Now that MxO is gone, which paid MMO is the next to go?

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Radar
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

Meh, Sony keeps their stuff on life support anyway, I don't think they'll shut them down as long as people play them. I'll bet on Age of Conan being the next big one to either shut down or attempt to go free to play like Dungeons & Dragons Online...

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By the8bitNacho
I'd definitely say that Galaxies is probably on its last leg.  Last I checked, the subscriber numbers were still sufficient, especially considering that the game became profitable only two years after its release.  Still, those remaining will probably jump ship for BioWare's upcoming MMO, with the exception of the masochists that actually enjoy that mess.  Regardless of The Old Republic's quality, it can't be anything worse than Galaxies.

@Radar:
EverQuest will probably be around for a long time to come.  EverQuest II was so radically different from its predecessor that a large portion of that game's community stuck around and continue to play to this day.  EverQuest II will likely see an indefinite number of years as well.  The subscriber numbers are still quite high for a game so downplayed by the greater MMO community, and the number of expansion packs release thus far display continued enthusiasm and support from its developers.  Hell, wasn't an expansion just released for the original recently as well?

Age of Conan has had some problems, and I don't think that the game will last, but I still don't really believe that it's next on the chopping block.  Maybe that's just me.

The Lord of the Rings Online is doing very, very well.  Its inclusion in this list perplexes me.

Planetside...I thought that was free now?  In any case, it's been around for this long and likely has fewer players supporting it than Matrix Online did.  I can't see this one biting it just yet.

Final Fantasy XI still has a very active and very healthy hardcore playerbase.  I foresee it tapering off a bit once FFXIV i released, but as with EverQuest II, I honestly don't think that most of XI's current, diehard players will be willing to leave behind the characters and world that they have been investing time in since 2002(JPN)/2003(US).
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_A_Drain

Who cares? They've been dropping like flies ever since the economy started to implode, and the release of Wrath of the Lich King didn't help.

Several free to play ones have fanished, RFO died quietly and unnanounced, Kotaku didn't even run a story on it despite the news being 3 days old until I sent the tip in, that's how little people cared. I'm sure there was another cancellation or death recently but I forget what it was, MxO I was surprised to hear was even still alive. Not to mention Tabula Rasa.

At the moment, the major ones at least show no signs of going anywhere, I think that's it for the spat of shedding MMOs to make room for the new upcoming ones, I think it's gonna be a while before we see another total shutdown.

Whether you count DDO as a death or not is up to you, it's gone free to play/microtransactions. Personally it's more like a rebirth for me, I might actually play it now. That and Anarchy online is supposed to be getting a DX9/10 overhaul sometime soon (if not already, havnt been keeping up)

But I don't think any remotely high profile games are going to go anywhere, some smaller ones i've never heard of maybe, but how can I comment if i've never heard of them? :P

I suspect though that the console servers for PSU might go offline soon, unless they are joined with the PC ones, in which case that'd probably be my net bet, PSU, but I don't see it happening for a couple years at least.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrKlorox

Perhaps this is the return of the singleplayer CRPG in the vein of the Black Isle classics. It took about a dozen years for graphic adventures to make a comeback... we're coming up on that mark since the end of the 'golden age' of CRPGs in a couple of years.

We're seeing the results of the merging of classic RPG and modern FPS gameplay and we've yet to find a suitable seemless borderline game (ah, something just clicked). Fallout 3 and Mass Effect are great examples of where the RPG devs are at in making action games; and I have a feeling Alpha Protocol will follow suit. Borderlands, on the other hand, is the opposite: an FPS core with proven RPG elements on top. If the RPG devs continue to develop the actual RPG experience, the FPS (fine, 'action') devs can interperate what made such systems fun to create what will become the 'true' role-playing videogame experience. DICE's Mirror's Edge is doing its part to evolve the first-person experience by providing something for other devs to improve upon.

Zenimax seems to have a heads-up. Putting id Software and Bethesda under one roof can either lead to another Take2/THQ/2nd Rate publisher or a joint effort to further evolve a genre. Imagine an open-world id-built FPS with Bethesda'd-up RPG elements. I'm praying for the latter.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Diamond

Is Planetside still around?

I think Planetside and Star Wars Galaxies will disappear before Age of Conan...

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By guiseppe

Personally, I thought that Age of Conan was kind of "bleh", so my guess is that.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By the8bitNacho
@The_A_Drain said:
"I suspect though that the console servers for PSU might go offline soon, unless they are joined with the PC ones, in which case that'd probably be my net bet, PSU, but I don't see it happening for a couple years at least. "
Has any game shut down its servers on Xbox Live since the 360 was released?  I don't see PSU's servers dying until the next generation of hardware.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Kombat said:
"@The_A_Drain said:
"I suspect though that the console servers for PSU might go offline soon, unless they are joined with the PC ones, in which case that'd probably be my net bet, PSU, but I don't see it happening for a couple years at least. "
Has any game shut down its servers on Xbox Live since the 360 was released?  I don't see PSU's servers dying until the next generation of hardware."

The only ones I know of are a bunch of EA sports games. I know for sure Tiger Woods has, 06 I think, because getting the #1 on the leaderboards achievement is now totally impossible to do as the leaderboards are not online anymore and you can no longer play that game over live. I think there's been a couple others though I couldn't tell you for sure which.

