Now that we have PS4 details, I'm worried about Nintendo

• 106 results
Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I dunno about you guys, but I think Nintendo is in trouble going forward. Looking at the features of the PS4- one of them basically being the entire point of the Wii U (using the Vita to play PS4 games), I just can't see the appeal of the Wii U to developers now. It's technologically inferior, it doesn't have all the features that the PS4 has, and the reception to it so far has been extremely "meh".

I don't want to count out Nintendo, as they usually find a way, but I don't know if their first party games will be enough to save them this generation unless they really blow people away with something special. What that could be, I have no idea.

So what do you guys think?

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Nintendo was already in trouble and launching their system first but having declining sales was a big factor in it.

I don't think they will be completely run out of consoles or hardware because the 3DS is still a big big big money maker

abara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

NOW you're worried about Nintendo?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Now you're worried? Ha!

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Nintendo is such an afterthought at this point. They need to do something, anything to get anyone to give a shit about them but I'm not sure what they can even do now to save themselves.

Hooray4Larz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

There will be a huge gulf between Xbox/PS4 and the WiiU.

Watch Dogs on the WiiU will be amusing to behold.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really feel like if developers are able to use the Vita Remote Play feature not only for playing PS4 games on-the-go, but also in tandem with a PS4 game, then it will essentially replicate the WiiU tech. Granted, you would have to buy the "controller" separately.

But even if all of that is true, I'm not too worried about Nintendo. They'll make money with their first party stuff and the 3DS which seems to be doing ok now.

Rave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rave

The wii seemed to do ok despite being inferior to 360 and ps3. I've really enjoyed my wiiu I do wish there were more games on it, but I'm sure that will change by the end of the year.

I don't really feel it is competing in the same market with the other 2 consoles.

And from the sounds of it, games that are given time do turn out really well apparently from previews need for speed is essentially the best version of the game on wiiu.

So while games like watchdogs will be better on ps4 the wiiu version might be better then the 360 and ps3 versions.

circlenine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By circlenine

In order to be able to play the PS4 games from the Vita though you'd need to buy a Vita (if you didn't already have one), which adds $250-300 onto the price of a console which from the hardware already seems like it'll be pretty fucking expensive.

JOURN3Y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

ZombiU for PS4!

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 3DS has Monster Hunter 4, which will sell the system like hotcakes and make Nintendo so much money.

Even if the WiiU dies out real soon, they still have their handheld market. It would probably be better for them to focus all their attention on that at this point.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Never count Nintendo out.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

There will be a huge gulf between Xbox/PS4 and the WiiU.

Watch Dogs on the WiiU will be amusing to behold.

Not really, considering that the Wii U is more capable than the 360/PS3 and that the gameplay we've seen on the PS4 didn't really look any better than what current PC's can do.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo's had a comfortable niche in the market for a loooong time now. It's getting to be an increasingly tight spot for them, but I'm not gonna count them out until they're out.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if there is a big enough audience that cares about first party Nintendo games to sustain WiiU sales. I think there might.

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am doubling down on my bet that the Wii U will be the last console from Nintendo.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Wii U isn't the first console they made that will (probably) undersell. They survived the N64 and Gamecube. They can probably truck along behind Sony and Microsoft while doing their usual fair of releasing good first party games.

begilerath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS4 450 USD + PSVita 150 USD vs WiiU 300 USD (I'm considering price drops by this Holidays). So you are paying double for the same experience ( to the mass market) I' dont thing that is going to be a factor.

About Watchdogs on WiiU, the game does not look that much better that GTAV and that is already running on current consoles. If you consider current development costs and the current install base (100M+) on this gen consoles I thing there is going to be multiplatform support for 360 PS3 and WiiU for the next couple of years.

KKGlider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KKGlider

@andorski: Except they had the Gameboy and the DS to support them. This generation, because of mobile, handhelds have less weight. Not that I'm counting Nintendo out, I still have hoped for their first party software, but if I was an investor, it's something I would take into consideration.

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

I am doubling down on my bet that the Wii U will be the last console from Nintendo.

I wish this every generation, hoping they'll bring their first party games to other platforms. Sadly, they keep hanging on to life somehow. Perhaps this will be the final - I'd love to play Mario on my ipad, etc.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

With the amazing success of the Wii Nintendo can kind of afford to take a hit this generation. They will still sell units with new Mario and Zelda games, but I don't think that they will be anywhere near Sony and Microsoft. But failure this generation isn't going to mean too much going forward. Just look at the difference in popularity between the Gamecube and the Wii.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Vita Remote Play isn't as impressive when you consider that it requires you to own a Vita, because nobody wants that. I'm being serious, it's a nice a bonus, but Vita adoption rates are so low that I really can't imagine the Vita Remote Play feature being a major deciding factor in whether people buy a WiiU or not (or whether people buy a PS4 or not).

