Oh No, I've Become One Of Those People! What About You?

• 55 results
themoon13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By themoon13

I picked up Dirt 3 last night and after and hour or so of the Dirt Tour I decided to shift gears (GUIZZZZ C WUT I DID DERE? OMGLOL!!11!11!) into the multiplayer. That was jolly good fun and all, and I eventually came across the hardcore playlist. Hardcore mode disables all assists which is isn't too bad for me since I generally just use the racing line, full damage is turned on and -you might want to sit down for this one- cockpit view is forced on everyone. I've never enjoyed driving from the cockpit camera before, but on this occasion I actually had a great time! I spent the rest of my gaming evening playing the hardcore playlist exclusively. Online races in Dirt are already batshitinsane and the first person view just adds another layer of insanity. I am now officially crazy! However, I'm not going to start driving cockpit across the board though, only when I know the camera is locked on all players so that everyone has the same handicap of reduced visibility.

I was wondering what the general split around here is. What kind of camera do you prefer in racing games and why? As aforementioned, I'm now a big fan of the cockpit view when everyone is using it, but otherwise I'll use the zoomed out behind the car view. I feel like driving from the first person offers a different kind of challenge (though I don't feel any added realism factor) and it's nice to mix things up when you can.

P.S. I also enjoy all of the Gymkhana stuff in D3 though from what I can tell I may be in the heavy minority here.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By TehFlan

Behind the back for me.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By MikkaQ

I am a big, big fan of the hood cam, you see a little of the hood but have an otherwise unobstructed view, when I'm using a wheel, it's the best, because it means your TV is the windshield, and it feels more realistic. 

When I use a controller (which is rare, but I'm prone to using it in Dirt and NFS) I prefer the view behind the car, just cause that's how I got used to playing with controllers.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I can't wait to buy high-end PC parts and MAX OUT D3 on a 27 inch monitor.... it's going to be a-mazing.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cookiemonster

I'm generally not very good at racing games, so I have most assists on and the camera behind the back.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gymkhana seems like exactly what I would want in this game.  I kind of want to buy this.  Anywho, Dirt is definitely the only series that has made cockpit view fun for me.  I used it in the Dirt 2 demo and it was pretty fun, but I still think I  might like behind the back better.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

I prefer the "watch my driver driving the vehicle" view from Vice City. I think I just outcrazied you.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By WickedCestus

Deadly Premonition has taught me to always play games from the cockpit view if it lets me. Always!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cockpit view for me. I feel like I have much more precise control that way. 

themoon13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By themoon13
@Video_Game_King said:
I prefer the "watch my driver driving the vehicle" view from Vice City. I think I just outcrazied you.
*head explodes*
forestd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By forestd

Behind the car view, I like looking at my vehicle. Especially when developers spend so much time making them look pretty and shiny. 

Fastpaced games like Dirt can be fun to see from a cockpit though, as it adds a bit of tension.  

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By wickedsc3

In cockpit for me....The only racing game i play is forza3

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By PerryVandell

Behind the back, because I can see more of my surroundings. 

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Julmust

Hood, behind-the-back, bumper and cockpit. In that order. I really don't like the cockpit, but I certainly see the appeal it could have.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iam3green

i like the behind the car view. i like to see the car and what it's doing when turning and be able to see behind the car.

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By sparklykiss
@GoranP said:
P.S. I also enjoy all of the Gymkhana stuff in D3 though from what I can tell I may be in the heavy minority here.
I'm looking forward to the Gymkhana stuff. That's what sold me on it. 

And I'm one of those people who finds the cockpit view to be intimidating, considering I'm a terrible driver in reality. It's behind for me (that'swhatshesaid(yepisaidthatiamashamed)) before all other views.
Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Liber

I play in cockpiit view in Dirt 3 with assists off (ABS on) and difficulty 4 and automatic gearbox.
I also play Test Drive Unlimited 2  in cockpit view but with manual shifting , I might end up switching to manual on Dirt 3 aswell.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By xpgamer7

I usually play third person when driving but lately I've been going for realism.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By Claude

Once I found cockpit, I ain't going back. Imagine F-Zero in cockpit view, fucking sweet.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By SSully

I think hardcore modes are worth a shot in any game that offer it. COD 2 multiplayer with realism servers was some of the most fun I've had with a shooter online. You were basically dead from one shot if you didn't stop you're bleeding. 

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By RobertOrri

In most driving games, if you choose cockpit/hood view willingly you're crippling yourself.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Claude
@RobertOrri said:
In most driving games, if you choose cockpit/hood view willingly you're crippling yourself.
Not really, I seem to drive better in cockpit view. It seems more natural.
Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23  Edited By Sunjammer

I love playing from the cockpit (HAHA, COCKS), but for drifting i need better situational awareness.. The Gymkhana stuff is almost unplayable to me if i'm not in the behind-the-car perspective :-/ Makes me feel a bit shit really. But I probably am anyway.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
@Claude said:
Once I found cockpit, I ain't going back. Imagine F-Zero in cockpit view, fucking sweet.
Holy crap, they should get on that, quick! Day one purchase for me. 

