Now that we actually know about both next-gen consoles, which are you more excited for and why?

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll Now that we actually know about both next-gen consoles, which are you more excited for and why? (803 votes)

Xbox One 10%
PS4 90%

I'm a PC guy and don't plan on buying either, but I'd like to see where everybody comes down on the issue now that we actually know something about both systems.

• 
smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The outcome of this poll is not surprising in the least. I've heard the argument that the conference today was meant for the casual non-gaming consumer. Who are these people that would watch an hour-long presentation in the middle of a work day about something they might or might not be interested in?

Gamers were the main audience for this event, and as a long-time gamer who has never played a Call of Duty or Halo or Madden, it failed spectacularly in presenting anything of interest.

colorbrandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

PS4 for now, waiting for what these "15 exclusives" that xbox has to offer are.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS4. I could not give a fuck about anything a console offers apart from the direct act of playing the games, as everything is what my TV/Roku/Laptop is for. The inherent bullshit of having to worry about a kinect and the rest of Microsoft's internet fuckery, and PS4 having two games I am interested in to Microsoft's one is pushing me hard into the PS4 camp. But hey they game can easily change at E3.

GunGunW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#154  Edited By GunGunW

Xbox.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

So far , PS4 . I like games .

But we should wait to judge these consoles until after E3 , in my opinion .

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

I'm going to have to wait until the E3 stuff to really decide that. I'm excited for both, but the PS4 has shown a whole lot more so it's hard not to pick it. I feel like that's a bit unfair.

That said, the reality is that I'm most excited for the PC! Because fuck yeah PCs.

Ashler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Straight from Amazon...

• Kinect is included with every Xbox One. Completely reengineered to be more precise, responsive and intuitive with unparalleled voice, vision and motion technology
  • The console is driven by a powerful combination of CPU, GPU and 8GB of RAM, governed by an innovative OS architecture, to deliver power, speed and agility
  • Only Xbox One unleashes the vast and scalable power of the cloud for your games, entertainment and apps with Xbox Live
  • If you have an Xbox Live Gold membership, it works on Xbox One too
  • With Xbox One, you can quickly jump from TV to movies to music to a game.

Dude. Not hating on your choice of console just want to highlight 2 things

The console is driven by a powerful combination of CPU, GPU and 8GB of RAM, governed by an innovative OS architecture, to deliver power, speed and agility.

Good line. Tells me absolutely nothing about the fucking console.

Only Xbox One unleashes the vast and scalable power of the cloud for your games, entertainment and apps with Xbox Live.

True. Xbox Live will not work with the PS4. that cloud bullshit reads like a back of the box quote from simcity.

In regards to the question. PS4 showed me most of the architecture of the thing. And games. And the Microsoft presser was very much North American Centric. I live in Europe so those TV shenanigans means nothing, and I couldn't care less about fantasy American Football or Baseball, and I don't know what the exclusive content is for fifa yet. So I will probably go PS4 first.

Of course if Microsoft runs a great E3 I might change my mind. But right now it has a lot of catching up to do.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to have to wait until the E3 stuff to really decide that. I'm excited for both, but the PS4 has shown a whole lot more so it's hard not to pick it. I feel like that's a bit unfair.

That said, the reality is that I'm most excited for the PC! Because fuck yeah PCs.

GTX 770 and 780 possibly getting released as soon as Thursday! The 770 alone should beat out both consoles. The 780 and the already released Titan and 690 will blow out the next generation of consoles.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#159  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@andorski said:

@mordeaniischaos said:

GTX 770 and 780 possibly getting released as soon as Thursday! The 770 alone should beat out both consoles. The 780 and the already released Titan and 690 will blow out the next generation of consoles.

OH SHIT! I need to start paying more attention. Also, the 680 already edges out the PS4 in everything we've seen so far, so I can't imagine the 770 will have any trouble besting the consoles, let along the 780 and anything above that. Man, I wish I could expect a new Titan to drool over.
But yeah, this console stuff is neat in the "hey lets all be excited together" sense but man, I don't need to wait for the next generation. I'm already playing games with ridiculous amounts of antialiasing and at awesome resolutions and a solid 60 frames.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Jrinswand
@smcn said:
Gamers were the main audience for this event, and as a long-time gamer who has never played a Call of Duty or Halo or Madden, it failed spectacularly in presenting anything of interest.

