• 100 results
#1 Posted by ClassyLime (39 posts) -

Hey Guys, 

I was just wondering if anyone else noticed that the GB crew didn't have a PSP-only Game of the Year award. I found this strange since they did have one for the DS, so they weren't excluding handheld platforms. Do you think they just forgot, or maybe they just didn't play enough PSP games this year to feel that they could properly nominate a GOTY for the PSP? 

Looking back on the year in PSP, there wasn't too much that seemed amazing, but I can name three games right off the top of my head that I think are the top 3 of the year; Valkyria Chronicles 2, Persona 3 Portable, and God of War: Ghost of Sparta, with Valkyria winning GOTY for me. 

So what do you guys think? Why did GB leave out the PSP in their GOTY categories and if you have any, what were your favorite PSP games this year?

#2 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11456 posts) -

A. I think it's because none of them use PSPs in personal time, 

And B. You're crazy, MGS Peace Walker is easily the best PSP game ever. 

#3 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5855 posts) -

I think ZHP was the best 2010 PSP game.

#4 Posted by lordbazuco (378 posts) -

yeah, I've been wondering about that too. I mean I don't own a psp, but I'd still love more giant bomb content

#5 Posted by Venatio (4493 posts) -

Mine is Persona 3 Portable, and I didn't ereally expect one from them

They're DS guys, they don't play the PSP and they don't really care about it. It's a shame though, it's a good handheld

#6 Posted by JJWeatherman (14564 posts) -

Lets start a community PSP GOTY vote. 

I vote P3P.

#7 Posted by ClassyLime (39 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan said:
" A. I think it's because none of them use PSPs in personal time,  And B. You're crazy, MGS Peace Walker is easily the best PSP game ever.  "
Unfortunately, I never got around to playing Peace Walker, so I can't comment on that, but I have heard good things about it for sure. 
#8 Posted by 02sfraser (847 posts) -

Don't think any of them really play there PSP. Only titles I think I played worth a mention were Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, Peacewalker and GoW

#9 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

I'm just annoyed my PSP broke just before Peace Walker was released.

#10 Posted by Synthballs (2193 posts) -

no gaems

#11 Posted by alternate (2719 posts) -

When the short list contains all the notable releases on the entire platform there isn't much point.

#12 Posted by EpicSteve (6495 posts) -

The problem is any list you comprise as candidates would also be the only notable releases. So there's little competition.

#13 Posted by IamTerics (423 posts) -

ZHP is amazing in everyway. Peace Walker was cool but  none of my friends had it.

#14 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6201 posts) -

METARU GIARU

#15 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

none of them played any of em?

#16 Posted by animathias (1194 posts) -

There were at least half a dozen good games for the PSP this year to fill out a list. I bet that none of them played any of them. I'd rather they didn't make a PSP list and call something the GotY for the platform because only Jeff played a PSP game.

My pick would be Lunar: Silver Star Harmony. Great RPG.

#17 Posted by ClassyLime (39 posts) -
@EpicSteve said:
" The problem is any list you comprise as candidates would also be the only notable releases. So there's little competition. "
Ya that's definitely true, but it still kinda sucks that the PSP, and the developers who worked on games for that platform, are getting a bit of a short stick here. 

And, I mean, right now we have 6 games that could be considered for GOTY just looking at some of the posts here (Valkyria 2, P3P, God of War, ZHP, Peace Walker, and Kingdom Hearts), so that is a bit of competition.
#18 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6201 posts) -
@Laketown said:

" none of them played any of em? "

Technically... 

#19 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -

I doubt they have played any PSP games.

I'd vote Valkyrie Chronicles 2. Or maybe Peace Walker .

#20 Posted by Akeldama (4255 posts) -

Giant Bomb has no love for Sony.

#21 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

It's not that there aren't enough games, it's that for every PSP game you get that "I really wish it was on the PS3/360 instead". As great as Peace Walker and Valkyria Chronicles 2 were... I wish they had been designed and made for a console. 

Maybe the PSP2 will change that by adding the touch pad stuff, but it's too early to think about.

#22 Posted by AlisterCat (5712 posts) -

They have covered PSP games, but they've said their job with these awards isn't to be definitive. If they haven't played much or any PSP then they won't cover it. They don't have to, either.

