snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By snide

Hey all -

The past week I've thrown up some posts asking about how you'd like to see the homepage and profiles work on giant bomb. Here's some of general points I think everyone agrees with (including me).

Homepage
  1. It needs to update more. Since our news posting isn't as comprehensive as some of the other sites there are large chunks of time where it can get stale. We need to improve either by increasing our post count or looking into ways to bring content from other sites onto our own in an intelligent way that is useful.
  2. If you're logged in, the page should give you quick glances to what your friends are up to and what's happening in the community around the games you track. You shouldn't have to go to your profile to see this.
  3. Forum/blog level content needs to float up to the homepage.
  4. You want control over what goes where and how it's formatted. Drag and drop modules would be nice.
Profiles
  1. You want more control over the look of your profile. Banners and colors for a start.
  2. We need to link at the very least your X360 and Steam accounts to your GB profile.
  3. Everyone wants different modules displayed in different ways. We need to give you not only the control to move modules around, but to allow you to view things in compact vs. expanded views.
  4. We should allow you to connect your profiles to other social accounts (your blog somewhere else, twitter, facebook...etc).
I think I've got a decent idea on where to go from here. Jeff and I are going to do a mini town-hall on the subject with some of the BSHAF guys to make sure we're not total idiots with our new ideas.

Feel free to keep the discussion going as I still love hearing new ideas.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 106

#2  Edited By citizenkane

All of my wishes are on those two lists.  Well, I also want to organize the order of my lists.

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By randiolo

sounds good guys, but one thing id like to see is a new way to catalog or organize the videos on the site.  its a real pain pressing          " next page " to back track to the video of Jeff playing mega man or the PAX clips. Everything els is sweet thoe !

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By kush

Sounds great...can't wait until these ideas become a reality.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By ThomasP

I think all those upgrades would be welcomed additions by the community.

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By snide
randiolo said:
"sounds good guys, but one thing id like to see is a new way to catalog or organize the videos on the site.  its a real pain pressing          " next page " to back track to the video of Jeff playing mega man or the PAX clips. Everything els is sweet thoe !"
I think adding search to videos would solve this problem.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Karmum

Sounds awesome, good to see an update in tracking games could be implemented in the future. Good luck.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Rowr

Wow, awesome.

Just dont listen to anything JensonB says, that kid is a derelict!

Arsenal86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Arsenal86

cool everything I wanted is on the lists. Its good that you guys listen to our needs

daz0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By daz0608

Nice ideas

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BoG

You know, my #1 wish would be separation of blog and forum. Put blogs somewhere else, in the same format as the forums, but just separate the two! Also, a reworking of the main guides page so it is easier to use.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By citizenkane

Stop being racists against blogs, BoG!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Blogs have feelings too...

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By albedos_shadow

COLLECTIONS! I DEMAND IT!

bekern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bekern
BoG said:
"You know, my #1 wish would be separation of blog and forum. Put blogs somewhere else, in the same format as the forums, but just separate the two! Also, a reworking of the main guides page so it is easier to use."
I agree with this. Maybe make a community blogs section under the blog button on the top of the site and have it so you can browse them all there.
Also yey I kinda always wished profiles could have headers :). Everything on those lists are great.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kush

I think that the homepage should "talk" to each individual user...have Jeff pop up in a video saying "Hi *computer voice sounds out username in stereotypical fashion*, you sure are swell!" ...and then Luchadeer pops up and gives you a wink! A possible way to have more news (and more) updates on the front page at a more frequent rate is to have some sort of system like N4G where users can submit and post news, but unlike N4G it would probably be best to have a few specific members who actively search out news like a "News-specific" moderator...I'm not saying that it's a great idea, but it's just an idea I randomly thought of at this particular moment.

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By randiolo
snide said:
"randiolo said:
"sounds good guys, but one thing id like to see is a new way to catalog or organize the videos on the site.  its a real pain pressing          " next page " to back track to the video of Jeff playing mega man or the PAX clips. Everything els is sweet thoe !"
I think adding search to videos would solve this problem."
your an idea's man.. i like it.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By brukaoru
bekern said:
"BoG said:
"You know, my #1 wish would be separation of blog and forum. Put blogs somewhere else, in the same format as the forums, but just separate the two! Also, a reworking of the main guides page so it is easier to use."
I agree with this. Maybe make a community blogs section under the blog button on the top of the site and have it so you can browse them all there.
Also yey I kinda always wished profiles could have headers :). Everything on those lists are great."
Agreed. Perhaps a separate "blog" section on the forums would be good, I think.

