• 54 results
#1 Posted by ShinjiEx (624 posts) -

in the ass!

With all the solid titles hitting this Fall & Winter into 2014

GTA V Splinter Cell Black List Battlefield 4 COD Ghosts

Not to mention other titles like MGS and Final Fantasy games officially coming to PS3

Why buy PS4 an or Xbox One when all the kewl kids are gonna be playing the games I mentioned?

I think hardware is gonna be a tough sale in general late this year and through out 2014

As a gamer I would have bought a PS4 sooner than later if I could play PS3 disc games on it...

P.S. After playing The Last of Us do we really need next gen yet?

#2 Edited by Andorski (5268 posts) -

BF4 and CoD:G will be on next gen consoles as well. GTA V is the only real stinger.

#3 Edited by MetalBaofu (1373 posts) -

Unless my PS3 becomes inactive when my PS4 gets here, I don't care.

#4 Edited by Nightriff (4991 posts) -

No it doesn't, if it was a major problem people would already be complaining about it by now. Most people care about used games and whether they can borrow and lend them to friends. And two of the 4 games you listed are already going to be on PS4 and Xone.

Correction: 4 of 6 - COD, BF4, MGS5 and FF all will be on the new consoles

#5 Edited by StrainedEyes (1323 posts) -

GTA is coming out two months before the new consoles do. Plenty of time to play it.

Battlefield and COD are both coming to the new consoles at launch, and will be better versions.

Who cares about Splinter Cell.

MGS and Final Fantasy are coming out on next gen.

Dark Souls II is the only game that I'm bummed about... but I am going to keep my PS3 so I can continue to partake in the free PS+ games every month.

#6 Posted by jimmyfenix (3852 posts) -

Sigh not this again

#7 Posted by Nodima (1164 posts) -

All I'm worried about is bringing PS+ libraries over to PS4. I don't plan on getting one at LEAST until Infamous Second Son comes out (more likely, whenever I get my tax return and it becomes a "free" purchase) but if I can't bring a lot of those PS+ games over (especially competitive ones like SSFIV:AE and Fight Night: Champion) then I don't really have much incentive to switch other than a cool new OS and a free copy of Drive Club.

#8 Posted by Demoskinos (14767 posts) -

@shinjiex: Because all the "kewl" kids are going to have both.

#9 Posted by danm_999 (74 posts) -

It does indeed bite them in the launch window, especially since there are a few big multiplatform games you mention that won't be cross gen/split gen.

However, I'd say both companies are willing to take on this short term disadvantage, because long term, everything will be split/cross gen or next gen only, and the cost of making fully backwards compatible systems is a huge headache of a cost (especially for Sony, given how badly Cell development turned out, and how differently it'll be from the PS4's architecture). Both companies are playing the long game here.

#10 Edited by BIGJEFFREY (4951 posts) -

This aint going anywhere

Also i might just not get a next gen console and just play GTA 5 on 360 until actual good games come to next gen consoles

Also PS4 will be getting that Gaikai service that will stream PS1/PS2/PS3 games, theoretically it wont be HOT GARBAGE like Onlive.

#11 Posted by StrainedEyes (1323 posts) -

@nodima said:

All I'm worried about is bringing PS+ libraries over to PS4. I don't plan on getting one at LEAST until Infamous Second Son comes out (more likely, whenever I get my tax return and it becomes a "free" purchase) but if I can't bring a lot of those PS+ games over (especially competitive ones like SSFIV:AE and Fight Night: Champion) then I don't really have much incentive to switch other than a cool new OS and a free copy of Drive Club.

You won't be able to. PS3 software can not run on a PS4.

#12 Edited by MooseyMcMan (10910 posts) -

"P.S. After playing The Last of Us do we really need next gen yet?"

Never mind the fact that The Last of Us is a pretty small scale completely linear game and next gen open world games already look a lot better than that.

Moderator Online
#13 Posted by Hunkulese (2698 posts) -

@nodima: I'm not sure you understand what backward compatibility means.

#14 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1028 posts) -

I like the idea of having backwards compatibility in my consoles, but its a feature i never use, with the exception of PS1 games. Played one or two PS2 games on my PS3, but i have played a fair amount of PS1 games on my PS2 and PS3 over the years. And i also still have those consoles laying around so it is really more a convenience then a need for me.

#15 Posted by Kidavenger (3531 posts) -

Wii U and Vita are backwards compatible...

Chew on that for awhile.

#16 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1584 posts) -

@shinjiex said:

The Last of Us had amazing writing, great cinematic direction, solid level design, and intense combat. It also had somewhat frequent drops to sub 20 FPS, was only 720p, had a staggeringly long initial load time, and looked monumentally better in cutscenes than it did in actual gameplay.

All of the good things I mentioned were outstanding, and made The Last of Us one of the best games I've ever played, but they also have nothing to do with horsepower. All of the shortcomings I just mentioned could have been addressed by superior hardware.

The best elements of The Last of Us have nothing to do hardware power, so concluding that its extremely high quality means anything about the "need" for a new generation is a false correlation.

