• 66 results
#1 Posted by MormonWarrior (2544 posts) -
#2 Edited by Baillie (4040 posts) -

Nintendo didn't make Metal Gear Solid 3, what are you talking about?

Woah, wait a minute after actually visiting the link... Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 are the best games ever created? I'm going to snigger and walk away.

#3 Posted by FreakAche (2950 posts) -

With either of the Galaxy games you could make that argument, but Ocarina isn't even the best Zelda game, let alone greatest game ever.

#4 Posted by MormonWarrior (2544 posts) -

@FreakAche said:

Ocarina isn't even the best Zelda game

You lost me at "Ocarina isn't" unless you were going to say "Ocarina isn't NOT the best game ever"

#5 Edited by yoshisaur (2668 posts) -

Super Mario Galaxy is a fantastic game, but isn't "best game ever" as subjective and pointless to argue as "best comedian ever?" We have to draw the line somewhere when discussing this sort of thing. If we are simply going to use review averages for this sort of thing than the outcome is merely binary and misses the entire point to anything like this.

I still think the best game ever is Star Wars Galaxies. Not because of the mechanics, story, or anything else; but merely due to the experiences, friends, and overall role-playing situations the game let me create. I made some of my best friends in the game, had some of the coolest encounters, and found how to motivate myself into maturity simply by playing that game. I'm sure there will be very little that can relate to my story, which kind of forms that gap when discussing "best game ever."

Oh, and still to this day one of my favourite games to play is Kirby's Dream Course. That should be #1.

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (36098 posts) -

Let's see...

1. Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu. Yep, that's Nintendo.
  2. Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Still Nintendo.
  3. Conker's Bad Fur Day. So very, very close, but not Nintendo.

2/3 ain't bad, though.

#7 Edited by xyzygy (9899 posts) -

Galaxy 1 and 2 are definitely some of the best games ever. I don't agree with OoT though, I think there are better Zelda games. Also, Metroid Prime should be there.

I think Prime, Galaxy, and one of the Zelda's are the best games ever. (Either LttP, WW or SS - too hard to choose)

#8 Posted by DarthOrange (3852 posts) -

LittleBigPlanet 2, inFamous 2, and Super Mario World. Only one of those is a Nintendo joint.

#9 Posted by Vivek (517 posts) -

They didn't make Freedom Fighters so no win...

#10 Posted by ReverendHunt (320 posts) -

I haven't played more than 10 minutes of Galaxy and never even touched Galaxy 2, so I can't judge, there. I loathe Ocarina of Time something fierce, though. Ugh.

#11 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

I believe Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time should be in the top 3 (WHOO!) But I'm not too sure about the other two. Super Mario 64 I would say is better than Mario Galaxy. Or perhaps even Paper Mario.

#12 Posted by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -
@SexyToad

I believe Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time should be in the top 3 (WHOO!) But I'm not too sure about the other two. Super Mario 64 I would say is better than Mario Galaxy. Or perhaps even Paper Mario.

So is fuckin Mario Sunshine. HIGHLY. UNDERRATED.
#13 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (540 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Let's see...

2/3 ain't bad, though.

Forgiving for a sec that you're putting a Smash Bros. up there, but seriously, Brawl?

#14 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@SexyToad

THAT GAME SHOULD HAVE BEEN UP THERE!

#15 Posted by Bumpton (441 posts) -

2 OF THE BEST GAMES OF ALLLLL TIME ARE ON THE WII.

@Vivek said:

They didn't make Freedom Fighters so no win...

High five to you, sir. That game doesn't get enough credit.

#16 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

That's a terrible list.

#17 Posted by Timnoldzim (86 posts) -

Are they seriously using general critical consensus as a legitimate way of gauging whether or not something is "the best"? Oh IGN.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, yes they did. Galaxy, Ocarina, and Yoshi's Island.

So... I guess GameRankings is mostly right, in the end. In my mind.

#18 Posted by Video_Game_King (36098 posts) -

@Hippie_Genocide said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Let's see...

2/3 ain't bad, though.

Forgiving for a sec that you're putting a Smash Bros. up there, but seriously, Brawl?

A.) I haven't updated the list in a while.

B.) Brawl is frickin' awesome.

#19 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

Best is a wildly subjective term!

That being said, having a game and its direct sequel in your top 3 isn't covering many bases.

#20 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

@MormonWarrior said:

@FreakAche said:

You lost me at "Ocarina isn't" unless you were going to say "Ocarina isn't NOT the best game ever"

Totally agreed that Ocarina isn't the best Zelda game. I'm not saying it's complete garbage, but it fails at being Zelda in many, many ways and most of them were brought about by hardware limitations.

