Nervosity1108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Nervosity1108

Hi.

While I could write a lot about this subject, I've decided to keep it short and simple.

Does playing the roles of characters with dubious morals in video games, mostly role-playing games, say something about our own moral conduct? Most would answer with a definitive 'No', especially considering that this is a video gaming website, with probably not a few people tired of video games taking the blame for various tragedies that occur in real life. In most role-playing games, you have the freedom of making quite a few unethical decisions, where killing innocents becomes the norm.

I'll try to say this without sounding like a psychopath. Why is it that, regardless of how many innocents you are allowed to slaughter in a game, you can often never lay a hand on kids during the whole playthrough? It's not like I'm requesting that arbitrary action should be taken to design kids made out of pixels JUST so I can shoot them. But when developers design NPC's that are unimportant to the main plot or any side-plot of the game, and decide to include a few children, why is it that I can't take my big axe, or gun, and hack them down or blast them just like any other little unimportant bugger. Is killing kids *that* much more worse than killing a handful of NPC's? I guess there might be some games where you could do that, but I wouldn't be surprised if those games sucked - and that during the whole development of those games, the mark was put on shock value.

A fitting example would be Fallout 3, though there are others. Without spoiling it, I'm gonna say that you can handle pretty much any side-quests or 'interferences' with the power of violence in that game, but when it comes to a certain confrontation with a bunch of kids, I am forced  to reach a diplomatic solution.

Now why is that?
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By StarFoxA

Isn't it illegal to have children depicted in violent video games? If not, it was just some bullcrap I heard somewhere. Even if it's not illegal, it's just wrong, and would probably end up getting the game a ton of flak.

Nervosity1108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Nervosity1108

So is killing innocents.  Why is one so much worse than the other though? I'd like to quote Oscar Wilde on this one; he has a say on everything - "There is no such thing as a moral or immoral book. Books are either well written or badly written. That is all" Personally, I like to apply this quote to all fictional forms of entertainment.

I agree with the negative media attention and such, but I don't think it should be that way. Like I said, I'm not dying to see this happen in video games. I just wouldn't mind (at least, as long as that's not the main purpose of the game) - and I don't think the people who don't mind killing random innocent people in video games should mind either.

I've not heard about it being illegal.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
StarFoxA said:
"Isn't it illegal to have children depicted in violent video games? If not, it was just some bullcrap I heard somewhere. Even if it's not illegal, it's just wrong, and would probably end up getting the game a ton of flak."
It's not illegal in the US. The first amendment means it is impossible to make anything like that illegal. Although it's probably illegal in countries that are slightly more restrictive of video games (e.g. Germany, Australia). Either way, developers tend to stay clear of that territory to avoid unneeded controversy.
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

I do remember hearing that it is illegal in some countries.

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Aurelito

I found it fun to be a rich-texel pixel maniac.