#1 Posted by Demoskinos (15143 posts) -

So I've been on a nostalgia tip of sorts lately while I wait for the fall releases I'm excited for. I've been playing a lot of DOA 4 which is 7 years old people. That game came out in 2005! And also just recently purchased Tony Hawk Project 8 which came out in 2006 and is now 6 years oldb.

I've been having multiple instances like this recently where I completely forgot some of these games came out and have these "Oh shit! That was a thing wasn't it?!" moments. Which just goes to show how bizzare this generation is that there are games nearly 10 years old for current hardware.

Anyone else been digging through older games recently?

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Funny you should mention that: I've been spending a lot of time with Trauma Center: Second Opinion recently. I forgot how physically tiring that game can get, and how brief that suicide subplot is. (For whatever reason, I remembered it being a bigger part of the game than it actually was.)

#3 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

I've been playing GTA: San Andreas (because, for some reason, the system requirements of GTA IV are ridiculously high, even 4 years later) lately, which, unless I'm mistaken, came out in 2005. It still feels a bit too soon to be playing it again though.

#4 Posted by Zenogiasu (193 posts) -

I'm nostalgic for Call of Duty 2 on the 360. This is before multiplayer had perks and whatnot, and I kicked some serious ass. I've never been able to break into CoD online since; way too fast-paced for me, I suppose.

#5 Posted by believer258 (12185 posts) -

I've got a bit of nostalgia for Halo 3, which is weird because that was 2008 for me and I didn't get to play 1 and 2 proper until Christmas of '07.

#6 Posted by Inkerman (1455 posts) -

@Zenogiasu said:

I'm nostalgic for Call of Duty 2 on the 360. This is before multiplayer had perks and whatnot, and I kicked some serious ass. I've never been able to break into CoD online since; way too fast-paced for me, I suppose.

I think I still like CoD2's multiplayer the best.

#7 Posted by BigDaddy81 (330 posts) -

I still pop in Earth Defense Force 2017 every once in a while. Still think it's one of the best shooters for the 360.

#8 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11393 posts) -

I guess Dead Rising is the only current gen game that I have nostalgia for. Partly because it's an older game, and partly because like many games that people are nostalgic about, if you go back to play it, well, it's better left to memories. At least I think so.

#9 Posted by Maginnovision (487 posts) -

I played project 8 the other day and remembered why I stopped playing project 8.I have no nostalgia for and 360/ps3 stuff though, it's just not that old.

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (15143 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan I can deal with older 360 games and later PS2/XBOX stuff
where it gets rough for me is old PSone stuff. Whew them pixels could poke am eye out.
#11 Posted by ShaggE (6699 posts) -

I do love to compare launch titles with end (or near end) titles, and this gen has been particularly interesting in that respect. I mean, imagine if Max Payne 3 had come out in the 360's early years... so many bricks would have been shat. We are stretching that hardware really, really far.

#12 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2730 posts) -

I get a little nostalgic every time I turn on Call of Duty 4. It was the first console multi-player shooter I really got into.

#13 Posted by DukesT3 (1945 posts) -

I have Amped.. the only early 360 game I own right now. Those scenes made it worth the purchase.

#14 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I played Perfect Dark Zero again recently.

#15 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

I sometimes play Halo 3 online. Still never got a 50 ranking (my highest was 45) and I am still missing 1 achievement (which pisses me off). It's really weird to think about where I was in my life in 2007/2008 compared to now. I spent a lot of time with that game and it feels so long ago.

#16 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1212 posts) -

Dead Rising (naturally). Thinking about another Infinity Mode run pretty soon.

#17 Posted by Pezen (1668 posts) -

Yeah it's crazy, I had one of those "let's play some of the early games I own" and either I was surprised how much they had aged in either graphics or gameplay or I was still tired of the game. So definitely too soon to sit down and get nostalgic about this generation.

@Jrinswand: Oh man, I pop that in once in a while just to ride around on the bike at sunset. Or cruise the streets in my pimped out lowrider blasting classic tunes. Loved that game, probably my personal GTA favorite of them all.

#18 Posted by Loafsmooch (365 posts) -

@BigDaddy81 said:

I still pop in Earth Defense Force 2017 every once in a while. Still think it's one of the best shooters for the 360.

Me too man. That game had such immersion in a crappy b-movie sort of way.

#19 Edited by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

The other day I popped in Modern Warfare. It still holds up, and I still enjoy the campaign more than MW2 or MW3.

#20 Posted by Morningstar (2239 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@MooseyMcMan I can deal with older 360 games and later PS2/XBOX stuff where it gets rough for me is old PSone stuff. Whew them pixels could poke am eye out.

I just played through Final Fantasy 8, and it was beautiful!

#21 Posted by mlarrabee (3060 posts) -
#22 Posted by Demoskinos (15143 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

I do love to compare launch titles with end (or near end) titles, and this gen has been particularly interesting in that respect. I mean, imagine if Max Payne 3 had come out in the 360's early years... so many bricks would have been shat. We are stretching that hardware really, really far.

