#1 Posted by Gruebacca (506 posts) -

The latest update came out today, and I downloaded it without thinking, of course. After a few minutes of installing, the screen suddenly went black for five minutes. Then a few beeps sounded off, and then Windows told me that the install failed. I attempted another install, and it succeeded. Is this a normal problem, or is this a fluke? Anyone else have similar stories?

#2 Edited by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

No. Just you. Troubleshoot your system.

#3 Posted by Slaegar (695 posts) -

It must be on your end since Nvidia our lord and master is incapable of failure. You sure you don't have an AMD video card? I hear they only catch on fire and they don't have drivers. Sounds like that might be your problem.

One time I had a GTX 460 go up in smoke (made quite a smell) but that must have been my fault. A couple months ago the 9800 GT in another computer up and died too, but I'm sure the internet chess that computer was enduring was just an unnaturally harsh load on the graphics.

I once tried to overclock a card that wasn't having it. The screen would randomly go black for about 5 seconds. That same GTX 460 would also randomly go out and pop back in saying the display driver had stopped functioning.

Apart from that I don't have any odd video stories.

#4 Posted by JoeyRavn (4950 posts) -

@slaegar said:

It must be on your end since Nvidia our lord and master is incapable of failure. You sure you don't have an AMD video card? I hear they only catch on fire and they don't have drivers. Sounds like that might be your problem.

Chances are he doesn't have a reference GPU, so if you want to blame someone, blame the card's manufacturer (which probably isn't NVIDIA). And NVIDIA is the one that has a reputation of getting extremely hot. AMD's cards are much cooler... though it is true that their drivers are generally lackluster.

You seem a bit bitter, to be honest.

#5 Posted by Slaegar (695 posts) -

@joeyravn said:

@slaegar said:

Chances are he doesn't have a reference GPU, so if you want to blame someone, blame the card's manufacturer (which probably isn't NVIDIA). And NVIDIA is the one that has a reputation of getting extremely hot. AMD's cards are much cooler... though it is true that their drivers are generally lackluster.

You seem a bit bitter, to be honest.

I'm the bitterest. I just have a lot of beef with people complaining about AMD drivers after all these years when Nvidia is putting out WHQL drivers that are bricking cards. Just google 320.18 WHQL.

Now Nvidia is paying off Origin to smear AMD.

People love to hate AMD when they are pretty much the only competition to both Intel and Nvidia. We need them to do well or Intel is going to keep re-releasing Sandy Bridge slightly differently every year and Nvidia is going to way over charge on their cards. With the R7 and R9 lines coming out Nvidia dropped their prices to reasonable levels.

It feels like people hate competition sometimes so I get bitter. I did manage to make my previous post slightly on topic though.

Anyway it seems the OP is interested in stories since he solved the problem himself.

So here's another even though its stretching the topic a bit.

Trying to plug a computer into an old CRT via S-video the picture ended up looking rounded at all the corners even though game consoles, DVD players, cable TV, all looked fine. It was one of those later model TVs were the CRT was flat in the front. There was also an underscan issue but the curling of the picture was much stranger. I tried to set it up to watch youtube on the TV but it failed terribly.

It was also a laptop running linux for what that's worth. I usually use vanilla Ubuntu on my laptop even though I prefer Ubuntu-forks because multimonitor stuff is bonanzas on some of the off shoots.

#6 Edited by Fattony12000 (7101 posts) -

Do you have more than one monitor plugged in?

#7 Posted by Tarsier (1057 posts) -

The latest update came out today, and I downloaded it without thinking, of course. After a few minutes of installing, the screen suddenly went black for five minutes. Then a few beeps sounded off, and then Windows told me that the install failed. I attempted another install, and it succeeded. Is this a normal problem, or is this a fluke? Anyone else have similar stories?

i had a similar problem and i restarted my computer and it didnt recognize my graphics card so i had to reinstall the drivers.

#8 Posted by SongWriter1987 (123 posts) -

Try resetting the CMOS on your motherboard.