Non-atlus endurance run?

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By lemon360

Atlus is a great company that makes fine products, but wouldn't you like some diversity in the endurence runs? And would you like a FF13 ER?

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Scooper

I wouldn't like another Atlus run not because their games are bad, I think they're awesome, but because we've seen one and I think we should see another game from another publisher. On the topic if I think we should see a FF13 or a Square Enix ER? No. Too many people will be playing that game themselfs I think.

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

The best part about the Endurance Runs is the commentary on the bat-shit insane japanese stuff that goes on, Persona 4 doesn't take itself mega-seriously, and because of that we get loads of hilarious moments made even better by Jeff and Vinny.
A game that does take itself seriously [FF13] isn't going to be anywhere near as much fun to watch, the best they could do it poke fun at the plot convulsion.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By jkz

Lost Odyssey could be cool, some of the dialouge with Jansen is pretty humorous, it has a sweeping narrative, and some funny, and in some cases interesting, characters.

Of course when P5 comes out (argh) they better do an ER
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

I think the next endurance run has to be something they like and can make jokes about.

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hairydutchman

I've been thinking about other games for an endurance run, but I can't think of anything. Most rpg's are way too serious to be entertaining when someone else is playing.

Maybe a Paper Mario game?

darkspirit138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By darkspirit138

Paper Mario=WIN

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Why not diversify outside of the RPG genre, and do a point & click adventure game? What made the endurance run so great is that it gave people a chance to see a game that they probably wouldn't usually experience. The point & click genre is a much neglected genre today, and would have a similar ethos to the P4 endurance run.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By danielkempster

A Final Fantasy XIII Endurance Run would be a very bad idea. It would essentially be an invitation for Square Enix to dish out one of their cease-and-desist letters. They seem to enjoy doing that.

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

Would take the Endurance out of Endurance Run but I think Matt Hazard would be pretty funny to watch the guys play through.

darkspirit138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By darkspirit138

But, I think this should be shown worldwide. People have bought this game solely because of the fact that GB are making a ER about it with J&V, so if they do, that would mean people would pay them to play their game.

Of course, the only problem with that is that Square Enix will probably win that. Maybe they should do some sort of game like Dragonball Evolution.

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Oriental_Jams

Maybe something like Fahrenheit. That got pretty insane. Jokes could be made.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#13  Edited By JackiJinx

If this is about Devil Summoner 2, that wasn't the start of an Endurance Run.

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hairydutchman
MattyFTM said:
Why not diversify outside of the RPG genre, and do a point & click adventure game? What made the endurance ... [more]
I was thinking about that, but there's a lot of trial and error in those type of games which isn't really fun to watch.
CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By CenturionCajun

The next endurance run, which is still a long ways off, has to be something just as quirky and insane as Persona 4. You don't get teddy bears living in televisions who come out of the television and turn into metrosexual boys in every game. It also has to be something that isn't too focus intensive to play. One of the good things about Persona 4 being turn based is that they can sit back and think about what they are doing and crack wise at the same time.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By subject2change

I really believe they amy want to move into some older game; call it the Retro Run or something like that. Or run multiple endurance runs together; have say Jeff/Vinny and Brad/Ryan together doing different games. Release em in a rotatin fashion and try to do 30min runs minimum. However I really doubt they would want all 4 guys buckled down doing Endurance Runs.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By subject2change
Oriental_Jams said:
TOOOOOOO short, beat that game in 5 hours and watching them hit up down up down left right  over and over again would be boring; Heavy Rain might be a better option if the game fixes Fahrenheit's/Indigo Prophecy's problems. And make it more based on your personal actions drives the story into multiple endings.
FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

You know guys, there is always Persona 3...

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Feanor

Whatever it is it needs to be a turned based RPG, so it feels like both Jeff and Vinny are involved, and not just one of them.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yea, I support Lost Odyssey. But how about...

