#1 Posted by RonnieColeManMrO (31 posts) -

Is this latest npd report on sales really that something to be worried about. On neogaf they are saying this is doom for the consoles.

#2 Posted by BIGJEFFREY (5050 posts) -

Yes Nintendo is doomed, Microsoft will drop out of console, we will all own Amazon android consoles.

#3 Edited by Jeust (10648 posts) -

Yes Nintendo is doomed, Microsoft will drop out of console, we will all own Amazon android consoles.

And Skynet will be on android's next update. Stay tunned!

#4 Posted by believer258 (11908 posts) -

PC gaming FTW!

#5 Edited by Crembaw (411 posts) -

No, the NPD report didn't say anything we didn't already know. Digital is up compared to last year, social and mobile are still taking a huge share, but hardware sales were up in Q4 and retail doesn't seem to be going anywhere any time soon.

The last three months have proven that despite the incessant whining of John Walker and countless members of the 'Master Race', consoles are still huge players for at least the next two years. The video game segment of Sony is doing very well despite layoffs in other segments of the company, Microsoft does not seem poised to just ditch the Xbox One very soon, and while the WiiU is doing very poorly, Nintendo has enough money and stubbornness to not let go of it.

#6 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

Is this latest npd report on sales really that something to be worried about. On neogaf they are saying this is doom for the consoles.

No why should they? Xbox One and PS4 had record sales in December and with the PS4 supply constrained there is no way it could sold more than that. The One decline is also no surprise. Higher price, bad image and right now only core gamer are buying these new consoles. The only notable thing is that we are seeing a shift towards PS4 in the US so I would expect a difference which is on PS2 levels in terms of world wide sales. Right now the PS4 is dominant everywhere and this will not change soon. Microsoft needs to react with maybe the rumored Kinect less One for 400$ or they will have a hard time trying to catch up.

#7 Posted by crithon (3239 posts) -

I would love it if it was a website to look it up and not some message board, where I have no idea what the figures are.

#8 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@crithon: The neogaf thread is as close as you can get for real figures. There are a lot of insiders in there and the rest will be collected as well. For the most important stuff it is enough to read the OP if you want special figures you can probably find them in these long long threads^^

#9 Posted by afabs515 (1079 posts) -

Is console gaming done again!? I fucking hate it when this happens! This is why I switched to PC gaming.

#10 Posted by Crembaw (411 posts) -

@afabs515 said:

Is console gaming done again!? I fucking hate it when this happens! This is why I switched to PC gaming.

PC games are barely video games, anyway.

#11 Edited by crithon (3239 posts) -

@darji: AHHHHHHHHHHHHH, okay okay, still just seeing top 10 kinda not interested, would love to see just RAW NUMBERS. And it seems people there have those numbers on file for themselves.

#12 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@crithon said:

@darji: AHHHHHHHHHHHHH, okay okay, still just seeing top 10 kinda not interested, would love to see just RAW NUMBERS. And it seems people there have those numbers on file for themselves.

Raw numbers are almost impossible to get since it is illegal to post these. Normally you have to pay a lot for these numbers and since NPD only releases the top software sales these days. It is rather hard to get on these numbers. Most of it is calculated by %. For example if you knew the number from last year and hardware or software sales increased by a certain percentage you can get numbers from it. Sometimes people will leak numbers or say stuff like <50k etc but that is the most you sadly can get.

stuff like this:

270K < PS4 < 272K

140K < Xbox One < 142K

48K < Wii U < 50K

#13 Posted by crithon (3239 posts) -

@darji: hmmmmm but what about like numbers on 10 year old Wind Waker's original Gamecube release? That's something I'd love to research, because Nintendo is so open about how poorly that did compared to Ocarina of time and Twilight Princess.

Yes, it's hard researching most of this stuff, because most that comes out of publisher is something to brag about instead of actual really data. But then again, that's probably the point.

#14 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@crithon said:

@darji: hmmmmm but what about like numbers on 10 year old Wind Waker's original Gamecube release? That's something I'd love to research, because Nintendo is so open about how poorly that did compared to Ocarina of time and Twilight Princess.

Yes, it's hard researching most of this stuff, because most that comes out of publisher is something to brag about instead of actual really data. But then again, that's probably the point.

for very old numbers VGchartz is the best you can get. But these numbers should not be taken as a fact. They are updating their stuff constantly when their guesses are wrong but not always.

#15 Edited by ShaggE (6453 posts) -

On neogaf they are saying this is doom for the consoles.

They couldn't be more wrong.

THIS is Doom for the consoles:

#16 Edited by Hailinel (24798 posts) -

@shagge said:

@ronniecolemanmro said:

On neogaf they are saying this is doom for the consoles.

They couldn't be more wrong.

