#1  Edited By FluxWaveZ
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I've been thinking of getting a Nintendo DS Lite again (I sold the one I had months ago) but now I'm wondering if I should get a PS2 instead.  I'm interested in getting the DS Lite for games like Rythm Heaven and to play The World Ends With You once more plus it being portable so I could play in the bus.  But the PS2 seems to have an impressive library (I wasn't much of a gamer in that generation and I've never owned a Sony console) and I'd enjoy playing RPGs like Kingdom Hearts, Persona 3 and 4, and other exclusives that I never got to play (had a GameCube).  Which one would you get in this situation?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#3  Edited By Icemael

You should definitely get the PS2.

sloppyjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By sloppyjoe

Both.  But I've definitely spent more time on PS2 so I vote that.  Definitely play P3 and P4 (in that order, since it's probably hard to go back after improvements) is you get PS2 and are interested in them.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By subject2change

PS2 First. You'll get more out of it.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Go for the PS2. Anyone even remotely into games should have a PS2. It's a fantastic console. So many fantastic games. Most of which you can get very cheaply now.

Aitee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Aitee

Heh, the choice seems so clear to me! Get a PS2! The PS2 is my favourite console out there at the moment in terms of games, and if you want to play any good JRPGs, the PS2 is definitely the place to find them. Owning a PS2 is essential for anyone that likes video games. PERIOD.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Well, I'm convinced.  Thanks!

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#9  Edited By TobyD81

Unless you need a portable, get a PS2. They both have great libraries, but the PS2's is exceptionally good.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#10  Edited By AgentJ

Sounds like you already have a few tv consoles, so maybe a handheld would be a good change of pace. Besides, the RPG lineup on the DS may be just as good, if not better than the PS2

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Goly

if you haven't played chrono cross, get a ds.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By JJOR64

A handheld versus a console?  That's not fair.  If it was DS vs PSP then I would got with DS.

EDIT:  I didn't even notice the first post.  lol   Go with the PS2, you will have more fun with it.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FluxWaveZ
AgentJ said:
"Sounds like you already have a few tv consoles, so maybe a handheld would be a good change of pace. Besides, the RPG lineup on the DS may be just as good, if not better than the PS2"
I actually only have an Xbox 360.  I had a PSP, Nintendo DS and DS Lite as handhelds for this gen (ended up selling all of them) so I know how it is.  I guess I was only playing on the consoles (had a Wii + Xbox) instead of my DS...  I put this poll up because seeing the new games on the DS kinda makes me wonder.

And Goly, don't you mean Chrono Trigger?  I thought Chrono Cross was the PS1 spiritual sequel.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AgentJ
FluxWaveZ said:
"AgentJ said:
"Sounds like you already have a few tv consoles, so maybe a handheld would be a good change of pace. Besides, the RPG lineup on the DS may be just as good, if not better than the PS2"
I actually only have an Xbox 360.  I had a PSP, Nintendo DS and DS Lite as handhelds for this gen (ended up selling all of them) so I know how it is.  I guess I was only playing on the consoles (had a Wii + Xbox) instead of my DS...  I put this poll up because seeing the new games on the DS kinda makes me wonder.And Goly, don't you mean Chrono Trigger?  I thought Chrono Cross was the PS1 spiritual sequel."
I understand, and if those "new games on the DS" are something you are interested in (hint: Infinite Space and Sands of Destruction are going to be fantastic) I'd recommend picking one up. That said, if you see a rare game you want for the PS2, buy it now, because they may not be available when you get around to buying a PS2
Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What do you want to play ?

Would you play a handheld often ?

It's not a fair comparison, but I'd have to say PS2 has a better selection of games.
Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Goly
FluxWaveZ said:
"AgentJ said:
I actually only have an Xbox 360.  I had a PSP, Nintendo DS and DS Lite as handhelds for this gen (ended up selling all of them) so I know how it is.  I guess I was only playing on the consoles (had a Wii + Xbox) instead of my DS...  I put this poll up because seeing the new games on the DS kinda makes me wonder.And Goly, don't you mean Chrono Trigger?  I thought Chrono Cross was the PS1 spiritual sequel."
oops yeah i always mix up those two. fuck i must be tired or something.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FluxWaveZ
addictedtopinescent said:
"What do you want to play ?