Zelda became popular in the first place by being a non-linear, hack and slash game that allowed the player to solve puzzles and mysteries while exploring an imaginary land.

OOT was almost devoid of hacking and slashing, instead forcing the player to spend the majority fo the time hiding behind their shield to block something back at an attacker or waiting for a badguy to expose their weakness so the player could capitalize on it. This was largely due to Miyamoto having little faith in making a 3D action game. I mean, he did a MAJOR thing where many others tried and failed, but it's a poor zelda game in that respect.

Similarly, the game is so linear it basically has levels. It's even more linear than Mario 64. In fact, Miyamoto was intending to make the whole game take place in a castle so he could recycle the paintings device from Mario 64,

A lot of the elements of the game that people were taking by, such as the horse, changing time of day, and a 3d environmen to move around in were fairly common in PC games of the day.

I just think that game gets a lot of credit it doesn't deserve.

A great game? One of the best N64 games? Absolutely. Best game of all time, or best Zelda game of all time? Not even on my list.

#21 Posted by benefitevil (49 posts) -

Best is too subjective a term to declare anything the "best". Everyone has their top 3 or 5 or 10 and depending on what console they grew up with its going to include Nintendo, Sega, Sony, and Microsoft games. Even the business of reviewing games is subjective. To paraphrase Popeye "I like what I like".

#22 Posted by WarlordPayne (694 posts) -

There's too much wrong with Ocarina of Time for it to be one of the three best games ever.

#23 Posted by ZenGaijin (122 posts) -

@WarlordPayne: I'll take Link to the Past over OoT everytime.

#24 Posted by CJduke (783 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@SexyToad

YES! Sunshine was way better than Galaxy.

#25 Posted by BillyTheKid (484 posts) -

I love Nintendo and some of my favorite games of all time are by them but to simply say they are the best is a bit of a stretch. I think that everyone has different experiences with it. In the same way some people will view the Mona Lisa and say "Oh a lady" where others will be deeply moved.

#26 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

I'll continue my war on Ocarina of Time. It's not just "not the best Zelda game." I'd argue it's easily one of the worst Zelda games. Just awful, awful dungeon and puzzle design, and a mostly-empty and character-less open world.

And I'd argue 64 and Sunshine are better than Galaxy and Galaxy 2, let alone SMB 1, 3, and World.

Did Nintendo make the three best games ever? Maybe, depending on your argument. But I'd have a real, real tough time accepting those three as your evidence.

#27 Posted by Video_Game_King (36098 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

I'll continue my war on Ocarina of Time. It's not just "not the best Zelda game." I'd argue it's easily one of the worst Zelda games. Just awful, awful dungeon and puzzle design, and a mostly-empty and character-less open world.

I shouldn't be surprised, yet somehow, I am. I'll just say that I'm of the opinion while it isn't the best Zelda game (Skyward Sword might get that, as it struck a right chord with me), it's still pretty good. Even if it is a racist-ass game. (I have to add that last part in to remind everybody how crazy I am.)

#28 Posted by WarlordPayne (694 posts) -

@ZenGaijin said:

Same here. Link to the Past is easily my favorite Zelda, while Ocarina is my least favorite.

#29 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

And I'd argue 64 and Sunshine are better than Galaxy and Galaxy 2, let alone SMB 1, 3, and World.

Did Nintendo make the three best games ever? Maybe, depending on your argument. But I'd have a real, real tough time accepting those three as your evidence.

@WarlordPayne said:

@ZenGaijin said:

Same here. Link to the Past is easily my favorite Zelda, while Ocarina is my least favorite.

I would like to hear why you duders think Ocarina is your least favorite. I heard people say that they enjoy Link to the Past more over Ocarina, but never Ocarina being the worst.

#30 Posted by BoG (5185 posts) -

Metroid Prime is the greatest game of all time. So, they've got one! It's shocking how Nintendo puts out so many remarkable games each generation.

#31 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

Honestly the best Zelda games don't have Zelda in them at all. That's when they get crazy bold, and try new things, and those are the Zelda games I like the best.

#32 Edited by Nightriff (4925 posts) -

Nintendo made Persona 4?! No? Let's move on then

And Galaxy games are good but not some of the best ever, IGN is the worst, ugh

#33 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

That is goddamn hilarious. And incredibly wrong.

#34 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Windwaker > OoT

#35 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2232 posts) -

So what dictates the 0.01% difference between Zelda and Mario Galaxy?

#36 Posted by Slay3r1583 (601 posts) -
  1. Super Mario Bros. 3
  2. Suikoden 2
  3. Quake 3 Arena

Well 1 out of 3 isn't bad.

