#1 Posted by dunkard (71 posts) -

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-brief/54128-ngp-isnt-too-expensive-says-sony

Sorry if a repost. I hope this is not true. I am buying an ngp because of it's ps2 compatibility... I think this is a HUGE disadvantage for sony.. please rethink this sony..

#2 Edited by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -
@dunkard:
You thought NGP would be compatible with PS2 games?

Why?
#3 Posted by Funzzo (835 posts) -

PS2 compatibillity? on a hand held? like a ps2 disc? What?
#4 Edited by OmegaChosen (644 posts) -

I don't think they ever claimed it would be backwards compatible with PS2 games, dunkard. I'm sure they'll rerelease a few select PS2 games for the NGP(like they did with PS games on the PSP) but other than that they won't do much.

What concerns me more about that article is the no in-game XMB. It's not a huge thing but I would have liked to be able to mess around with the XMB stuff without have to logout of my game completely. :/

#5 Posted by Deeveeus (479 posts) -

......ummm thats not a surprise...now if you said PSP games....

#6 Posted by dunkard (71 posts) -
@all..
Thanks for replying I really expected ps2 games to be "reported" (if that's the right term) to the ngp. Yep the ngp don't have l2 and r2 but the games could be recoded to compensate for missing buttons.. and I mean also a select few.
To add, I've got nothing against psp games but I've bought a psp because it can play ps1 games.. :)
#7 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

That article mentions nothing about them stripping PS2 backwards compatibility at all. As a matter of fact, how can you have that kind of feature on a handheld when you can't put PS2 discs in that thing? However, I do know that they may release PS2 game downloads on their PSN store. Now, that makes sense.

#8 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5140 posts) -

So you won't be able to to shove full sized discs in a device that is smaller than them? What the hell is Sony thinking?!

#9 Posted by coryrx8 (175 posts) -
@Funzzo said:
"PS2 compatibillity? on a hand held? like a ps2 disc? What? "

I think he means PSN downloads of PS2 games, not playing PS2 games straight off the disc. The NGP definitely does have the CPU and GPU power to pull it off (the PS3 does too for that matter) but it seems that Sony doesn't want to spend the money on writing an emulator for it.
#10 Posted by EndlessObsidian (474 posts) -

Backwards compatibility? Come one people, it's time to move on. 

Also, I think people are mixing up what BC actually means. If you download a PS2 game for a system whether it be PS3 or the NGP, then that game is not actually BC. If you put a PS2 disc in a PS3 and it works then you have backwards compatibility. 

#11 Posted by Sargus (726 posts) -
@dunkard:  At first I thought this topic was pure sarcasm, but now I think you misunderstand what "backwards compatibility" is. It's not the ability to play a downloaded version of an old game on a newer system (a la the Virtual Console). It's the ability to put, say, a PS2 disc into a PS3 and have it work, no strings attached.

That said, I don't personally care if there are downloadable PS2 ports for the NGP or not.
#12 Posted by nick_verissimo (1383 posts) -

I never even thought about the NGP having PS2 games released on it akin to what Sony did with PS1 games on the PSP.  It really isn't a breaking point for me, I've got a PS2 still and playing those games on the go isn't a huge issue for me.

#13 Edited by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

How would you put the disc in?  

How else would Sony be able to entice you to re-buy all your favorite PS2 games ?  

Also, who wants to play PS2 game and why? You buy a new system to play new games. 

#14 Posted by captain_clayman (3320 posts) -

uhh... 
giant dvd...no disc slot... 

think it through bro. 

however it's not unlikely that the "HD collection" versions will be on NGP as well, like god of war and sly and ico/shadow of thecolossus.

#15 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7615 posts) -

I assume he was thinking more along the lines of digital PS2 games, the way the original PSP could play PS1 games.

