#1 Posted by Branthog (5562 posts) -

What the fuck, Nintendo, indeed.

Nintendo says that the bug, which renders players unable to advance, occurs if players obtain the Ice Beam and then backtrack after defeating the "two-legged spiked enemy" instead of opening the next door. The company says that proceeding forward after the battle should prevent the glitch from occuring.

Besides an apology and tips for avoiding the glitch, Nintendo is also offering to repair saved game data for those players who are stuck. However, the fix requires that you physically send your save data to the company in the mail. Players in Japan may copy the data to an SD card or send the entire Wii to the following address:

source: http://www.1up.com/news/game-breaking-metroid-bug-acknowledged-nintendo
#2 Posted by blazerx9x (648 posts) -

#3 Posted by Dalai (7028 posts) -

Yeah that's weird, but you do get a free subscription to the Nintendo Fun Club.

#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Wait, they couldn't just patch it online? It requires an update to play, so they could at least do that again. I didn't get the bug, but still...

#5 Posted by JJOR64 (18989 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" Wait, they couldn't just patch it online? It requires an update to play, so they could at least do that again. I didn't get the bug, but still... "
I think the bug is only in the Japanese version of the game.
#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@JJOR64: 

Really? Then why the distinction for Japanese players? Is that implying importers? Isn't Nintendo's policy regarding importers "fuck them and their knowledge of our language?"
#7 Posted by Branthog (5562 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:

" @Video_Game_King said:

" Wait, they couldn't just patch it online? It requires an update to play, so they could at least do that again. I didn't get the bug, but still... "
I think the bug is only in the Japanese version of the game. "
I think it affects all localizations. I didn't copy the entire article into my post (for obvious reasons), but I did omit this update that 1-Up made to it:

Update: Nintendo of America has posted a support page for North American users experiencing this problem. The page makes no mention of mailing in your Wii consoles, but does offer a phone number to arrange sending in an SD card "or other options." That number is 1-800-255-3700.

#8 Edited by MisterChief (832 posts) -

Keiji Inafune is right. Also the bug exists in all versions.

#9 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

They could make a website where you upload the save and it fixes it for you - internet is good for that.

#10 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

wow that is different. couldn't they just patch it by online. couldn't they make like an update on the internet to save or something. pretty weird thing for nintendo to do that.

#11 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

They are doing it wrong.

#12 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3483 posts) -

At least they're not ignoring the bug ;)

#13 Posted by Alex_Murphy (1184 posts) -
@mosdl said:
" They could make a website where you upload the save and it fixes it for you - internet is good for that. "
Yea, that seems like the best idea. Or even just an email address that you send the bugged save file.
#14 Posted by JeanLuc (3583 posts) -

This just further proves that Nintendo doesn't understand how to use the internet with their consoles. 

This really isn't a good solution since most people who have the bug have no idea that they need to get the patch by mail, and will just get pissed off and return the game.

#15 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

Considering how Gamefaqs lets you download save files, why doesn't Nintendo give you a patched save file?

#16 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

#17 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

Haven't played the game, but why not just start a new save?  That sounds way way way easier than bothering to mail stuff.

#18 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

It happens about 50-60% of the way through the game, that's why.   Also, you can't skip cutscenes until you beat it once. 

I'll echo what someone else said:  If it happens to you:  Just download a game save off of Gamefaqs that's at the first save point past the glitch.