• 81 results
#1 Edited by Marz (5649 posts) -

Just announced at the Nvidia Press Conference 
Tegra 4 powered, Android OS..... Looks like a controller with a screen attached. 
 5 inch  720p multitouch retinal display 
link to the product on the official nvidia website.

Has HDMI out to play on TV's and etc.  Looks kinda cool.  

They played some Hawken on it and seemed to run well, albeit lower quality looking. 
 They also showed that it has capabilities of streaming PC games from your computer to the device and play your Steam games through the device.  Using their new GFE (geforce experience) program, NVIDIA GTX 600 Series required for streaming pc games.
#2 Posted by Zuldim (288 posts) -

So bizarre, and out of left field. Were there even any rumors about this? I'm impressed they were able to keep it under the radar so long.

That said, I'm shocked that Nvidia is suddenly looking at the market and saying, "Yes, now is clearly the best time for us to enter the handheld hardware market!"

#3 Posted by coribald (312 posts) -

This thing will never happen. Way too insane. We'll hear that it's been cancelled within a year due to "unforeseen changes in the market" or some nonsense.

#4 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2028 posts) -

@Zuldim said:

So bizarre, and out of left field. Were there even any rumors about this? I'm impressed they were able to keep it under the radar so long.

That said, I'm shocked that Nvidia is suddenly looking at the market and saying, "Yes, now is clearly the best time for us to enter the handheld hardware market!"

Yeah these are exactly my thoughts.

I guess after people found out about the Ouya, some higher up at Nvidia went all "hey wait I can get in on this too!" Not sure how this is going to end for either player. I don't think it will end too well, I can't see any gaming-dedicated Android device go far. Then again I've never even played on one before so it might actually turn out pretty cool. More likely not, though.

#5 Posted by L44 (556 posts) -

I'm keen.

#6 Posted by Th3_James (2577 posts) -

STEAM STREAMING TO IT.......I CAN PLAY MY PC GAMES IN THE BATHROOM OR MY KITCHEN NOW. HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

#7 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

Well that was unexpected.

#8 Posted by mrpandaman (864 posts) -

@Th3_James said:

STEAM STREAMING TO IT.......I CAN PLAY MY PC GAMES IN THE BATHROOM. HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT indeed.

#9 Posted by Marz (5649 posts) -
@Th3_James said:

STEAM STREAMING TO IT.......I CAN PLAY MY PC GAMES IN THE BATHROOM OR MY KITCHEN NOW. HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

I had similar thoughts, also seems like it can be a portable hub to stream a game to another TV via the HDMI as well.  So your PC is in one room and you want to play it on your big screen in another room, it can do that.
#10 Posted by Jay_Ray (1084 posts) -

@Th3_James said:

I'm never leaving my bathroom now

#11 Posted by GalacticGravy (548 posts) -

Awesome. I hope they really nail some smaller market that the Vita/3DS don't satisfy.

#12 Posted by Th3_James (2577 posts) -

Time to fix my wifi situation. Have terrible signal throughout my house. Gonna buy about 3-4 repeaters.

#13 Posted by casper_ (903 posts) -

cue bombcast guys talking about how they dont want to play pc/console type games on a portable device

#14 Posted by Th3_James (2577 posts) -

@casper_ said:

cue bombcast guys talking about how they dont want to play pc/console type games on a portable device

I should drill holes in my wall and put wireless keyboard receivers all over my house so I can just use it as a screen

#15 Posted by Brendan (7780 posts) -

I have no interest in this. This seems like it's for a very specific person though, so good for them I suppose.

#16 Posted by Marz (5649 posts) -
@casper_ said:

true, though at the same time they enjoyed the capability of playing new Super Mario Bros U on just the wii u gamepad so who knows what their reaciton will be.
#17 Posted by Woodroez (344 posts) -

I just searched "nvidia" on Google and Forbes has a story on SHIELD, calling in "Disruptive" in the headline. Eat shit, Forbes.

Nvidia's official website has a page on the device. "Featured" games include ACIII, BF3, Borderlands 2, and Skyrim. It's also an Android device.

The screen is 5 inches, 720p, multi-touch. Sounds like they took the one novel idea of the WiiU and focused on it.

There's a catch; you need a pc with a GTX card to stream to Shield.

#18 Posted by granderojo (1778 posts) -

It looks like an Xbox product. They should have partnered with Microsoft to make this, just like with the Zune HD.

#19 Posted by K9 (621 posts) -

There is nothing about the design that makes it look portable. In some ways this system is more like a Wii U, except with third party support. Since it is running on android I see huge potential for emulators. If this gets priced around 150 bucks maybe it will have a chance competing with VIta; but it probably will go on sale for 300 or more.

This whole endeavor just goes on to show that Nvidia shouldn't have been douche bags with the console makers last generation. Now all three console makers are on ATI for how Nvidia did its business with Microsoft. Not getting any slice of console business is probably what drove them to make their own console.