Great to know new features will be implemented soon! :D
Shinryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Shinryu
SuperMooseman said:
"Well, there isn't much else to say apart from: yes.
Also, sorry to be a dick, but when did the BSHAF guys become the approval/disapproval of new features for the site?"
I too wonder this o.0
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kush

Also, I'm not the biggest fan of blogs in the forums, but I guess the ability to hide all blog posts is good enough.

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By randiolo

Was thinking and maybe on the profile page there could be a section where all the games you are tracking, on wish list or games you own have a news or update feed that allows you to see if their has been a blog entry from the staff, from users or forums posts that has something to do with the game on your list

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By OmegaPirate

Good harvest matey - not a foot wrong witht hat conculsion :D

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23  Edited By Lies
Shinryu said:
"SuperMooseman said:
Also, sorry to be a dick, but when did the BSHAF guys become the approval/disapproval of new features for the site?"
I too wonder this o.0"
Yeah, if you're looking to make sure the community likes what you're cooking up, it might be a good idea to ask a group larger than four people. BSHAF far from represents the opinions of the whole community, and relying on them as your sole test group would be a bit silly. In addition, it's kind of a snub to people who enjoy the site just as much but don't fancy putting their mouth to a microphone.

Looks like a pretty solid list. I'm not so hot on re-arrangeable profiles (makes it a hassle to find a specific module unless you know the layout), but everyone else seems to like them. More visible markers of what you've done on the site on the overview page would be nice (Check out my guides without having to click my guides tab, see my forum stats without having to go into the forums sub-tab, etc..). And make use of the blank space on either side of your "main column" on the profile. For example, my profile's pretty long, and after the wall+ friend's blogs end, there's a bunch of empty space to either side which seems ugly and wasteful. Just a few thoughts in addition to what you're going with there.

(I never got around to posting suggestions in the original thread :P)
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By BiggerBomb
SuperMooseman said:
:O

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed!

;P

I kid, SupaMoose, I kid. And it's a fair question.
snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By snide
SuperMooseman said:
They aren't. I think I've been pretty public so far in my questions/opinions with everyone, so I don't see how that's the case. As to why we're going on BSHAF, it's not the first time I've been on there and I think rewarding some dudes who have been able to consistently put up a fan made podcast every week isn't the worst thing in the world. 
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By citizenkane

You should do a video podcast with your Captain Cascader outfit on.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By citizenkane

Also, with the ability to arrange the order of your lists, you can arrange the order of the games in each of your lists.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BiggerBomb
CitizenKane said:
"Also, with the ability to arrange the order of your lists, you can arrange the order of the games in each of your lists."

Oh, I love this! I only have three objects added to my Favorites list because I only want three to show...
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BiggerBomb

^^I meant games, not objects. And because we are on the topic of suggestions, it seems appropriate to say that I had to make this post instead of editing because the "edit" option does not always work with Internet Explorer.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By Luke

Can we have the ability to Capitalize or un-capitalize our Usernames?

It would make it consistent across all pages of the site.  I'm sure in the database it doesn't care and is unique either way, but just for looks sake.  It really bothers me a lot, which I know is small gripe, but still.

Or, snide, can you please just go ahead and capitalize the "L" at the beginning of my Username, for a temp fix just for me? :D

Thanks!

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By gunswordfist
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By JoelTGM

All I wanted and more is on that list.  Looks like hard work for you guys.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By c1337us
Kush said:
"Also, I'm not the biggest fan of blogs in the forums, but I guess the ability to hide all blog posts is good enough."
Yeh I like the idea of being able to hide the blogs that are on the forums.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34  Edited By RHCPfan24

Those ideas sound great Snide. I can't wait until those ideas are reality. :)

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By Luke
RHCPfan24 said:
"Those ideas sound great Snide. I can't wait until those ideas are reality. :)"
Don't call snide "Snide"... It's "snide"

Oh, but wait, when you go to snide's Profile Page it display's as "Snide" but it's really "snide" on other places... so confused :p

lol... Seriously though, an "S" and an "s" aren't so bad, but with the way the font displays on the site my little "L" looks like a big "I" :(

A Capitolization Switcher Option and how it displays on the site (across all pages) please snide! :)
tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By tokyochicken

Definetly love alot of the ideas for the main page and prfiles, especially the blogs of the community floating the front page awesome stuff!

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#37  Edited By CaptainScarLeg
CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#38  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

Just bumping the thread, it needs to be seen by all!