#1 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I'm sitting here writing (or procrastinating on writing) a Soul Reaver blog, and I'm just now talking about the blocks. There are so many blocks in that game, and it got me on a tangent. Block puzzles were the most ubiquitous feature of 5th generation game design, and exploding barrels took their place the next generation. But what defines our generation? What all too common object defines our generation?

I guess this one's going to be more of a discussion, really, since I'm too lazy to organize a poll. Anybody else can handle that shit, though.

#2 Posted by JoeyRavn (5002 posts) -

A massive purple dildo.

#3 Posted by Baillie (4274 posts) -

Perks, if that counts as an object?

#4 Posted by alanm26v5 (462 posts) -

QTE prompts? I guess those started in last generation with games like God of War and Resident Evil 4, but they're everywhere now.

#5 Edited by MB (12910 posts) -

@joeyravn said:

A massive purple dildo.

I'm so pleased that this was the first response to this topic. The Giant Bomb community never disappoints.

Moderator Online
#6 Posted by RNiemeijer (132 posts) -

Women

#7 Posted by brownsfantb (407 posts) -

The Portal gun or Weighted Companion Cube. Or a giant purple dildo.

#8 Posted by SlashDance (1839 posts) -

@joeyravn said:

A massive purple dildo.

/thread

#9 Posted by EXTomar (4916 posts) -

Bows seem to have a strong presence.

#10 Edited by Gruebacca (559 posts) -

Ragdoll.

It may not be tangible, but it's as iconic as the other two you mentioned.

#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@extomar said:

Bows seem to have a strong presence.

This reflects a strange bias I've noticed in the "_______ of the generation" fervor: people holding up the end of the generation as representative of the entire generation. Recency effect, I guess.

#12 Edited by Jeust (10803 posts) -
#13 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1627 posts) -

@baillie said:

Perks, if that counts as an object?

I intended to write this. Bless your heart.

#14 Posted by Veektarius (4967 posts) -

Xbox controllers

#15 Posted by DeadpanCakes (1040 posts) -

@jeust said:

@slashdance said:

@joeyravn said:

A massive purple dildo.

/thread

Yep, I stand by it too.

I'm not entirely sure why people are still offering suggestions.

This thread should have been a poll with "A massive purple dildo" as the only option.

#16 Edited by Rafaelfc (1411 posts) -

Climbing stuff

#17 Posted by cloudymusic (1218 posts) -

Big-ass ramps.

#18 Posted by LackingSaint (1846 posts) -

Individual fingers.

#19 Posted by SomberOwl (709 posts) -

Guns... The first person shooter and even third person shooters took off to even greater heights this gen. Between the massive succsess off COD and new IP like Gears of War, BioShock, Mass Effect, etcetera. Plus the continuing popularity of franchises like Halo. Everything popular had guns.

#20 Edited by ProfessorEss (7467 posts) -

@joeyravn got it right out of the gate!

Though my personal "OotG" is a backpack filled with an unlimited number of detachable parachutes*.

(*best when combined with a grappling hook and a complete lack of respect for physics)

#21 Posted by believer258 (12075 posts) -

@jeust said:

@slashdance said:

@joeyravn said:

A massive purple dildo.

/thread

Yep, I stand by it too.

I'm not entirely sure why people are still offering suggestions.

This thread should have been a poll with "A massive purple dildo" as the only option.

Yeah, that's the first thing I thought when I saw the title of this thread. It's really the only correct answer. In fact, I was under the assumption that no one was bringing up "object of the generation" because it should be understood by everyone that "massive purple dildo" was the only answer anyone would give.

#22 Posted by Jimbo (9928 posts) -
#23 Posted by plaintomato (599 posts) -

Best answer so far:

Individual fingers.

But I'd have to say the Generic Manly Man is the real object of the generation.

http://www.destructoid.com/brown-hair-and-stubble-the-new-face-of-modern-videogames-178442.phtml

http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/06/22/the-devolution-of-character-designs

Generation 7 will go down in history as that point in time where mass marketability and focus testing became more important to the video game industry than creativity and vision.

#24 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Generation 7 will go down in history as that point in time where mass marketability and focus testing became more important to the video game industry than creativity and vision.

What about the 90s? You know, when half of video games were mascot platformers?

#25 Posted by BigJeffrey (5136 posts) -
#26 Edited by plaintomato (599 posts) -

@plaintomato said:

You mean when console games were marketed like toys and cartoons? And there was a butt-ton of interesting stuff coming from creative visionaries on the PC side? If I had to guess at a difference I'd guess that in the 90s most of the mascot platformers were budget shovelware that wasn't all that important to the industry. In Gen 7 you've got big money behind the new mascot. Colorful Hybrid Animal Thing is out and Generic Manly Man is in.

#28 Edited by believer258 (12075 posts) -

@plaintomato said:

@video_game_king said:

@plaintomato said:

You mean when console games were marketed like toys and cartoons? And there was a butt-ton of interesting stuff coming from creative visionaries on the PC side? If I had to guess at a difference I'd guess that in the 90s most of the mascot platformers were budget shovelware that wasn't all that important to the industry. In Gen 7 you've got big money behind the new mascot. Colorful Hybrid Animal Thing is out and Generic Manly Man is in.

