Now that a new Kid Icarus has finally been released, what old property should Nintendo revive next?

• 89 results
DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#51  Edited By DarkShaper

@Andorski: Thanks, I feel like a massive idiot now :P.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By prestonhedges
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#53  Edited By LordAndrew
@crusader8463 said:

@Hailinel said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Why don't you play the current game and enjoy it before you anticipate the next Nintendo revival?

I am. I'm enjoying Kid Icarus immensely, in fact. But that doesn't mean that this isn't a fun subject of discussion.

@crusader8463 said:

Brace yourself for this radical and crazy idea, but what if, stay with me here, what if they made something NEW instead of milking their old franchises? I KNOW! I know! It's crazy.

Making a game in a franchise for the first time in over twenty years is milking?

No, but all Nintendo does is rely on nostalgia to remake a bunch of their old games. Would be nice to see them try to make something new rather then just dust off some old series and make that their new thing to milk into the ground for a few years. I'm sure they have a ton of creative people over there, and I would just like to see them come up with something from the ground up rather then just make more of what they already have.

You should check out Nintendo's downloadable games. Discounting the Virtual Console games for obvious reasons, almost every single one of them is original.
freewilly5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By freewilly5

@believer258: You realize that Monolith Soft is a subsidiary of Nintendo. They just made the fantastic rpg Xenoblade, therefore Nintendo has made a "real" rpg. Also the Paper Mario series is more the core Nintendo people working on an rpg, those games are also great.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#55  Edited By evanbower

@crusader8463 said:

Brace yourself for this radical and crazy idea, but what if, stay with me here, what if they made something NEW instead of milking their old franchises? I KNOW! I know! It's crazy.

I mean... Kid Icarus is new, in any relevant sense. The game has next to nothing to do with the original, and the market that both remembers Kid Icarus and owns a 3DS certainly wouldn't be enough to convince Nintendo to "milk" the franchise. Clearly the reason for the games existence is game makers fondness for the series, not unoriginality on Nintendo's part.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#56  Edited By Hailinel

@believer258 said:

@crusader8463 said:

@Hailinel said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Why don't you play the current game and enjoy it before you anticipate the next Nintendo revival?

I am. I'm enjoying Kid Icarus immensely, in fact. But that doesn't mean that this isn't a fun subject of discussion.

@crusader8463 said:

Making a game in a franchise for the first time in over twenty years is milking?

No, but all Nintendo does is rely on nostalgia to remake a bunch of their old games. Would be nice to see them try to make something new rather then just dust off some old series and make that their new thing to milk into the ground for a few years. I'm sure they have a ton of creative people over there, and I would just like to see them come up with something from the ground up rather then just make more of what they already have.

I've been saying this for a while. Nintendo should try their hands at survival horror...

I'm kidding. Sort of. Anyway, I'd like to see Nintendo make a full-blown RPG. Not Zelda. An RPG.

Actually, Nintendo published Fatal Frame IV in Japan, they're going to publish a Wii remake of Fatal Frame II this summer, and Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir, a Fatal Frame spin-off, comes out in North America next month.

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By spartanlolz92

starfox need to come backit would sell great to fans and kids

online mp battles = best of hope nintendo redeeming themselves in my eyes

BlaineBlaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By BlaineBlaine

Nintendo does turn out new 'IP'. Just from the past generation and a half, off the top of my head (and forgive me if any of these are 3rd party. I think these are 1st or 2nd party games):

• Steel Diver
  • Nintendogs
  • Pikmin
  • Captain Rainbow
  • Chibi Robo
  • Excite Trucks (eh, sorta)
  • Dillons Rolling Western
  • Wii **** Franchise (didn't say they were good franchises)
  • Rhythm Heaven and a dozen other mini-game collections
  • Brain Age
  • Disaster: Day of Crisis
  • Xenoblade
  • Diagasso Big Band Brothers
  • Magnetic Kid

If you go further back there's games that probably could be a franchise, but never did.

• Hak-kun
  • Joy Mech Fight
  • Cubivore
  • Marvelous

I'm sure there's more for both lists if you wanna dig and pull up Japan only titles. But remembering companies like Skip, Monolith Soft [JP], Brownie Brown and HAL are Nintendo (I think all are 100% owned by Nintendo, or close) there is new IP coming out.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By LordAndrew
Oh yeah, Steel Diver! I and probably everyone else forgot about that. 3DS launch title, released in the past year. Nintendo does make new stuff, but people don't seem all that interested too often.
Spankmealotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Spankmealotus

For the love of video games can we stop just reviving old properties and come up with new stuff.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see an F Zero game before any of those.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#62  Edited By AndrewB

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

L. None.

Ideal. There are some talented and creative people working for Nintendo studios, and I'd like to see them do something new.