#23 Posted by ClassyLime (39 posts) -
@Vorbis said:
" It's not that there aren't enough games, it's that for every PSP game you get that "I really wish it was on the PS3/360 instead". As great as Peace Walker and Valkyria Chronicles 2 were... I wish they had been designed and made for a console.  Maybe the PSP2 will change that by adding the touch pad stuff, but it's too early to think about. "
Ya, the problem with making what's basically a PS2 for your pocket, with no interesting features like the touch pad or dual screens that you can't find anywhere else, you run that risk for sure. And I 100% agree with the "I wish it was on the 360/PS3" argument. When I heard Valkyria 2 was PSP only, I was super bummed.  

But that's actually why I think Valkyria Chronicles 2 is my PSP GOTY, because, even though I wish it was on the PS3, the developers took the first game, and actually improved it, so that it's actually better than the first one. Sure, the graphics took a bit of a hit, but they added so many cool features, such as branching tech trees for each unit, and a more persona style interaction with your squad, that I feel that they could effectively bring this series back to the PS3, if they wanted, and that foray it took into the PSP would actually have been beneficial to the series, whereas with God of War and Persona, sure they're great games, but they don't actually improve that much on the console versions of those products, and yeah sometimes it does feel like, when playing those games, you wish they should've been made for consoles. 

Again, I can't talk about Peace Walker, because I haven't played it, but from reading about it, it seems like they have evolved that series to a certain extent on the PSP as well.
#24 Posted by Jazz (2294 posts) -
@FancySoapsMan said:
" I think ZHP was the best 2010 PSP game. "
This. Also GB doesn't give a shit about handheld games really. 
Not enough pixels
#25 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -
@ClassyLime: VC2 was great and improved over the first game alot, but I miss the art style and some of the charm from the first game. VC3 is looking to be the best of both however, can't wait.
#26 Posted by Gamer_152 (14100 posts) -

They're a small team and they can only play a certain number of games. I think it's probably the case that they haven't played enough PSP games this year to make a decision on the PSP GoTY.

#27 Posted by RecSpec (3912 posts) -

After Picross 3D won DS goty, I don't really mind. 

Hearing that DS conversation, it was a lot of "I'm pretty sure this game is good, but we didnt spend enough time on it"

#28 Posted by DeeGee (2144 posts) -

Last year they did not review a single PSP game. Not sure how if they did this year or not.

#29 Posted by Enigma777 (6084 posts) -

Tell me about it. it's complete BS if you ask me. 

2010 has been one of the best years for the PSP: Lunar, Peace Walker, P3P, Valkyria Chronicles 2, Ghost of Sparta, ZHP, Birth By Sleep...

#30 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

Yeah, I don't own a PSP, but I kinda found that odd as well-- I'm guessing they just didn't play a lot of PSP games this year to have an opinion on this particular platform.

#31 Posted by cgoodno (166 posts) -

Lots of good PSP games, actually.

Peace Walker
Valkyrie Chronicles 2
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
God of War: Ghost of Sparta
Fifa 2011
P3P
Sid Meier's Pirates

Definitely enough out there to do a GotY, IMHO.  For me, my favorite for the year would be Valkyrie Chronicles 2.

#32 Posted by RecSpec (3912 posts) -

Whoa, I've never heard of ZHP before this topic. Someone sell me on it. 

From what I've read, it sounds like it might be pretty damn good.

#33 Posted by Enigma777 (6084 posts) -
@RecSpec said:
" Whoa, I've never heard of ZHP before this topic. Someone sell me on it.  From what I've read, it sounds like it might be pretty damn good. "
It's like Disgaea from the makers of Disgaea
#34 Edited by RecSpec (3912 posts) -

That doesn't sound fun at all, I am not a fan of those games. Bummer. 

The thing that throws me off is that people refer to it as a Roguelike Disgaea. That does not compute.

#35 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

I really enjoyed Phantasy Star Portable 2.. but not much else.  (didn't play Peace Walker yet)  

I loved the PS3   Valkyria Chronicles, but not so much the PSP one.  The anime influences make the storyline unbearable, I can't get over the military academy seeming like a highschool and every single one of the characters is obnoxious, especially the main one.  It's a huge departure from how the story and characters were handled in the first game and that's definitely not a good thing.  I also didn't like any of the new gameplay mechanics or class leveling system, again, I felt every one of the changes only detracted from the game.  Hoping the third looks back to what made the original game work so well.

