NPD October sales : Sony is in a dangerous position

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Edited By daniel_beck_90

Well NPD just released the sales details and numbers and they are indeed mixed news .

In terms of Consoles and Hardware sales,  XBOX 360 and Nintendo DS were the absolute winners since the consoles sold more than the previous month despite the fact that all the other hardware saw a significant drop in sales .

Here is October’s Hardware sales :

1-Wii -- 803,000  Units

2-Nintendo DS -- 491,000  Units

3-Xbox 360 -- 371,000  Units

4-PlayStation Portable -- 193,000  Units

5-PlayStation 3 -- 190,000  Units

6-PlayStation 2 -- 136,000 Units

In terms of video games Fable II conquered the month and sold over  790,000 units .  all the other Games had  significantly less numbers .

I am the ruler of Albion , now I can buy whatever the heck I want

One thing is for sure , Little Big Planet was not what Sony expected (at least on October ) , this most anticipated PS3 title sold even less than SOCOM: Confrontation a game which was not a real success for Sony either .   though we should never forget that Little Big Planet Release Date incident which was delayed because of THE Quran related music trackcoupled with the terrible PSN Servers at that particular period were the main reason for the bad sales during October .
However I guess we will see a better sale for this game during November .
(but how much better ?!!!) .

And here is the TOP 10  Video Games sales  During October:

1-Fable 2 (360) -- 790,000  Units

2-Wii Fit (Wii) -- 487,000  Units

3-Fallout 3 (360) -- 375,000  Units

4-Mario Kart Wii (Wii) -- 290,000  Units

5-Wii Play (Wii) -- 282,000  Units

6-Saints Row 2 (360) -- 270,000  Units 

7-SOCOM: Confrontation (PS3) -- 231,000  Units 

8-Little Big Planet (PS3) -- 215,000  Units

9-NBA 2K9 (360) -- 202,000  Units 

10-Dead Space (360) -- 193,000  Units

Nobody loves me !!!
Nobody loves me !!!

Conclusion : as always Microsoft is in a very stable and safe position and Nintendo keeps emptying the pockets of billions and billions of house wives (along with hardcore male gamers !!!) despite the current economical conflict around the globe , BUT Sony on the other hand is experiencing  such down times which could cause sever damage to its financial structures  . Sony is losing the game in a time where the industrial market is getting worse and worse <---->Consumers getting more and more Picky  . 

so the question is : What will be the  future of Sony ?

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By daniel_beck_90

Well NPD just released the sales details and numbers and they are indeed mixed news .

In terms of Consoles and Hardware sales,  XBOX 360 and Nintendo DS were the absolute winners since the consoles sold more than the previous month despite the fact that all the other hardware saw a significant drop in sales .

Here is October’s Hardware sales :

1-Wii -- 803,000  Units

2-Nintendo DS -- 491,000  Units

3-Xbox 360 -- 371,000  Units

4-PlayStation Portable -- 193,000  Units

5-PlayStation 3 -- 190,000  Units

6-PlayStation 2 -- 136,000 Units

In terms of video games Fable II conquered the month and sold over  790,000 units .  all the other Games had  significantly less numbers .

One thing is for sure , Little Big Planet was not what Sony expected (at least on October ) , this most anticipated PS3 title sold even less than SOCOM: Confrontation a game which was not a real success for Sony either .   though we should never forget that Little Big Planet Release Date incident which was delayed because of THE Quran related music trackcoupled with the terrible PSN Servers at that particular period were the main reason for the bad sales during October .
However I guess we will see a better sale for this game during November .
(but how much better ?!!!) .

And here is the TOP 10  Video Games sales  During October:

1-Fable 2 (360) -- 790,000  Units

2-Wii Fit (Wii) -- 487,000  Units

3-Fallout 3 (360) -- 375,000  Units

4-Mario Kart Wii (Wii) -- 290,000  Units

5-Wii Play (Wii) -- 282,000  Units

6-Saints Row 2 (360) -- 270,000  Units 

7-SOCOM: Confrontation (PS3) -- 231,000  Units 

8-Little Big Planet (PS3) -- 215,000  Units

9-NBA 2K9 (360) -- 202,000  Units 

10-Dead Space (360) -- 193,000  Units

Nobody loves me !!!
Nobody loves me !!!