#16 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

ytilibitapmoc sdrawkcab htiw nwod

#17 Posted by Gertso (40 posts) -
@coryrx8: Actually the PS3 has some CPU deficiencies that prevent it from emulating a lot of PS2 games that took advantage of the PS2's fillrate(ZOE 2 is a good example). That's why it hasn't happened and it's also why the launch PS3 had to have a PS2 built inside of it to play PS2 games. 
#18 Posted by AlexW00d (6234 posts) -
@Gertso said:
" @coryrx8: Actually the PS3 has some CPU deficiencies that prevent it from emulating a lot of PS2 games that took advantage of the PS2's fillrate(ZOE 2 is a good example). That's why it hasn't happened and it's also why the launch PS3 had to have a PS2 built inside of it to play PS2 games.  "
The 40gb (PAL) PS3s had a PS2 Emulator.
#19 Posted by Marz (5648 posts) -

hey guys, remember that time we could use cd's on a portable device.

#20 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@EpicSteve said:
" You buy a new system to play new games.  "
Or to play old games that you never got a chance to play. What I'm saying is that I'd get the system if there was PSP backwards compatibility.
#21 Posted by Choffy (443 posts) -
@EpicSteve said:
If you talked to me three years ago when I desperately wanted to buy a backwards compatible PS3, then I would have disagreed with you. But after three years of ownership, I have yet to find myself wishing my PS3 could play PS2 games.
#22 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -

Isn't the article just talking about Sony removing PS2 compatability for the PS3, since they never mentioned beinga able to play PS2 games on the NGP they wouldn't be able to remove it right?

The wierd thing about this article is that it says there won't be a in-game XMB on the NGP in order to keep the cost down... Wouldn't it be more effective to remove one of the expensive parts of the hardware to keep the cost down, not software...?
I have a feeling I misunderstood that part of the article... 
#23 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4385 posts) -
@Marz said:
" hey guys, remember that time we could use cd's on a portable device.
"
I try not to...
#24 Posted by Theworldbreaker (173 posts) -

#25 Edited by Driadon (2997 posts) -

Keep in mind that 

a) this article was published back on February 15th and 
b) this is the only thing in the article that even talks about PS2 compatibility...with the PS3:  

But even though gamers were getting quite a deal when they bought a PS3, many just couldn't afford a $600 game machine. So, Sony had to strip away PS2 backward compatibility and two USB ports to bring down the price. And now, the PS3 is finally starting to sell formidably against its competitors.

/facepalm

#26 Posted by BaneFireLord (2920 posts) -

Troll is trolling.

#27 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@dunkard said:
"  http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-brief/54128-ngp-isnt-too-expensive-says-sony  Sorry if a repost. I hope this is not true. I am buying an ngp because of it's ps2 compatibility... I think this is a HUGE disadvantage for sony.. please rethink this sony..  "
... why would you think that? How the hell would it even work?
#28 Posted by Gertso (40 posts) -
@AlexW00d: Yea but it was only partially software. They still had to have some PS2 components to make it work and even then the results were mixed at best.
#29 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -

Guys, the NGP will be cracked open within weeks and we'll all be emulating SNES games on it anyway. PS2 will be no problem.

#30 Posted by ajamafalous (11957 posts) -

I'm so confused by this topic.

#31 Posted by iAmJohn (6117 posts) -
@coryrx8 said:
" @Funzzo said:
"PS2 compatibillity? on a hand held? like a ps2 disc? What? "

I think he means PSN downloads of PS2 games, not playing PS2 games straight off the disc. The NGP definitely does have the CPU and GPU power to pull it off (the PS3 does too for that matter) but it seems that Sony doesn't want to spend the money on writing an emulator for it.
"
But there's no fucking downloadable PS2 games on the PlayStation Store to begin with!  This entire thread is founded on one ridiculous logical fallacy!
#32 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" @EpicSteve said:
Or to play old games that you never got a chance to play. What I'm saying is that I'd get the system if there was PSP backwards compatibility. "
Well you get the system that plays the games you want to play. If you want to play PSP games buy a PSP, if you want to play NGP games buy a NGP.