It's not a fair comparison, but I'd have to say PS2 has a better selection of games.
"
Why is it not fair?  If there's something on the DS that I'd like I'd play it like any other game, I guess I'm just searching for which console you guys think has the better library.

Oh, and I forgot to tell you I played Chrono Trigger a while ago, Goly.  Never finished it though... :P

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FluxWaveZ said:
"addictedtopinescent said:

"
Why is it not fair?  If there's something on the DS that I'd like I'd play it like any other game, I guess I'm just searching for which console you guys think has the better library.Oh, and I forgot to tell you I played Chrono Trigger a while ago, Goly.  Never finished it though... :P"
Well then the Ps2 
Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Goly
FluxWaveZ said:
"addictedtopinescent said:

"
Why is it not fair?  If there's something on the DS that I'd like I'd play it like any other game, I guess I'm just searching for which console you guys think has the better library.Oh, and I forgot to tell you I played Chrono Trigger a while ago, Goly.  Never finished it though... :P"
hah! what are you waiting for then? ^^
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FluxWaveZ

For that I would either have to get a SNES or get a DS.  If only I had the cash... T_T  But I stopped playing it because of Golden Sun: The Lost Age, and I think I'll play that one again.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By Karmum

Two totally different choices. If you want more of a portable experience, you obviously want the DS. Vice-versa if you would rather have more of a at-home experience.

AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AniMoney

PS2 for sure, plus games are dirt cheap.

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Goly
FluxWaveZ said:
"For that I would either have to get a SNES or get a DS :P.  If only I had the cash... T_T"
well it's not like you're gonna buy chrono trigger beat it and then sell your ds again. you seem like the JRPG type so you've got plenty of good rpgs on the handheld. plus you could play them anywhere you want.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I guess that's what it comes down to for me: "Which one has the better/most JRPGs" (not that I would dismiss any other genre).  For the moment though, it seems to be the PS2 and I checked some stuff on the new Devil Summoner game that's gonna be released soon at it looks pretty good...  Also got the 360 which has some that I should get around to buying.

And Karmum, what would you choose?

Ultima_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ultima_5

I would get a DS because it is still a current system. The PS2 will continue to drop, so there is really no hurry.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AgentJ
FluxWaveZ said:
"I guess that's what it comes down to for me: "Which one has the better/most JRPGs" (not that I would dismiss any other genre).  For the moment though, it seems to be the PS2 and I checked some stuff on the new Devil Summoner game that's gonna be released soon at it looks pretty good...  Also got the 360 which has some that I should get around to buying.And Karmum, what would you choose?"
You are talking about Devil Survivor for the DS right?
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FluxWaveZ
AgentJ said:
"FluxWaveZ said:
"I guess that's what it comes down to for me: "Which one has the better/most JRPGs" (not that I would dismiss any other genre).  For the moment though, it seems to be the PS2 and I checked some stuff on the new Devil Summoner game that's gonna be released soon at it looks pretty good...  Also got the 360 which has some that I should get around to buying.And Karmum, what would you choose?"
"
No, I'm referring to Devil Summoner 2 for the PS2 that's going to be released in June.

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By mordecaix7

Playstation 2 hands down.  Especially if you want to boost the amount of games you can start your collection with.  Average PS2 game price is about under $30 now (with a few exceptions) and there's a lot of good games in the $15 and under bins.  I walked out of gamestop the other day with Way of The Samurai 2, Mark of Kri, Crimson Sea 2, and Freedom Fighters for $28!

That same $28 would have gotten me one DS game.  So if you don't have too much money, your gaming dollar can be stretched considerably with a PS2.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AgentJ
mordecaix7 said:
"Playstation 2 hands down.  Especially if you want to boost the amount of games you can start your collection with.  Average PS2 game price is about under $30 now (with a few exceptions) and there's a lot of good games in the $15 and under bins.  I walked out of gamestop the other day with Way of The Samurai 2, Mark of Kri, Crimson Sea 2, and Freedom Fighters for $28!That same $28 would have gotten me one DS game.  So if you don't have too much money, your gaming dollar can be stretched considerably with a PS2."
I think just about everything in this post could be said with the PS2 replaced with DS. Lets try it.
AgentJ said:
"DS hands down.  Especially if you want to boost the amount of games you can start your collection with.  Average DS game price is about under $30 now (with a few exceptions) and there's a lot of good games in the $15 and under bins.  I walked out of gamestop the other day with Super Mario 64 DS, Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword, Exit, and Dementium for $28!That same $28 would have gotten me one PS2 game.  So if you don't have too much money, your gaming dollar can be stretched considerably with a DS."
Yep, that sounds about right. 
FluxWaveZ said:
"AgentJ said:
"FluxWaveZ said:
"
No, I'm referring to Devil Summoner 2 for the PS2 that's going to be released in June. "
Well it seems you have a dilemma. Which SMT do you want the most?
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FluxWaveZ