Duder, I'm not judging you or anything, but you should really give those games a shot. None of them are my favorite, but they are still experiences that you should have.

Schmollian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

PS4. Because it specializes in... You know... Games.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

PS4 has exclusives that I actually am interested in

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#163  Edited By JasonR86

I'm going to miss Forza, but right now I have to say PS4.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#164  Edited By confusedowl

@jasonr86: Well Playstation does have Gran Turismo.

Those poll results are really interesting. Looks like Sony really has a chance this time around.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

There's just nothing on the road Microsoft is going down that I will ever be interested in, I don't think.

I've been very happy not having cable for years, I don't watch a whole lot of current TV or movies, I don't use Twitter and I try not to use Facebook, I have a phone that serves me very well for web browsing and such while I'm doing something else on the TV. Anything else cool on the system side is already being done by Sony or will probably be something they imitate later.

Combine that with my preference for Sony's first party franchises and developers over Microsoft's, and it looks like I might end up never owning an X1. But I guess E3 can make or break that, in theory.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brothers and sisters, you have warmed my heart by showing me that you are actually interested in games and were not taken in by the diabolical clockwork menace powered by spiders that the XBox One has shown itself to be. I'm never going to say Viva la Vita but the PS4 is the right choice for those too blind to see that real games come from Nintendo.

Fawkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Fawkes

I don't know if it's been specifically confirmed or not if games can be played online for free on either console, but if it stays the way it is this gen I'm going PS4 and pushing it on my friends.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@ezakael:

Yeah. I have both though and vastly prefer Forza. So it is a big bummer for me. But, based on what we currently know about Microsofts' policies on online and used games, I can't support them with my money.

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 25

still way too early to tell for either console, but for a quick reaction as of this moment in time: PS4

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#170  Edited By crusader8463

PC will still be my main, but the X-Box 3 just holds zero appeal from what they have shown so far. I have zero interest in any of that multimedia/TV crap and only care about the games as I do all that on my PC already. I only buy consoles for the few games that don't come to PC that look fun to play despite needing to use a controller to play them with. So far they have shown nothing about the games but trotting out more of the same in a racing game and COD. Both of which I have zero interest in.

I'm holding final opinion until E3 when they will hopefully show some dam games, but as it stands right now PS4 is the only one of the two I plan to get at some point eventually down the line when it has enough exclusives worth getting.

Also, I hate the name. I will continue to call it X-Box 3. Also also, I'm still waiting to hear the shoe drop on how Microsoft will screw over the PC platform this gen. I'm expecting a GFWL rebranding and relaunch at E3 or something before it gets ignored by Microsoft immediately after.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

PC all the way. Just port Halo: Reach, Gears 3, and Shadow Complex to the PC and we're done.

tenderbrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By tenderbrew

Honestly, neither. I am going to stick with PC, where all the action is at.

Triple A games honestly don't do anything for me anymore. Indies and cheap PC options are blowing consoles out of the water. Even if I wanted triple A games, the PC usually still offers the best version of it. The Xbox One controller looks nice, but it will probably also work with PCs.

So I'm going to sit back and wait. If anything interesting ever comes out for it, I'll consider it.

The three huge killers for me:

1) Focus on cable. I don't have cable.
2) Incompatibility with older digital games. I built up quite an XBLA and digital library. Not having access to that is basically a deal breaker.
3) Focus on Kinect. Not interested.

And as for the PS4, not interested at all. Sony rarely has any games that I am interested in that I can't get elsewhere. Only one I can think of is The Show.

Honestly, after these two press conferences, I am probably considering a Wii U the most.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also a PC guy and probably won't buy either, im particularly excited that both are x86 and mostly off the shelf hardware, so PC ports will be easy. I suspect it will make economic sense to bring almost anything to the PC, unless the first party makes the game or pays for exclusivity.

