Oblivion still holds up...

Gruel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Edited By Gruel

...but closing all those damn Oblivion gates is a chore....thank goodness for the dupe glitch and invisibility potions!

Gruel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Gruel

...but closing all those damn Oblivion gates is a chore....thank goodness for the dupe glitch and invisibility potions!

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By FLStyle

I'm going to start it again and make the one-man army class. What I've always wanted to know is can you take a NPC mid-mission, like one of the Fighters guild guys during a FG mission, go through a gate and a make him help you close them? Or do they not go through the gate with you?

atrumtempestas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By atrumtempestas

I would say that Morrowind still holds up, and a much better game it is. Mmm...Ash Zombie.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By maxszy
atrumtempestas said:
I would say that Morrowind still holds up, and a much better game it is. Mmm...Ash Zombie.
I would agree that Morrowind still holds up, but I would have to say that I though Oblivion was a better game. I put way more hours into that than I did Morrowind. Granted, I did put a lot into both.
CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CoverlessTech

These things always turn into a poll. Both where pretty great but Oblivion's Level System ruined it for me. I'm sure there is a decent mod to fix all that by now though right? Maybe I'll pick up a copy for PC. Can anyone point me to a good mod to fix the level system?

Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Teaspoon83

When I hit the mission to close all the gates outside each city, that is where I stopped playing and moved on, one time was enough.  But it really is a great game the first time around.

AlteracBarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AlteracBarry

I remember the days of spamming an alteration spell on chests (right magic type?) and getting to use mah "Open Hard Lock"  after about 45mins DX
Both that and fallout 3 were both too easy, morrowind I couldn't navigate though.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By keyhunter

Thanks to 100% chameleon and 100% shield oblivion has never been easier.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ninjakiller
Staff said:
Has been deleted..
Oblivion is completely overrated.
Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By Brundage

then why the fuck inst it on steam!

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By alexl86
Maxszy said:
atrumtempestas said: I would say that Morrowind still holds up, and a much better game it is. Mmm...Ash Zombie. I ... [more]
I would disagree with you both. Though I really liked Morrowind, it doesn't hold up well. The game has more than a few bugs, it's pretty outdated(fumbling with your journal every time you're going somewhere is pretty tiring) and you can become impossibly powerful... which I sort of missed sometimes in Oblivion, but it makes the game very easy.

As for Oblivion, the only things I really don't like is the leveled enemies, making sure I level up two attributes at the same time and closing all those Oblivion gates, and I miss a few spells from Morrowind, but overall Oblivion is a far better game.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By toowalrus

I thought Oblivion was pretty boring when it came out. I really want to finish it, but I just can't...

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Carlos1408

I loved the game and put many hours into it.... but eventually I did see why it was boring.
When it came out though I was amazed by the engrossing world, now it seems a bit bland... but I still love it, that game will always have a place in my heart.

Edit: I wouldn't really say it holds up now, with the current expectations for games (especially techinically), but when it came out I thought it was amazing.
I actually think it's one of those games that you have to play.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pazy

For me it still holds up, theres nothing about the game that really feels "old" or "stale" yet. Admittadly ive played less than 100 hours total (though for me more than 10 hours total is an acheivment on any game including Multiplayer) im still finding new characters and quests. The world still feels big and still feels more like a "world" than a game map. Though admittadly im playing it as more of an "Action-RPG", or maybe an action game with good story by using the duplication glitch to make health items/money etc. which luckely for me is still a lot of fun since the best bit is the characters.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By CL60

Yes, it indeed still holds up.

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Muttinus_Rump
CoverlessTech said:
These things always turn into a poll. Both where pretty great but Oblivion's Level System ruined it for me. I'm ... [more]
I use AF Leveling Mod, it automatically increases your attributes based on what skills you use. So it basically means you don't have to micromanage each separate skill to get those big stat increases. You can get it here http://www.fuzionmedia.com/oblivion/afleveling.html I don't know if this is exactly what you were after, but it worked for me.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the heck out of Oblivion, but I wouldn't want to go back to it. I don't think I can play any one-man-army games anymore. Just makes it too boring. I like to have other NPCs to interact with. That immerses me more. Hence why I love Mass Effect, despite a few of it's flaws.

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By PowerSerj
@CoverlessTech: Go here. I still regularly play Oblivion because the modding community is arguably one of the best ever. I wouldn't be able to go back to vanilla Oblivion without everything feeling super underwhelming.

Also, what part of the leveling system don't you like?
Dyergram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dyergram

I loved oblivion but couldnt bring myself to finish the main story dispite the fact i have 890 acheivements in it. And yea you can take npcs through the gates with you but they pretty much just get their ass kicked die and leave you feeling guilty...

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By keyhunter

Closing those gates really easy. All you have to do is go to the mages guild and enchant your items to 100% chameleon you. Run into the gates, grab the sigil stone and you're done. It takes like 10 minutes.

RedHerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RedHerb

The leveling system in oblivion was something that i hadn't really seen done before ( i realise that it probably had, but at the time ...). But i guess it's not perfect, i remember a lot of holding block and spaming a spell just to increase my healing or whatnot and alot of jumping from high places over and over. And while the 25, 50 etc level bonus were cool. level to level not so much difference.

Was it simular in morrowmind? i didn't get very far in that game. gave up after losing an intense battle with a rat... that and i was to tired to read walls of inane text.
Wonder if the next Elder Scroll (i'm guessing in 2011) will adopt more of fallout 3 system or is this system defining of Elder scrolls?

mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mattysen

I found playing it recently, Oblivion didn't seem as mind blowing. It was the first time in about 3 months. The voices are really starting to take there tole with me, and a couple of the guild quest's have glitches that usually, I am not to fussed by, but when you cant do the damn quest it pisses me off.

(usually when you have to find a specific person and the marker on the map is invalid)
mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mattysen

I found playing it recently, Oblivion didn't seem as mind blowing. It was the first time in about 3 months. The voices are really starting to take there tole with me, and a couple of the guild quest's have glitches that usually, I am not to fussed by, but when you cant do the damn quest it pisses me off.

(usually when you have to find a specific person and the marker on the map is invalid)
Diablos1125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Diablos1125

Good thing to, I got the feeling of wanting to play the other day. With schol out, I'm gonna have so much free time :)

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By JJWeatherman

Oblivion S rank FTW!

peter_j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By peter_j
JJWeatherman said:
Oblivion S rank FTW!
Same. YEAH!!!
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mordukai

Personally I think Oblivion is a better game then Fallout 3. 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By JJWeatherman
mordukai said:
I actually just started Fallout 3. Bought all the DLC in advance lol. So I hope it's still good. Seems good so far.
Andrecova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Andrecova

It still holds up in my opinion, it's one of the games I enjoyed the most.
Even though the leveling system wasn't the best, and you could be invisible all the time by having 100% chameleon, it was still a great game for me.

I finished both Oblivion's and Shivering Isles' main quest, all the guild quests and most of the side quests with my sneaking archer.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Systech

I actually was just playing some a week ago and it gave me fond memories of my nerd version of spring break.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
RedHerb said:
The leveling system in oblivion was something that i hadn't really seen done before ( i realise that it probably ... [more]
The leveling is exactly the same, just in morrowind, generally, there were more skills.  Blade was short blade, medium blade, longblade etc.  More skills.
And enemies weren't leveled, but you'd find more of X enemy type dependent on level.
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#32  Edited By the8bitNacho
Staff said:
Has been deleted..

Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By pirate_republic
atrumtempestas said:
Morrowind's graphics are unplayably bad.
ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ParanoidFreak
mordukai said:
I agree, I enjoy the setting of Oblivion more than Fallout.
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By ImperiousRix

Definitely.  I believe Oblivion will hold up for a while now, though there certainly are elements (the Oblivion gates as mentioned) that aren't spectacular.
I actually feel that, when it comes to Fallout 3 or Oblivion, the difference in quality is actually negligible.

Avatar image for pissedoffthewitch
pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

im still amazed that i can go back and play this game and still find something new that i never seen before

mongoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mongoose

I loved Oblivion and would happily play it more, however Fallout 3 has me in its grasp and it is not letting go.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By CL60
pirate_republic said:
atrumtempestas said: I would say that Morrowind still holds up, and a much better game it is. Mmm...Ash Zombie. Morrowind's ... [more]
Fail.
Retrogimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By Retrogimp

I've put just under 200 hours into Oblivion, and still have stuff to do. And just reading this stuff makes me want to go back and play it. Incredible, really.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By delta_ass

That's actually a blog post?

Dude, that thing hardly qualifies as a Twitter post.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Demyx

It holds up, I'm on my second character.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By turbomonkey138

I re-bought it again yesturday  . I got it for the P.C. this time and all i can say is , omg the xbox version is down right ugly in comparison .

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RsistncE

I hate Oblivion. Worst piece of shit game ever. Zombie Guards who can walk underwater? Instant mind linked crime reporting? NO WORRIES. Illogical inconsistencies yay! Fucking worse than that garbage Fallout 3. 

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By turbomonkey138
RsistncE said:
I hate Oblivion. Worst piece of shit game ever. Zombie Guards who can walk underwater? Instant mind linked crime reporting? ... [more]
OMG I'M SO OFFENDED
Not really but good try
Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Despite my hatred for level scaling, it is a truly awesome game.  It's on my list of PC games to return to.

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By PowerSerj
turbomonkey138 said:
RsistncE said: I hate Oblivion. Worst piece of shit game ever. Zombie Guards who can walk underwater? Instant mind linked ... [more]
No, not really a good try at all.