#20 Posted by TruthTellah (8853 posts) -

Everyone seems so focused on the handheld, but that was hardly the focus of their presentation. The amazing thing was that the handheld will be powered by their new Tegra 4, and potentially, any future device with a Tegra 4 processor will have similar capability as the handheld.

Thus, for Nvidia, this is about getting Tegra 4 processors out there in many, many devices and expanding this capability to every device. People keep talking about a "Steam Box", and this has the potential to allow for that and more. Imagine your phone or tablet as a portable "Steam Box" that you can plug into any TV in your home or even just play right on the device. With more and more support for wireless controllers and hardcore controller add-ons for phones and tablets, almost any device with a Tegra 4 could become a "Shield" handheld.

This presentation showed the potential of their new processor, and technology like it will soon be in every major device out there. That's what makes this news so exciting.

#21 Posted by JJOR64 (18956 posts) -

So this or Vita?

#22 Posted by TheHT (11155 posts) -

good luck with that, i hope it works out for them.

#23 Posted by Orbitz89 (229 posts) -

Seems like a neat console, But I'm content with my Vita. Thanks anyway Nvidia.

#24 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@thabigred said:

It looks like an Xbox product. They should have partnered with Microsoft to make this, just like with the Zune HD.

Microsoft hate PC gaming though, I imagine that is why they inflicted GFWL on us and refuse to allow Forza and such PC release.

#25 Posted by xMEGADETHxSLY (446 posts) -

Cant Play PC games, no thanks.

#26 Posted by sub_o (891 posts) -

@Woodroez said:

I just searched "nvidia" on Google and Forbes has a story on SHIELD, calling in "Disruptive" in the headline. Eat shit, Forbes.

Nvidia's official website has a page on the device. "Featured" games include ACIII, BF3, Borderlands 2, and Skyrim. It's also an Android device.

The screen is 5 inches, 720p, multi-touch. Sounds like they took the one novel idea of the WiiU and focused on it.

There's a catch; you need a pc with a GTX card to stream to Shield.

There's also this Grid thing, which seems to be a cloud gaming servers. What I really hope that they would open up Grid for more than gaming (e.g. scientific computing, processing image features, etc), and let organizations or business entities subscribe to it. That would be interesting.

Anyway, it's interesting to see NVidia trying to enter gaming market.

#27 Posted by envane (1162 posts) -

ou ya this looks ok

#28 Posted by ShatterShock (70 posts) -

Honestly the most interesting part of this device was learning that the introduction video was done in Unreal Engine 4.

#29 Posted by granderojo (1778 posts) -

@Sooty said:

@thabigred said:

Microsoft hate PC gaming though, I imagine that is why they inflicted GFWL on us and refuse to allow Forza and such PC release.

Microsoft does not hate PC gaming. They just failed miserably at it with GFWL and continue to double down on the walled garden approach. I was talking about pure aesthetics, and I don't mean just the green color. It looks like the Xbox slim in matte black in handheld form.

#30 Posted by musclerider (589 posts) -

This'll be a new generation's 3DO

#31 Posted by Gamer_152 (14072 posts) -

I think it says a lot that when you visit the site for this product, the first thing you see isn't a feature list, or a picture of the console, but a photograph of the CPU inside it. It's really weird, and I wouldn't be that surprised if this thing just tanked or even never made it to production, but it is pretty cool that you can play Steam games on it.

#32 Posted by mellotronrules (1192 posts) -

this is pretty much the exact thing (plus a lot extra) that the boys on the bombcast were asking for- a device that can stream content from their steam library either locally to the device or pipe it through to their televisions. that alone makes it VERY interesting- not only would your steam games be available on the go, but it's also compelling just as a living room companion. the dealbreaker will be the pricing, however.

i couldn't care less about the android business, but the idea of an untethered steam is VERY interesting indeed.

#33 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2217 posts) -

As much as I like Nvidia I'm just not interested in any handheld, I rarely play my 3DS.

#34 Posted by DukesT3 (1912 posts) -

But how do you close it..? Or does the screen detach from the conrtroller?

Looks neat I guess, depending on the price point and when its released I might be interested.

#35 Posted by Worcanna (90 posts) -

Hey....Nvidia. Um. We need to talk. We know you like to show off and some of your ideas are kinda cool. A handheld streaming device is not cool. As silly as this sounds, if people WANT to play PC games at other points of their house, they would put the PC there. No room? They tend to find ways.

Im kinda glad im not the only one who looks at this and simply goes, "Why?"

#36 Posted by Nadril (527 posts) -

Weird handheld, but cool technology I guess. With all of these 'android powered' game devices coming out though are we ever going to get any decent games for android? I honestly don't know of any beyond the "standard" mobile titles.

I guess maybe these devices (this and the other console thing) are going to get their own android titles to take advantage of the better processing power? It just seems weird to me.