• Zack & Wiki
  • Any Pokemon game (that'd be kinda cool)
  • No More Heroes

Keep in mind that I don't watch the Endurance Runs, mainly because I haven't played Persona 4.
lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lemon360
@Video_Game_King: the problem i see with a pokemon endurance run is that its 5% reading text, 5%battling gyms 5% collecting items, and 85% fighting wild pokemon, most being the same repetitive types. at least for a good portion of the game.
Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Stang

I would rather be stabbed in the neck with a myth like sword then watch a Pokemon endurance run.

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hairydutchman

No More Heroes might be cool though. That game is crazy.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By artofwar420

I'd love them to do any of these games:

• Fallout 3
  • Psychonauts
  • Half LIfe 2
  • Metal Gear Solid... 2
  • World of Warcraft, yeah I went there. But really, could that be even possible? Watchable?
Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Stang

Psychonauts would be kinda cool. There is enough bizarre shit going on in that game to make for some interesting conversations.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The_A_Drain

Honestly, playing a game everybody has seen would just be the worst idea ever. Especially if its one they've played before, it would just be a poorly done speedrun.

Atlus is the perfect choice because honestly, the games are usually different enough for each person who played it that theres likely to be only one or two people out there who have the same experiences, but not enough of the human race experience Atlus games to begin with.

That said, i'd quite like to see them play Street Fighter for a while :P

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By trophyhunter

pretty much the rules or a endurance run game are
it needs to have a actual story
it needs to have voice acting
it needs to be a long ass game
its need to have cut scenes because that's were all the funny comes from 
and it need to be something interesting

watching them play a FPS would horrible
so basically your stuck with rpgs or some action games

Avatar image for carolinafan3515
CarolinaFan3515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CarolinaFan3515

My suggestions of goofy games that could be made made fun of in 30min increments:

-Dark Cloud 2
-Bully (even though it would be shorter than desired)
-One of the Ratchet and Clank games
-Half-Life
-Stubbs the Zombie
-Penny Arcade
-Wallace and Gromit
or
-One of the first 2 Fallouts

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By trophyhunter

I'm telling you a FPS would be awful and any unvoiced would be too
also this whole thing started because jeff and vinny wanted to play persona but didn't have time
so the next one will be something they want to play but don't have time my dream would be cross-edge but that will never happen

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Milkman

We still have 40 hours left in this Endurance Run. How about we get through this one first?

Stunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Stunt

I dunno, I'd really love to see an Endurance Run of Devil Summoner and the whole Atlus thing kind of draws me in.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CenturionCajun

I don't know about Devil Summoner. Their Endurance Look they did they weren't very into it. I wasn't either. It just doesn't seem quirky enough and I don't really like the action combat sequence.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Stang

Devil Summoner is awesome......just not to watch. There are not enough odd ball in game moments that would create funny convo points for Jeff and Vinny.

RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By RagingLion

I agree that it needs to have an actual story with voice acting.  Cut scenes probably would be desirable and humour is probably another requirement.  I don't know if it should just be limited to a really long game.  There might be some shorter good and appropriate games around.  But an actual must is that Vinny and Jeff (or maybe another combination of the GB crew) cannot have played the game before, which naturally rules a huge chunk of games out right off the bat.  The surprise of witnessing new and unexpected events has been what has made for many of the best ER moments thus far.

We've covered Persona 4 and I think it would be nice to explore something quite a bit different for variety rather than just being locked into JRPGs.  In the case of Persona 3 FES it just wouldn't work because Vinny has played much if not all of that game.  Agree that FPS would definitely not work.

I quite like the idea of exploring some retro games that have hardly been played by many people as subjects for a new ER.  I still think a Tim Schafer game sounds like the best idea to me so far, though I'm going off of reputation and what I've heard in saying that, without having really played any of his games.  Seen a brief bit of Grim Fandango and there's some great funny dialogue and weird things to do.  Psychonauts is the other one I've really heard of and is supposed to be really good.  Other people would have to vouch for if they would make good ER material.  And of course Jeff and Vinny would need to have not played those games which is possible.  The Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) suggestion intrigued me as being possible also.