@ShaggE said:

I want to see a new version of Donkey Kong (the original) done in a Namco Generations style.

And I'd like to see a new Donkey Kong like the one on the Gameboy. And don't tell me they already made one with Mario VS Donkey Kong and March of the Minis. I can't even see how they're considered "spiritual successors." They're puzzle games, and Donkey Kong was a puzzle platformer.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#63  Edited By Pepsiman

@LordAndrew said:

Wait, I just remembered. Isn't X-Scape on DSiWare a sequel to X? So we already got that one.

I was actually going to point this out myself. X-Scape is indeed a sequel to X and was even helmed by the original game's creator Dylan Cuthbert (and, by extension, Q-Games), so it's about as true of a sequel as one could ever hope. Like many eShop releases prior to the 3DS, Nintendo didn't really go out of its way to make the game's existence all that well-known, but it is certainly a thing one can purchase and play. That game, unlike the original, actually got a proper international release, too.

With regards to the actual thread itself, I always like to jokingly throw around the idea of a Clu-Clu Land revival because that seems like a game people are especially keen on forgetting Nintendo ever made, even if that amnesia isn't deliberate per se. If you wanted me to get semi-serious, I'd personally argue for the return of Famicom/Advance Wars series. It hasn't been that long since the last one on the DS (or the Wii, if you really want to go that route), but it's been dormant enough that I miss it. If you wanted to go more unconventional, I wouldn't mind seeing what a modern revival of something like Nazo no Murasamejou would look like and, as mentioned earlier, Joy Mech Fight would also be a potentially interesting candidate. Despite otherwise loathing the source material, I also find myself oddly drawn to a Championship Edition-esque version of Ice Climbers, but Nintendo doesn't seem to be all that keen on reviving its franchises that way.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#64  Edited By willin

What would a modern day Wrecking Crew game even be?

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Gaff

@LordAndrew said:

Oh yeah, Steel Diver! I and probably everyone else forgot about that. 3DS launch title, released in the past year. Nintendo does make new stuff, but people don't seem all that interested too often.

I had to look it up because I wasn't sure (or just vague memories, thanks old age) but... Steel Diver was a tech demo for the original DS, which makes the game technically 8 years old.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#66  Edited By DeeGee

F-Zero.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By LordAndrew
@Willin said:

What would a modern day Wrecking Crew game even be?

I don't know, but I'd certainly be interested in finding out. :-)
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Hailinel

@Pepsiman said:

@LordAndrew said:

Wait, I just remembered. Isn't X-Scape on DSiWare a sequel to X? So we already got that one.

I was actually going to point this out myself. X-Scape is indeed a sequel to X and was even helmed by the original game's creator Dylan Cuthbert (and, by extension, Q-Games), so it's about as true of a sequel as one could ever hope. Like many eShop releases prior to the 3DS, Nintendo didn't really go out of its way to make the game's existence all that well-known, but it is certainly a thing one can purchase and play. That game, unlike the original, actually got a proper international release, too.

With regards to the actual thread itself, I always like to jokingly throw around the idea of a Clu-Clu Land revival because that seems like a game people are especially keen on forgetting Nintendo ever made, even if that amnesia isn't deliberate per se. If you wanted me to get semi-serious, I'd personally argue for the return of Famicom/Advance Wars series. It hasn't been that long since the last one on the DS (or the Wii, if you really want to go that route), but it's been dormant enough that I miss it. If you wanted to go more unconventional, I wouldn't mind seeing what a modern revival of something like Nazo no Murasamejou would look like and, as mentioned earlier, Joy Mech Fight would also be a potentially interesting candidate. Despite otherwise loathing the source material, I also find myself oddly drawn to a Championship Edition-esque version of Ice Climbers, but Nintendo doesn't seem to be all that keen on reviving its franchises that way.

Nazo no Murasamejou actually got something of a remake/sequel in Samurai Warriors 3 in the Murasame Castle side mode. Make no mistake, the core of the game is still Samurai Warriors, but the challenges and enemies in the mode are taken straight from the Murasamejou playbook. The whole mode plays out like a sequel to the FDS game.