#17 Edited by Nodima (1164 posts) -

on the subject of The Last of Us, I thought a lot of the in-game environments looked pretty bad compared to past Naughty Dog work. I mean, it was all fine, I was playing on a 20" CRT in 480p until a year ago when I came up on a 55" HDMI setup, I'm no graphics snob. But it was noticeable.

@strainedeyes said:

@nodima said:

And yet they keep alluding to the fact that doesn't matter thanks to Da Cloud 2K14.

We'll see.

@hunkulese I understand that you probably think I care at all about using my discs on the system; the only disc I've bought for the past 3 years was each iteration of NBA 2K. Everything else is digital, and I'd like to take solace in the fact I'll still "own" and "be able to play" those games on another iteration of the same ecosystem at some point.

#18 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

I wish this was true so next-gen consoles would actually have backwards compatibility, but unfortunately that is not the case. The vast, vast majority of gamers won't be concerned about lack of backwards compatibility and will by the next gen consoles anyways because of increased graphics, speed, and hopefully more stable frame-rates. Those who desire backwards compatibility enough to not buy a new console because of it 1. probably don't exist, and 2. are probably the same type of people who were going to wait on purchasing a next gen console anyways.

#19 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

Fitting a PS3 into the PS4 or a 360 into an Xbox One would probably be pretty tough.

#20 Posted by bushpusherr (778 posts) -

Those consoles would not be at those price points if they had backwards compatibility. It's not just a switch that they could decide to flip on and everything would work great. The PS3 especially had a completely different architecture. I'd rather those systems remained as affordable as possible, my 360 and PS3 aren't going anywhere.

#21 Edited by pweidman (2325 posts) -

Not an issue anymore, same as last gen for the most part, and since both PS3 and 360 will be living onward it is really very moot.

#22 Edited by eskimo (476 posts) -

While locking my digital library to last gen hardware is not acceptable to me personally, they're already selling out on pre orders, so it doesnt seem to bothering the masses for now.

#23 Posted by ShinjiEx (624 posts) -

I forgot Saints Row 4 and Beyond Two Souls LOL ^__^

#24 Posted by Nightriff (4991 posts) -

@kidavenger said:

Chew on that for awhile.

Ouch

#25 Edited by Korwin (2846 posts) -

Chew on that for awhile.

Wii U and Wii are both PowerPC machines so it's the same basic architecture, PSP was an old MIPS chip and not exactly costly to emulate.

#26 Posted by joshwent (2172 posts) -

Can't you just shove your old console in the new one's disk slot like the 32x. I'm pretty sure you can. Try it.

#27 Posted by Korwin (2846 posts) -

@joshwent said:

Can't you just shove your old console in the new one's disk slot like the 32x. I'm pretty sure you can. Try it.

Only with a dongle, I fucking love a good dongle.

#28 Posted by CheapPoison (727 posts) -

I think it sucks for the consumer, but i think it will only be a factor for early adopters/early in the generation. As soon as the new generation is in full swing and the last waves of games are done for the old system it will even out.
And there is something to be said that every launch is mostly like this, with maybe 1 or 2 games that get hype, but are there actual a lot of winners in launch lineups?

#29 Posted by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

lol

#30 Posted by Hailinel (24405 posts) -

GTA is coming out two months before the new consoles do. Plenty of time to play it.

Battlefield and COD are both coming to the new consoles at launch, and will be better versions.

Who cares about Splinter Cell.

MGS and Final Fantasy are coming out on next gen.

Dark Souls II is the only game that I'm bummed about... but I am going to keep my PS3 so I can continue to partake in the free PS+ games every month.

Lightning Returns is a PS3/360 game and isn't coming until next February. I imagine other games will be the same way. Remember Persona 3 and 4? Both games were released after the PS3. As long as Sony and Microsoft support publishers releasing titles on the PS3 and 360, there will likely be games for them. It's just a shame that in order to play them, both companies expect people to keep both the old and new consoles around and hooked up.

#31 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

@kidavenger said:

Chew on that for awhile.

Ouch

Ouch? The Wii U and Vita are my main systems :(

#32 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

@nightriff said:

@kidavenger said:

Chew on that for awhile.

Ouch

Ouch? The Wii U and Vita are my main systems :(

lol

#33 Edited by Darson (450 posts) -

Wait a bit after they come out and there will be the "stackable console" proprietary accessory that allows you to stack all 7 of your ex-box models without wasting any more space on these fucking pieces of over-priced shit fuck.

#34 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

Most or better all of the new major game releases in October/November are also coming to next gen consoles. Only problem for Sony would be GT6 here.

#35 Posted by Soap (3577 posts) -

@shinjiex said:

Omg yes. Absolutely. Don't get me wrong, I loved that game but I can't even imagine how much nicer it would of looked on next generation, my PS3 was practically on fire and some of the textures in that game were SHOCKINGLY bad. (Never look at the floor.)

#36 Posted by MattyFTM (14368 posts) -

Even if it did have backwards compatibility, why spend ~$400 on a brand new console when you are able to play the best new-releases on your current console? Adding backwards compatibility doesn't solve the problem.

