Panzer_Pev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Panzer_Pev

There's even a shout out to Gerstmann!!

http://www.dailyseagull.com/nintendo-patents-technology-for-new-gaming-system-that-plays-itself/

Today, video game giant and industry leader Nintendo filed a patent for a new technology which is slated to debut in their next generation of consoles and hand-held devices.  Nintendo, still enjoying the amazing success of the the Wii that continues to sell at a pace far exceeding all “professional analyst” predictions is preparing for the future and a new breed of “gamers.”  According to the papers filed by Nintendo, the patent describes a device that takes all control functionality away from the player and puts it into the hands of an advanced AI program.  The following statements have been pulled directly out of the document filed by Nintendo:

Players will no longer be inconvenienced with such mundane tasks like pushing buttons or having to use a controller.  Once a game is loaded into the system the game will simply play itself.  All of the frustration and challenge that comes with using a motion sensing controller has been removed.

rexualhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By rexualhealing

I read about this on Kotaku.

I actually like this idea. It allows casual gamers (which should not be considered as dirty of a word as it is, the more people who are enjoying this hobby the better, in my opinion) to experience hardcore games and it means that more hardcore games will be available to hardcore gamers.

It's not really like the entire game will play itself though, supposedly at any time the player can hop in and just start playing from where the AI left off, which is really hella cool if you're like me and get frustrated easily while playing difficult games.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks

The title is incorrect, they have not created a gaming system that plays itself,  just software.

This is at least a month old now and has been discussed in detail on the forums already.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By jakob187

Um...JIM Gerstmann, not JEFF Gerstmann was mentioned.  lol  Just thought I'd throw that out there.  However, it's not exactly a common last name.  Relation, Jeff?

Also, I'm really not sure how I feel about something like this.  On one hand, it would help with those difficult parts in the game that you just...can't...get past.  However, it also means that challenge does not have to exist anymore for a game console to sell.  =  /
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By PureRok

So then it'll be like watching a movie? Don't movies already exist?

destro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By destro

So do you even get to play or just watch some computer play for you? I dont get it

rexualhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rexualhealing
destro said:
"So do you even get to play or just watch some computer play for you? I dont get it"
Both. You get to play, but, if some part is too difficult or you just don't want to play it you can get the computer to play it for you.
TGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TGB
destro said:
"So do you even get to play or just watch some computer play for you? I dont get it"
I think the main purpose for this would be to set up a system that has an interactive hint system. Its a little like if you were currently stuck on a puzzle in Zelda, you can go to youtube and watch a video of someone completing that particular puzzle so you can copy it an continue on with the game, but integrated into the game itself. I think its kind of an interesting way to make sure players don't get stuck/frustrated as long as its used discreetly.