Obscure current generation console games

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

As the current console generation winds down and games I find worthy of full retail price have started to become a much rarer occurrence I've found myself seeking out games that I either missed during this generation or games that I maybe wouldn't usually play otherwise. Does anyone have any recommendations for good, obscure-ish games that came out for either console this generation that you think are at least worth giving a go? As long as it's not too expensive I'm pretty much willing to try it.

Slumberpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Slumberpunch

Singularity was a great little shooter that slipped under the radar. I just checked Amazon and you can pick up a new copy for under $13. Give it a try!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Also, Radiant Historia.
Also, Radiant Historia.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slumberpunch said:

Singularity was a great little shooter that slipped under the radar. I just checked Amazon and you can pick up a new copy for under $13. Give it a try!

Already played it! But I agree, that game is awesome.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I liked Timeshift a whole lot when I played it. That was a while ago, though.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I really like Child of Eden. Maybe give that a show, I bet it is super cheap now, if maybe hard to find.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Dead to Rights: Retribution

rentacop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rentacop

DJ Hero was a pretty fun rhythm game that I haven't seen talked about in a couple years.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By musubi

Culdcept Saga was a great game on Xbox 360. Its like a cross between Monopoly and Magic the Gathering with some RPG elements overlaid. The demo is as far as I know still up on LIVE too so go check it out. I foolishly sold my copy.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Space Marine and Metro 2033. Not the most obscure but didn't sell too well either.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At PAX 2012, I asked if they had a copy of Blood on the Sand at the console freeplay room. They scoffed at the request.

Also, while not a console game, Infinite Space needs to be re-printed or re-released on another platform.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Any Call of Duty game, hidden gems.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Valkyria Chronicles.

No Caption Provided

Even if you don't like anime, you'll like this game. Great combat system.

It didn't sell well in America because it was published by Sega, which means it had zero marketing push.

Fucking Sega.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@pr1mus said:

Space Marine and Metro 2033. Not the most obscure but didn't sell too well either.

I believe it's spelled "Shpashe Murrain".

FLYmeatwad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FLYmeatwad

I need to give Valkyria another shot. I love strategy games, and at least like anime, but didn't like much about VC at all. Just felt like there were a ton of cutscenes/comic book sequences telling a story I didn't care about when I just wanted to play. Felt like the actual gameplay time was a fraction of the time I spent listening to the story. But I also didn't get super far, so perhaps that changes. It didn't after like three hours though, so I just stopped playing. Perhaps I'll pop that in while I wait for the big March games to release.

I agree with the person who said Radiant Historia for sure though. A great RPG, I actually prefer it to Chrono Trigger (which people won't agree with, but whatever). I need to check out that Fragile Dreams thing too.

dabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rise of the Argonauts; ancient Greek mythology with the WRPG trappings of a Bioware/Obsidian game.

Tron: Evolution; A decent action platformer that you may enjoy if Tron's aesthetic is your thing.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flymeatwad: The tutorial missions are rather short and that's why the story cutscene to gameplay ratio is off at first. I'd say that the missions start to get much longer once you do the mission in East Vassel (Chapter 4 or 5 I think).

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Sooty

If you look to Japan you can find a lot of games that never made it to the west.

and if you don't speak Japanese it's not necessarily the end of the world unless it's a heavily story focused game.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@video_game_king: I see this game posted in almost every "games nobody played" thread here. Are you the one doing this?

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
FLYmeatwad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy: Hmm, I think that's around where I stopped. Not harm popping it back in and restarting I guess, it definitely seems like a game I would love.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

The unsung hero of this generation.

dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dropabombonit: Oh, I know. By unsung hero, I meant it was good, just pretty much everyone forgets it even existed.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nier is the best game ever made (in my opinion, obviously)

you should play it

because no one really did and all the critics hate it because they're terrible

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

Pure is a fantastic racing game that I had a blast with, and there are tons of Xbox Live Indie Games that slipped under everyone's radar. My personal favorite is Arkedo Series - 03 PIXEL.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sathingtonwaltz: The only people who played Warhawk past the first year are people who have put in hundreds and sometimes thousands of hours. New players are just not going to find it fun playing against that competition. It's much more difficult to pick up and play than a Halo or CoD style multiplayer. Since the game does such a terrible job of teaching players the mechanics 85% of players only played for 3 hours or less.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@animasta said:

Nier is the best game ever made (in my opinion, obviously)

you should play it

because no one really did and all the critics hate it because they're terrible

Nier is one of the most interesting and heartbreaking games ever made. The game part of Nier is aggressively mediocre and at times bad. Still totally worth playing though. Just get the Phoenix Spear as soon as possible.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

This thread reminds me how much I want to play Fragile Dreams and Folklore. Before the gen is over, I swear.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#32  Edited By Kidavenger

I finished Alpha Protocol last weekend, not sure it counts as obscure but it wasn't a big hit and it's very much worth playing.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ozzdog12
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

DoublePlusRad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DoublePlusRad

One of my (embarrassing) favorites of this gen that no one else played and / or hated if they did play was Operation Darkness for the Xbox 360. Everyone hates it largely because the graphics are barely PS2 quality and the camera is the worst that has ever appeared in an SRPG.

That being said, the story is ridiculously amazing (It's WW2 alternative history with Werewolves and Vampires, Anime, etc.) and full of characters with stupid over the top personalities, and the game is pretty damn good from an SRPG standpoint. Again though, the camera is the absolute worst ever and this game has a 46 metacritic score. I would never have played it if it wasn't sub $10 and published by Atlus.

kn00tcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kn00tcn

wait, what games do you normally play, & do things like flower or other non retail count as under the radar?

baja edge of control (NOT 1000 from activision), the darkness, army of 2 (1, 2), skate (1, 2, 3), the 2 tony hawk games before the skateboard controller, afro samurai, haze, fracture, eat lead, simpsons, bourne, deblob, enslaved, MAG, valkyria chronicles & folklore as mentioned earlier, midnight club LA, mx vs atv untamed (reflex & alive are harder to control), smash cars, super rub a dub, every pixeljunk game, mushroom wars, microbot, funky lab rat, eat them, crash commando, burn zombie burn, blast factor, auditorium hd....

well i could keep listing small or 'indie' games but then it just becomes a list of games to check out that may or may not be mainstream & that you may or may not have played already

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

asuras wrath

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By Dalai

It's been a long time since I've booted it up and I'm sure the community consists of only 3 people now, but Altitude was, and might still be a great game.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Prince of Persia game from 2008 with the cell shaded graphics was actually a surprisingly good game that's worth giving a go if you haven't done so.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I really enjoyed Madworld for the Wii. Not terribly obscure, but it sold like shit and didn't seem to make much of an impression on the community.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feel like I've said this too many times before, but Resonance of Fate is great. It's a gameplay focused jrpg with unique and interesting combat, levelling and loot/crafting, while also having some pretty damn ridicolous story-points. It's one of very few games I've played through more than twice this generation, which is sorta impressive considering it's a 30+ hour game.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Wanted: Weapons of Fate came and went with little fanfare but the curving bullets mechanic is neat and deserves to be tried out.

Loading Video...
hughesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By hughesman
No Caption Provided

Very cool card/board game. One of these will set you back 70 bucks if you want a new one. There aren't many games from the current gen that are actually worth more now then they were when they launched.

hughesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo: I was thinking about playing that, you might have just convinced me.

@doubleplusrad: If it makes you feel any better i also very much enjoyed operation darkness. I guess it would be crazy to hold out hope for a portable version of that game or hope for a new game in that series.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@animasta: Is that game still worth it even if I know "the twist"? (the way I remember it, it sounded like a twist anyway...) My friend told me about around the time it came because I had no interest in playing in it, but after hearing that, I feel I may have spoiled it for myself.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By peritus

Wait, are you asking for just xbox and playstation games or games for the whole generation? Because Wii would count right?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Anyway, i would say Muramasa. Also Bladestorm maybe? ( i really like bladestorm! )