But the problem exists every generation. There are always more quality games coming out on the last gen consoles than on newly released consoles. But that's OK. People don't buy new consoles on launch for the games. New consoles never have good games. People buy it to have a shiny new box under their TV, and to have the latest thing. As more good games come out for the new consoles, more people will adopt it. Console adoption is a gradual thing. Everyone didn't walk out and buy a 360 or PS3 on day one, but the consoles gradually built up a massive library of quality games, and a large consumer base. The next gen consoles will do the same.

Moderator Online
#37 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Try to understand that backwards compatibility was just a happy accident when Sony used old PS1 chipsets for controlling power on the PS2. They put BC in there just for the hell of it.

The Wii had BC only because it's basically a GC 1.5 and the X360 had some shoddy software-emulation that only worked with 100 games or so just because the hardware had a similar architecture.

On the earlier PS3 models the PS2 chipset(emotion engine) was soldelred to the PS3 mobo, but this was deemed too expensive and they dropped it.(there was software emulation on some EU models, but I'm pretty sure it had some kind of hardware help that acted like the EE.)

Seeing as the PS3 had probably the worst kind of architecture of any console to date(The Cell) and it was a bitch to program for,(we didn't get decent multiplats that were on par with the 360 until 2009) I can see why they dropped support for it on the PS4. They would literally have to have another PS3 in the system to make it play PS3 games, since they're now going with X86(much easier to program for, think PC) instead of some inhouse developed cpu. Gaikai is your best bet though, but that's over net with delay like Onlive.

Just keep your old PS3 around. I plan on doing that too.

#38 Posted by Otacon (2209 posts) -

As someone with one hell of a backlog that's built up since 2010, it is a little annoying, but I'm just keeping my PS3 hooked up for a while longer. Perhaps wanting to eventually put the thing in the cupboard will spur me on to play all these games I've been meaning to play!

#39 Posted by Veektarius (4772 posts) -

@darson said:

Wait a bit after they come out and there will be the "stackable console" proprietary accessory that allows you to stack all 7 of your ex-box models without wasting any more space on these fucking pieces of over-priced shit fuck.

Do the processors work in parallel when you do that? So you have like an X-supercomputer?

#40 Posted by Morningstar (2150 posts) -

I'll echo this statement.

#41 Posted by Humanity (9054 posts) -

I made a special point of getting the old fatty 60gb PS3 that had full backwards compatibility and then proceeded to never use it once.

I tried it out with Persona 3 and while having a virtual memory card was kind of neat I had next gen games to play.

Granted, I know there are tons of people that love replaying old games to this day, but I'm not one of them.

#42 Posted by Tesla (1919 posts) -

Backwards compatibility sounded amazing when I was switching from PS1 to PS2. But in practice I never really used it much, and these days if I feel like say playing Onimusha I have no qualms about pulling the PS2 out of the closet and having a go at it.

If you're going back to the past to play some old console games anyway, might as well complete the nostalgic experience by dusting off the old hardware too.

#43 Edited by thatdutchguy (1271 posts) -

@korwin said:

@joshwent said:

Only with a dongle, I fucking love a good dongle.

I bet you do.

#44 Posted by Yadilie (380 posts) -

@tesla: SAMANOUUUUUSKE

God the original Onimusha. There will never another game like that. Man those Critical Attacks. Definition of hype.

#45 Posted by s10129107 (1183 posts) -

Backwards compatibility handicaps the console for no good reason. Not a lot of people want to buy last gen games on current gen consoles anyway.

#46 Posted by Hunkulese (2698 posts) -

@nodima said:

on the subject of The Last of Us, I thought a lot of the in-game environments looked pretty bad compared to past Naughty Dog work. I mean, it was all fine, I was playing on a 20" CRT in 480p until a year ago when I came up on a 55" HDMI setup, I'm no graphics snob. But it was noticeable.

@strainedeyes said:

@nodima said:

And yet they keep alluding to the fact that doesn't matter thanks to Da Cloud 2K14.

We'll see.

@hunkulese I understand that you probably think I care at all about using my discs on the system; the only disc I've bought for the past 3 years was each iteration of NBA 2K. Everything else is digital, and I'd like to take solace in the fact I'll still "own" and "be able to play" those games on another iteration of the same ecosystem at some point.

So clearly you don't understand what backwards compatibility is. It has nothing to do with the disc and the PS3 and PS4 both use blu-ray discs. Games are programmed for a certain architecture and if they don't include that architecture or an emulator they won't run. There is no difference between a disc copy and a digital copy.

#47 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2689 posts) -

Pretty much THIS^ is my opinion. Also, I want to play Watch_Dogs on a new system because that seems like a lunch game that seemingly has solid gameplay, but will be enhanced by modern connectivity and power. Also, I sort of feel like it would be a nice gesture to support Knack and Mark Cerney in turn. t's not the sort of game I would normally try...but I like the effort and thinking behind it.

#49 Posted by Tesla (1919 posts) -

@yadilie: Oh yeah, I forgot how awesome landing one of those was! Haha, good stuff.

#50 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

It's no big deal. 360 only had backwards compatibility because of Halo 2, I'm sure. PS3 only had it for like 10 minutes. They both did fine.