Conclusion : as always Microsoft is in a very stable and safe position and Nintendo keeps emptying the pockets of billions and billions of house wives (along with hardcore male gamers !!!) despite the current economical conflict around the globe , BUT Sony on the other hand is experiencing  such down times which could cause sever damage to its financial structures  . Sony is losing the game in a time where the industrial market is getting worse and worse <---->Consumers getting more and more Picky  . 

so the question is : What will be the  future of Sony ?

Unreal_dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Unreal_dro

Wow, Ps3 getting out sold 2 to 1 AGAIN!!!! and LBP having horrible Sales numbers (Getting outsold by a SOCOM?? sad) ...........  This Holiday is gonna be horrible for the ps3.

good to see Fable2 selling well, great game
Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx

the ps3 is going to cry blood this holiday seasson =( hopefully they START advertaising games more.

Unreal_dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Unreal_dro

wow, just noticed, PS3 versions of Fallout and Deadspace and Motorstorm2 not even on the list...........

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By daniel_beck_90
Unreal_dro said:
"wow, just noticed, PS3 versions of Fallout and Deadspace and Motorstorm2 not even on the list..........."
yeah PS3 is in a terrible state right now
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Meowayne

I expect a sales pitch when the Lord of the Rings movies are released on BluRay next year.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By daniel_beck_90
Meowayne said:
"I expect a sales pitch when the Lord of the Rings movies are released on BluRay next year.

"
actually one of the main reason that I have bought a PS3 was to play Blue-Ray movies , I tend to do most of my gaming with 360 .
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Pibo47
Solid_SnakeXx said:
"the ps3 is going to cry blood this holiday seasson =( hopefully they START advertaising games more."
This. Sony is not only screwing their fans, but themselves at the same time. Do they even care anymore?
hendersonman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By hendersonman

Sony shot itself in the foot early on with its arrogance, claiming that next gen did not start until it was released. Saying that they would not pay for exclusives, and dropping it at an astronomical price.

Nintendo and MS are not perfect, but it just seems Sony fell into the same trap that Nintendo did back with the N64. Nintendo back then thought that they were so big they could not be knocked off its high horse. That was a mistake that took them 10 years to make up for. Sony needs to get back to what Sony did best in the day. Make great games, good advertising, and a more humble approach to the gaming market.

I think they lost this generation. Third place is where they will stay. But there is always hope for the next Gen.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Dalai

There are three things about the PS3 I learned from these numbers.

1. The most expensive console during an economic recession will never sell as well as its cheaper counterparts... at $399, the PS3 is just way too much money, even with the Blu-ray player.
  2. The 360 just has a better lineup compared to the PS3... you want the better lineup.
  3. Brand loyalty means shit... people are willing to swap companies.
If Sony hangs out on the bottom of the sales charts in November and December, the 10-year plan is shot and they'll have to start over.
daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By daniel_beck_90
hendersonman said:

I think they lost this generation. Third place is where they will stay. But there is always hope for the next Gen.

"
I totally agree with you , PS3 will always remain as the third console during this generation and I think  Sony can not do much  of a thing about next generation (2012) either .
 right now Microsoft is preparing the lineup for its next Xbox  which will come to market on 2012 but Sony is still struggling with PSN , its console price , losing Excusive titles and on , so I think unless a miracle happens Sony may even lose the next generation .
Dalai said:
If Sony hangs out on the bottom of the sales charts in November and December, the 10-year plan is shot and they'll have to start over."
I guess their position on November will be  slightly better becasue of again Little Big Planet and Resistance 2  but I am sure it will still remain at the bottom of the chart simply becasue Microsoft shipped titles like Gears Of War 2 during  November
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Emilio

Not surprised but impressed that Fable II sold that many copies.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By atejas

To some extent, this is a good thing. I would hate to see the same company dominate the race three generations in a row.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By daniel_beck_90
atejas said:
"To some extent, this is a good thing. I would hate to see the same company dominate the race three generations in a row."
C-c-c-c-c-combo Breaker  lol