Nostalgic

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Edited By BiG_Weasel

I often find myself longing for the days of yore, back when each new game released was an event, and the subtle differences between similar games is what really made them stand out. As much as I enjoy today's games, I find the "newness" factor underwhelming. Could it be that I'm jaded, bored, and just plain old? My achy knee and increasing midsection would like to weigh in on that...

Recently, I've come to discover the joys of digging up old games- favorites of years past- and replaying them with the same gusto I had when they were released. As of the time of writing, I'm enjoying playing through the Legacy of Kain series on PC (I played them on PSX and PS2 back in the day).  I was thoroughly wrapped up in the storyline, the characters, and the world of Nosgoth when I first came across these games a decade or more ago.

Even now, I still enjoy picking up Mega Man's NES adventures on a nearly yearly (yes, I rhymed!) basis just for laughs. And what year would be complete without a stroll through Castlevania on or around Halloweeen? Just this past Christmas, I bought my 10-year old daughter a copy of Chrono Trigger for her DS, and she really has gotten into it whole-heartedly. She'll even admit that its a better game that a lot of the newer titles that have came out, Pokemon included.

Maybe there's something about the "charm" of the old school games that today's games are lacking. Everything on the market today marketed to the "core" gaming audience has to be cutting-edge, gritty, and adult-minded. What happened to the cutesy characters who had engaging gameplay, tongue-in-cheek humor, and were just plain fun? I was hoping the Wii would do that, but they've gotten too "niche" with the motion controls.

But, there's always hope. Some of the downloadable titles I've seen (Yay, Mega Man 9!) really spark that orignal feeling I had when 2D sidescrollers were the rage- that feeling of joy, of excitement, of youth.  Maybe, just maybe someone's paying attention. Maybe, against all hope, we'll see these games make a comeback. Maybe I won't have to dig up an NES in the future.

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By BiG_Weasel

I often find myself longing for the days of yore, back when each new game released was an event, and the subtle differences between similar games is what really made them stand out. As much as I enjoy today's games, I find the "newness" factor underwhelming. Could it be that I'm jaded, bored, and just plain old? My achy knee and increasing midsection would like to weigh in on that...

Recently, I've come to discover the joys of digging up old games- favorites of years past- and replaying them with the same gusto I had when they were released. As of the time of writing, I'm enjoying playing through the Legacy of Kain series on PC (I played them on PSX and PS2 back in the day).  I was thoroughly wrapped up in the storyline, the characters, and the world of Nosgoth when I first came across these games a decade or more ago.

Even now, I still enjoy picking up Mega Man's NES adventures on a nearly yearly (yes, I rhymed!) basis just for laughs. And what year would be complete without a stroll through Castlevania on or around Halloweeen? Just this past Christmas, I bought my 10-year old daughter a copy of Chrono Trigger for her DS, and she really has gotten into it whole-heartedly. She'll even admit that its a better game that a lot of the newer titles that have came out, Pokemon included.

Maybe there's something about the "charm" of the old school games that today's games are lacking. Everything on the market today marketed to the "core" gaming audience has to be cutting-edge, gritty, and adult-minded. What happened to the cutesy characters who had engaging gameplay, tongue-in-cheek humor, and were just plain fun? I was hoping the Wii would do that, but they've gotten too "niche" with the motion controls.

But, there's always hope. Some of the downloadable titles I've seen (Yay, Mega Man 9!) really spark that orignal feeling I had when 2D sidescrollers were the rage- that feeling of joy, of excitement, of youth.  Maybe, just maybe someone's paying attention. Maybe, against all hope, we'll see these games make a comeback. Maybe I won't have to dig up an NES in the future.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kush

Moved to GD.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#3  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I'd felt similarly for a few years - Final Fantasy X was the last game I played that really had that "new" feel to it for quite a while.  2008 really changed my mind, especially when Fable 2 and Fallout 3 were released.  Both those games blew me away, and it was the first time in years that I felt the hype of a game lived up to its potential.  Fable 2 feels like a reinvention of one of my favorite series of games - Quest for Glory - and I loved the world it created.  Everything about it felt spot-on, exactly what I wanted in a fantasy world.  And Fallout 3 is just a spectacular pinnacle of gaming for me.  It's all that I wanted from a sequel to Fallout 2, and it's a game I'll revisit countless times in countless ways.

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Gameboi

I kind of long for that wide-eyed anticipation myself. I still enjoy games, but the excitement isn't  what it used to be. Maybe I'm just getting old and jaded.

JohngPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By JohngPR

I don't know, I find that more than half of the games I used to really enjoy back in the day can only hold my interest for an hour or two before I grow tired of them again.

There are tons of exceptions (Super Dodgeball, Ducktales, Super Mario World, I could go on and on) but I'm really happing with the current generation so far.  Games like MGS4, LBP, and Fallout 3 have made me a very happy gamer.