The PS2 has more SMT games, though...  Even if I did prefer Devil Survivor to Devil Summoner (I prefer Devil Summoner).

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mordecaix7
AgentJ said:
"mordecaix7 said:
"Playstation 2 hands down.  Especially if you want to boost the amount of games you can start your collection with.  Average PS2 game price is about under $30 now (with a few exceptions) and there's a lot of good games in the $15 and under bins.  I walked out of gamestop the other day with Way of The Samurai 2, Mark of Kri, Crimson Sea 2, and Freedom Fighters for $28!That same $28 would have gotten me one DS game.  So if you don't have too much money, your gaming dollar can be stretched considerably with a PS2."
I think just about everything in this post could be said with the PS2 replaced with DS. Lets try it.
AgentJ said:
"DS hands down.  Especially if you want to boost the amount of games you can start your collection with.  Average DS game price is about under $30 now (with a few exceptions) and there's a lot of good games in the $15 and under bins.  I walked out of gamestop the other day with Super Mario 64 DS, Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword, Exit, and Dementium for $28!That same $28 would have gotten me one PS2 game.  So if you don't have too much money, your gaming dollar can be stretched considerably with a DS."
That's pretty hilarious.  :)  The only problem with that?

FluxWaveZ said:
I put this poll up because seeing the new games on the DS kinda makes me wonder
He wants newer DS games.  Which are pretty much $30 - $40 a pop.  OP mentioned that he never had a PS2 (in the first post) so he can start with a lot of the earlier games in the PS2 life cycle which are now very cheap.

Your PS2/DS switch theory is correct, but for OP it's not the best decision (money-wise) as he is planning to purchase the newer games.
BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By BigBoss1911

The ps2 has SO MANY more and better games than the ds's puzzle and kids games.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AgentJ
mordecaix7 said:
"AgentJ said:
"mordecaix7 said:
AgentJ said:
That's pretty hilarious.  :)  The only problem with that?

FluxWaveZ said:
I put this poll up because seeing the new games on the DS kinda makes me wonder
He wants newer DS games.  Which are pretty much $30 - $40 a pop.  OP mentioned that he never had a PS2 (in the first post) so he can start with a lot of the earlier games in the PS2 life cycle which are now very cheap.Your PS2/DS switch theory is correct, but for OP it's not the best decision (money-wise) as he is planning to purchase the newer games."
Fair enough, though I think the used library at most gamestops for the DS is as good as it gets.

BigBoss1911 said:
"The ps2 has SO MANY more and better games than the ds's puzzle and kids games."
I almost have to laugh at this its so ridiculous
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Endogene
BigBoss1911 said:
"The ps2 has SO MANY more and better games than the ds's puzzle and kids games."
I beg to differ the DS has a great library for all ages.

Anyway if you have never played any games on the PS2 it might be better to start with those, there is enough quality content to last you at least a year or two.
mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mordecaix7
Endogene said:
"BigBoss1911 said:
I beg to differ the DS has a great library for all ages. Anyway if you have never played any games on the PS2 it might be better to start with those, there is enough quality content to last you at least a year or two. "
Agreed.  And probably even longer after that as well.  :)
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AgentJ
mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mordecaix7
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Yeah, thanks for providing that!

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#39  Edited By oldschool

Whilst I love the RPG games on the PS2 (I was a late owner and have built a substantial collection), I still would choose a DS.  Thing is, it is a bit like choosing a Ferrari or a Lambourghini - either way, you will be happy. 

My suggestion - get a second hand PS2 which will be very cheap and still get a DS lite.  Only marginally more expensive and then start scouring the 2nd hand games market for cheap PS2 games.

I am sure no matter what, you will have fun :-)