And it sounds like most games are going to use it purely to put the main game screen on the Vita. It doesn't sound like many (any?) games will used the Vita as a second screen with something different like in ZombiU. That's just not attractive for developers to spend their time implementing, when there is NO guarantee that very many players will ever take advantage of that feature, since the Vita isn't required like the WiiU Gamepad is.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Nintendo just needs the games to start rolling out. They have never had stuff sell fast on launch, they have products that have long legs.

Show me good first party stuff and a real integrated VC, along with improvements to their dashboard and I am in.

Lnin0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

Nintendo will have one big industry partner - Gamestop. N is going to be the only thing keeping Gamestop in business since the Wii-U appears to be the last console to use physical media :(

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo has been about first party games since the N64. As long as there is a Zelda and Mario to play-I'll get. Nintendo console. That being said, the PS4 looks sweet and will definitely get one of those too.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nintendo should just give up on consoles.

they're playing almost completely on nostalgia and name recognition at this point.

honestly when im considering which console to get, the new xbox or PS4, it won't be the exclusives that makes me pick a team, it'll simply be how enjoyable of an experience and painless it is. most stuff im interested in generally is 3rd party anyways. the WiiU is not something you'll see alot of third party games going to.

also, maybe its just me, but i dont want to look at another screen, that would kinda ruin the experience for me. sure zombiU pulls it off by using distracting you with the gimmicky controller a core mechanic, but how many games can you play like that?

i'm not going to buy a WiiU just for a couple nintendo franchises im not even super interested in anyways ( i mean how many mario games can you play? people give CoD shit for being the same thing but give mario and zelda a pass? wtf?) if i could get a zelda game or mario game on a PS4 or xbox? hell yeah i'd buy it, but im not going to have a crappy gimmicky console just for some tired ass franchises.

but thats just my opinion.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lnin0 said:

Nintendo will have one big industry partner - Gamestop. N is going to be the only thing keeping Gamestop in business since the Wii-U appears to be the last console to use physical media :(

I'm pretty sure the PS4 and the next Xbox will both use physical media...

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@hidys said:

@lnin0 said:

I'm pretty sure the PS4 and the next Xbox will both use physical media...

Yes, yes they will.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By probablytuna

Except Vita isn't much of a success so the remote play feature will likely draw a minority share of the PS4 userbase.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can't be dismissive of the WiiU and then be like, "I'm afraid for Nintendo!!" You're clearly not.

TwoArmed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TwoArmed

I think they'll survive, and we might get some interesting things out of a desperate Nintendo. If anything, I think (or at least hope) that this generation will be a reality check for them, and they will realize they really do need to invest in hardware specs. It doesn't matter what innovation, real or perceived, they want to try to do. Developers want power and more of it, and if Nintendo isn't going to give it to them, they'll go to the people who will.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Sooty
@bisonhero said:

The Vita Remote Play isn't as impressive when you consider that it requires you to own a Vita, because nobody wants that. I'm being serious, it's a nice a bonus, but Vita adoption rates are so low that I really can't imagine the Vita Remote Play feature being a major deciding factor in whether people buy a WiiU or not (or whether people buy a PS4 or not).

It's already a big factor for me.

Instant on / resume states + Vita remote play on every game(I hope that happens) is a pretty fantastic thing.

Vita is the best handheld ever created in my opinion (design, build quality, d-pad), eventually it'll be dirt cheap with a decent selection of games like the PSP. So despite the lack of Vita exclusives right now it'll be a good checkbox in the long run.

and yes I mean the Vita is the best handheld from a hardware perspective, I'm not dumb enough to suggest it has even close to the best library of software.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@shaka999 said:

Looking at the features of the PS4- one of them basically being the entire point of the Wii U (using the Vita to play PS4 games),

People aren't going to buy a PS4 (rumored to be $400) and a Vita (still $250) to do that. If that was Wii U's entire point (which is not), it would be in absolutely no danger from the PS4. The Wii U is in danger from many things, but the PS4 seems relatively benign for now.

Zebracal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Problem is Nintendo is stuck by their legacy. Of course they always aim at kids that is why they always make a lot of wholesome games. I think Nintendo is leaning towards more their so called smart games.

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By QuistisTrepe

Nintendo has recovered from bombs before, but the WiiU is an out and out disaster. It's just so poorly conceived. I get the direction they were trying to go, the problem is that they tried to go in every direction at once.

I gave Iwata all the credit in the world for his marketing genius with the Wii, but I'm struggling to understand how anyone thought the WiiU would be a winning concept. Don't compare this to the Dreamcast, this is even worse than that.

triumvir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By triumvir

Yeah, right now things are not looking well for Wii U but they had a real shitty launch line up and poor showings since. I expect when the first-party titles roll out the sales will surge. I dunno, man, people have been saying Nintendo would tank for years. I wouldn't count them out just yet. If things are looking as grim in 12 months, then I might be with you though.

prontopup20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CircleNine: Thats what i thought too, The Wii U and the 3DS both are cheap compared to a vita and a ps4.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm not worried about them. They'll get there, eventually.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@quististrepe: People said the same thing about the DS and the Wii. I can't help but feel all this "Nintendo is doomed!" talk is just a little bit premature. It's only been out for a few months and sales have been relatively strong, aside from last months.

