Nitpick about IGN's review of LittleBigPlanet

MichaelScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By MichaelScott

I read IGN every once in a while. Mostly the PC/Wii/DS channels, but  I was looking at their review for LBP and couldn't help but noticehow freaking long it was. 6(!!!) pages long. What "casual" gamer is going to read that review in its entirety without just saying "bah. I don't want to read all of this about a game I might want to buy."

Just tell me what you THINK of the game IGN, we don't need a novel about how all the different nuances of the game work. This is something I appreciate about GiantBomb reviews; to the point and they tell me what I want to know. Its not because I'm lazy that I don't want to read your six page review, Chris Roper, its because what I want to know is "Do you like this game? If so, how much? And a little about why you like it or don't like it. Thank you." Not "How do I unlock special outfits for my character in this game, and how much of it is there?"

That is all. Other than the length of some of their reviews, I throughly enjoy a lot of IGN content. Peace! :D
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I agree. Most reviewers feel the need to go through every little device that happens in the game, while Giant Bomb just hits on the, "This works, this sucks, this is awesome, buy it, don't buy it," mentality. They write the review for the player, not themselves, which happens a lot.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By brukaoru

As long as it's not redundant information, I rather have a review be as long as possible. They are persuading people's purchases with a games that are typically $60. If I wasn't excited for the game already, and I wanted to get an opinion from a reviewer, I would want as much information as possible.

I don't think many casual gamers read reviews anyway...

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Pibo47

I hate to agree on the lenght. But the review itself was alright.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Dude, are you mental? Yes, you are lazy. If you don't want to read all six pages, skip to the last page and read their closing comments and summarized review break down. Besides, it may be 6 pages but IGN's pages aren't very long anyway.

MichaelScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MichaelScott

Yeah it was an alright review, the length just struck me as unneccesary. 

To brukaoru- 

I think most hardcore gamers would probably be settled on what games they want to buy or not. And hardly ever read reviews; much less actually listen to them. I think more casual gamers gain from press reviews because they're probably less educated about the game, and could use a review to help them out. But it just turns people off to see a six-page article about why you should buy X game. 
MichaelScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MichaelScott
TheGreatGuero said:
"Dude, are you mental? Yes, you are lazy. If you don't want to read all six pages, skip to the last page and read their closing comments and summarized review break down. Besides, it may be 6 pages but IGN's pages aren't very long anyway."
I think you misunderstood what I was getting at. I was trying to say that casual gamers pprobably don't want to read a six page article about why this person liked a game. I'm perfectly willing to read a six-page review, as long as its a good review. But I'm more of a "hardcore" gamer and I enjoy doing stuff like that. For the casual gamer audience LBP is likely to attract, why have such a long review? 

But you have a point. Most casual gamers probably just look at the score and say "ok this ones bad." While that's all fine and dandy, I think it kinda sucks that some people would just skip reading the review and just look at the score. (Due to the length of the article.)
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#8  Edited By LordAndrew

In general, I find IGN's video game reviews to be too damn long most of the time.
Reviewers should be able to write reviews that aren't excessively long, but at the same time aren't so short that they're useless. They need to find a proper balance.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead
MichaelScott said:
"I read IGN every once in a while. Mostly the PC/Wii/DS channels, but  I was looking at their review for LBP and couldn't help but noticehow freaking long it was. 6(!!!) pages long. What "casual" gamer is going to read that review in its entirety without just saying "bah. I don't want to read all of this about a game I might want to buy."
Just tell me what you THINK of the game IGN, we don't need a novel about how all the different nuances of the game work. This is something I appreciate about GiantBomb reviews; to the point and they tell me what I want to know. Its not because I'm lazy that I don't want to read your six page review, Chris Roper, its because what I want to know is "Do you like this game? If so, how much? And a little about why you like it or don't like it. Thank you." Not "How do I unlock special outfits for my character in this game, and how much of it is there?"

That is all. Other than the length of some of their reviews, I throughly enjoy a lot of IGN content. Peace! :D
"
Why is it always the assumption that casuals are stupid? First, Twilight thinks they'll be afraid of realistic graphics and now you're suggesting they'll see a long review and be dismayed. Sure, it's a needlessly long review, but it's hardly Lord of the Rings.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheGreatGuero
MichaelScott said:
"TheGreatGuero said:
"Dude, are you mental? Yes, you are lazy. If you don't want to read all six pages, skip to the last page and read their closing comments and summarized review break down. Besides, it may be 6 pages but IGN's pages aren't very long anyway."
I think you misunderstood what I was getting at. I was trying to say that casual gamers pprobably don't want to read a six page article about why this person liked a game. I'm perfectly willing to read a six-page review, as long as its a good review. But I'm more of a "hardcore" gamer and I enjoy doing stuff like that. For the casual gamer audience LBP is likely to attract, why have such a long review? 

But you have a point. Most casual gamers probably just look at the score and say "ok this ones bad." While that's all fine and dandy, I think it kinda sucks that some people would just skip reading the review and just look at the score. (Due to the length of the article.)"
Alright, alright. You're not lazy, my bad. But like brukaoru brought up, I don't think most casual gamers really look at reviews anyway. I would agree that it sucks most people just look at the score, because you really gotta know what's wrong with a game to understand why it deserves it's rating. However, I imagine the majority of people would just look at the review score even if the review was only one page long. Heck, they might be willing to read a paragraph or two, but I don't think you can really write a good review with that short of a length. I think casual gamers are more likely to just go after what they think looks good, even if it isn't and most of them don't know anyway since they don't play games much.

Also, dude, you know, maybe I'm wrong here, but to me LBP doesn't look so much like a game that will attract casual gamers. By all means, it's uhh... you know, clean enough for people of all ages and such (well, until people start getting inappropriate with the level creations), however to most people I doubt the game looks that appealing. Maybe the sort of game parents might want to buy for their kids because of the lack of violence and whatnot, but I think the majority of people buying LBP will be part of the hardcore crowd. People that know what this game's really about, know what it is beyond just the surface and are interested in the user creation aspects that the casual crowd probably wouldn't even pay much attention to. I could be wrong about that, but it seems to me like a game that casual gamers will mostly overlook. Anyway, sorry about the initial understanding.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheGreatGuero
LordAndrew said:
"In general, I find IGN's video game reviews to be too damn long most of the time.
Reviewers should be able to write reviews that aren't excessively long, but at the same time aren't so short that they're useless. They need to find a proper balance."
Jeez that is one short review. Dude, that's shorter than most user-submitted reviews I've seen. I can't believe Tim Tracy could be content with such a review.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187

I've got a nitpick also.

The score is too high.