Non-Subscribers: Why did you not commit?

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Will somebody clarify what kind of profile features I won't be able to access without paying? It says free users get limited profile stuff, but I don't know if they stated what we're missing out on. That right there could be enough to make me subscribe...

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#52  Edited By ajamafalous
@Leptok said:
" @ajamafalous said:
" The Bombcast split. "
Then dude help keep it together. "
I don't negotiate with terrorists.
BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By BlackHeronBlue

why isn't there like an "upgrade to gold" membership option... I'm logging in here using an email address from 3 years ago...

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By zeforgotten

After buying new stuff for the house and paying bills there's not even enough left for just a month. 
People who have mommy and daddy pay for everything seem to be confused by this for some reason.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#55  Edited By Rhaknar

i dont have a iphone (or any fancy phone, i use a crappy cellphone just for calls and msgs... primitive, i know) so the mobile site is pointless for me, i dont care about 720p videos of games i will play in 720p anyway, which leaves the second hour of the bombcast, which sucks, but i can live with hearing it 1 week later, i usually listen to old bombcasts all the time anyway. That's about it. Its not personal, or a principle thing, the service just doesnt have anything for me

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#57  Edited By Jeust
@TheGreatGuero said:
" Will somebody clarify what kind of profile features I won't be able to access without paying? It says free users get limited profile stuff, but I don't know if they stated what we're missing out on. That right there could be enough to make me subscribe... "
That is enough to drive me away. :p 

I don't want to pay for stuff other similar websites give for free. 
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By TheGreatGuero
@Jeust: Well, maybe I'm wrong about this, but I'm making the assumption that they're not taking anything away in terms of profile content, but are adding new stuff that's exclusive to paying members. Any word on that?
Avatar image for deactivated-61c8f6f078fa4
deactivated-61c8f6f078fa4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@OracleXIII: firefox.exe
ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

#60  Edited By ManMadeGod
@Ham08 said:
" @SirCandle:  No other gaming website requires me to pay the reviewers.   If they won't allow me to read their reviews unless I pay them, I'll just go to another website.  If all websites require me to pay them for a review, I just stop looking for reviews and the game companies lose a sale.   No biggy to me.  If Giant Bomb does not know how to make money doing reviews, then they do not know what they are doing. "
Sites like Gamespot and IGN are owned by mega corporations. Giantbomb is not. It's not easy to operated a independent  video games website. You make it sound like every other person can easily operated a review-based website and make money. Think about how many people would love to do this for a living, how many people start up their own sites, and how many fail. You seem really out of touch with reality.
triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#61  Edited By triple07
@simplicite said:
" Right now I don't feel like spending the $5 or $50 on membership is a good use of my money. Partly because of members only content is not enough justification, but mostly because I have real life things to put the money towards. So, yeah I'm fine "paying" for my "free" WM memberships by not blocking the ads on their sites and even clicking on those ads. "
Also its not my fault they don't advertise more. Plus the whole bombcast thing has soured me on it for a while.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#62  Edited By StarFoxA

Don't currently have the money, and I'm not interested in many of the features. I really want that shirt, though.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#63  Edited By TheHBK

Well, lets see  
1) Bombcast is being changed.  Now can they justify that you'd have to pay for the bombcast?  yes, its long and takes a lot of their time.  However a lot of other sites dont even think about charging for their podcast. 
2)  Dave had explicitly said that the memberships would only add features, not take away or change anything.  That clearly hasn't happened and I now question the integrity of the crew. 
3)  I don't care about anything else.  50 is great if I am using all the whiskey sites and the new stuff.  But I don't have an iphone for the mobile site to work beautifully.  I don't care about HD.  My internet speed sucks as it is and I just want to watch the damn video, not wait for it. I also don't care about the other whiskey sites.  Maybe tested would be visited once a month.  Thats it.
So in summary, the 50 bucks a year or 5 a month is not worth it.  I only read reviews and listen to the bombcast and come to the forums.  Spending 50 bucks a year to get the rest of the podcast is not wise.

Avatar image for guerrilla_mason
guerrilla_mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#64  Edited By guerrilla_mason
@OracleXIII: I've seen people saying they're using stuff from three years ago on this site in some form or fashion. How are you doing this on a two year old site?
Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Supermarius
@pbhawks45 said:
" I didn't becasuse GB and Whiskey Media flip-flopped on their position to not take away free features. I don't appreciate liars. What about you guys? "
this. I don't like Whiskey Media as much as i did yesterday morning. Turned back on my ad blocker too.
phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By phantomzxro

I really like giantbomb and i hope they do well so far all the changes have not bug me all that much. The bombcast  deal kinda sucks but if it is still great i will be ok. But to the reason why i'm not going to yet is just a matter of value to me personally is not quite there yet. Even some of my all time favorite sites i have not drop money down yet. I think 50 dollars is in the ballpark of fair for access to all of whiskey media sites but it is a bit high. I just enjoy the entertainment side of giantbomb and not so much the editorial side of things. I understand the site is small so they stick to things that interest them but i find they don't  give some games a fair chance. So i'm not going to pay if all the games i want covered are not covered or not given fair chance in the  spotlight.  So maybe when this paid service pays off and they add a voice in or two to the edirorial team then i would reconsider. As for the other sites i think comic vine is the only other site i go too. I should spend more time in tested or screened tho.    
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Turambar

I can no longer give them the money simply out of love for the site after yesterday.  And it's going to take me a little longer to decide if the actual premium contents are going to be worth it.  (aka, is the Live Show Live going to be worth it.  HD video and mobile site does nothing for me.)