The technical gap is a little worrisome, but if the Wii U can keep getting slightly lower res ports of all the big games, I don't think they have much to worry about. Their big list of exclusives will be enough to keep the system afloat, regardless of third party support.

I don't think it's ever going to be the huge success that the Wii was, but that doesn't mean it's going to outright die either. If they're going to keep going this route though, I really wish they dropped the controller gimicks and all those bells and whistles and just put out a really cheap console that focused solely on playing games.

radecau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By radecau

The technical gap is a little worrisome, but if the Wii U can keep getting slightly lower res ports of all the big games, I don't think they have much to worry about.

Looking at those PS4 specs if the new xbox is anything like that, which you have to think it will be, then the gap is going to be at least as big as it was between 360/PS3 and the Wii. I don't know how long lower res ports are going to last with that gap and the Wii U's sales so far.

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not worried about Nintendo at all. The games are coming and I'm sure the OS/Miiverse will be expanded in the future.

Personally, I'm more excited about the Wii U over the PS4, still. Watch Dogs interface was just made for the gamepad, absolutely perfect for it. The only game that interested me coming to PS4, was The Witness (apparently a timed-exclusive). The social features are cool, very cool, but it's not something I'll be using - so I don't have much interest in that. Miiverse appeals to me much more.

So little optimism in the gaming world these days, everything is going to fail... apparently.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42  Edited By tourgen

all we have from Sony is some video and slides so far. Don't call the battle yet. They still have every opportunity to screw up the user interface, paywall subscriptions to services, bungle the online experience, and that new controller actually isn't looking all that hot. Sony can still screw up the ps4 to unusable levels. It's all going to come down to the details between now and release day.

but yes, realistically the Wii U is a last-gen console that was released about 7 years too late.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@radecau said:

@wintersnowblind said:

The technical gap is a little worrisome, but if the Wii U can keep getting slightly lower res ports of all the big games, I don't think they have much to worry about.

Looking at those PS4 specs if the new xbox is anything like that, which you have to think it will be, then the gap is going to be at least as big as it was between 360/PS3 and the Wii. I don't know how long lower res ports are going to last with that gap and the Wii U's sales so far.

As long as developers continue to make versions for the 360/PS3 as well as next gen, the Wii U will remain a dumping ground of ports. Once enough people have made the leap to next gen that developers no longer feel the need to support the 360 and PS3, I think the support for the Wii U will dry up as well.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They buttered their bread a long time ago, and enjoyed the benefits of gaming for the masses. I suggest they get back in playing cards business.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless there is coming some serious First Party Awesomeness to the WiiU, yeah. Let's say I hope they saved up a big pile of money.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I don't feel like I'll care about a lot of Nintendo's first party stuff this time even, but they haven't really shown it off yet so who knows. I own a WiiU so that hump is already cleared, if they can show off a few games I'd like to play I'd be satisfied with that, regardless how the rest of their generation turns out.

As for the future of the company I don't really have a desired outcome in mind, either way I think seeing what they do will be interesting.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@radecau said:

@wintersnowblind said:

As long as developers continue to make versions for the 360/PS3 as well as next gen, the Wii U will remain a dumping ground of ports. Once enough people have made the leap to next gen that developers no longer feel the need to support the 360 and PS3, I think the support for the Wii U will dry up as well.

At least they are able to output 720P with the Wii U, having to use 480i and component cables for 480P is a pretty big reason the Wii looked so shitty on the televisions of today, you really want to be outputting 720P minimum otherwise the scaling becomes really obvious. (especially if your TV is bad at it)

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They survived the debacle of the Gamecube didn't they?

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The original Wii's audience got fucked once, they look at this thing and GO NOOOOOPPPPE. We "Video Gamers" know its a solid console but the crowd that make the Wii a success is like

FUCK IT

budgietheii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it going to be the phenomenon that the Wii was? Unlikely. Is it dead? No chance. Lets see how the market looks in November when the new consoles are 150+ more expensive than the WiiU with a probably average bunch of launch games compared to two or three waves of WiiU releases. I predict the same doom-calling over the first three months that the WiiU, Vita and 3DS saw (because they're easy stories).

Also, remote play may look to steal the WiiU's thunder when given as a bullet point, but the response lag looked pretty terrible in that demo yesterday and it will always suffer at the hands of being an optional extra. You'll never see the likes of ZombiU without modification to run on a Dualshock alone because no-one is going to sell a big game that requires a Vita.