• 124 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Posted by sungahymn (1023 posts) -

Are there any obscure games you like quite a bit? It doesn't have to be in your favorite games list, but something that you like that not many other people seem to know about.

I thought of this topic when I thought of Metal Arms: Glitch in the System. It was quite a fun little third-person shooter game, with surprising amount of depth and humor. There are some parts that are rather a drag, but all in all it was pretty good.

#2 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3487 posts) -
#3 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -
#4 Posted by Sgtpierceface (631 posts) -

Halo.

#5 Posted by BeachThunder (12089 posts) -

I'm not sure what counts as obscure, but Bioshock's pretty cool...

#6 Edited by believer258 (11991 posts) -

Omega Boost was pretty fucking great.

It had a live action intro. To a PS1 game. And it was better than Resident Evil's. And it was made by the guys who did Gran Turismo.

EDIT: Also, Hot Wheels Turbo Racing, Singularity and Timeshift.

#7 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Freshly Picked Tingles Rosy Ruppeland is a fascinating game, it is both a solid RPG and a good backstory to the character Tingle.

#8 Posted by BBAlpert (1526 posts) -
#9 Edited by theManUnknown (180 posts) -
#10 Posted by SaFt (385 posts) -

Incredible Crisis for the PS1 maybe? Can't really think of anything else.

#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

You might as well ask me to post half my effing blogs here.

@believer258 said:

Omega Boost was pretty fucking great.

Also, this.

#12 Posted by BaconBuTTy (173 posts) -

There was this indie game that was made in England and I think it was built on the Net Yaroze thing, and it was only released (as far as I know) on an OPSM demo disk.

Two players (or one player versus cpu) - It was sort of like Puzzle Bobble. You chose from different small animals (I always chose the little Pig guy because he was AWESOME) and you had to throw little colour coded bubbles upwards onto your board and make them connect according to colour, adding them to your opponents board and beating them by filling their board. It had a 90s euro dance soundtrack, and cutesey graphics and me and my friend spent fucking HOURS AND HOURS playing it. It was fantastic -

And I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called. I would love to know what happened to the people who made it, if anything.

#13 Posted by coakroach (2492 posts) -
#14 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

An old educational game from the 80's called Robot Odyssey. You had to use actual logic gates and circuits to control robots.

#15 Posted by falling_fast (2243 posts) -

erm

well, I like turn based war games, many of which aren't even catalogued on this site.

#16 Posted by TwoLines (2819 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Omega Boost was pretty fucking great.

It had a live action intro. To a PS1 game. And it was better than Resident Evil's. And it was made by the guys who did Gran Turismo.

EDIT: Also, Hot Wheels Turbo Racing, Singularity and Timeshift.

Oh GOD! Omega Boost! YES! That game was amazing.

#17 Posted by Pie (7108 posts) -

Recently I would say Nitronic Rush and not enough people have played To the Moon

#18 Posted by PolygonSlayer (430 posts) -
#19 Posted by AlisterCat (5631 posts) -

Number Munchers.

#20 Posted by LackingSaint (1832 posts) -

Hype: The Time Quest for the Playstation 2.

#21 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

Wheel of Time (the FPS style game that came out in 1999).

Not really as obscure as no-steam PC, the XBLIG wasteland, or wii homebrew channel parts. But this particular game never had much attention, and it made for a surprisingly cool take on deathmatch.

#22 Posted by Inkerman (1452 posts) -

Circus Maximus, best co-op game on the PS2 hands down.

#23 Posted by Fire_Of_The_Wind (171 posts) -

Suikoden 1&2.

#24 Posted by Morningstar (2189 posts) -
#25 Posted by Puddlesworth (59 posts) -

Not really obscure but I love single-player mount and blade so goddamn much. I go back to it every few months. I just love being an absurd god on horseback.

#26 Posted by Khemitude (222 posts) -

@BaconBuTTy said:

There was this indie game that was made in England and I think it was built on the Net Yaroze thing, and it was only released (as far as I know) on an OPSM demo disk.Two players (or one player versus cpu) - It was sort of like Puzzle Bobble. You chose from different small animals (I always chose the little Pig guy because he was AWESOME) and you had to throw little colour coded bubbles upwards onto your board and make them connect according to colour, adding them to your opponents board and beating them by filling their board. It had a 90s euro dance soundtrack, and cutesey graphics and me and my friend spent fucking HOURS AND HOURS playing it. It was fantastic -And I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called. I would love to know what happened to the people who made it, if anything.

Fuck yes I remember playing it on that demo disk though also have no idea of the name of it, but that shit was awesome!