#37 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Can i play dota on it or not?

#38 Posted by Marz (5649 posts) -
@LooseChange said:

But how do you close it..? Or does the screen detach from the conrtroller?

Looks neat I guess, depending on the price point and when its released I might be interested.

the controller part is curved in and looks like you can close the screen on top of it.
#39 Posted by Branthog (5562 posts) -

@casper_ said:

You mean, cue bombcast guys talking about how they don't want to play PC games. Didn't they only review like ten PC games in all of 2012? :P

#40 Posted by TheManiacsGnome (269 posts) -

I thought it looked neat, I just didn't know who it was for.

#41 Posted by BaconGames (3371 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

Everyone seems so focused on the handheld, but that was hardly the focus of their presentation. The amazing thing was that the handheld will be powered by their new Tegra 4, and potentially, any future device with a Tegra 4 processor will have similar capability as the handheld.

Thus, for Nvidia, this is about getting Tegra 4 processors out there in many, many devices and expanding this capability to every device. People keep talking about a "Steam Box", and this has the potential to allow for that and more. Imagine your phone or tablet as a portable "Steam Box" that you can plug into any TV in your home or even just play right on the device. With more and more support for wireless controllers and hardcore controller add-ons for phones and tablets, almost any device with a Tegra 4 could become a "Shield" handheld.

This presentation showed the potential of their new processor, and technology like it will soon be in every major device out there. That's what makes this news so exciting.

I'll be damned if that isn't the future. Having one main processing box that sends out video and game streams to your TV, game device, portable device, or phone is what I think all this stuff will eventually involve. Putting it into this context, this makes a lot of sense as a showcase device. It's probably not meant for a mass market audience and as you said, if Tegra 4 is a success, then good on them for it. I think we've got some ways to go before the ideal situation is there but here's hoping Tegra 4 is a step in the right direction. Now the pressure is one Sony and Microsoft to take advantage of this concept with their hardware. Microsoft already has SmartGlass, which is a good start and better if they can really take advantage with their next box. Sony has some of that with the Vita but I think they need to go much further in that direction. Although, there's big talk of Gykai being something they might leverage.

Just as with this last generation of consoles dramatically changing but gradually over the years, this new one just might see us with this kind of full connectivity between tablet, console, etc. and/or further focus on online streaming both of gameplay from a cloud service and video of game and movies from your box to another device. Man, just talking about this shit is making me excited for the next generation of console hardware.

#42 Posted by Metzo_Paino (318 posts) -

@K9 said:

This whole endeavor just goes on to show that Nvidia shouldn't have been douche bags with the console makers last generation. Now all three console makers are on ATI for how Nvidia did its business with Microsoft. Not getting any slice of console business is probably what drove them to make their own console.

What did they do? I've heard this several times but everyone just seems to know about it so nobody explains why.

If all the next gen consoles are ATI to me this seems like grandstanding. Nvidia have never done mobile GPUs too well (phone and tablet size, not laptop), so by making Shield they can go to Samsung etc and say "look how dedicated we are to this, put our chips in your next set of phones".

#43 Posted by Dark (378 posts) -

The actual design of the device BLEEDS bad design.

As much as I don't like it, android gaming consoles are here to stay for a fair while.

#44 Posted by Butler (384 posts) -

@Worcanna said:

Hey....Nvidia. Um. We need to talk. We know you like to show off and some of your ideas are kinda cool. A handheld streaming device is not cool. As silly as this sounds, if people WANT to play PC games at other points of their house, they would put the PC there. No room? They tend to find ways.

Im kinda glad im not the only one who looks at this and simply goes, "Why?"

Why not?

There are three major console game console developing companies who have been around way longer than they should have by now and I'm bored of it. So why the hell not? Let's have Nvidia come out of left field (at least for me) with this quirky little device. More companies taking risks on ideas means we profit in the long run.

#45 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

There's certainly a lot of really great functionality to come from something like this, but jesus christ is it tacky as hell.

#46 Posted by Bollard (5454 posts) -

Who in the fuck thinks "You know what sucks? The fact I can't play Skyrim on my PC while taking a shit."

#47 Posted by Vexxan (4620 posts) -

It kind of looks like a terrible mock-up.

#48 Posted by Korwin (2851 posts) -

I'm more interested in getting a Tegra 4 in a Nexus 7...2. Love my current one but Tegra 3 has always been a bit on the slow side when stacked against the competition.

#49 Posted by K9 (621 posts) -

@Metzo_Paino said:

@K9 said:

What did they do? I've heard this several times but everyone just seems to know about it so nobody explains why.

When Microsoft was trying to manufacture newer iterations of Xbox they requested Nvidia to adjust their GPU price since the card was months old. Nvidia refused to budge on their original pricing. Now no console manufacturer wants to do business with them.

#50 Posted by Winternet (8015 posts) -

wat?