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#68  Edited By trophyhunter
@ajamafalous said:
" @Leptok said:
" @ajamafalous said:
" The Bombcast split. "
Then dude help keep it together. "
I don't negotiate with terrorists. "
damn straight
Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#69  Edited By Nictel

Lack of PayPal.

hostile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#70  Edited By hostile

I like the sites Whiskey Media has but not enough to pay for it. It seems the biggest reason to subscribe would be to support the Bombcast guys and I just don't love them enough to do that with the exception of Mr. Shoemaker. If you need me to spot you a five, Brad, just let me know = )

Glak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Glak

I'm too young, don't have a credit card
I want a medal and a t-shirt and support whiskey, since I love everyone there

haethos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By haethos

no dolla bills right now :-( will subscribe next week

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#73  Edited By DystopiaX
@TheHBK said:
"

Well, lets see  
1) Bombcast is being changed.  Now can they justify that you'd have to pay for the bombcast?  yes, its long and takes a lot of their time.  However a lot of other sites dont even think about charging for their podcast. 
2)  Dave had explicitly said that the memberships would only add features, not take away or change anything.  That clearly hasn't happened and I now question the integrity of the crew. 
3)  I don't care about anything else.  50 is great if I am using all the whiskey sites and the new stuff.  But I don't have an iphone for the mobile site to work beautifully.  I don't care about HD.  My internet speed sucks as it is and I just want to watch the damn video, not wait for it. I also don't care about the other whiskey sites.  Maybe tested would be visited once a month.  Thats it.
So in summary, the 50 bucks a year or 5 a month is not worth it.  I only read reviews and listen to the bombcast and come to the forums.  Spending 50 bucks a year to get the rest of the podcast is not wise.

"
1. Which aren't as long and they make money for- either by showing off products/games during the cast or by having sponsors that they'll name drop. The bombcast is freaking expensive, they need to ppay for it. 
2. They just said they wouldn't lock anything away. No part of the bombcast has been locked away, all you have to do is wait a freaking week for your goddamn wiiware.
t_blok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By t_blok

Well I lost my account, and they're not accepting paypal.
Also the site is total crap at the moment.

If that's all sorted out, I'll reconsider and steal someone's creditcard to pay.

zforce915

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By zforce915

Honestly?  Because I pay money for games, not for games news.  I enjoy the Bombcast a LOT and visit the site occasionally during peak times (PAX, E3) but could really easily get by without it.  If they wanted to charge $5 for a year of the bombcast I'd consider that because hell, $5 really isn't much and I get that time spent recording the podcast isn't time spent doing real work that could bring in the cash.

So give me a $5 year membership to the bombcast and I'm in.  Otherwise, sorry guys I just can't cut it.  But I still love you, k?

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#76  Edited By ch13696

After people kept going on about "it's only $0.14 a day", I just gave up. I got tired of hearing that crap. If Whiskey Media wants to do a per-day subscription model then they will. So because of those people, I'm not subscribing. 

Oh, and also the bombcast split. Way to take away something I can listen to while playing an MMO.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Buscemi
@DystopiaX: Urgh, they should totally stop with that Wiiware crap. Spend some quality time with the premiums instead.
hilld1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By hilld1985
@ch13696 said:
" After people kept going on about "it's only $0.14 a day", I just gave up. I got tired of hearing that crap. If Whiskey Media wants to do a per-day subscription model then they will. So because of those people, I'm not subscribing.  Oh, and also the bombcast split. Way to take away something I can listen to while playing an MMO. "
You're a fucking embarrassment, mate. 

You're upset that you cant listen to a free podcast during your MMO sessions? 

Seriously? 

Fuck.
ColMirage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By ColMirage

I currently have no income, and even if I did, Paypal is not supported yet so I wouldn't be able to pay.
Also, none of the benefits are of interest to me, certainly not for 50$/year. I don't care about the Bombcast so I don't feel like I'm losing out on anything by being unable to pay.  