But I enjoy both cockpit view and third person view. 
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Claude
@PrivateIronTFU said:
@Claude said:
Holy crap, they should get on that, quick! Day one purchase for me.  But I enjoy both cockpit view and third person view. 
I would love to see Captain Falcon's hands on the wheel. Or any of the other characters.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Example1013

I'm not that great at driving games, so I generally tell direction by staying in 3rd person. It also was almost essential to use 3rd person back in NFS: HP2, because there was no explicit drift mechanics like Underground and every game since has had, so the drifts required more skill to make sure you didn't spin out. You had to know exactly which way your car was facing, hence my reliance on 3rd person.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27  Edited By bonbolapti

I get an unholy disconnect from cockpit views in driving games... so no :(

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By cinemandrew

If it is an option, I prefer cockpit view for sim-style games. For more arcade-style games, I usually prefer 3rd person behind the car. Originally, I started using it because it looks awesome, and there's that extra level of immersion. I've since gotten used to the positioning of the camera though, so if the camera is farther forward or backward, my depth perception gets thrown off. I'm sure I'd do ok with the hood cam in Dirt 3 though.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ProfessorEss

I generally like first-person but depending on the controls I go behind the back sometimes too.

I like the concept of cockpit, but I feel more natural in first-person as I find I just focus too much on the interior which is not something I do when I'm driving IRL (I assume more experience would make it less distracting).

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By Nasar7

Always cockpit view, or hood/bumper cam if that's not available.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I usually use the standard behind the car view, but every once in awhile I would use cock pit view in Dirt 2 because it just looks awesome.  I can't wait to get Dirt 3, I need money.
marblecmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By marblecmoney

I always use the cockpit view if it's available.  It just makes all the movements of the car make a little bit more sense to me.  I don't really find much benefit in being able to see everything around the car, and the only time it might matter I feel like it's stuff I wouldn't be able to avoid anyways like getting jacked while I'm in a turn.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By scarace360
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
I can't wait to buy high-end PC parts and MAX OUT D3 on a 27 inch monitor.... it's going to be a-mazing.
I can already do that :D
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MrKlorox

Welcome to enthusiasm. You'll soon realize the rest are actually the crazy ones.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By hatking

Ass cam.  Car butts are sexy. 

I don't know what it is, but I have to drive from the third person camera--yes, even in racing sims.  Maybe I'm crazy, but it's how I do.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Th3_James

I don't think it's realistic but I preffer racing with hud off in cockput or bumper, no assists, and manual. That just gives me a greater feeling of accomplishment, and I have more fun like that. 

I am by no means the best at racing games, but in DiRT 2 I was able to get 1st place times on 1 track on both the 360 and ps3 versions of the game a couple of months after release. 

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Sanity

Hood cam always.

THRICE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By THRICE

Behind the back, cockpit view feels weird and awkward for some reason. No game has really captured the feeling of sitting in a drivers seat without it restricting your view to much.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DystopiaX

Behind the back. Cockpit view is awesome but I just can't drive like that. I use it when I'm fucking around though.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By HandsomeDead

Behind the back. Without being able to see where the car is on the track, I lose all spacial awareness and hit objects more often.

themoon13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By themoon13
@HatKing said:

Ass cam.  Car butts are sexy.

Sounds like you like hitting that rush from behind amirite high five dudemanbro!!11shiftplusone!!1
@Sunjammer said:

(HAHA, COCKS)

Did you know that you you equals capital d? 

@Claude: Playing Trackmania in first person is basically F0 depending on the map. You can try out the free and more popular version of the game if that sounds like your thing, the amount of user generated tracks is pretty much endless.
proggykins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By proggykins

I used to play in third person, but I've been using the hood cam in Dirt 3 and I'm starting to like it more than third person. If I'm doing the gymkhana or drifting stuff, I feel like I need to see exactly what my car is doing though. 
 At first I really disliked the gymkhana and drifting, but it's starting to grow on me, probably until the next time I hit a gymkhana event.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Vodun

If only they could implement head-tracking so you could easily look around in cockpit. Maybe Kinect can handle it, and umm...maybe if you strap a Move controller to your face that'd work.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#44  Edited By Little_Socrates
Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always cockpit.

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By infininja

I always play in the cockpit and have done so with Dirt, Grid and Dirt 2, but I haven't played any of them online and probably won't. I'm not sure why that is.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#47  Edited By Sin4profit

I'm still an over the hood guy myself.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Vexxan

Behind the car, I like to see what I'm driving.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Branthog

Dirt, specifically, is a game I can't play in any mode except cockpit. You need to be in the driver's seat to know when to turn and how much. Imagine if you were driving your car and replaced your windshield with a monitor that viewed yourself from far behind? Your reactions would be fucked.

The only exception is that gymkhana stuff. I can only do that at all from a rear view - but even then, I fucking hate that shit.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#50  Edited By Kyle

I love the Forza series, and always play in cockpit view with all assists turned off, except braking line. And I use the 360 racing wheel.

However, in Dirt, I find it nearly impossible to play with almost any of the assists off or the racing wheel. I'm just terrible at Dirt for some reason. I've been playing Dirt 3 with a controller and only auto-braking and auto-steering turned off, in the normal 3rd-person camera.