, and every time I played it I came away liking it more. It's pretty safe to say I can't wait.

#31 Posted by project343 (2828 posts) -

@hermes said:

The way the demo was put, I have no way of knowing if the game was not telling me something important, which could be covered in a tutorial; or the balance was all over the place and the difficulty spike was just that big. One is not a big deal (if a little unfortunate), the other one is a source for frustration, considering I played the demo several times and wasn't able to beat any of the bosses (and the first boss seems pretty early on).

Personally, I've always found that Japanese demos tend to, well, suck. They tend to just be small vertical slices from some more exciting portions of the game without a sense of narrative context or the nuanced tutorialization process (because, you know, it's literally just cut from the game and handed to players). I mean, there is a bit of tutorializing going on there, but you aren't given the time to slowly use that knowledge and 'digest' it. Dude literally spills out a wealth of info then says: GO! Personally, I had zero trouble with the demo, but I can completely see why someone might be overwhelmed with the lava portion. There are so many characters, mechanics, and systems that are thrown into your lap in an instant.

You can always just watch a dude successfully kill a boss and figure out what mechanics you might not have fully understood.

I'm going to make the assumption that you jumped into the fight and went right for the standard melee attacking thing. For me, I tend to play casters in games and I saw that I was playing a little boy with a wand. Immediately I knew that I was going to have a bad time if I went right for him... I mean, he's clearly much stronger than you.

The second portion was significantly more difficult. I spent a fair bit of time fighting mobs along the way and digested the basics, but a lot of it was thinking of the fly. I managed to kill the second boss on my first playthrough, but I barely scratched by (mostly due to a handful of poor positioning and decision-making mistakes).

I want to say that the consensus is that the game might actually be a bit too easy. So, I guess you're in luck for the final release?

#32 Posted by SomberOwl (677 posts) -

Yeah I'm really excited for this game as well! I ordered the Wizard's Edition of it off their website I really hope it arrives tomorrow!

#33 Posted by squidraid (129 posts) -

@OllyOxenFree said:

@Phatmac said:

I'm eeling pretty good about it.

I know that eel.

I KNOW THIS EEL...

#34 Posted by Marcsman (3209 posts) -

I'm looking forward to it.

#35 Edited by hermes (1496 posts) -

@project343 said:

@hermes said:

The way the demo was put, I have no way of knowing if the game was not telling me something important, which could be covered in a tutorial; or the balance was all over the place and the difficulty spike was just that big. One is not a big deal (if a little unfortunate), the other one is a source for frustration, considering I played the demo several times and wasn't able to beat any of the bosses (and the first boss seems pretty early on).

Personally, I've always found that Japanese demos tend to, well, suck. They tend to just be small vertical slices from some more exciting portions of the game without a sense of narrative context or the nuanced tutorialization process (because, you know, it's literally just cut from the game and handed to players). I mean, there is a bit of tutorializing going on there, but you aren't given the time to slowly use that knowledge and 'digest' it. Dude literally spills out a wealth of info then says: GO! Personally, I had zero trouble with the demo, but I can completely see why someone might be overwhelmed with the lava portion. There are so many characters, mechanics, and systems that are thrown into your lap in an instant.

You can always just watch a dude successfully kill a boss and figure out what mechanics you might not have fully understood.

I'm going to make the assumption that you jumped into the fight and went right for the standard melee attacking thing. For me, I tend to play casters in games and I saw that I was playing a little boy with a wand. Immediately I knew that I was going to have a bad time if I went right for him... I mean, he's clearly much stronger than you.

The second portion was significantly more difficult. I spent a fair bit of time fighting mobs along the way and digested the basics, but a lot of it was thinking of the fly. I managed to kill the second boss on my first playthrough, but I barely scratched by (mostly due to a handful of poor positioning and decision-making mistakes).

I want to say that the consensus is that the game might actually be a bit too easy. So, I guess you're in luck for the final release?

It might be true. I didn't know you could revert to Oliver and that his magic was far more effective than the familiar's sword. I just used the little soldier and circle around the boss trying to make enough damage with the sword, which was not working. I don't remember seeing a prompt in the demo that said you could summon them back and use the main character instead...

In any case, most reviews I read point out its not an easy game. I don't have a problem with difficult games per se, but the demo was just frustrating. I fear I will just wait a while to see if someone addresses that point about the game, since the demo killed most of the hype I had for it. I have a mixed experience with the developer (was a fan of DQ8, but not so much of Rogue Galaxy and White Knight Chronicles) and games are expensive where I live; So to buy it at full price after that demo would be a leap of faith.

#36 Posted by Ducksworth (662 posts) -

@SomberOwl said:

Yeah I'm really excited for this game as well! I ordered the Wizard's Edition of it off their website I really hope it arrives tomorrow!

From what I've heard about Digital River, I wouldn't expect it.

#37 Posted by BirthWild (259 posts) -

I feel really good about this, but I didn't get the wizard version, so I bought the japanese import of the hardcover book that comes with it, they released them as separate things there. I won't be able to read it but it'll look heck-a-doodle-cool.

#38 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1263 posts) -

@hermes: At the beginning of every fight it shows your monster and oliver's head in different word like bubbles. If you scroll over with the left directional you can choose oliver instead or you can just hit L1 during the fight and switch over to the available characters. That's more useful during the second demo.

#39 Posted by Nodima (1226 posts) -

I am totally ambivalent to it. The first half of the demo I personally responded to with "this is pretty cool", although I expected a very different game for some reason. I hadn't seen anything about it other than headlines, so I expected a Telltale type game animated by Studio Ghibli. That was a bummer at first, but why wouldn't it be...I've never seen a Ghibli movie, but I've known for years what their reputation is. At first I was a little confused by the combat system, but once I settled into it most battles weren't that tough. Where I got stuck with it was the second demo, which was interesting if simple until I got to the boss. THAT BOSS PISSED ME OFF. Your characters feel really under powered for what that fight is, especially when I NEVER could figure out how to target the tail specifically. And since you arrive at that fight with basically no items (at least, I did after needing some magic and health items from random encounters) once you use all your wintery abilities with familiars you're pretty screwed.

Overall, it reminded me of watching the Persona 4 endurance run with any random JRPG, except you could run around and apparently avoid damage as you did so? I didn't know what to take away from that since without any items it was basically a long but hopeless fight, though it did seem interesting what adding other characters to your party could do to the game.

As to the guy that lamented slow RPGs, for all their other faults FFXII (which is good all the way around, just not as great as it was supposed to be) and FFXIII (which I only played a demo of because the world didn't interest me) are pretty fantastic battle systems. I didn't even use the Gambit system other than a few defensive settings and it was swift. Hell, FFX was a pretty streamlined battle if you had a basic system to your fights.

#40 Posted by Chaoskiller2000 (306 posts) -

I absolutely CANNOT wait!!!!!

#41 Posted by Zeik (2494 posts) -

You actually had some pretty overpowered Familiars in the second demo. That ice guy will do a ton of damage to the boss.