barkertron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By barkertron

Hello 

The 'fanboy' concept is starting to make me foam at the mouth. Note that I'm not just talking about the activity of fanboyism in general, which I think we can all agree is an inexplicable and irritating waste of time for everyone on the internet. I'm also talking about the word itself here. 

The problem is that fanboyism is so rife on the internet that it becomes increasingly hard to avoid. Any comments section below an article about: 

• System exclusives 
  • New hardware 
  • Any topic involving animate or inanimate objects 

quickly devolves into an raging soup of furious typists, typically declaring that the article is further proof of the imminent death/glorification of a faceless and colossal corporation which makes more money every second than you could ever stuff into your pants. 

Things have now started to get a little bit meta, with denials of fanboyism being thrown in there first as a kind of disclaimer, in much the same way as a weird uncle might start a sentence with "I'm not racist, but...". This has led to a situation in which roughly 70% of the internet now seems to consist of fanboyism, accusations of fanboyism, denials of fanboyism and unrelated posts which nonetheless contain the word 'fanboy'. 

I'm not enjoying it at all. Every time I even see the word appear, I get the sensation that a little piece of my soul has dribbled out of my ear, never to return. So, given that fanboys will always exist as long as the world contains, er, stuff, I propose that we give them a new name. Either that or I will have to stop reading comment threads altogether, which I would rather not do, because it beats the hell out of any other way of wasting time at work. 

Suggestions: 

• Flanboys
  • Spamtoys
  • Ham ploys
  • Dicks

Any other ideas welcome.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By zeforgotten

Dicks seems fine to me. 
Or morons.. 
"Waste-of-air-that-more-important-people-like-me-could-use"  Okay that's probably too long, but still. 

But again, dick (or dickheads) works fine for me.  

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By Willy105

I am not a fan of fanboyism.

Especially when they call me a fanboy. It gets on my nerves.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By Astras

As soon as you can accept people are not clones and like different things,
As soon as you can accept opinions,
As soon as you can read forums open minded and accept constructively posts from others,
As soon as you can accept that at the end of the day they are just products designed to make money,
As soon as you can experience both ends of an argument.

You usually see that the term fanboy is irrelevant.

barkertron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By barkertron
@Astras said:
" As soon as you can accept people are not clones and like different things, As soon as you can accept opinions, As soon as you can read forums open minded and accept constructively posts from others, As soon as you can accept that at the end of the day they are just products designed to make money, As soon as you can experience both ends of an argument.  You usually see that the term fanboy is irrelevant. "
Hmmmm!

What you've got there is basically a rather nice anti-fanboy manifesto, and should probably be made compulsory reading before anyone was allowed near the internet. I would much rather that fanboyism did slide into irrelevancy, it's just very hard to ignore when it's screaming at full volume on every message board out there.

I do have to say that GB is one of the few sites I can rely on to have a lower volume of this kind of thing, which makes it all the sadder when it does rear its ugly head. By the way I do realise the irony of creating a topic whining about the ubiquitous nature of fanboyism that is itself all about fanboyism. 

I really, really hate that word.
Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie
@barkertron said:
" By the way I do realise the irony of creating a topic whining about the ubiquitous nature of fanboyism that is itself all about fanboyism."
Precisely. Do we really need yet another internet-toughguy term to insult people we disagree with? I personally bailed out shortly after "noob" was the rage.