You're probably right though now I think about it, didn't the Dreamcast PS servers stay up until something crazy like 2 years ago? Maybe i'm imagining things.
MatthewMeadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By MatthewMeadows

Conan

Rumour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rumour

I'd probably say WoW.  That game is on its last legs.

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Radar
@Kombat said:
"The Lord of the Rings Online is doing very, very well.  Its inclusion in this list perplexes me."
I just put up whatever first came to mind. Wasn't implying that all of those games are lost causes.

@Kombat said:
" Planetside...I thought that was free now? "
On the GB page it says there was free (but restricted) access to it but is no longer available and the Planetside FAQ shows that it has a $13 monthly fee

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Conan seems very likely as does Galaxies, especially with Old Republic coming, it'll definitely go by then.
But they might keep it running for a while longer, in hopes that inpatient fans jump onto Galaxies while waiting for TOR, which could still be two or three years off.

_k1_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#14  Edited By _k1_
SWG, EQ, and EQ2 seem pretty safe for now.  Planetside is having a server merger coming up, so that might be a candidate soon.  AoC seems like it's getting promoted more by Funcom, and they've kept AO around for a long time.  LOTRO and FFXI I don't think will get ended any time soon.  Not on the list, but I think it might be Vanguard.

@The_A_Drain
said:
.You're probably right though now I think about it, didn't the Dreamcast PS servers stay up until something crazy like 2 years ago? Maybe i'm imagining things. "
The XBox PSO servers were up until the end of April 2008.  That's not too bad considering that both the 360 and PSU had been out for years at that point.

I don't think PSU will be shut down any time soon.  They did just add a cash shop feature in the Japanese servers though, so it might even end up being free- to-play, though thats probably a long shot.
Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Kohe321

I have no idea, but I have a feeling that either AOC or WAR will bite the dust pretty soon.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By flaminghobo

Lord of the Rings Online actually has a growing player base so I doubt it's going to bite the dust anytime soon. I'll say that Star Wars Galaxies is the most likely, since I've never heard of it, ever.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By stinky

are you guys shitting me?  everquest is still live?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KaosAngel

Final Fantasy XI.  I was 75 RDM, WHM, BLK, SMN, and NIN.  Square B& my account with others because we "glitched" to kill a Hyper NM because it would've been IMPOSSIBLE to do without. 

I hate the bastards at Square for not being able to run a solid MMO. 

I hope it dies out and the lawsuits at Square work.  They need to realize they can't dick people around thinking they're kings.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By penguindust

I didn't know that SW Galaxies and Planetside were still around.  But, I choose "other" because I doubt even being free "Dungeons & Dragons" will last.  Lately, they've been having trouble getting it out the door. (Massively.com) And, with new arrivals Champions Online and Aion: The Tower of Eternity catching a lot of buzz, I don't think D&D Online will be worth the expense of keeping the servers active for long.  After all it will have to compete with all these free MMORPGs.

yates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By yates

Man, I can't believe Planetside is still going.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vorbis

All of Planetsides servers merged into one now so I guess its slowly on its way out, which is sad as it was great for its time, until BFRs... then the devs abandoned it for EQ2, just been drifting along since.

Sony should of put their money into Planetside 2 rather than MAG, still cringe when they claim they are doing something no ones done before with their 250 players.

Trailer for anyone interested in PS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8GJUfhyLCA

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By CL60

I seriously doubt Conan will go down, Funcom still has Anarchy Online going after it failed 8 years ago. They might just make it F2P like they did with Anarchy.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_A_Drain
@CL60 said:
"I seriously doubt Conan will go down, Funcom still has Anarchy Online going after it failed 8 years ago. They might just make it F2P like they did with Anarchy."

It didn't fail, it just wasn't an immense success. It still has lots of paying subscribers, and is funded by ads for it's free to play sections.

It can't be doing that bad it's getting a massive graphical overhaul this year.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CL60
@The_A_Drain said:
" @CL60 said:
"I seriously doubt Conan will go down, Funcom still has Anarchy Online going after it failed 8 years ago. They might just make it F2P like they did with Anarchy."
It didn't fail, it just wasn't an immense success. It still has lots of paying subscribers, and is funded by ads for it's free to play sections.It can't be doing that bad it's getting a massive graphical overhaul this year. "
Well, it still didn't really do that good so they made it free to play and people came back. So I seriosuly doubt they will shut down Conan anytime soon. They are starting to advertise it more then ever on pretty much every gaming site I've been on.
Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26  Edited By Cerza

I voted for Star Wars Galaxies. That game is a ghost town today (literally). There is only one active server and even the population on that is tiny. I'm still surprised MXO got canned before SWG. I always thought MXO had more going for it.

Also, Vanguard should be a choice in the poll.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#27  Edited By natetodamax

World Of Warcraft. Nerds everywhere will commit suicide

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#28  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I will say Star Wars Galaxies. It scared off the majority of its user base when they tried to overhaul everything, and has been a shambling zombie ever since. Also, the fact that there is another new and shiny Star Wars MMO coming out doesn't really help SW:G's chances.