#37 Posted by BeachThunder (11720 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

Honestly the best Zelda games don't have Zelda in them at all. That's when they get crazy bold, and try new things, and those are the Zelda games I like the best.

I really enjoyed Link's Awakening :D Also, good to see people coming to their senses about OoT :P

Also, a lot of Nintendo games seem to review higher, that doesn't necessarily mean those three are the best games ever.

#38 Posted by WarlordPayne (694 posts) -

@SexyToad: It's just too easy. I hate that you only ever really fight one enemy at a time since as soon as you lock on to anyone every other enemy just backs off. And even discounting that you at most fight 2 or 3 guys at once, there's just no challenge to the game at all. The water temple is god awful, too.

#39 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -
@MormonWarrior

@FreakAche said:

Windwaker and Link to the Past, yo!
#40 Posted by TobbRobb (4581 posts) -

People are crazy! Ocarina is an awesome game! I might agree that Windwaker or Majoras Mask are up there fighting for the top, but Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess aren't even worthy to be mentioned in the same sentence. Those two games are barring any point of making Ocarina out as the worst Zelda.

#41 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

@SexyToad: Honestly, it would take me about ten or fifteen pages to do a pretty general layout with any real specifics handled. Generally, again, it all comes down to poor dungeon design, a lackluster open world, less story and character than what would come afterward, and a game too easy to really ask you to ever really dig deep into it. I usually use the Great Deku Tree as my primary example, but my issues continue throughout most of the game; the Forest Temple, Fire Temple, and Shadow Temple are easily the weakest dungeons in the game. That's not to say it's completely without bright spots. For less-capable players, the early goings of the game can be pretty mythic in scope. There are good moments in the Forest and Water Temples. And the Spirit Temple is also just a good dungeon in its near-entirety, though Twinrova isn't what I'd call a great boss.

Any real hate I feel towards Ocarina is for its reputation more than its quality, though I'd argue it's the low-point as far as Zelda games I've played and ultimately a pretty bland game. For the record, I've played all of them but the DS games, the CD-i games, and Zelda II, which I only briefly tried. Skyward Sword would probably be my runner-up for weakest Zelda, though that's mostly because there's one awful environment moment that officially road-blocked my process roughly a year ago. It stopped my brother in his tracks, too, which was a huge bummer. I'm gonna look up a guide and move forward so I can really evaluate that game. After that, it'd probably be Twilight Princess or Oracle of Seasons, which are both games I really like for a lot of reasons.

For the record, my favorite is Majora's Mask. It was almost like Ocarina come to life; the difficulty was way higher, the world was filled with character, filled with things to do, and the dungeons were generally very inventive. Perhaps most important to Majora's Mask was that large parts of the game's side-content actually mattered, meaning it was actually worth it to explore and see all the cool shit there was to see. Also, it boasts at least three of the best boss fights the series ever had to offer. My second-favorite would be the original game.

#42 Posted by Dalai (7002 posts) -

Sure, but they accidentally put Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 where Super Metroid and Super Mario Bros. 3 should be.

#43 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (540 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hippie_Genocide said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Let's see...

2/3 ain't bad, though.

A.) I haven't updated the list in a while.

B.) Brawl is frickin' awesome.

But, but, but Melee is so much better.

#44 Posted by Video_Game_King (36098 posts) -

@Hippie_Genocide said:

But, but, but Melee is so much better.

Can you mod Melee?...Exactly.

#45 Posted by TwoLines (2789 posts) -

Yep. Best games ever. Video games are done, let's move on guys.

#46 Posted by jaycrockett (434 posts) -

"Best" is subjective, obviously. Sure does make me want Super Mario Galaxy 3 (or Super Mario Universe, whatever).

#47 Posted by Shaka999 (456 posts) -

Majora's Mask, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid Prime.

3 best Nintendo titles right there, with Prime barely edging out Super Metroid.

Come at me bros.

#48 Posted by h0lgr (908 posts) -

Nah.

#49 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

So Ocarina of Time is one of the most OVERRATED games of all time.

#50 Posted by believer258 (11682 posts) -

They made Super Metroid. They dished out Metroid Prime to Retro, so I don't know if that counts as Nintendo making it or just Nintendo publishing it.

However, when coming up with a top 3 list of games, I don't like to include two different games from the same series, and Nintendo games just don't come into the picture other than the absolute masterpiece that is Super Metroid. I'm sorry, I'm not a Nintendo guy, and while I can respect their oddities I can still think of several valid criticisms against them. For one, they try to advertise gimmicks as "innovation", when in reality those gimmicks don't actually change much about a game's base mechanics. Super Mario Galaxy uses a lot of the same base ideas as Super Mario 64 did, so it has evolved a fair bit but it hasn't fundamentally changed.