#36 Posted by griefersstolemykeyboard (359 posts) -

Don't think they played any PSP games this year enough to form any valid opinions on them.

#37 Posted by Spiritof (2084 posts) -

Peace Walker ate my freakin' lunch this year, and nearly became my personal GotY.

Valkyria Chronicles II is eating my lunch right now. Ghost of Sparta, P3P or Ys Seven?

There's easily enough great games for the platform to at least have the discussion.

#38 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:
" I really enjoyed Phantasy Star Portable 2.. but not much else.  (didn't play Peace Walker yet)  I loved the PS3   Valkyria Chronicles, but not so much the PSP one.  The anime influences make the storyline unbearable, I can't get over the military academy seeming like a highschool and every single one of the characters is obnoxious, especially the main one.  It's a huge departure from how the story and characters were handled in the first game and that's definitely not a good thing.  I also didn't like any of the new gameplay mechanics or class leveling system, again, I felt every one of the changes only detracted from the game.  Hoping the third looks back to what made the original game work so well. "
....the hell are you talking about, the first Valkyria Chronicles had a BEACH EPISODE for christs sake!

(and that incredibly cheesy scene were you basically got a flashback song montage)

The first game is anime as fuck. Story is not a strong point for this franchise, that's for sure! I wouldn't recommend missing out on VC2 just for that.

I can agree that the class up system was poor-conceived in some pretty key-areas. Still a fun game!
#39 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6999 posts) -
@Akeldama said:
" Giant Bomb has no love for Sony. "
That's why they said that the list of games the came out for PS3 was way better than the 360 list.
#40 Posted by Jadeskye (4368 posts) -

Whats a PSP?

#41 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -
@mutha3: Yeah, the beach sequence was pretty silly.  But I don't just hate everything anime, only when it's done badly.  It was done very badly in VC2. 
The military academy premise may have even worked, but why in the hell was it styled like a high school, down to the uniforms? 

Even the art style was more obnoxious..

We went from this..

To this.
The whole game feels like it's trying desperately to fit in with what's currently cool and popular and, in my opinion at least, fails really badly and completely destroys the spirit of the first game.
#42 Posted by dragonzord (825 posts) -

You're all crazy 

Oath in Felghana is the greatest PSP game of all time. Of all time!

#43 Posted by Milkman (17202 posts) -

I can't even tell you 3 games that came out on the PSP this year. 

#44 Posted by dragonzord (825 posts) -
@Milkman said:
" I can't even tell you 3 games that came out on the PSP this year.  "
Well we're hoping the Giantbomb people aren't so ignorant.
#45 Posted by blackbird415 (777 posts) -

psp is a good system there are plenty of good games on it at this point. Thing is that its not  a big platform to develop for. Hopefully psp 2 will have more love

#46 Posted by Akeldama (4255 posts) -
@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
" @Akeldama said:
" Giant Bomb has no love for Sony. "
That's why they said that the list of games the came out for PS3 was way better than the 360 list. "
Don't pull out your flame shield. I am just perpetuating the "GIANT BOMB HATES DA PS3 LOL" thing. 
#47 Posted by mutha3 (4986 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind:  Yeah, the art style was kinda fucked in VC2, I thought VC1 was aesthetically pleasing and the hit the art(and the hardware) took in the second game definitely came as an unpleasant surprise. But, if we're talking about the "anime-ness" of these games.... man that flashback montage...That is perhaps the most anime moment in the entire series.

I guess they were kinda reaching with the highschool setting, though. Feels a bit like they're riding the coattails of Persona's recent popularity in a really arbitrary way. Its kinda funny, actually.

There were some really good, well designed maps in VC2 so I was able to forgive it for its flaws. And I thought they dealt with the limited hardware in a very clever fashion.  VC3 seems to be the best of both worlds from the demo they've put out. Tried playing that? I definitely feel the art looks much better in this one.
#48 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

The only thing I use my PSP for is watching Hulu/Netflix on the toilet since my Droid2 is still somehow incapable of doing that.

#49 Posted by Enigma777 (6084 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
" The only thing I use my PSP for is watching Hulu/Netflix on the toilet since my Droid2 is still somehow incapable of doing that. "
PSP can use Netflix? Since when?
#50 Posted by Grilledcheez (3956 posts) -

Games came out on the PSP this year?