Occulus rift pricing predictions

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By splodge

The rift is coming out some time in 2014, but I have no idea how expensive the consumer model will be. What are people's thoughts? It would be nice if it was priced similar to a major console accessory, around the 200 - 300 dollar mark, but is that just wishful thinking?

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

What do you consider a major console accessory? I assume the thing will cost $249.99 - 299.99 though it could be as high as $349.99 because of the relatively low demand for the item.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't care. After using the Oculus HD prototype at PAX prime this year I'm in the shut up and take my money camp.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By splodge

@sammo21 said:

What do you consider a major console accessory? I assume the thing will cost $249.99 - 299.99 though it could be as high as $349.99 because of the relatively low demand for the item.

I don't live in USA, but wasn't the Kinect somewhere in that range?

I don't care. After using the Oculus HD prototype at PAX prime this year I'm in the shut up and take my money camp.

Man I have still yet to try one, is the 1080p version that much better?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Well, 300$ is the price of the Wii U right now, so that would be more of a console price rather than a console accessory - but that would probably be an acceptable price for the Occulus I think? Hard to say, it's a new type of product altogether, so its pricing is more unpredictable.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@splodge: Yeah, but wasn't the Kinect like $100 on its own or something around there?

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I think it'll be somewhere around 300 U.S. dollars. Personally, that'd be cheap enough for me to get in on one.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Andorski

Is the consumer model going to be 1080p?

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@splodge said:

@sammo21 said:

I don't live in USA, but wasn't the Kinect somewhere in that range?

@shadowskill11 said:

Man I have still yet to try one, is the 1080p version that much better?

I never tried the original dev kit but the screen was great and I tried snapping my head around during the Hawken demo and I couldn't detect any noticeable lag. I don't know whats taking them so long to release a retail product. The thing seems like its about done.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I'm pretty sure they said at some point that they are aiming at about $300.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Which means it will be a while before I get one. I would not use the device consistently and I would need proof developers were making games especially for the peripheral opposed to these barely passable "proof of concept" demos that are being released now.