This post is pretty damn ignorant of the strides that indie games and downloadable games have made in terms of "creative vision". Have you seen Braid, Journey, Minecraft, Terraria, Mark of the Ninja, Thomas Was Alone, or Bastion? Not to mention the likes of Darksiders, Alan Wake, Dark Souls, Dead Space, Left 4 Dead, Portal, etc., all of which are pretty original and pretty interesting in their own ways. And we've got No Man's Sky, The Witness, and Destiny to look forward to in terms of games with "creative vision".

Yeah, I'd say the industry has evolved past mascot platformers. Generic Manly Man is an easily marketable public face but you only have to do the tiniest bit of investigating to see that modern gaming is hardly limited to that.

#29 Posted by Tesla (1938 posts) -

Guns... The first person shooter and even third person shooters took off to even greater heights this gen. Between the massive succsess off COD and new IP like Gears of War, BioShock, Mass Effect, etcetera. Plus the continuing popularity of franchises like Halo. Everything popular had guns.

Yup. While other answers may be more witty responses, this is the correct one.

#30 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -
@tesla said:

@somberowl said:

Yup. While other answers may be more witty responses, this is the correct one.

I think I agree

red dot sights, intricate reload animations, that weird arm rowing animation every FPS uses when you run with a gun

#31 Edited by csl316 (9229 posts) -

Arrows telling you where to go.

Blocks signified the confusion that that era could bring. "How the hell do I progress, where do I go? What's this Gamefaqs thing I keep hearing about?"

Arrows at the push of a button, flickering lights to catch your attention, a Follow man... it all signified the "oh god go here and finish the game" mentality of campaigns last gen.

#32 Posted by afabs515 (1256 posts) -

Women

I am so surprised that no one to this point has caught this and commented on it.

#33 Edited by crithon (3439 posts) -

guns, because Minecraft, Portal and Gone is an FPS

I'd love it if like candy color boxes were a THING, but then rock band is DEAD

#34 Posted by plaintomato (599 posts) -

@plaintomato said:

@video_game_king said:

@plaintomato said:

This post is pretty damn ignorant of the strides that indie games and downloadable games have made in terms of "creative vision". Have you seen Braid, Journey, Minecraft, Terraria, Mark of the Ninja, Thomas Was Alone, or Bastion? Not to mention the likes of Darksiders, Alan Wake, Dark Souls, Dead Space, Left 4 Dead, Portal, etc., all of which are pretty original and pretty interesting in their own ways. And we've got No Man's Sky, The Witness, and Destiny to look forward to in terms of games with "creative vision".

Yeah, I'd say the industry has evolved past mascot platformers. Generic Manly Man is an easily marketable public face but you only have to do the tiniest bit of investigating to see that modern gaming is hardly limited to that.

Oh man, there's always somebody out there who can't read but has something to write. My comment might have been a little pessimistic, and maybe I'm wrong like VGK pointed out, but you really have to perform some awkward mental gymnastics to think I said "modern gaming is limited" to Generic Manly Man. Batting at imaginary shadows like that has me worried about you. It could be paranoid schizophrenia. You might want to get checked out. Just sayin'.

#35 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

you really have to perform some awkward mental gymnastics to think I said "modern gaming is limited" to Generic Manly Man.

Not really. You did say that marketing and focus testing are king of this generation, and those usually connote sameiness and conservative game design. All I need do is supply what conservative game design, which isn't much of a leap.

Batting at imaginary shadows like that has me worried about you. It could be paranoid schizophrenia. You might want to get checked out. Just sayin'.

Is there a "what the fuck" emoticon? Because I feel I could use one.

#36 Posted by believer258 (12075 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@plaintomato said:

@video_game_king said:

@plaintomato said:

Oh man, there's always somebody out there who can't read but has something to write. My comment might have been a little pessimistic, and maybe I'm wrong like VGK pointed out, but you really have to perform some awkward mental gymnastics to think I said "modern gaming is limited" to Generic Manly Man. Batting at imaginary shadows like that has me worried about you. It could be paranoid schizophrenia. You might want to get checked out. Just sayin'.

Well, I mean, you did say

Colorful Hybrid Animal Thing is out and Generic Manly Man is in.

and let's not forget your original comment

I assumed that this meant you were talking about creative dryness in the video games industry, when we're arguably at a peak of creativity and have been for a few years now. How is that "awkward mental gymnastics"? What was your actual point, anyway? That the most popular games these days are focus-tested to death? OK, yes, games targeted at a mass market are focus tested, that's a key part of making things popular. People who throw millions of dollars at a project like to do what they can to make sure that it will sell. That hardly means that creativity and vision aren't important to the industry, or that they don't exist even in the biggest budgeted of games. See GTA V, The Last of Us, and Bioshock Infinite for evidence of that.

#37 Edited by Mezmero (2015 posts) -

Digital mosaic censorship. Worked for Stay Dead. It's either that or play and charge cables. It only took a whole generation of video games to show me that wired controllers are the bane of my existence.