Anyway, like this last generation, I won't get one unless there are exclusives I want. But the PS4 seems more interesting. And I think xbox one is poor branding. one vs 4? cmon

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe it will change at E3, I don't know. I also realize that the GB community isn't representative of the entire market for consoles, but regardless, I think it's really telling that MS can come out of a press conference with less momentum than a company who they pretty clearly beat last gen who hasn't released any new info for over a month. This poll isn't really surprising, but I didn't expect it to be so far in Sony's favor.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They haven't shown enough games for either system yet..I'll hold off until then.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#176 sgtsphynx  Moderator

I will probably end up purchasing both eventually, but definitely not at launch. I'm mainly a PC guy, but of these two, I think I'm leaning more PS4.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC / PS4 always

With the announcements today, there is no longer a benefit to owning an xbox console rather than a PC.

Also some very alarming news in terms of privacy related to the Kinect, with the always on Kinect microphone (even with the xbox off the microphone stays on to detect "on" commands).

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/4353580/kinect-always-listening-on-xbox-one-privacy-is-a-top-priority

And another bit on Kinect news is a patent microsoft is trying to push to have Kinect detect how many people are watching a certain piece of content, report that to MPAA (their servers or whatever), and have the user pay for the rights to watch a piece of content with extended number of people present.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/139706-microsofts-new-kinect-patent-goes-big-brother-will-spy-on-you-for-the-mpaa

I dont want anything like that anywhere near my house, nobody should.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

PS4, they've gone after indie $15 games, and exclusive original I.p. Sony is loaded with exclusives even after being dumped by Tomb Raider, Tekken, Monster Hunter, Metal Gear, and Final Fantasy this gen. Two of their biggest new series are coming to PS3 instead, Last of Us and Beyond. Microsoft has relied on annualizing Halo, Gears, Fable, and Forza, and only Forza has got consistently better and more content rich. With those other three franchises long in the tooth and myself now the type that buys COD maps let alone a month early, I think I can pass until its dirt cheap. I also expect more dashboard ads than ever, and it even harder to find GAMES not Chris brown playlists. I also don't have cable. Yeah, PS4 for a while.

Respighi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am effectively neutral at this point. Sony and Microsoft seem to have very different philosophies as to the purpose of their consoles right now and we'll have to wait until E3 to see if either plans to respond to the other by adding more media features, in Sony's case, or appealing to the core gamer, in Microsoft's case. I can't seem to shake the feeling that Sony isn't positioning the Playstation 4 as in all-in-one box because they already have divisions that produce blu-ray players, home audio systems, computers & tablets, and MP3 players, and one-device-to-rule-them all like the PS4 could negatively affect these other branches. Xbox, on the other hand, is Microsoft's only real entry into the consumer electronics space so it would make sense for them to put it all in one device.

As we approach E3, I'm looking for the most bang for my buck. If both companies announce a $500 price for their consoles, Microsoft is the clear "winner" here. Why would I buy a Playstation 4 that plays primarily games and not much else when I could just buy an Xbox One which does it all for the same price? As far as first party games, I am pretty indifferent because each console will have their own racing game, flagship FPS, and cover-based third person shooter. Now, if Microsoft intends to put all of these services that they're touting behind an Xbox Live Gold subscription, That's something I'll have to consider upon its announcement. I primarily play online games on my PC so a separate subscription just so I can use the TwitchTV or ESPN apps doesn't appeal to me.

All in all, I'm fairly excited for this next generation. This is a very great time for video games and it will be fun to watch everything unfold.

dutchbear10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure that eventually I will have both consoles, because I am an adult and can waste my money as I wish. However, if the XBOX 1 can really do all that Minority-Report-Space-Odyssey lookin' stuff in a functional fashion I would really like to have it at the center of my home entertainment... center.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sticking with PS4 so far. I'll wait and see what E3 brings. But Microsoft is definitely starting to piss me off with their cryptic bullshit.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like the 360 was the better console over the course of this gen, but I have no idea how anyone can be on board with the Xbone over the PS4 right now.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By penguindust

Right now, neither but if I had to choose, I'd say the PS4 because it's Sony has done a better job so far selling me on their vision of a console-centric future. Honestly, I don't want most of the non-game related things Microsoft seems to believes I need. If I want to switch from game to TV, I push one button on my remote. I don't care about fantasy sports and has anyone actually done anything SmartGlass so far? So many of the doodads just seem like a waste of time. And can someone please tell me how Xbox One will change the sport of football forever? Roger Goodell, you should be ashamed.

