#1 Posted by Treadstone (13 posts) -

I apologize if this was brought up before.

Perhaps I am crazy but I seem to remember the shutdown of City of Heroes being displayed as an upcoming event on the main page when the news of the shutdown broke a couple months back.

I'm guessing plans changed? I spent a lot of time with CoH and it'd be fun to see the crew discuss it for a little bit tonight.

#2 Posted by psylah (2170 posts) -

Maybe they only want to do the shutdown events of bad MMOs...

#3 Posted by vikingdeath1 (953 posts) -

I loaded the NCsoft launcher and downloaded CoH last night to try and log in to my old account.... But for the life of me I cannot remember my old login/ password combo...... So no nostalgia for me :'(

#4 Posted by Animasta (14673 posts) -

the PR person hasn't gotten back to them, as far as Patrick said.

#5 Posted by Brendan (7756 posts) -

@psylah said:

Maybe they only want to do the shutdown events of bad MMOs...

OH SNA- Wait, that was a positive comment.

#6 Posted by SpacePenguin (476 posts) -

During TNT last night, Patrick mentioned that they just didn't know yet. I was really hoping to see a CoH stream but I don't think its going to happen.

#7 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

i played CoH for like 2 weeks. i could never get very far, cus making characters was more fun than actually playing them.

that character creator was a blast to mess around with.

#8 Edited by JadeGL (821 posts) -

I flew my level 50 around for a while yesterday and today. I also took some videos of flying in different zones, plus some fighting with my husband's level 50.

Miss Blizzard (me) and Saturn Prime, one last time, standing atop the globe in Atlas Park.

Moderator Online
#9 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

I hope they don't. COH holds a special place in my heart and I don't think I could take them fumbling around bitching and moaning about how bad the game is because they didn't take the time to learn it or don't understand stuff about how the game works. COH got really dam complicated after all the years and system that got added in.

#10 Posted by project343 (2817 posts) -

This makes me very sad. Oh-so-very sad.

This was one of my first MMOs and I have nothing but positive memories from it.

#12 Posted by Nightriff (4990 posts) -

Broken promises....broken promises

#13 Posted by TheHT (11132 posts) -

@Animasta said:

PR? Why can't they just load it up themselves and start streaming?

#14 Posted by Nightriff (4990 posts) -

@TheHT said:

@Animasta said:

Why its a terrible excuse, but I haven't seen a back lash from the community of them not doing a stream, which is sad.

#15 Posted by wemibelec90 (1626 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

I hope they don't. COH holds a special place in my heart and I don't think I could take them fumbling around bitching and moaning about how bad the game is because they didn't take the time to learn it or don't understand stuff about how the game works. COH got really dam complicated after all the years and system that got added in.

I feel they've always treated the MMO events with a large amount of respect for the MMO itself and the community around it. They have said on several occasions that they do them just so they can try and understand what made the game special enough that people kept playing all this time. Some snark is to be expected, of course, because that's who they are. They never come right out and shit on the game for being terrible.

#16 Posted by BisonHero (6440 posts) -

I can't wait for the Star Trek Online shutdown stream.

#17 Posted by Grimmy616 (399 posts) -

3:50am here and I just logged out of City of Heroes for the last time. Its been a hell of a ride.

#18 Posted by Petiew (1345 posts) -
@wemibelec90 said:

I feel they've always treated the MMO events with a large amount of respect for the MMO itself and the community around it. They have said on several occasions that they do them just so they can try and understand what made the game special enough that people kept playing all this time. Some snark is to be expected, of course, because that's who they are. They never come right out and shit on the game for being terrible.

Agreed, they made fun of the games somewhat but the streams were mostly positive. Ryan always tried to show off a bunch of the game's features and systems, as well as partying with giant naked crawling dudes and exploring the weird parts of the game and community.
#19 Posted by ajamafalous (11959 posts) -
@TheHT said:

@Animasta said:

They probably didn't have an account to play on, or were wanting to get in contact with a dev that could fuck with their char and get them past the early levels.
#20 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1958 posts) -

Dang, those end of MMO videos are always a blast. It's the only time I ever care about MMOs too. Giantbomb, I am dissapoint.

#21 Edited by JadeGL (821 posts) -

Just killed Lusca with a huge group on Protector Server. That will probably be the last thing I do in the game. Good way to go out. :)

Moderator Online
#22 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19326 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

They probably didn't have an account to play on, or were wanting to get in contact with a dev that could fuck with their char and get them past the early levels.

I'm pretty sure Ryan or someone else said they had an account on the Bombcast a month or two ago.

#23 Posted by ajamafalous (11959 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:

@ajamafalous said:

I'm pretty sure Ryan or someone else said they had an account on the Bombcast a month or two ago.

Ah, well then I've got no idea.

(I'm like 6 months behind on Bombcasts)
#24 Posted by onimonkii (2434 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@TheHT said:

@Animasta said:

i offered ryan my second account and any other help he would need a month ago and he never got back to me. :(

oh well. i had fun hanging out with my friends. i just wish other people could have gotten a peek into the world as it was ending.

#25 Posted by Zaccheus (1792 posts) -

I'm very disappointing.

#26 Posted by davidh219 (178 posts) -

I personally think they didn't do it because November is one of the busiest months for game releases, and they didn't think it was worth the time it would take. And that is BULLSHIT. I have never been so disappointed in them. Never should have said they'd do it if they weren't gonna follow through.

#27 Posted by VooDooPC (319 posts) -

Not sure if you've ever watched I love Mondays David, but they don't do 1/2 stuff they say on there pretty much every week. It's always "there's so many games coming out, ugh!" Or "nothing is coming out this week, ugh!"

#28 Edited by august (3836 posts) -

@davidh219 said:

I personally think they didn't do it because November is one of the busiest months for game releases, and they didn't think it was worth the time it would take. And that is BULLSHIT. I have never been so disappointed in them. Never should have said they'd do it if they weren't gonna follow through.

The developer couldn't or wouldn't tell them what time the servers were going down.

They weren't going to stay up all night for a server ending event that might not even occur.

#29 Posted by Grimmy616 (399 posts) -

Silly reason, as all they had to do was check the City of Heroes website or just ask on twitter.

Been two weeks now and still no mention of the City of Heroes shutdown.

#30 Posted by Mnemoidian (955 posts) -

@Grimmy616: Yeah, it's just over 2 weeks since City of Heroes shut down.

That boat has sailed.

#31 Posted by jimmyfenix (3852 posts) -

Im happy they didnt waste there time with that mmo

#32 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@VooDooPC said:

Not sure if you've ever watched I love Mondays David, but they don't do 1/2 stuff they say on there pretty much every week. It's always "there's so many games coming out, ugh!" Or "nothing is coming out this week, ugh!"

They also end up doing a lot of stuff they never mentioned.

God, I am sick of whiney community members.

#33 Posted by Mcfart (1607 posts) -

Yeah, if you want to watch an MMO shutdown, just go watch the Matrix Online or something...they all might as well be the same game anyway since nobody actually plays the game on the last day. They are just hanging out waiting for the shut down, and that stand animation is pretty similar in MMOS.

#34 Posted by Svenzon (718 posts) -

From what I've heard the shutdown was rather unceremonious anyway. Probably wouldn't have made for good video content to see a bunch of dudes stand around until they get disconnected.

#35 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -
@MordeaniisChaos

@VooDooPC said:

They also end up doing a lot of stuff they never mentioned.

God, I am sick of whiney community members.

BUT THEY OWE US MAN! No seriously, I completely agree. People have something to whine about constantly now.