#1 Edited by SOLO323 (34 posts) -

went to gamestop yesterday and the manager told me that games $4.99 and under no longer come with original game covers even if people trade them ln with them

#2 Posted by JayEH (516 posts) -

Games selling for around 4.99 are usually really old, so I imagine it makes business sense to throw away some cases after a couple of years.

#3 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5127 posts) -

Makes sense for the price.

#4 Posted by CynicalBuzzard (240 posts) -

That's cool I guess.

#5 Posted by believer258 (11563 posts) -

GB ate my fucking post, damn it!

Anyway, I just said that they've been doing this for a while now. At the moment they're probably getting a lot of trade-ins so it makes sense.

Amazon often has older games with the cases intact, check there. You might end up spending a fair bit more, though.

#6 Edited by Lukeweizer (2585 posts) -

Game cases or the cover art? If they remove the game cases, maybe they'll start selling separately.

#7 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2203 posts) -

There's been a few times I didn't get a case with a brand new 60 dollar game. Not even joking. Ofcourse I instantly returned

#8 Edited by bigjeffrey (4707 posts) -

gamestop sucks

#9 Posted by alanm26v5 (434 posts) -

I have a paper cd sleeve with used DS games in it thanks to Gamestop. Even when they had a case for it, they kept it for display.

#10 Posted by Andorski (5173 posts) -

Why throw away the case if someone sells them a copy with it?

Or does any game that comes with a case mean they will automatically charge more that $5 for it?

#11 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (965 posts) -

@andorski: I assume for more "shelf space", toss the cases out and keep the games in a paper sleeve in a filing cabinet.

#12 Edited by captain_clayman (3318 posts) -

Well good thing they don't have a lot of games that cheap.

#13 Posted by Sammo21 (3199 posts) -

Well, that's what you get at a glorified pawn shop.

#14 Posted by StingingVelvet (569 posts) -

If you care about packaging you're probably buying on Amazon or Ebay from people listing the condition properly anyway.

#15 Posted by SkullPanda1 (91 posts) -

Well if they are ditching the cases I hope they are at least recycling them.

#16 Edited by madman356647 (186 posts) -

If you care about packaging you're probably buying on Amazon or Ebay from people listing the condition properly anyway.

Exactly. I go to GameStop if I want the game immediately and the price is right (aka 2 for 1 deals). If I want a vintage/particular game in stellar condition, I go elsewhere.