Oblivion Complete

amarriner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Edited By amarriner

I finished off Oblivion last night. The Shivering Isles main quest was the last thing I was working on, and I was able to put it to rest. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews from friends on Oblivion, but I really enjoyed it. It's a really massive game that just makes you feel like you're in a real living world. People have schedules, react to each other, and mention things you've done. It's not perfect, but still a terrific game. The Shivering Isles main quest was particularly good (better than the main quest in the base game, in my opinion).

There were definitely some bugs in the game as I mentioned in a blog post yesterday. I was getting nervous towards the end because things seemed to be unraveling on me. The bug from yesterday and a few other more minor ones seemed to be happening with more frequency as I was nearing the end. So much so that I was getting nervous that something catastrophic would happen. At one point, I drank a potion of invisibility which lasted almost the remainder of the game for me. Strange.

Good though the game was, I'm happy to put it behind me for now. There were certainly times when it felt like it dragged along a bit. I removed it from my XBOX 360 Single Player Pending list and pushed Mass Effect to the top which I'm excited about. I don't have the second game yet, but I'd started the first a while back and am looking forward to getting back into it. Again I've heard mixed reviews from friends, but I really liked what I played. 

Those mixed reviews brought up and interesting conversation about the more traditional JRPGs and the "newer Western" RPGs. I used to be big into JRPGS. Lately, thought, I've found they don't hold my interest long enough to complete them. I'm not sure why that is, but it seems to hold true almost 100% of the time lately. I do have a few sitting there in my list and I am looking forward to them, but we'll see what happens when I get to them. Eternal Sonata was great--until I put it down part way through Maybe once I get through some of my massive backlog I'll see things differently.

amarriner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By amarriner

I finished off Oblivion last night. The Shivering Isles main quest was the last thing I was working on, and I was able to put it to rest. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews from friends on Oblivion, but I really enjoyed it. It's a really massive game that just makes you feel like you're in a real living world. People have schedules, react to each other, and mention things you've done. It's not perfect, but still a terrific game. The Shivering Isles main quest was particularly good (better than the main quest in the base game, in my opinion).

There were definitely some bugs in the game as I mentioned in a blog post yesterday. I was getting nervous towards the end because things seemed to be unraveling on me. The bug from yesterday and a few other more minor ones seemed to be happening with more frequency as I was nearing the end. So much so that I was getting nervous that something catastrophic would happen. At one point, I drank a potion of invisibility which lasted almost the remainder of the game for me. Strange.

Good though the game was, I'm happy to put it behind me for now. There were certainly times when it felt like it dragged along a bit. I removed it from my XBOX 360 Single Player Pending list and pushed Mass Effect to the top which I'm excited about. I don't have the second game yet, but I'd started the first a while back and am looking forward to getting back into it. Again I've heard mixed reviews from friends, but I really liked what I played. 

Those mixed reviews brought up and interesting conversation about the more traditional JRPGs and the "newer Western" RPGs. I used to be big into JRPGS. Lately, thought, I've found they don't hold my interest long enough to complete them. I'm not sure why that is, but it seems to hold true almost 100% of the time lately. I do have a few sitting there in my list and I am looking forward to them, but we'll see what happens when I get to them. Eternal Sonata was great--until I put it down part way through Maybe once I get through some of my massive backlog I'll see things differently.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By eroticfishcake

It may only be nine games in your list mate but that's going to take a some time to clear up. And that's not any easier when you've got great games coming here and there...

amarriner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By amarriner
@eroticfishcake: Hah yeah tell me about it! :) This list is great, though, as it keeps me focused. I've been jumping around from game to game too much and I need to start knocking some off. We'll see how that goes...
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really loved Oblivion. And I actually ended up enjoying Fallout 3 a bit more. Probably just a result of the setting being a little more interesting for my tastes. 

Mass Effect took some time for me to warm up to. I didn't exactly love it the first time through. I needed a secondary playthrough to fully appreciate that game. That being said, the second one is mind-blowingly good.

amarriner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By amarriner
@Sir_Ragnarok: Yeah actually I played a very small bit of Fallout just to see it and I definitely think I'll agree with you in that I'll probably like it more than Oblivion.

Mass Effect is just so engaging to me. I like the story and the characters a lot and I guess that sort of softens some of the rougher edges for me. Don't get me wrong the Mako is a pain in the butt, but the rest of the game is just butter. :) Haven't been able to play the second one yet, alas, but hopefully soon!
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By natetodamax

Oblivion is such a great game. I might get back into it sometime when I'm done with Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age, both of which are fantastic.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By davidwitten22

I'm about 25 hours into Oblivion now. I'm pretty much trying to finish off the Shivering Isles expansion, though I recently just went back into Cyrrodil to play stuff in the normal town. I bought that manor that has ghosts in it and atm I'm scared that the quest is broken :/. Either way, I love Oblivion, it's just so damn long. I've only played the main quest up to the point where you close that first Oblivion gate, and I haven't even found any of the Nights of the Nine stuff(or whatever that other expansion is)

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Right on. I'd like to beat Oblivion, but I've just never been able to get into it. Certain things about it drive me freaking crazy and I quickly find myself becoming so bored and tired of the game. I may still give it another chance, someday, if I ever finish Fallout 3.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By maxszy

Congrats man! I had a great time with it, yet I never beat it. Maybe I'll go back some day. Its really good no doubt, and a much enjoyed experience.

Nice achievement! That's quite a fear finishing Oblivion!

amarriner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By amarriner
@natetodamax: Yeah Dragon Age is just about to jump up to the top of my list, too. Looks terrific. 

@davidwitten22: Hmm, I don't think I bought that house, actually. Sounds like I did sort of what you did: leave the main quest until last. Well almost last in my case. I did Shivering Isles after it, but I did all the guild quests first. They were just more compelling for me.

@TheGreatGuero: Yeah that's sort of what a few people have said to me, too, that it just bores them and they just can't stay with it. I can definitely see where it wouldn't be for everyone.

@Maxszy: Heh it definitely took a while for me to get through but I'm glad I did. I still haven't done the Knights of the Nine quest line, but I'll probably put that on hold for a while. In fact, since my character turned into a Vampire I'll probably start a new one because I don't feel like dealing with that. :)
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Maxszy said:
" Congrats man! I had a great time with it, yet I never beat it. Maybe I'll go back some day. Its really good no doubt, and a much enjoyed experience.  Nice achievement! That's quite a fear finishing Oblivion! "
My friend has never finished the main quest, but he's dumped two hundred hours into Oblivion across two different characters. That is mind-boggling to me.
Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Semition
@Sir_Ragnarok said:
My friend has never finished the main quest, but he's dumped two hundred hours into Oblivion across two different characters. That is mind-boggling to me. "
That was the same case for me. During the first 100 hours I played Oblivion, I didn't get any further than "Deliver the Amulet" quest.
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By TheHBK

I love Oblivion and still one of those games that I go back to, but man, its the one that makes me wish I had never played it so I can experience it for the first time again.