The biggest difference is I walked away from Sony conference hyped and eager to see what's next for them. I left the Microsoft reveal confused and scared. Answers to questions I have about Xbox One still seem cloudy at best. Maybe that's a new feature since it is "cloud powered". It's never a good sign when a potential consumer is perplexed by the product.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By thebunnyhunter

Based on the philosophies pointed out in the two reveals I would go with the ps4 (although i could just upgrade my pc) If you're going to reveal a video game console tease some games (more than 2). Sounds cliche now but Sony was all about bringing the best video game experience to the user;while Microsoft was pushing other features that i can all do easily on my table or phone. (continuing their less game-centric message from the past few years) If that was how the two companies presented their consoles i would think that "core gamers" would mostly go for the PS4 (not including PC, we all know PCs are awesome). Also Infamous Second Son is coming, really excited for a new Infamous game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

At this point, I'd get a PS4, but probably not at launch.

It should be a great pairing with my Wii U.

Avatar image for living4theday258
living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

out of 597 votes.......

ps4 91%

xbox 10%

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Wuddel

I am in continental europe. So my friends are in the Sony ecosystem and the TV features are US-only. I don't watch much TV anyway and I got a modern TVset with a CI+card in it - so i do not have a slow cable box. Probably not at launch. I will wait for a bundled in game or so.

Maybe I get a new PC before that.

Alekss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was always impressed with how Doom 3 looked on Xbox one. I wonder how much more they can push it; that Forza trailer looked pretty good, the Geforce 3 is in for a workout.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Hitchenson

I'm totally going to grab a PS4 around launch. I'll stick with PC as platform of choice, but having a console for exclusives/console only games is tasty.

Fuck the Nextbox.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#190  Edited By isomeri

So far the two boxes seem roughly equal when it comes to hardware and services. Based on the announced games alone, I'd have to lean towards the Xbox One. A new Forza and a new Remedy game are more exciting to me than another Killzone.

But as everyone else has said here, we'll have to wait until E3 to see more games and hear about the pricing.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I know I'll probably own them all eventually. But I don't think there's a single console that I'll be getting this holiday season. Unless some really spectacular shit goes down at e3, then they may pique my interest.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ps4, because they talked about the things that will get people excited, and left the other things left unanswered.

For example, MS announced too much concerning the actually functionality of the console; having to be online every 24 hours, used game restrictions, an emphasis on that tv bullshit, etc. Now that sony knows all that stuff and the poor reaction it is getting, they could easily add or cut whatever necessary before releasing the console. Obviously they can't change hardware at this point (though, that's also looking better on the ps4 front), but OS functionality is easily changeable before the hypothetical fall release.

Sony really planned this shit out well

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tycobb: You're assumption that sony's e3 is going to be all about this system is naive. They have a plethura of studios at their disposal, most likely all working on ps4 games. And now that MS blew their load on how restrictive their console is on an OS level, sony can add or remove what they see fit, based on community reaction as of now.

Yes, they can't change hardware at this point, but they can almost certainly tweak the ps4's feature set.

studioerebus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#194  Edited By studioerebus

Of these two, PS4. It just looks like more of what I want in a game console. But in reality the press conferences have only served to push me back towards the PC as my primary spot for playing games.

Herk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The TV stuff on XONE is just a feature, if you don't use it isn't it just like a PS4? I don't understand the complaints

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Darji

@living4theday258 said:

out of 597 votes.......

ps4 91%

xbox 10%

looks the same on gamespot

No Caption Provided

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow 90% for the PS4. Unless they lock games to separate accounts I'm onboard with Sony. If Sony does that too, not sure where I stand.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excited for PS4. I like Sony exclusives and it will probably get all the Japanese games as well. Multiplatforms will also run better on PS4 even if publishers target the lowest common denominator in Xbox One.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By oldenglishc

If I'm keeping score:

Wii U - 3 upcoming games that I'm really excited to play.

PS4 - 0 announced games that I'm really excited to play.

X1 - 0 announced games that I'm really excited to play.

Console wars are over! (At least until E3.)

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will stick with my "PC/Sony console" combo, so PS4. Also I just read that indies wouldn't be allowed to self publish on Xbox One just like the 360, what are MS thinking? Are they actually trying to make their machine look unappealing?