Also fucking Net Yaroze thats something I thought I would never hear about again in my life!

#27 Posted by Jams (2962 posts) -

Perfect Weapon on the PSX will always hold a place in my heart. I remember thinking it used to have realistic backgrounds. Couldn't really stand the tank controls as a kid though. I even searched it out recently and got myself a copy.

Front cover of Perfect Weapon (US) for PlayStation
#28 Posted by BaconBuTTy (173 posts) -
@Khemitude

@BaconBuTTy said:

There was this indie game that was made in England and I think it was built on the Net Yaroze thing, and it was only released (as far as I know) on an OPSM demo disk.Two players (or one player versus cpu) - It was sort of like Puzzle Bobble. You chose from different small animals (I always chose the little Pig guy because he was AWESOME) and you had to throw little colour coded bubbles upwards onto your board and make them connect according to colour, adding them to your opponents board and beating them by filling their board. It had a 90s euro dance soundtrack, and cutesey graphics and me and my friend spent fucking HOURS AND HOURS playing it. It was fantastic -And I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called. I would love to know what happened to the people who made it, if anything.

Fuck yes I remember playing it on that demo disk though also have no idea of the name of it, but that shit was awesome!

Also fucking Net Yaroze thats something I thought I would never hear about again in my life!

WE. MUST. FIND OUT. WHAT THIS GAME. WAS CALLED.
#29 Posted by razkazz (169 posts) -

I had a lot of fun with Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex for PS2 when I discovered it existed about a year ago. It's really well paced and full of action, never really gets frustrating or buggy, and perfectly captures the spirit of the series.

#30 Posted by AdebisiStyle (16 posts) -

Kingdom of Loathing. Yes, a browser based free-to-play game. Only game I'e ever played for 3 years straight though. It's pretty awesome.

#31 Posted by PolygonSlayer (430 posts) -

@BaconBuTTy said:

@Khemitude

@BaconBuTTy said:

There was this indie game that was made in England and I think it was built on the Net Yaroze thing, and it was only released (as far as I know) on an OPSM demo disk.Two players (or one player versus cpu) - It was sort of like Puzzle Bobble. You chose from different small animals (I always chose the little Pig guy because he was AWESOME) and you had to throw little colour coded bubbles upwards onto your board and make them connect according to colour, adding them to your opponents board and beating them by filling their board. It had a 90s euro dance soundtrack, and cutesey graphics and me and my friend spent fucking HOURS AND HOURS playing it. It was fantastic -And I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called. I would love to know what happened to the people who made it, if anything.

Fuck yes I remember playing it on that demo disk though also have no idea of the name of it, but that shit was awesome!

Also fucking Net Yaroze thats something I thought I would never hear about again in my life!

WE. MUST. FIND OUT. WHAT THIS GAME. WAS CALLED.

Agh! I remember this!! I haven't thought about that game since... since I played it back then, yonks ago! Can't... remember.... the.... name X_X

#32 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -
#33 Posted by C0V3RT (1377 posts) -
#34 Posted by NinjaBerd (221 posts) -

pod, an old racing game for the PC. I spent waaaaaay too much time with that game.

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/pod_gold

I am afraid to go back and play it, fearing my love was just nostalgia.

#35 Posted by Khemitude (222 posts) -

@PolygonSlayer said:

@BaconBuTTy said:

@Khemitude

@BaconBuTTy said:

There was this indie game that was made in England and I think it was built on the Net Yaroze thing, and it was only released (as far as I know) on an OPSM demo disk.Two players (or one player versus cpu) - It was sort of like Puzzle Bobble. You chose from different small animals (I always chose the little Pig guy because he was AWESOME) and you had to throw little colour coded bubbles upwards onto your board and make them connect according to colour, adding them to your opponents board and beating them by filling their board. It had a 90s euro dance soundtrack, and cutesey graphics and me and my friend spent fucking HOURS AND HOURS playing it. It was fantastic -And I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called. I would love to know what happened to the people who made it, if anything.

Fuck yes I remember playing it on that demo disk though also have no idea of the name of it, but that shit was awesome!

Also fucking Net Yaroze thats something I thought I would never hear about again in my life!

WE. MUST. FIND OUT. WHAT THIS GAME. WAS CALLED.

Agh! I remember this!! I haven't thought about that game since... since I played it back then, yonks ago! Can't... remember.... the.... name X_X

After doing some googling it turns out to be Super Bub Contest

#36 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -
#37 Edited by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -
#38 Edited by cloudymusic (1160 posts) -

I could name a bunch of old Apple II-era games that I really liked that I've never heard a single person talk about. One that comes to mind is Wilderness: A Survival Adventure, a surprisingly realistic and complex survivalism simulator for its time period.