But yeah, I totally blanked on X-Scape when I made this poll. Though in my defense, that's sadly not a hard thing to do.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#69  Edited By ventilaator

Dude.

Modern Duck Hunt. By the Pacman Championship Edition DX team.

Dude

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#70  Edited By toowalrus

I want an edgy, dark, gritty version of the Ice Climbers, set in a world devastated by global climate change...

BlaineBlaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By BlaineBlaine

@Gaff said:

@LordAndrew said:

I had to look it up because I wasn't sure (or just vague memories, thanks old age) but... Steel Diver was a tech demo for the original DS, which makes the game technically 8 years old.

By that logic, you date a game by when it's in development but playable. That means Half Life 2: Episode 3 was out two years ago.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#72  Edited By Hector

Easy...EarthBound

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#73  Edited By Brackynews

Well, of those poll choices I went with Star Tropics, if only for the possibility that a hidden message will appear if I wash my DS/WiiU screen. Eat your heart out Uncharted.

@gladspooky: Glad to see someone likes my Sheriff pag.... holy hell that is hyperlink city over there... O_o That user loves to link...

@Hector: @DeeGee: F-Zero and Mother haven't really gone by the wayside yet, though... I bet WiiU will see another F-Zero, it's time. I assume Itoi-san could be contracted by Nintendo anytime they wanted to invest in Mother 4... the Xenoblade attention has reminded them that we love those RPGs, but seeing Mother 3 officially localised would still be a miracle at this point.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Gaff

@BlaineBlaine said:

@Gaff said:

@LordAndrew said:

By that logic, you date a game by when it's in development but playable. That means Half Life 2: Episode 3 was out two years ago.

Well, this could turn into a quick stab into Duke Nukem Forever, but let's not beat a dead horse, shall we?

But depending on the development history (Steel Diver being in continuous development since E3 2004, or an old idea being picked up in 2011), you could argue that Steel Diver isn't that new.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#75  Edited By Little_Socrates

F-Zero is the only Nintendo series I miss. I'd rather they develop new franchises, though.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#76  Edited By Black_Rose

If Nintendo doesn't make a new Wave Race for the WiiU I'm going to be really disappointed.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I just want a 3DS Kirby.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Kid Icarus because that game is not Kid Icarus in anything more than memes and platitudes.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#79  Edited By Lazyaza

I think it would be great if Nintendo did something new, different and entirely original and released it on non-Nintendo platforms.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#80  Edited By sirdesmond

I would really like to see them do something with Solar Striker (Gameboy Space Shooter). It's one of my favorite games on the system and I always thought it was odd that Nintendo made it.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#81  Edited By Slag

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hailinel:

But they did stop localizing them :P. However, as long as you're listing off obscure Nintendo franchises, I might as well one-up you with some Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru.

I wondered where Fire Emblem has been. Damn that sucks!

I voted for Star Tropics but I'd rather have localizations of Fire Emblem too.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#82  Edited By ZenaxPure

There is a horrible lack of Balloon Fight in this poll Hal, granted I have no idea how that could be turned into a modern game but I would vote for it anyway. 

Seriously though... Star Tropics needs to return. There is no reason the concept couldn't work as some sort of Action RPG, or just straight Action game in a 3D setting. Perhaps Nintendo doesn't want it getting in the way of Zelda, though, since the games share quite a few similarities.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#83  Edited By AuthenticM

I want a new Wrecking Crew.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#84  Edited By jacksukeru

@TooWalrus said:

I want an edgy, dark, gritty version of the Ice Climbers, set in a world devastated by global climate change...

The only food around is eggplants and condor meat. If you fail to get those you'll have to eat your partner.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#85  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

F-Zero, because it's practically been ten years since GX came out at this point. If I had to choose from the poll I'd go with Mach Rider though, just because I like the music.

ddensel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#86  Edited By ddensel

I'm dying for some next-gen F-Zero, but from that list, Ice Climbers would be pretty rad.

How about a massive Game & Watch mini game compilation done in the Wario Ware/Rhythm Heaven fashion? I'd might buy a 3DS for that....

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By EuanDewar

I have no idea what Urban Champion is but it sounds cool as shit so that.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By laserbolts

@Ventilaator said:

Dude.

Modern Duck Hunt. By the Pacman Championship Edition DX team.

Dude

So there are hundreds of ducks and you have a machine gun? I'm in.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Hailinel

@SeriouslyNow said:

Kid Icarus because that game is not Kid Icarus in anything more than memes and platitudes.

If that's what you think, I doubt you've actually played it.