Sucks for those that do but are in my situation, though.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#80  Edited By c_rakestraw

Nothing much. Just haven't got the money at the moment. The lack of Paypal doesn't help either, though.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By ch13696
@hilld1985 said:
" @ch13696 said:
" After people kept going on about "it's only $0.14 a day", I just gave up. I got tired of hearing that crap. If Whiskey Media wants to do a per-day subscription model then they will. So because of those people, I'm not subscribing.  Oh, and also the bombcast split. Way to take away something I can listen to while playing an MMO. "
You're a fucking embarrassment, mate.  You're upset that you cant listen to a free podcast during your MMO sessions?  Seriously?  Fuck. "
I'm the fuckin embarrassment "mate"? If you have a problem what I do then move the fuck on. Get the hell out of our American site and go back to where ever the hell you're from. 

Fuckin douche.
hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#82  Edited By hermes

For the exact opposite reason that I joined this place (and I did, since day 1): When GB started I enjoyed it for the community, the approachability of the crew and its display of priority on journalism integrity and good content over greedy executive suits policies. This last move makes me doubt that same reason... 

I wouldn't have problems with it if it were truly to support the site, and no attempt of splitting the content and the community was made (the different podcasts, as will as the gold medals... poor taste), as originally stated.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By ch3burashka

I have a netbook and no smartphone AKA no way of actually using the service.

hilld1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By hilld1985
@ch13696 said:
" @hilld1985 said:
" @ch13696 said:
You're a fucking embarrassment, mate.  You're upset that you cant listen to a free podcast during your MMO sessions?  Seriously?  Fuck. "
I'm the fuckin embarrassment "mate"? If you have a problem what I do then move the fuck on. Get the hell out of our American site and go back to where ever the hell you're from.  Fuckin douche. "
Ah, xenophobic tendencies. 

Should have guessed.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By ch13696
@hilld1985 said:
" @ch13696 said:
" @hilld1985 said:
" @ch13696 said:
I'm the fuckin embarrassment "mate"? If you have a problem what I do then move the fuck on. Get the hell out of our American site and go back to where ever the hell you're from.  Fuckin douche. "
Ah, xenophobic tendencies.  Should have guessed. "
Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Famov

If previously free things become membership content, I will not care all that much. Unless they take away my Gameroom quicklooks. Then I'll be indignant and internet angry.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#87  Edited By Tireyo

Can't afford it.

chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#88  Edited By chstupid

If I paid money for every website I go to I would be broke. I think advertisers need to pay websites more for ad's so I don't have to pay for the sites I go to. Plus I don't use a credit card.
sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Decided to do the monthly plan.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#90  Edited By FluxWaveZ

No Paypal support.

NZV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By NZV

Something about holding a major site feature for ransom just doesn't sit right with me. I don't even listen to the bombcast, but it's still a little troubling. If they just asked for donations I'd probably toss some money in even though I'm pretty strapped right now and do not care about any of the other benefits whatsoever, but the way Whiskey Media is going about this just isn't the right way to do it. So GB will have to suffice with my Adblock whitelist, I suppose.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'm concerned I won't be able to pay my rent.

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

Too expensive. And all the bombcast shit.

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By SpiralStairs

I don't watch or listen to the bombcast

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Djeffers03

Because I don't have my own credit card and because the new features aren't worth the money to me. 

Other than the stupid fucking bombcast thing I fully support whiskey media with all this, despite my lack of enthusiasm for it all.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#97  Edited By AV_Gamer
@pbhawks45: 

That's pretty much why I didn't nor will I ever pay. They basically conned everyone. First they start the sites with a Wiki feature so you added all the information without them doing it themselves for thousands of Video Games, Comics, Anime,  and other subject matters. You have people on here with huge amount of Wiki points for editing the sites and helping them grow. Now WM puts a price on it and tell people they have to play for the website they helped build. It's a horrible thing to do. 
Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Osaladin

Mainly because I think $50 is too much, regardless of what features they have, and it is even more so for the poor excuse for premium features they have now. They may add additional features, and that's great, maybe I'll change my mind then. As it is right now though, what they are selling isn't worth $50. This isn't charity, If I'm going to pay for a product, then the product has to be worth it in my eyes. Of course I want to support the team, (I could care less about the other Whiskey sites) but as most are very clearly stating, it is a business, not a charity. As a business, it is up to them to offer us a worthy product.  

Also, holding the bombcast ransom is in very bad taste.

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Damien
@pbhawks45:  What you said.  It's all about principle.  Now, GB is just like the companies they bashed on the Bombcast.  Hypocrisy.
Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Scullinator
@Osaladin said:
" Mainly because I think $50 is too much, regardless of what features they have, and it is even more so for the poor excuse for premium features they have now. They may add additional features, and that's great, maybe I'll change my mind then. As it is right now though, what they are selling isn't worth $50. This isn't charity, If I'm going to pay for a product, then the product has to be worth it in my eyes. Of course I want to support the team, (I could care less about the other Whiskey sites) but as most are very clearly stating, it is a business, not a charity. As a business, it is up to them to offer us a worthy product.   Also, holding the bombcast ransom is in very bad taste. "
Ditto what this guy said.  He is right on.