Indeed. The first slew of games the idea of "HD" was to make everything like it was made of plastic Perfect Dark Zero was a notable offender in this capacity.

#23 Posted by Hunter5024 (5962 posts) -

I get a little nostalgic for the first Uncharted I suppose. This generation has gone on too long.

#24 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@Morningstar said:

@Demoskinos said:

@MooseyMcMan I can deal with older 360 games and later PS2/XBOX stuff where it gets rough for me is old PSone stuff. Whew them pixels could poke am eye out.

I just played through Final Fantasy 8, and it was beautiful! now I'm blind.

FTFY ;)

#25 Posted by Akeldama (4257 posts) -

@Guided_By_Tigers said:

I played Perfect Dark Zero again recently.

I'm sorry to hear that.

#26 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11393 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

I meant game play wise, not graphically. Yes, Dead Rising was always clunky, but it got a pass early in the 360's life because of how many zombies were on screen. Now, without the "wow," it's just a bad melee combat game.

#27 Posted by Demoskinos (15143 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan: I don't think I can agree there. I still like a number of old titles. Of course this is all opinions.

#28 Posted by ascholzk (261 posts) -

I played some Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts a few weeks ago. Man, I really loved that game so much back when it came out. And to think that it is only 4 years old is crazy to me.

#29 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8606 posts) -

Its funny to see how high some titles got rated or hyped (Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero) but when you play them now you're having trouble just getting through the game because its systems are almost a generation old and feel sluggish and boring.

#30 Edited by MocBucket62 (1259 posts) -
@Jrinswand: Actually you're a year off. San Andreas came out in 2004. Also that's weird that a 2008 game like GTA IV still has extremely high requirements to play for PC.

For me, I've been playing Rome Total War again and to me its still the best Total War  maybe until Rome 2 comes out next year. For this generation I did a play through of the first Uncharted and its a decent game, but nothing compared to 2 and 3. Also I plan on playing games like Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction and Super Mario Galaxy and see if they still hold up even if they're nearly 5 years old.
#31 Posted by PenguinDust (12627 posts) -

A couple of weeks ago I spent the afternoon playing the campaign for Rainbow Six Vegas 1. It was a lot of fun and very different than your typical modern day shooter.

#32 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (731 posts) -

@LooseChange said:

I have Amped.. the only early 360 game I own right now. Those scenes made it worth the purchase.

I love Amped 3. The cutscenes and art design are so zany but they're awesome. I still play it from time to time.

Recently I've been playing Burnout 3 Takedown. Why don't they make games like this anymore? It's soooo fun!

#33 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1539 posts) -

I've played a few 2005/6 Xbox 360 games and most of them have aged quite well.  I'm sure once they stop making new games, I'll eventually go back and play a lot of the older games.

#34 Posted by Mordi (553 posts) -

I got way nostalgic about Perfect Dark Zero a few years ago! It's quite weird, really.

It's weird to think that Halo 2 is as old now, as Diablo 1 was when Halo 2 came out..!

#35 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

I'm playing through GTA IV and its subsequent expansions since its been a while since i played anything similar to that, whats weird is even though this generation i have referred to almost all additional content for a game as DLC only GTA and oblivion have had what i would consider expansions by the older standards.

#36 Posted by Zippedbinders (1034 posts) -

@MocBucket62 said:

@Jrinswand: Actually you're a year off. San Andreas came out in 2004. Also that's weird that a 2008 game like GTA IV still has extremely high requirements to play for PC. For me, I've been playing Rome Total War again and to me its still the best Total War maybe until Rome 2 comes out next year. For this generation I did a play through of the first Uncharted and its a decent game, but nothing compared to 2 and 3. Also I plan on playing games like Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction and Super Mario Galaxy and see they still hold up even if they're nearly 5 years old.

Galaxy absolutely holds up, but Tools of Destruction is quite possibly the worst of the core Ratchet games. It feels uninspired and kind of grind-y. Even Deadlocked is better.

I have almost zero 360 nostalgia, I'm just old enough that it doesn't feel that long ago? Also i've been picking up lots of older games I've missed out on over the years, like Xbox 1 exclusives and PS2 games that seemed interesting but I didn't want to pay more than $5 for.

#37 Edited by MocBucket62 (1259 posts) -
@Zippedbinders said:

Galaxy absolutely holds up, but Tools of Destruction is quite possibly the worst of the core Ratchet games. It feels uninspired and kind of grind-y. Even Deadlocked is better.

I have almost zero 360 nostalgia, I'm just old enough that it doesn't feel that long ago? Also i've been picking up lots of older games I've missed out on over the years, like Xbox 1 exclusives and PS2 games that seemed interesting but I didn't want to pay more than $5 for.

Ha! You're the second person on Giantbomb who told me Tools of Destruction is the worst core Ratchet game. Yeah I'll cross that off my list.

As for my feelings for the 360, I don't own one, so I have no nostalgic memories except for playing a few 360 games like Perfect Dark Zero over at a friend's house during my high school days.