No-brainer game idea: GI Joe + Battlefield

vonFlampanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Just spitballing here. I would love a Battlefield-style game built around the GI Joe license. I'd wager there'd be an audience for it with the gaming demographic getting older.

• Instead of picking a class and having every Medic/Engineer be a clone of the others you pick an individual Joe/Cobra with varied abilities.
  • Loads of great, interesting vehicles to take control of.
  • Cel-shaded 80s cartoon graphics
  • Put those voice actors back to work!
  • All manner of interesting scenarios from the show to apply to levels.
  • A Cobra-La expansion pack that no one cares about!

Was just sitting here thinking about it and thought I'd throw it out to you guys for discussion.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm not a huge GI Joe fan, but this actually makes alot of sense.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I dunno, maybe. I was never a G.I. Joe fan.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Errrrrrrr no

Hawkerace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Hawkerace

Except the flaw on how that nobody ever dies in GI Joe, only just vehicles and weapons being destroyed.

COOOBRRAAAA

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm only sold if I get to drive the bridgelayer.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is right in my cranky, old-man wheel house. I would support the hell out of a kickstarter for that game.

vonFlampanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawkerace: That would be a problem. I'm not sure how a game would handle that except to just introduce death/respawn. I looked at that movie tie-in game from a few years back to see how they handled it, but it wasn't much help. The enemies just dissolved after falling over.

Hawkerace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawkerace: That would be a problem. I'm not sure how a game would handle that except to just introduce death/respawn. I looked at that movie tie-in game from a few years back to see how they handled it, but it wasn't much help. The enemies just dissolved after falling over.

I'm sure there would be 'deaths', I'm just saying in the kids show, it was humorously adverted - a sort of "I'll get you next time gadget" kinda thing. I would find that doubly amusing to have in a full fledged war game where nobody ever died. Everyone gets to low health and manages to find cover or remove themselves from combat - and every vehicle magically has eject seats and everyone is equipped with infinite Just Cause parachutes.

vonFlampanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawkerace: Even Metal Gear Solid had a character or two with goofy "birdies" around their heads when knocked out. The parachutes would have to be the equivalent of "death" if your vehicle got destroyed. I can picture a killcam of Cobra Commander shaking his fist while hanging from a parachute.

In the cartoon they solved this by introducing those robot soldiers (B.A.T.s?). Even they realized the constant survival of every character was getting silly.

Or just forget that part of the license and go full-on bloodbath.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Clonedzero

do battlefield, but have it be aliens vs. humans independence day style. (not those aliens though)

just humans fighting off alien invasion. set it like 50-75 years in the future so you can have neat high-tech human crap. flying saucers. have an alien "vehicle" thats just a tube you step in and it injects you with crazy mutagen that turns you into a 15 foot tall behemoth that you go stomping about as for awhile. give the humans a suit of power armor.

why anyone would set their multiplayer game in the boring present is beyond me. future stuff has all sorts of crazy possiblities. MAYBE MAGIC. the classes. Assault, Medic, Support, Recon, Wizard.

Hawkerace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hawkerace

@vonflampanker: Donno bro, I'm personally so burnt out on multiplayer shooters I could probably not touch one for five years and be content. But if there was a dope-ass reason to be a minion in the Cobra clique it would have to be a pretty damn impressive game. That all being said I think it would be much more interesting of a GI Joe cartoonish with the game mechanics and gameplay more tuned to Evil Genius or a building sim with good twists and customization as well as light turn based combat similar to x-com whilst being quite cartoonish and overall pleasent. A terrorism sim with an upbeat tone as of viva pinata, and structured like Evil Genius with the GI Joe antics.

My pennies for you.