There are also some old Sierra adventure games from the 80's that nobody ever seems to remember. Gold Rush! was pretty solid and had a really large sense of scale. The Black Cauldron was another pretty good one, made by Al Lowe of Leisure Suit Larry fame (and you can get it for free from his web site!).

As far as actual recent games, I guess you could classify most of the weird-ass import music games and shmups that I like as "obscure."

#39 Posted by PolygonSlayer (430 posts) -

@Khemitude: Awesome! Yep, that's the one! Hahaha, man, those sound effects. lol

Sweet, now I really regret not bringing my old PS1 demo discs that I got stacked away at my old folks house. I should have done that this xmas, I was even thinking about it. :/

#40 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4690 posts) -

Tower of heaven is a flash game I was very impressed with. I think I lose site on what is considered obscure when I follow games so intently. Is Child of Eden obscure? Around here I bet everyone is aware of that game.

#41 Posted by TooSweet (389 posts) -

@C0V3RT: I used to rent City Connection from my video store. No idea what it was really about at the time but loved to play it.

#42 Posted by Arabes (339 posts) -

Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday on the Megadrive. I loved that game so much.

#43 Posted by Ducksworth (662 posts) -

You guys heard of Call of Duty? It's kind of underground and everything, you gotta be a true gamer to have heard of it but it's the best. Bro.

In all seriouness, I'd probably go with Telefang. I bought "Pokemon Diamond" during the craze and although it was obvious that it wasn't a pokemon game, I found its take on the monster catching aspect interesting as well as seeing scenarios that you wouldn't really see in a Pokemon game. The only problem was that the game would not hold a save, I don't know if it was because of a cheap battery or whatever but I never bothered finding out.

@Hizang said:

Freshly Picked Tingles Rosy Ruppeland is a fascinating game, it is both a solid RPG and a good backstory to the character Tingle.

This game is another one I'd love to check out. I believe the DS Lite is region free so I should be ok but does the game use shoulder buttons? If it doesn't I'm good, but if it does my only option is my 3DS and I'm not sure how that'll handle a PAL DS game.

#44 Edited by FaPaThY (135 posts) -

Stars!. It was the first 4X game I played, even before Civ and MoO. Minimalistic graphics, but it had a huge tech tree, tons of micro-management, and games could go on for a looooong time. I loved it.

Oh and mass drivers. Those were normally used to transport mineral packets quickly between your planets, but fling a big packet, at max speed, at an enemy planet that had no mass driver of its own to receive it...

#45 Posted by kerse (2117 posts) -

Does legend of dragoon count? It's all I can think of right now

#46 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

Power Stone and its sequel aren't really that obscure, but they've been kind of forgotten.

#47 Posted by Atlas (2454 posts) -

Depends on the definition of obscure. Obscure in the eyes of the general gaming public and more casual fans? Sure. Obscure in the eyes of people on an internet message board? Nope.

I don't really have any obscure games that I really love, but there are a few PC games that I played and liked and have never heard anyone mention. Come to think of it, I can't remember what they were called. One was a fairly generic modern RTS game, the other was called something like Economic War, and you ran a country and could nuke people and it was pretty cool. I played both around the year 2000 or so.

Extreme-G was a game I played quite a lot on the N64 and I don't think I've ever heard anyone else mention it. It was basically WipeOut but with bikes. Pretty cool stuff.

#48 Posted by Sinusoidal (1657 posts) -

I beat every puzzle in this weird generic sudoku-plus-three-other-weirder-number-puzzles game that I don't even remember the name of on my DS a few years back.

I love Sexy Parodius. Download MAME and get it working now! I played it so much in university that I could 1cc it, no death. Except for the secret level you get if you complete all mission goals. I swear that level is impossible.

My game is pretty obscure: http://wikisend.com/download/305104/PRESSSPACE_1.1.zip I think maybe 5 or 6 people have played it judging from the sad amount of feedback. I've never been good at promoting, well, anything. It's pretty awesome. Windows 64 only.

#49 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4638 posts) -

There's been a bunch of shitty PS3 rpgs I've enjoyed this generation. Cross Edge, Hyperdimension Neptunia, and Trinity Universe are a few that come to mind. I am well aware those games are riddled with problems ranging from general gameplay design to some ugly-ass-ugly graphics. But, man oh man, I had sooooooooooooooooo much fun with those games. I feel like what they lacked in budget, they made up for in heart.

Also, Cross Edge is probably the best rpg this generation because it features Felicia.

Online
#50 Posted by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -

Cat poke

Poking cats and solving puzzles are fun!