THIS is Doom for the consoles:

Uh...wow! I didn't realize SNES Doom was a Super FX game.

#17 Edited by ShaggE (6453 posts) -

@hailinel: Yepyep. Although I'd say it was a Mediocre FX game at best. Never could stand that port.

#18 Edited by crithon (3239 posts) -

@darji: yeah yeah, seeing some of that stuff.... looks off. But yeah, I have a friend who works at a tech blog pretty much says the same thing as you did. It's interesting, how much more people just wildly speculate. But yeah even on the Bombcast when they all were shocked how Defender made over a billion dollars, just goes to show how we really don't know anything about financials.

#19 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@crithon said:

@darji: yeah yeah, seeing some of that stuff.... looks off. But yeah, I have a friend who works at a tech blog pretty much says the same thing as you did. It's interesting, how much more people just wildly speculate. But yeah even on the Bombcast when they all were shocked how Defender made over a billion dollars, just goes to show how we really don't know anything about financials.

Yeah people forget that 10 year old games still sell. if they are good or famous. What we only get are the first year at max of sales which are mostly like 90% of overall sales for a title. But even today we are seeing surprises like with Hitman or Sleeping dogs which at first were flops but in the end sold well enough to justify sequels^^

#20 Edited by Marokai (2972 posts) -

The NPD report said nothing more than what anyone already knew. Nintendo is losing relevance in general, the Xbox One is doing worse because it has the impression of being a flawed and expensive product, and Sony's doing very well. It's not worth being doom and gloomy about, the dedicated gaming market is just going through a much needed and frankly expected market correction.

#21 Edited by joshwent (2207 posts) -

Am I the only one who doesn't completely trust "business insiders" who hang around on an internet message board?

#22 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@joshwent said:

Am I the only one who doesn't completely trust "business insiders" who hang around on an internet message board?

that is why you only trust certain people. People with these numbers or the ones you can trust have made a name and deserve trust. If you post something wrong as fact or wrong rumors without telling mods first you get instantly banned from Neogaf. That is why all the stuff on there is pretty much trustworthy.

#23 Posted by crithon (3239 posts) -

@darji: YES!!! just reminded how Jason Rubin talks about how Crash Bandicoot PS1 version helped them out for the longest time. And even Double Fine is open talking about the rights to their series it does help the entire conversation for developers to talk about this. Well the problem is NPD has turned into a box office type mentality, it does help at least to give one a small glimpse into the industry and to understand if it's viable to actually continue doing this or that, but really long tail games do help out publishers and developers.

That's why I bring up Wind Waker, I remember seeing a graph charting sales of Zelda games and then Wind Waker made this really amazing drop between Ocarina and Twilight. But still it was never a complete failure enough for Nintendo to dabble into that world every now and then.

#24 Edited by Gamer_152 (14078 posts) -

Some interesting discussion happens on NeoGAF, but some wildly misguided posts also get made on NeoGAF. Don't take anything there as gospel. People seeing poor video game sales and predicting that the sky is falling in the world of video games has been happening periodically for the last few years. I don't think what the AAA games industry are doing is sustainable long-term, but it'll take a damn convincing argument to tell me that consoles are on the verge of armageddon right this second.

#25 Posted by Fattony12000 (7416 posts) -

vita means life

#26 Edited by Chaser324 (6544 posts) -

Could someone please provide a little context so that I don't have to look at NeoGAF and can resist the urge to lock this thread...(there's too much active discussion for me to lock it anyway).

#27 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@gamer_152: Yeah this is discussion is stupid. I only go for facts there thats for sure. Both PS4 and XBox One had record sales and even software wise. If I remember correctly 'Ubisoft said that over 30% of Ass Creed IV sales were on next gen for example. Which is pretty big to begin with. The other software was the same. And with nothing new coming out after that of course Software sales are plunging. Also we should not forget that PS4 and One have to catch the very bad soft and hardware sales of the Wii U as well. Right now it is basically like only 2 system exist software wise.

What you can say however is that these record sales will push developer into pushing more next gen titles out and with more games more people will buy these systems. I mean you just need to take a look at this here.

#28 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3736 posts) -

@chaser324 said:

Could someone please provide a little context so that I don't have to look at NeoGAF and can resist the urge to lock this thread...(there's too much active discussion for me to lock it anyway).

Game sales are down 1% from last year, when adjusting for the 4 week month this year, so oh noz! Everbody panic!!

http://venturebeat.com/2014/02/13/january-2014-npd-playstation-4-extends-its-lead/

Also the thread creator is somehow under the impression that Giant Bomb forum members can read minds.

Here's the thread I made concerning the topic, which actually can be understood without psychic powers:

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/ps4-outsells-xbox-one-by-nearly-2-to-1-in-january-1471907