What we really need is a list of games that Jeff and Vinny have both not played but feel like they would like to and that could make a good shortlist to then choose a new game from.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By RedSox8933

I am totally okay with another Atlus game endurance run. I wouldn't mind Devil Summoner 2, but I hope they don't do that one.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Stang

A small thing that nobody has really brought up.....a lot of companies probably would not be kosher with playing the entire game and posting it online. We know in the case of P4 it is awesome publicity and is being damn well received, but I doubt many publishers would give the a-ok. Squenix would shit themselves (itself?) if the GB crew ER'd their latest entry. Hopefully this will not be a giant roadblock.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f17af3f88819
deactivated-5f17af3f88819

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Milkman said:
We still have 40 hours left in this Endurance Run. How about we get through this one first?
I agree with this.And maybe Jeff and Vinny will run out of endurance during this endurance run? Could happen, persona four is a very endurance sapping game. And Like milkman said, we still have 40 or persona four craziness till we have to worry about this.
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By subject2change

They got more than 40 hours i'd say. Especially if they go true ending, which I believe they will.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By EvilDingo
Oriental_Jams said:
I believe It's called Indigo Prophecy over there - and it features less nudity in that North American version (which means none). ;-)
That game differently blew my mind when playing it... for the first couple of hours - The game lost my interest towards the end.
I completed the game, but never felt like going back to play it through a second time.

... Also on the subject - I really don't see it as an endurance run. I don't even recall it being all that long.
Jimbo7676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jimbo7676

It simply won't work unless the game in itself is funny to comment on.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CenturionCajun
Stang said:
A small thing that nobody has really brought up.....a lot of companies probably would not be kosher with playing the ... [more]
This is an important point to bring up. Jeff and Vinny have stated several times that Atlus has been very supportive of the Endurance Run. Even going so far as to say that the North American PR head for Atlus has been keeping tabs on it. I'm guessing this is most likely being done because it's good free advertising for their game. Just look how many of us, including me, went out of picked up Persona 3 FES or Persona 4 based entirely on the Endurance Run.

Now, a bigger title game from a larger corportation it might not fly so well. We need to take this into account with our predictions.
PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PercyChuggs
dankempster said:
A Final Fantasy XIII Endurance Run would be a very bad idea. It would essentially be an invitation for Square ... [more]
Square is going to tell Giant Bomb to stop playing a game that was probably sent to them BY Square or purchased legally at a store? I don't think there are any rules as to how much video footage of a commercially released game you can show.
Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#43  Edited By Lazyaza

I hate to say it but I think the persona 4 endurance run has been a total one off. I seriously doubt their is another game out there capable of generating as much hilarity and randomness.
The segment seems to only work with slow paced games where Vinny and Jeff are free to take their time and chatter as much as they like.  Any game that requires consistent focus would not work at all, that being said it doesn't mean it has to be a jrpg but honestly what other genres out their are playable in the same way as a jrpg? none really.  Perhaps a grid based tactics jrpg?  Their were quite a few of those on ps1 and ps2. 

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CenturionCajun

What about Disgaea 3? That's a tactical RPG and is also incredibly Japanese insane.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#45  Edited By JJWeatherman
MattyFTM said:
Why not diversify outside of the RPG genre, and do a point & click adventure game? What made the endurance ... [more]
Grim Fandango would be a game I would be interested in seeing again. It's been so long since I originally played it. Also i think a lot of people missied out and never got to see it, based on the sales of of the game. Not exactly point and click, but it has the spirit of a point and click.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By Red

They need a whacky, fun and lighthearted game in order to make it fun to watch. Atlus is really the only company that makes those games nowadays.

I guess a Tales of Vesperia ER could work.
lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By lord_canti

i think it boils down to atlus games are good long games (eg persona 4 around 60+ hours)  and that no other company really would allow a website  to play through a entire game showing all the story to a relitively good game. other companys like square would go out of there minds and contact there law team before the first second is recorded